PDA

View Full Version : Gaze of Graxis

SirArtemis
08-22-12, 08:29 PM
Inspired by the Adventurer's Crown tournament reward (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?24612) for round one and an entry I made in the vignette tournament held earlier. (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?23723)

Day 16, Seventh month of 1815 C.P.

I’ve found it! Finally. So many years. So many resources. I feel like my entire life has been spent finding the relic mother spoke of.

I feel so relieved.

This will make me the most powerful man in all Salvar. All that is left now is the final expedition. I will lead it myself. I have to be there. I can't risk losing this.

Jacob mocks me. He was always a jealous brother. He still prattles on about the damage to the kingdom. As though I care about these peasants; filthy creatures. Soon he will see. Everyone will.

Once I have the relic I will finally be given the reverence I so rightfully deserve.

For now, I must gather my team. This will be my final entry until my return. I shall keep a separate journal for the journey.

Lord K.

SirArtemis
05-22-16, 09:14 PM
Artemis held the brief note in his hand, reading the message with a furrowed brow.

Meet where 'Streams of Silver' lay dry by your hand.

He tucked the note into a pocket of his leather armor and lifted his gaze to the familiar cavern entrance where he and his first friends of Salvar had extracted a small deposit of mithril. He found the cryptic note a bit amusing; streams of silver was not uncommonly used to refer to the light white metal. Then again, only five living beings knew this particular place, and Artemis had no reason to believe any of the others would ask to meet so far from Knife’s Edge.

The young warrior let his hands fall briefly to the hilts of his twin blades, thinking of the long journey between the first step into this cavern and now.

’I remember this day as well, Artemis,’ Judicis whispered telepathically. The sentient weapon had been with the young warrior from his early days in Salvar, though he hadn’t yet known of the weapon’s consciousness.

“You were still just a bow to me then,” Artemis mumbled needlessly; after all, the bow could hear his thoughts just as well as his words. “It was quite a while before I could hear you, and even longer before I was able to shift your form.” He let out a reminiscent sigh and then quickly scaled the rocky slope, his enchanted boots and natural agility making quick work of the difficult terrain.

’Things have certainly changed,’ Judicis added with a hint of melancholy.

“That they have,” Artemis agreed. “For now let’s go see who the author of our note is . . .” He walked cautiously into the opening of the small cave, running his hand along the damp stone walls. The air tasted thick showing signs of the recent rain. The cavern was along the southern mountains of Salvar and warm as far as the region went.

Not far ahead, a humanoid shape unexpectedly walked toward the confused man. Artemis felt a strange tingle through his body, followed by the sensation of utter paralysis. He was frozen in his standing position but unable to move or speak. “I’m glad you came, Artemis,” a low and familiar voice said, though Artemis couldn’t quite place it. Before he had a chance to dwell on the matter, light illuminated the figure from the bottom up.

Crimson and gold robes reflected the light, followed by long white hair. When the figure had finally gotten close, slits of silver that seemed to glow much like Artemis’ own blue eyes stared back at the young man. Around his right eye, a tattoo of a silver dragon perched upon his brow. Artemis knew the elf staring back at him yet still felt utterly dumbfounded by his presence as well as the decision to cast such a spell. Even if the powerful magic of the ancient sorcerer were not binding him, Artemis would have had nothing to say.

With an intense look the sorcerer extended a pale hand and placed it upon Artemis’ bracer; more accurately, the passive form of Artemis’ sentient bow, Judicis. In a single breath Artemis' consciousness had withdrawn into the familiar secret realm of Judicis. Across from him sat the elf, Lord Davian, a member of the Dragon Council – ten extremely powerful elven sorcerers who individually could sneeze away a continent. The elf looked the same as a moment ago, seated in a plush crimson armchair that matched his robes quite well. Judicis sat beside him in an identical chair wearing his usual immaculate black suit, his hair and beard of white neatly trimmed.

“Forgive me for the secrecy Artemis, I know this is likely quite confusing for you. Please, join us and I will explain.” Artemis knew Judicis’ powerful magic had already informed him of all he needed to know, as anyone the bow came in contact with immediately copied their memories over to the artifact's limitless archives. This was not the first time the young warrior had been thrust into such a situation, but the presence of this particular individual still baffled him.

Artemis ran a hand through his short black hair and sat in the remaining chair. Between the trio sat a small mahogany coffee table with an elegant porcelain tea set. Judicis poured a cup for each guest before lifting his own and sitting back in his seat. The trio sat encased by bookshelves filled with endless tomes, each representing the collections of any individual who had even grazed Judicis’ physical form. The shelves climbed as high as the eye could see, disappearing into a black void with no ceiling in sight.

“I’ll never get tired of this lovely study of yours, Judicis. Your elegant tastes leave me feeling so at ease. And your beautiful collection continues to grow!” Davian commented politely. Judicis gave a nod of appreciation and left it at that. The elf turned his attention back to the young man across from him and began seriously. “Artemis, I have a favor to ask of you. Truly I think you’re the only one I can trust with such a matter.”

“What is happening?” was all the young man could say in reply.

SirArtemis
05-25-16, 08:01 PM
Davian looked at Artemis with a gravity and concern that seemed almost out of place on the face of a man of such power. “Artemis, I need your help.”

Artemis shook his head in disbelief. “Lord Davian, I mean no disrespect, but not only do I not know you, but from what is said of you and the Dragon Council, what could someone like me possibly have to offer?”

“What do you know of the Dragon Council?” Davian countered, lifting the porcelain of his tea cup and sipping quietly.

“Well,” Artemis began, lowering his gaze to the elegant plush carpet, “they say that the Dragon Council are ancient sorcerers and sorceresses. They say you show up once a year in a major city of Althanas at random as a show of power, to remind people that you are all present and watching. They say you are some of the most powerful beings living today and that you don’t meddle in the politics of the world unless absolutely necessary.”

“And how much of that do you believe?” the elf asked. Artemis lifted his gaze and noticed a smirk on Judicis’ face, but the old man quickly covered it up by sipping at his own cup of tea.

“I’m not sure I understand the question,” was all Artemis could reply.

Davian set his tea down and rose to his feet, taking a few steps to one of the many bookcases and running his hands along the rough leather bindings of the endless tomes. “Throughout the world and history itself there are countless stories. Many evolve over time, and the story of the Dragon Council is missing pieces the way fragments of a memory are lost over time – that is, unless Judicis has the memory.” Davian smiled as he turned his gaze back to the old man sitting among them quietly. “Judicis is one of the few who will know the true story, and now I am going to tell you who we are in good faith, and in the hope that I can garner your trust for the task at hand.” The elf sighed and turned to face Artemis once more.

“The Dragon Council are not elven; we are all dragons in the truest sense. I am an ancient golden dragon, and my brothers and sisters are all either gold or silver dragons themselves. We take on the form of elves as it is less conspicuous, but we hide in plain sight behind our name and our mark. We watch over the mortal races in the hope of protecting them from their own folly, but it is difficult. And often times, we find ourselves in disagreement regarding where to step in and where to stay out.”

Artemis looked over to Judicis, as though expecting the old man to be similarly shocked or confused by such an absurd story. Of course, it was clear this was not a joke and that Judicis, as Artemis should have known, knew the truth. “And when exactly was the last time you intervened?” Artemis asked. “I’m not sure if you’ve noticed, but there has been quite a lot of war going on of late. I’ve seen it with my own eyes and I’m not exactly a fan of the mass death.”

Artemis immediately felt guilty with the comment as he saw the pain on Davian’s face. “I admit, we have sat back and watched many lose their lives. The council, as a whole, leaves wars among mortals alone. The purpose of the council is instead to monitor for actions that may harm the balance of the planet as a whole, or the plane, or other planes; the damage must be of enormous scale for us to intervene.”

Artemis shifted uncomfortably in his seat, not letting his eyes leave Davian’s own. “And yet here you are asking for my help. With what, and why?”

Davian let out a heavy sigh and returned to his seat, taking a another sip of tea before speaking once more. “Truthfully, the answer has many layers. The why is easier to answer: because I trust you. The reason I trust you is because I trust Judicis, and Judicis trusts you. I am quite familiar with his magic and you would not be so closely tied to him and as powerful as you are without a strong moral guide. The what . . . Judicis, would you mind? I feel you know him better and may be more likely to convince him to help. You know all the details.” Davian lowered his cup as Judicis did the same, with the former placing his hands in his lap and the latter switching which leg he had crossed.

“I suppose I can do my part,” Judicis began, his rough accented voice a distinct shift from the deep and low voice of Davian. “In short, there is a man in northern Salvar by the name of Lord Krysteave. He has been seeking out a relic that is quite powerful. The Dragon Council don’t feel the threat to be worth pursuing, but Lord Davian knows the information to be accurate and is thus concerned.”

“It’s fine, Judicis, you can use my true name. No need to lie to the boy for my sake.” Davian smiled gently at Judicis.

“Thank you, Graxis.” Judicis returned the smile before bringing his attention back to Artemis. It was only then that Artemis realized that both figures across from him had white hair and silver eyes. “And to answer your question Artemis, yes, much of my appearance is closely linked with Graxis; he and I worked together for many years, though I was less weapon and more advisor to him.” He chuckled softly, as if reflecting on the memory. Artemis sometimes forgot that Judicis had complete access to all of his thoughts at all times. Judicis continued as Graxis stood once more and began browsing the shelves.

“The artifact Lord Krysteave seeks has the potential to mask very large areas and effectively make them impossible to notice, and though this could be used beneficially as a method of protection, it could also be used as a tool for sinister devices. Given the behavior of this lord and the actions he has taken against his own people and kingdom, it is quite easy to deduce the latter more likely than the former.”

“And my job is what, to stop this guy?” Artemis interjected.

“More or less,” Graxis said, taking a particular tome off a shelf. Artemis looked on curiously, taking advantage of his ocular ability to zoom in on the binding. Along the spine of the dark blue tome, golden letters inscribed the name Graxis deep into the leather. “You know Judicis, I wonder how much of my own life I’ve forgotten that you still have tucked away between these pages.”

“Given your age, Graxis, I’d wager quite a bit,” Judicis replied.

“Artemis, I may not know you as well as Judicis, but I’d like to think you’re a man who would like to prevent harm before it is committed. I don’t have a script for you to follow regarding this man. Whether you want to stop him gently, whether the cost is his life, or whether you simply seize the artifact before he does – the means matter less to me than the outcome. The world cannot afford to have this artifact fall into the hands of this man. The power of the lost civilization that he chases is beyond what much of the modern world is capable of; it is better that these artifacts remain lost. Either that, or in the hands of those whose hearts are guided by virtue, as yours is.”

“I’m just a blacksmith, Graxis. I’m no hero. I’m just a guy who works metal, spends time with his friends, family, and beloved. You’re throwing me into something that I’d rather not deal with if I’m honest.”

Graxis nodded slowly. “I can understand that, and I’m sorry for asking this of you. I have no other options. But I do think you underestimate what you’re capable of. You are only beginning to understand your potential.”

Artemis stood, walking over to where Graxis stood. “Even if that’s true, what exactly makes this man so bad? What makes him any worse than all the other selfish men of our world?”

Graxis returned the stern look with a sad smile. “I will let you answer that on your own. My magic can teleport you close enough to the kingdom that you can approach at your own pace. See for yourself what he has done to his people, and decide from there. If you don’t feel he is a risk, then you can go home and forget this meeting ever occurred. I can only hope you choose to aid me, as I have no other options.”

The offer seemed simple enough, so Artemis smiled cautiously. “Fine, I can agree to that. But one last question: why did you paralyze me before you approached me? If you trust me and you know me, why bother?”

“I didn’t want you to say my name, even quietly. I can’t have there be any evidence connecting us. This is not approved by the council; I am acting on my own behalf.”

Artemis hesitated, seconds passing between the two men as the young warrior reflected on all that transpired. “Fine, if I opt out I’ll leave, and if I decide to help you’ll hear from me again. Just tell me how to find you.” Artemis completed the statement and the world of Judicis faded away. The two men stood apart from one another as they were a moment before, though now back in the cavern. Graxis gestured with his hands quickly while his lips moved silently, gifting Artemis freedom of movement once more. The casting continued and the duo felt the familiar sensation of their essence tugged along as they traveled across the plane instantaneously.

In a brief moment, Artemis found himself standing beside the elven sorcerer far north of his home in Knife’s Edge, much closer to the border of Berevar than he’d ever been before. He turned to Graxis, the elf's white hair dancing on the wind as his silver eyes met Artemis’ once more. “Take this; when you have made your decision, hold this stone and speak my true name once. Soon after, I will use the stone as an anchor to teleport you to my home where we will be able to speak privately. I hope virtue guides your path, Artemis.”

With another brief gesture of his hands, the elf was gone, leaving Artemis alone and with a decision to make.

SirArtemis
05-28-16, 12:32 PM
A kilometer north stood what could only be described as a fortress. An unbelievably massive wall spanned the distance as far as the eye could see; it traced a line from the northwest where the mountain range erupted from the landscape and crawled along the border to a large lake to the east.

“I know where we are,” Artemis said softly. “This is the gate to the Kalev Highlands. This is the kingdom of Andvall.”

’It is,’ Judicis confirmed. ’This is the kingdom where our lord rules, and that keep is the place he calls home.’

Artemis turned his gaze beyond the wall to an even more impressive structure, using his enhanced hawk-eyed vision to examine the seven-story monstrosity. The architecture resembled an hourglass with an exceptionally wide center; a quartet of pillars acted as support for the elegant design. The limited access to the higher floors likely served as a defensive advantage to ensure that the leaders remained secure at the top. A trio of walls surrounded the keep adding layers of protection beyond the massive barrier splitting the region from the rest of Salvar.

“Quite the stronghold he’s built up. What exactly is he afraid will happen?” Artemis chuckled from atop the hillock and walked toward the gate that would grant access to the kingdom of Andvall. “Do you think they’ll just let me in?”

’Hard to say. My memories of this region date back quite some time. Perhaps Regis would know more, as he is quite in tune with the movement of information.’

“Not a bad idea,” Artemis agreed. His steps crunched softly on the fresh snow that blanketed the region, with naked trees and camouflaged stones littering the landscape. The warm season had peaked, but this far north even that meant a bit of snowfall here and there. Still, the breeze felt warm and tasted of flowers somewhere off in the distance. Not as lovely as the heat of the forge back home in Knife's Edge, but pleasant all the same.

As he casually made his way, he decided he’d reach out to his old friend of Underwood for a conversation. “Initus Regis,” he said aloud, activating the magic of his obsidian earring. Seconds passed as he ambled along before the familiar voice of the old librarian rang through his mind.

“Artemis, how are you lad? It’s been ages since we’ve spoken!” The man sounded lively for a man nearing sixties and full of energy. Being the middle of the day, that surprised Artemis little, as there was work to be done.

“Regis, it’s good to hear your voice! I have a few questions and was hoping you could help me out. I’m on a bit of a mission and I find myself quite a way north of you. Do you have a moment for visual conveyance?”

“Of course, just give me a moment so I can find a place to sit down. I was just putting some books away that had been returned recently.” Artemis smiled at the image, vividly remembering the majestic library where Regis served The Keeper. “There, now I’m ready for you. What have you got for me?”

Artemis turned on the visual aspect of his magic, allowing the librarian to see exactly what Artemis saw. “Look familiar?”

“My goodness, what would bring you to the Hold of Hamorearm?”

“So you know it?” Artemis asked. “I was wondering how up-to-date you are on the workings of the region. I need to get past that gate to do a bit of investigative work, but I worry I’ll stand out a bit. Any ideas?”

Artemis heard Regis chuckle on the other end. “Though you’re quite the sight my dear boy, you’re approaching a gate that sees more traffic than the Radasanth Market. This gateway serves as passage to the entire Andvall kingdom and all its small towns and tribes, orcs included. I expect they’ll ask your name and purpose as any other place would.”

“Anything I should know? I am in need of some information on the way the region has been operating and Lord . . . Krysteave was it?”

“Yes,” the librarian confirmed, “Lord Krysteave Hamorearm is the current lord of the keep. Though I have heard whispers he isn’t the nicest man, not to mention he seems almost . . . not fully present at times, so to speak.”

Artemis’ steps slowed, his interest piqued. “Tell me more.”

“Well, the man has supposedly turned his land into a militaristic domain. Granted, all I have heard are whispers and stories – being this far removed doesn’t provoke the utmost faith in what I hear and read. He’s been obsessed with chasing after some ancient artifact, even if it means taxing his people to the verge of death. Needless to say, you won’t be surrounded by a land of luxury when you pass through those gates.”

Artemis let the information swirl through his mind. Graxis had implied plenty without clarifying anything. “Funny you mention that; I’m under the impression that he’s found it.” Artemis broke the visual connection so that the two men could just speak, and as he did a moment of silence filled the empty space.

“Artemis, I’m not sure I understand.” Regis’ voice had turned quieter, as though a seriousness washed over him that had come uninvited.

“The artifact. I think he found it – or at least, found where it is and intends to go get it.”

“Well . . .” the librarian paused, “if that’s the case then I think I have someone who could help. There’s a woman by the name of Nevette Adylon.”

“Do you know this woman?” Artemis asked skeptically. “You aren’t exactly a world-traveler. What makes you think she’d be here?”

Regis’ voice regained some of its levity. “She’ll be there; she’s always there. In fact it’d likely be more accurate to say she’ll find you. Ah! Artemis, someone has just walked in. We'll have to part for now. Let me know if you need anything more, but I trust you’ll be ok!”

"Terminus," Artemis said, closing the connection with his friend just as he finally approached the gate. “Well, let’s go be found then, whatever that means.”

SirArtemis
05-28-16, 07:13 PM
The wall stood near four stories tall made of large blocks of stone melded together flawlessly by magic. A gate of dark and rich wood reinforced by bar after bar of dehlar had been raised just enough to allow carts to pass through.

“They certainly know how to send a message,” Artemis muttered softly.

Artemis approached the entrance. “Greetings,” a man clad in leather and chainmail shouted. His dark hair and beard complemented the white and gray tabard he man wore over his armor. A crest in the shape of a hammer over five interlocking stars centered on the garment. “Welcome to the Gate of Bordayllum, entrance to Southwatch and the Kingdom of Andvall. State your name and business.”

“Artemis Eburi, and I'm justpassing through. Hoping to resupply before heading north.” Artemis hoped the generic message was common enough given the traffic.

“Head on through. If you’re hungry, thirsty, tired, or looking to buy, pass through the outer gate of the hold.” He spoke with as little emotion as any man could, clearly scripted and repeating the same line nearly every hour of every day. He jotted down Artemis’ information in a small notebook and waved the man through. As Artemis passed, he noticed a dozen guardsmen working along the gate; one in particular stood with a scarlet tassel hanging from a shoulder and held a banner depicting the colors of white and black.

Once through the gate Artemis continued on toward the hold as instructed, thinking anything else would be suspicious. ‘That was easier than I expected,’ he thought. Given the proximity to others, the young warrior decided it was time to switch to communicating with Judicis via thought rather than speech; generally he preferred to talk simply because it felt more natural. ’So what do you know of the region? Anything I may find of value?’

’I would imagine not. I have no recent knowledge, but I can shed some light on the history of the region if you’d find it helpful,’ Judicis offered.

’Can’t hurt,’ Artemis replied. ’After all, it seems like we have some time while we walk the road to the hold anyway; may as well make use of it.’ Artemis guessed the stone pathway to the outer gate would take roughly twenty minutes.

’Very well. One thing to note that may still be applicable is that those local to the region were once referred to as highlanders and may still be so. Culturally speaking, a lowlander is the term for others of Salvar. It may get you in trouble if you misuse the terms, so be wary.’

’I take it that is in reference to the Kalev Highlands. Makes sense. But why exactly lowlanders for the rest? It can’t be an issue of altitude.’ Artemis grinned, not caring that he may very well look sociopathic if any stranger were to see his expressions shift while having an internal dialogue with another sentient entity.

’Hard for me to say, as none who I’ve crossed paths with have known the answer. Perhaps it is as simple as they think low of all the other lands.’ Judicis paused for a few moments and left Artemis to his thoughts.

The climate had almost immediately changed to comfortable, though truthfully all but his hands and head were exposed. Still he took a moment to appreciate the gentle caress of the warm wind against his face, like a mother consoling an anxious child.

Off in the distance, behind the protection of the keep, crops grew in nicely throughout the fields. He recognized some of the more familiar ones, including potatoes, cabbages, lettuce, spinach, as well as other greens; the fact that these crops were surviving this far north was nothing short of a miracle and not lost on the warrior. Artemis even noticed a particularly beautiful field of sunflowers growing a few kilometers away. The snow too seemed to remain on the other side of the wall, lending credence to his initial reaction.

Closer to the keep Artemis saw squads of troops wearing white and gray tabards like the men at the gate. They all looked to be training, reminding Artemis of what Regis had mentioned of the military state of affairs. On either side of the road that Artemis walked grew tall grass, as well as a series of strange ditches with thick muddy water connected throughout the landscape. Cattle and sheep grazed through the tall grass in both directions, painting a strange contrast with what one might expect so close to Berevar.

“I didn’t expect the climate shift to be so abrupt,” Artemis said quietly, comfortable speaking now that he traveled alone again. “I’ve heard of the effect these mountains have on the region, but this is beyond what I’d have imagined. Do you really think this is a purely natural effect?”

’From what I understand, it is. I’ve not heard of any magic influencing the region. Though a former Lord by the name of Arch Magus Erlingur Seolfor, also known as the Stormlord, could call terrible snow storms upon his enemies without warning. Aside from that, nothing sounds familiar.’

Artemis let his gaze drift further into the distance. Despite the expanse he could see the crescent of mountain ranges that hugged the perimeter of this exceptional region. There were clouds far to the north as well but he could not tell if they stopped before the mountains or not.

Artemis reflected as he walked, wondering what Judicis made of the situation. He knew the whole story had been deposited by Graxis into those endless archives. He realized then that he could probably intuit that Judicis was in favor the journey, given that he would have likely voiced his opposition otherwise. As he had the thought, he felt Judicis’ gratitude slip through, as though relieved he wouldn’t have to explicitly say anything on the matter. Still, Artemis hadn’t seen enough to feel concerned. On the contrary, everything seemed quite normal – for now.

SirArtemis
05-30-16, 06:56 PM
The rest of the walk passed quickly, as well as the entry to the outermost gate of the keep. Much like before, guards stood watch while they noted Artemis’ information and ushered him along. This gate was less imposing though still formidable with about a story and a half of equally fine black stone construction.

Once through the area opened up into an actual town proper, though the notion that there were few luxuries seemed an understatement. As Artemis explored the market district – if it could really be called that – he noticed that most everyone wore very simple garb of wool, usually dull in color and worn to the point of being threadbare at times. The shops sold only practical goods and if there were any passing merchants, they didn’t bother set up shop unless knew their wares were of pragmatic need for the citizens.

The strange scents of farmland mingling with sewage and topped with flowers, as tangy and abrasive an odor as Artemis had ever smelled, made itself known whether one wanted it or not. The roads were stone, muddy and worn, creating a simple grid-like web that allowed the citizens of this kingdom to move around efficiently.

It had started to seem that efficiency was the central pillar upon which this had all been constructed. Artemis started to notice the somber mood of the people. Smiles were exceptionally rare among the folk here. There looked to be a few thousand that called the area home, but barely any seemed to feel at home. As he walked, he decided to take a long and lazy lap around the town using the walls that encased him as guides. He hoped that his observations may help in his decision, and truth be told it would have been difficult to ignore the state of affairs. Had the climate not been so kind the people would have surely frozen to death.

Artemis’ heart started to well with compassion, and though he had not yet seen anything that could be deemed blatantly wrong or sinister, he could sense the mood of the population as though he were swimming in their gloom. This was not a life worth living – these people just happened to be alive.

He was pulled from his thoughts when he spotted a man leaning up against a building, one hand on his belly and one propped up against the wall as he heaved up whatever his stomach desperately rejected. People seemed not to notice as the man wiped stray bits from his dark brown beard, but Artemis decided to walk over. "Are you okay?" he asked the man, gently placing a hand on his back. The man looked up confused, as though suffering from deliria. His face looked pale and his eyes almost glossed over and lifeless. Clearly the man suffered from an illness of some kind. Artemis pulled a dozen gold pieces from a pouch he carried with him, offering them to the man. "Here, see an apothecary, get yourself some medicine. You look dreadful." The man looked down at the coin and then back at Artemis with wild eyes, pushing off the building and moving away from Artemis with a surprising urgency. He never even gestured toward the coin and only chanced an anxious glance back at the young man once he had moved at least a dozen yards out. Artemis stood confused, brushing off the reaction as a result of his illness.

Not long after while Artemis continued his roaming he noted a building that contrasted the wooden construction that had peppered the area. Tucked against the outer wall stood a structure made of the same black stone as the fortifications, and unlike everything else that the man had seen, the signs of elegant design finally showed themselves. Standing barely lower than the height of the wall, its peaks descended into long and fine eaves to allow the snow to slide off easily. Beneath the eaves stood six beautifully carved pillars acting as supports, each in the likeness of a Thayne of the pantheon – including the often avoided N’jal, the Thayne that had fallen to dark forces and corruption.

Living in Knife’s Edge had meant constantly being surrounded by the preaching of the Church of Ethereal Sway. And though Artemis was a world-traveler, even the churches dedicated to the Thayne were not often as openly expressive. Clearly this kingdom did have some advantages, or at least that’s how Artemis interpreted the church's architecture. Curiosity took hold of the young man and led him toward the entryway. Gardens flanked the church and explained the floral scent that lingered in the air. Artemis paused for a moment and caressed the petals of a purple daisy; its color reminded him of his beloved, a dark elf by the name of Jay.

He stood and walked up the steps and into the church where he was greeted by a large open area of worship. Any craftsman would easily see that this sanctuary was established with the utmost skill and attention. Every piece of furniture, every wall, every stone beneath his feet showed care the likes of which Artemis knew and could very much appreciate. The benches that covered much of the central area were not of a particularly luxurious wood, but their construction would last decades without question. Beams of light poured through windows and slits in the stone wall, drawing crisp shapes across the floors and walls. Artemis took a seat close to a statue of Khal’Jaren and turned his attention inward.

’I’m not sure how I feel about all of this, Judicis,’ Artemis thought to his sentient friend. ’I can’t decide whether this is just their way of life or if there is misery in the air. My intuition tells me it’s the latter and you know how I feel about my intuition.’

’You know where I stand on the matter, Artemis. And I expect the longer you find yourself within these walls, the more certain you will be of your position. You still have time. Maybe we should seek out the ally Regis suggested; the woman named Nevette.’

’Perhaps you are right. Maybe someone nearby knows of her. I imagine people are familiar with one another in this kingdom; though I must admit they don’t seem to be that sociable around here.’ Artemis paused, lowering his gaze and feeling a swell of emotion wash over him. His chest began to feel like a swarm of insects buzzed in the hope of escape. ’Judicis . . . these people . . . it’s like they all look like me from a few years ago.’

Artemis could feel the consolatory energy of Judicis. The memory had come at him so abruptly. Flashes of the conflict that had erupted with his father, followed by the cliché of the child running away from home. It was one of the best choices he could have made, but the emotional scars he’d suffered since seemed to linger despite how much healing he’d experienced. After all, fleeing his home in Corone is what brought him to Salvar – to Knife’s Edge – and to meeting so many of his dearest friends. Judicis too was a consequence of his first adventure in the north.

The pain, betrayal, and isolation he had felt could still sting as strongly as if it were still fresh. These people reflected his past in a way that became harder and harder to swallow with every vacant expression and betrayed gaze.

Artemis suddenly felt a hand upon his shoulder, pulling him out of his reverie. He turned and looked upon a face of elegant splendor. Her dark chestnut hair framed her face as though she were a Thayne herself. With simple dark brown garb, she could have been just another citizen of the kingdom; but her eyes seemed almost prismatic, shifting with power and knowledge. They looked as dark as the night sky, littered with the smallest flakes of starlight.

“You must be Artemis,” her voice said sweetly. “My name is Nevette.”

SirArtemis
06-02-16, 04:28 PM
Artemis sat frozen for a moment, unsure how to react. It had been quite some time since he had felt truly speechless, and the reaction was due to more than just her beauty. This woman exuded power that seemed hard to explain. She smiled gently, as though understanding his hesitation. “I know you were expecting me to find you. Please, let’s find a place to talk in private; I think I may be of help to your endeavor.”

Still confused, Artemis rose from his seat preparing to follow the woman. As she began to walk away, he looked over at the statue of Khal’Jaren that he had sat beside, feeling a strange comfort in its presence. He shook off the sensation, feeling more and more unlike himself with each passing moment, and caught up with the woman.

“So how did you find me so quickly?” Artemis asked, trailing the woman just barely.

“I’ll answer all of your questions soon. For now, let’s find a place far from the little birds of the land.” She turned and gave him another smile before continuing on. Artemis didn’t know what birds had to do with anything but simply let it go, following the woman. He also couldn’t understand what more privacy she could want, as they were the only two in the church.

’Something feels . . . different about this woman.’ Artemis shared his concern with Judicis.

’I sense quite a bit of magical potential with her. It is likely she is far more powerful than she seems.’

’That much seems clear,’ Artemis thought to himself, though he knew Judicis would hear.

The pair continued out the church and on toward the gate to the second wall, which they passed through without any questioning. The guards simply nodded in acknowledgement of Nevette and her guest and let her be. Once through they continued on in silence at an incline while Artemis took in what details he could during the quick journey.

The area between the second and inner wall vastly differed from the outer region. Here barracks and storage buildings formed into massive long houses, their dull brown brick and gray slate stone dotting the muddy turf. There were no amenities in sight beyond the absolutely necessary, and where smiles were few and far between in the township, here they were absent entirely. The gate to the inner wall again proved no issue for Nevette as they passed along. Once within the final line of defense, all that remained on these grounds were the servants’ quarters and the keep itself.

Artemis tried to mentally prepare, realizing that he had trusted a stranger. He followed this woman blindly, walking into the most well defended area for many miles, which truthfully could be a trap that would get him killed. Worse still, as they walked in, Artemis struggled to trace the route the pair took. Each door seemed to be equipped with bolts and bars, showing every passage could be thoroughly secured in a moment’s notice. They also passed a handful of times through what must have been teleportation portals of some kind; a prismatic membrane would appear within a doorway and the two would find themselves in another hallway. The process made it impossible for Artemis to know the way, especially if he ever wanted to find his way out.

After what truly felt like a lifetime of walking in silence since leaving the church, they finally arrived in a beautifully decorated bedchamber. Elegant and luxurious tapestries hung against large stone walls, adding vibrancy within a kingdom that exuded anything but. Rich velvet curtains of burgundy tied with golden ropes hugged the large windows, from which one could see the marvelous structure of the wall that split the Kalev Highlands from the rest of Salvar. A remarkably hand-crafted liviol desk of a similar color stood in the center of the room, a few meters from a four-post bed clearly made by the same craftsman with a collection of plush pillows and sheets.

“There, now we can speak. Jacob?” Nevette called. As she did a man standing by the window turned to face the pair. He stood nearly six feet tall and wore military regalia of the highest quality with two silver tassels hanging from a shoulder. He stood with dignity, hands behind his back and posture the likes of which every mother wishes for her child. His head had been cleanly shaven, though he sported a goatee of rich brown littered with grays.

“So is this the one you told me of, Nevette?” the man asked. She replied with a smile and a nod. “It is truly a pleasure to meet you, Artemis Eburi. My name is Sir Jacob Hamorearm, acting lord of the keep in my brother’s absence, Lord Krysteave Hamorearm.” He extended a hand to introduce himself which Artemis met with the slightest hesitation. “Ah, yes. You wouldn’t know my relationship with him. And given your mission, you might think me an enemy. I suppose that means we should enlighten you. The most important thing, and what we should begin with, is that we are here to help. We must stop my brother at all costs.”

SirArtemis
06-03-16, 08:32 PM
Artemis’ eyes narrowed in suspicion. The woman he trusted at least somewhat, though for reasons he struggled to articulate; the brother however seemed difficult to sort out. “Is this one of those ‘the enemy of my enemy is my friend’ sort of things here? And why exactly would you want to stop your brother?”

The soldier looked away for a moment, his face shifting from a half forced smile to a look of reflection. “What do you do when faced with a choice between the fate of your family and the fate of a kingdom?” As he asked he looked up at Artemis, as though he honestly meant the question to be answered.

Artemis matched his sad expression, sensing the pain in his eyes. “I don’t know,” he admitted. “I suppose I’ve never been in such a position.”

The man nodded slowly, his brow furrowed as though in the slightest envy. “I had hoped to never be as well, yet here I am. When father died, Krysteave took the Lordship. It was a sad time, but also a proud time, as we continued to rule our kingdom. However, soon after father’s passing, mother became ill. Her mind began to deteriorate, forcing us to slowly watch as she vanished from us while her body remained. As the process unfolded, she began to ramble on about this artifact – a bedtime tale our family has passed down through generations. Krysteave could not take her loss, and his sanity began to flee as hers had. Yet his was not an illness of the body as much an illness of the heart. Unfortunately, no matter our efforts, we lost him to the darkness of madness.”

A moment of silence passed before Nevette interjected. “The short answer here is that we believe that Krysteave is a danger to himself and many others, and it seems our efforts to stop him with reason have long gone unheard.” She walked over to the elegant desk and sat upon it with a light hop.

“Even if that’s true, why involve me?” Artemis asked. “How did you know I was coming, or who I was? How can you trust me, or I trust you? And even if we put all that aside, how do we even help each other exactly?”

“One at a time,” Nevette smiled, gently patting the air as though to settle the young man. “I’m the one who foresaw your coming; I have what some call prescient vision, or perhaps divination. I won’t get into the details, but it allows me to see into the future – or rather, possible futures. It told me you were coming and some other . . . basic details.”

“Regardless,” the soldier interrupted, taking a deep breath before continuing. “We need to stop my brother from finding this artifact.” Artemis looked at the man with confusion and suspicion. “Oh enough!” he said with agitation. “She just told you she can see the future and we’ve already discussed plenty of details before your arrival. You’ll have to trust us!”

Artemis shook his head. “It’s difficult to trust strangers you’ve known for minutes. And if the only reason you trust me is because you know things about me that I haven’t told you, then it’s only fair we trade.” He lifted his left arm out, looking the man in the eye. “Shake hands and assure your sincerity, then I’ll know whether or not I can trust you.”

The man stepped forward with pursed lips and placed his hand on Artemis’ forearm. “Now what?” he asked, his gray eyes looking into Artemis’ piercing blue. Artemis smiled, placing his right hand against the man’s forearm and positioning Judicis so that he could graze the man’s skin.

“Now her,” Artemis replied as he released his grip, turning his attention to the woman sitting on the desk. The soldier turned to face her. Seconds passed, seeming like a lifetime for the trio in the room, but she finally stood with a shrug and glided over elegantly to the pair of men. The soldier stepped aside and allowed the woman to move in front of Artemis. She gave him a sly smile and then paused for a moment before letting her hand gently fall upon his forearm, almost caressing Artemis’ wrist.

“Now, can we focus on the task at hand?” she asked sweetly. She let go and returned to her seat on the desk, crossing her legs and fixing the brown dress she wore. Thankfully, she had grazed Judicis of her own volition. She pulled a sprig of lavender out of a small bouquet that sat in the center of the desk, fiddling with it in her hands. Artemis hadn't noticed before but now the sweet scent of the flower distracted him. His mind wandered to the thought of Jay once again, the smell reminiscient of her silver hair.

Seconds passed before his attention snapped back to the moment as he heard the acknowledgment he’d been waiting for. ’You may trust them,’ the sentient voice whispered. With the bizarre introductions out of the way, Artemis smiled warmly. “So what’s the plan?”

“First let’s start with what we know,” Nevette began. “Many artifacts remain scattered across Salvar and Berevar that once belonged to a now lost civilization. Their magical and technological creations continue to outlast them. The one we’re interested in is located not too far from where we are.” She walked over to a large window, enticing Artemis to join by pointing toward the north. “If you look there, off in the distance beneath the stormy clouds, you will find the tallest mountain among the crescent ridge that encompasses our region. That mountain, known as Mount Rutherglen, is a former home of these lost folk and the current location of the item Krysteave seeks.”

“That seems rather straightforward. Why is this only becoming an issue now?” Artemis asked.

“Because he has finally found the way in,” Jacob replied. He had joined the pair at the window, looking over their shoulders at the mountain. Artemis turned, expecting an explanation. “These lost people did not want to be found. As you may know, the power of this artifact lies with its ability to conceal. And so it has remained concealed - until now.”

“That’s certainly the simplified version,” Nevette added with a sigh. “What I find strange is that I don’t think his idea will work, but we can’t risk the possibility. Even still, his attempt to broach the field could cause a reaction that leads to quite a bit of destruction.”

“You’ll need to enlighten me here,” Artemis said, walking back to the desk. His gaze traced the elegant pattern upon the rug, just then noticing the massive sigil beneath them that resembled the one the soldiers wore.

“The reason it has remained hidden so long is because the city . . . hmm I'm not quite sure how to say this without sounding absurd but . . . is both there and not there simultaneously. It exists almost in a limbo between planes – though that’s not entirely accurate either, I’m not sure how else to put it. Imagine being able to walk through a cavern, fully believing you are in the cavern, but you’re actually simultaneously in the heart of a bustling city. You could very well be occupying the same space as another living being within that city, and yet neither of you would know. You are both in the cave, you are both in the city, yet neither of you are in either location.” Nevette turned from the window to look back at Artemis once more and saw both men staring at her in utter confusion.

“I told you they were well ahead of their time,” she added, almost flustered. “If Krysteave meddles with that delicate balance, there’s no telling what it will do to Althanas. Would it create a tear in The Tap? Would it shred the plane into pieces? Would it explode and wipe out our kingdom, or more? I don’t know the answer to any of these questions, but neither do I want to. And we need you to stop this from happening.”

The soldier walked over to Artemis, his boots silent upon the rug, and placed a hand on the man’s shoulder. “I don’t hate my brother, but in a way, he is not the brother I once knew and loved. I don’t wish him ill, but he must be stopped. From what Nevette tells me, you’re a man who I can trust with this mission and with making a choice regarding Krysteave’s fate. All I ask is that if you must end his life, be merciful.”

Artemis returned the gesture, placing his opposite hand upon the soldier’s shoulder as well. “I’m sorry for what you’re going through, truly. But I still don’t know how I am to stop this.”

“I think the best place to start is the mountain,” Nevette added as the men released one another. “I can teleport you to the northern side of Mount Rutherglen. From there you’ll have to find your way.”

“Where do I even begin?” Artemis asked, turning his gaze to the woman once more.

“Look for signs that hint to the civilization – clues that you are close to something made by sentient life. Trust your instinct, and see if you can track Krysteave.” He stared at her as though her starry black eyes held the answer to all the secrets to the universe. Then, after a few deep breaths, he gave her a nod. He was ready.

SirArtemis
06-04-16, 02:59 PM
Not long after, Artemis stood on a peninsula of land on the northern side of Mount Rutherglen. The open terrain lay covered in a thick layer of snow and the bite of frosty wind assaulted Artemis’ exposed face and hands. This far north nothing stood between the man and the chill that rolled in along the landscape. It was like the world itself wanted nothing more than to buffet him with its merciless gales. Off in the distance he saw an endless line of white rolling hills – or at least they looked like hills this far off. He knew it to be the frozen wastes of Berevar off in the distance, watching him like vultures that wait for fools to die. He knew those mountains held more secrets than likely all the rest of Althanas combined, as so few ever dared venture there to find out; fewer still would survive that choice.

Artemis removed a mask and gloves from a pocket of his armor, the detachable pieces of his full-body suit. Covered head to toe in this marvelous gade cloth, a material his wizardly friend Daros had designed, prevented him from feeling the effects of the natural elements. Even Berevar's cold wouldn’t reach the young man’s skin. He knew he looked silly when he wore the full set, the silky yet stretchy material hugging every inch of his body, but sometimes pragmatism overrode vanity.

“So where do we start, Judicis?” Artemis said through his mask. “Nevette seemed to think that I’d find something here that hints at the lost civilization; a way in of some kind.”

’Perhaps start with high ground as we normally do. You may see something from up high, or even on your way up. We may even spot Lord Krysteave if we’re lucky. After all, this doesn’t seem like a well traveled area.’

“As good a plan as any,” Artemis agreed. He willed the magic of his boots to create a thin mesh on the sole to help his movement along the snow and then began a light jog toward the cliff side. Once there, he shifted the boots once more to a spiky and sticky surface as he prepared to scale the rock face.

Watching him climb would have been a strange sight for many, as Artemis was far from your average human. His magical birth by dovicarus magic left him with a remarkable set of attributes. He climbed quickly as he would kick off with his boots and send his body upward, then clasping the jagged edges and pulling himself up easily. It all seemed so simple, and all the while his breathing reflected that of someone casually reclining at home. Snow and ice covered many surfaces causing Artemis to slip on many occasions, but his reactions and recovery made them seem like nothing more than a minor inconvenience or annoyance. Where an average person might take hours Artemis reached the height of roughly five hundred meters in less than thirty minutes.

Once he found a stable ridge to stand upon he turned his gaze out to the vast landscape, overwhelmed by the frigid beauty he saw. Up above the dark clouds he’d seen earlier that day still loomed, threatening the landscape with a flogging of heavy snow. But below, as far as he could see, a blanket of white kept everything a secret from the world above. Off in the distance he could see the icy blue river that parted the continents of Berevar from Salvar, with countless floats of ice decorating its surface as though they were the flowers of a frozen garden. Looking out, he realized how impossible it would be to know how deep the snow had been beneath his feet when he’d arrived.

He looked around, his vision magnifying the landscape up to hundreds of times. He’d see a mouse scurry across the surface a mile out from this height. Thankfully, he didn’t need that level of detail. From the east he saw a trail of footprints of roughly four travelers that turned toward the mountain and vanished. “That seems almost too easy,” he said to no one in particular.

He began to scale the mountain sidelong, hopping from crag to cranny to crevice as he moved toward the footprints he’d seen.

’Artemis, I feel compelled to warn you,’ Judicis began. ’I feel something very strange as we move closer to those footprints you saw. As though an imbalance in magic or energy or something of the sort. I can’t quite place it, but it is unnerving.’ Given a moment to reflect, Artemis had to admit he felt something vaguely similar, though likely different from Judicis’ experience.

“Maybe it has to do with what Nevette mentioned,” Artemis replied, taking a moment to hop to another outcrop before continuing. “You know, the thing about broaching the field, maybe causing a rupture in the artifact’s magic.” Again he paused, sending his body eastward.

’Perhaps,’ Judicis confessed, ’though this feels like something else.’

“Well,” Artemis said, dropping down onto a flat piece of large granite, “we won’t have to wait long to find out, will we? Besides, things seemed to have been going our way so far. Hopefully our luck lasts.” He leaned out and looked below, trying to find the path that the small expedition had taken. He noticed their beaten steps winding up the mountainside and leading into a cavern. “Now let’s go see if they’ve found anything yet.”

SirArtemis
06-04-16, 06:35 PM
Not far from Artemis . . .

“This better work,” a man with an anxious voice said softly, wrapping himself tighter in the thick furs he wore.

“I’ve told you before to shut your damn mouth,” a harsh voice replied. “I don’t need that kind of negativity right now. We’ve made it this far and if this shit goes wrong, we’re likely all dead.”

A soothing voice joined the mix. “Now now, don’t you fret. I assure you this will work. My research, thanks to our marvelous benefactor, will finally come to fruition.” He straightened his robes, their dark black fabric rippling with grays of magical energy. He carried a wand, its tip lit to guide the way and illuminating his silky long brown hair.

“You say that all you want, Vulmon, but that doesn’t mean I believe you. This is too dangerous,” the anxious voice replied.

“I said shut up, Rutley! I’m sick of your shit. If you don’t want to stay then fucking turn back now and get out of our way. Just know that if you do, you aren’t getting a dime of the reward.” The man looked just as anxious, pulling a flask out of his heavy hide jacket and taking a swig before tucking it away. His black hair and beard were filthy and oily, like a man who hadn’t ever wanted to bathe.

The anxious man, Rutley, was the coward of the group no doubt, but his instinct to slip in and out of places made him a key asset for this trio of mercenaries. Vulmon, the wise elven wizard, led the crew, and left the muscle and dirty work to Derlas, a former pirate who learned to hate the sea.

Behind them all stood a man with a stern expression on his face. He wore fine furs and armor with a sigil of a hammer over five interlocking stars upon his chest, and his dark eyes showed an impatience that seemed to span generations. “No more words,” he said softly, though clearly with a hint of threat. “Let's get on with it. I’ve waited too long for this. The map points us just ahead.”

Artemis landed at the entry to the small cavern and realized that if he hadn’t followed the steps he’d have been hard pressed to notice this place. Given the massive size of such a mountain, looking for this entryway must have been like looking for a virgin in a brothel. As he walked in the light of the natural world dimmed, leaving Artemis blind. However, about fifteen meters in he started to notice what looked like light in the form of a soft white glow. Script etched into the finely carved walls seemed to be guiding the path. As Artemis looked closer, inspecting the fine lettering, his jaw dropped.

’This is mithril, he thought. ’They managed to write upon the walls in mithril. How could they do this? How could they keep mithril a liquid and then work with such fine detail?’

’As Nevette mentioned, Artemis, these folk were well ahead of their time. There’s no telling what secrets remain buried and hidden from the modern world, waiting to be rediscovered.’

Artemis shook his head in awe, touching the substance and feeling its gentle coolness. It was one of the most elegant and beautiful uses of metal he had ever witnessed. He traced his hand along the wall, using the script as a guide, and traveled deeper into the narrow cavern. With each step unease crept into his bones, his intuition warning him that something sinister was afoot. He moved silently, like a ghost among the shadows, as invisible as one could be given the circumstances.

He trod carefully upon the path, following the wet boot prints that lay ahead. He was close.

A voice traveled along toward Artemis’ ears, the sounds softly echoing against the elegant hallway. He moved carefully with his back against the wall following the gentle curve of the path, hoping to see more of the events unfold. When he finally got close, he saw four men standing together. An armored man mumbled under his breath, his hands weaving a spell as his eyes began to glow. His voice grew louder and Artemis began to realize he might be too late. Just as he stood straight, the man shouted the final incantation. The three beside him erupted in agony, their shrieks horrifying and brief, like men whose very souls were being torn away from them by force. A red mist formed at the hands of the caster which he threw further into the hall, striking something that wasn’t fully there and causing a rippling wave of force to rush outward.

Artemis was thrown back, landing prone. The scripture on the wall began to change in hue to an ominous red, transitioning quickly as though in abrupt warning. The cavern rumbled and growled angrily, and down the hall Artemis saw the man stand alone with three bodies at his feet.

“Oh no,” Artemis said softly under his breath.

SirArtemis
06-04-16, 07:25 PM
Artemis hopped to his feet quickly, unsure which direction seemed the safest to go, but before he had time to make a choice he noticed the world around him start to shimmer and flicker. The cavern’s walls started to ripple as though melting away. Artemis looked at his own body and noticed the same effect upon his being.

“This can’t be good,” he said in a whisper. As he looked up, he watched the man laughing darkly. For whatever reason, the figure did not look bothered.

Seconds later the ripples and transitions seemed to end and Artemis stood in a rather large cavern complex. The ceiling reached nearly two stories above and had been cut smoothly into a series of domes. Small buildings had been carved out of the stone as well, though still part of the mountain. They were not made as an afterthought it seemed, but rather were created at the same time as the complex itself. As Artemis took a breath in he could feel lost millennia fill his lungs. The taste of forgotten names and memories lingered on his palette like a strongly brewed tea. Wherever he had landed, no whispers had been spoken for countless generations. The silence almost felt like a parasite had sucked every drop of life from the cracks and crevices of time itself.

More of the white mithril could be found all over, lining what looked like small roads and paths as well as wrapping around each building, though now they appeared as though vines spreading and growing to swallow the entire complex. Even the ceiling seemed overgrown with their invasive glow. They all seemed to extend from a central point – an elevated platform leading to a strange open structure. Upon the dais, a dozen pillars stood, connecting the roof to the cavern floor, and within that chamber a white light brighter than all the rest seemed to flicker.

Three bodies still lay upon the ground at the feet of the laughing figure, as far away as they had been before the world began to shimmer. The figure seemed particularly interested in the source of light, turning to the dais and moving onward; perhaps he didn’t even realize the young warrior had followed and been so close. Hesitating, Artemis watched, unsure what to do but let the man walk away. When it felt safe, Artemis crouched and hurried over to the three bodies. The first he examined looked dirty, like the man hadn’t showered, carrying a simple steel cutlass on his hips. The second and smaller one seemed a ragged little man wrapped in fur, not even armed. When he came to the third, he rolled the robed figure over and saw the dead eyes of an elf.

The bodies seemed almost drained, like they’d been rotting for days already. ’Be wary of that man. It seems he uses blood magic. I’ve not seen much of this dark art, but it can be exceptionally powerful and dangerous.’ Artemis looked up, hoping to catch sight of the blood mage once more and follow his trail, feeling wary of Judicis’ warning. He thought he could discern shadows coming from the dais so he walked on. Doing his best to remain hidden while moving fast, he traversed the large open stone surface without a sound, only to discover that the man had already entered the structure. Upon a small podium, a strange orb appeared to be the source of the light.

“Now, let’s see,” the man said, reaching into his thick coat and pulling out what looked like a scroll of some kind. Strangely, the scroll seemed to be made of an extremely thin form of mithril, and instead of ink the lines were etched into the surface itself. Yet all the same, it seemed to serve the same purpose. The man lifted it before him, unrolling the document, and as he did Artemis shifted quickly off to the side to get a better vantage point at what the man was about to see.

As the man lifted the scroll, Artemis focused his enhanced vision and saw what looked to be blueprints of some kind. ’That vaguely looks like where we are now . . .’ Artemis thought, recognizing some of the structures he’d noticed as well as the podium where they now stood. What really intrigued Artemis and the man equally was that a small silver-white dot glowed on the map now.

The man started to laugh, as though overwhelmed with the joy of victory. “Finally!”

Artemis knew this was it – that spot on the map marked the location. And time was against him. He had to make sure that he got there first. ’Judicis, I’m counting on you to guide me.’ Artemis activated the magic of his ghostly movement, creating a sphere of silence around himself where no sound would enter and no sound would leave. With that in place, he went into a full on sprint across the stone floor toward the spot marked on his map.

’There are two floors to the facility, Artemis. It looks like the stairs are on the opposite side of the cavern complex from where the light sphere sits. Head there first. Keep looking around when you have a moment – the more data you give me the more thoroughly I can map everything.’ And Artemis did just that, rushing past buildings that spanned the distance from ground to ceiling. Some even had staircases that climbed the sides of the building to grant access to the second floor, as if these were small residencies. Few structures along the way seemed larger in size and scope and often lacked the staircase – likely simply bigger on the inside. Artemis didn’t have time to look after all.

His steps took him over various vines of mithril that made it seem like he was traveling through a glowing white metal jungle. When his sprint reached the opposite side of the cavern, which surprisingly spanned hundreds of yards, he rushed down the stairs as they spiraled down along the cavern wall, curling back eventually to a massive space of equal scope and build to the flight above – though here there was significantly more open space and less cover. Artemis had to hurry – if the man reached this point, he’d see Artemis and realize that this expedition had competition.

Near the center of the complex hung a semi-circular structure with a low ramp up to its center. ’That’s the building.’ Artemis rushed up the ramp, urging himself onward toward the entrance. Once there, he deactivated his sphere of silence and stood looking upon an intricate door with a handle that glowed with the same mithril light that spread through the complex like veins through a body, giving it life and energy. Artemis removed his mask and gloves, reached for the door, and opened it.

SirArtemis
06-11-16, 01:43 PM
As Artemis stepped into the small spherical chamber, the overwhelming elegance of the space assaulted him. The curved walls shimmered in vibrant colorful arrays, with thousands of opals of varying size and cut creating an unbelievable mosaic. The darkness of the dark stone landscape, even with its shimmering mithril vines, seemed void of light when contrasted with this remarkable room.

In the center a mithril chain hung from the ceiling upon which a tray had been attached, and on said tray stood a figurine roughly the size of an infant’s head in the shape of a white snow leopard with emerald eyes. Beside the figurine, most out of place of all stood a man in beige robes. His leather sandals matched his mane of brown and gray and contrasted the brightness of the room drastically.

The two men’s eyes met in silence and awe, like two spooked animals that were equally terrified of one another but didn’t know it. Words collided in Artemis’ mouth, contemplating what to say or ask, and the attempt left his mouth stuffed with unspoken thoughts that refused to come out. An overwhelmingly awkward few seconds passed before the man shifted his gaze to Artemis’ bracer, and as he noticed he immediately softened and relaxed, allowing Artemis to do the same. “Oh, thank goodness,” he began. “For a moment I thought things were about to get violent.”

Artemis did not know what had changed the man’s demeanor but felt relief that the he didn’t appear an enemy. “I don’t know who you are, but if that’s the artifact, we have to take it and get out of here. We don’t have much time.”

“What do you mean?” the man asked, sincerely confused. For a moment he seemed almost naïve despite his clear age.

“There’s a man here who is very dangerous and he’s not far behind. I’m here to make sure he doesn’t get the artifact. We have to take it and leave. Now.”

The man looked at Artemis quizzically. The idea of imminent danger seemed unfamiliar, but the fact that he was no longer alone in this lost city meant there may be truth to it. Another few moments of silence passed as he reflected on the circumstances, ending with a heavy sigh and closing his eyes. “Fine, give me a moment to deactivate the artifact and then we can go.”

“How long?”

“A couple of minutes at least, as this wasn’t exactly meant to be turned on and off regularly.” He gave a look of annoyance, as though this should have been quite clear. He saw Artemis’ concern and dropped the annoyance almost instantly. “Is that a problem?”

“I don’t know if we have that much time, but I suppose we have no choice.”

“I will work as quickly as I can, within reason. I would prefer not to harm the artifact or cause an accident of some kind.”

Artemis gave a quick nod, donning his mask once more. “Meet me outside of the room as quickly as you can. Hopefully we will have the time we need, but if not, I’ll do what I can to distract him long enough for you to finish.” He turned and walked back out, closing the door as he walked down the ramp. He looked around for a ledge or vantage point but could find none. The buildings didn’t have windows and their ceilings were melded into the roof of the entire chamber, offering no high ground or vantage point.

Instead he simply hid behind a building, knowing where the enemy would be coming from, and waited attentively.

SirArtemis
06-11-16, 03:53 PM
Artemis waited patiently, hoping against all odds that the man had gotten distracted and decided to explore the complex. Unfortunately, his instinct told him that the man was here for one thing only and would not be distracted. Nearly two minutes after stepping out, he could hear the patter of footsteps descending the massive staircase, echoing louder with each one as the sound came closer.

The young warrior continued to wait silently, shifting Judicis into the form of a bow and drawing a magical projectile of black energy into the weapon as he waited.

“Ah, so many have sought you, and yet you are finally mine,” the man said, looking upon the chamber that he knew to be the location of the artifact.

Just as the man passed the periphery of the building where Artemis stood, the young man stepped out from the shadows to fire at the man. The projectile struck the target cleanly, yet as it did the magic dispersed as though striking a barrier of sorts around the man.

“Hmm?” the man looked confused at the sudden strike upon his shielding. He turned toward the source, noticing Artemis standing there with his bow drawn. “And who might you be?” he asked, more to himself than anything.

’It’s him,’ Judicis whispered urgently. ’That’s Krysteave!’

The lord smiled as he began to walk toward Artemis. He raised a hand and a bolt of red and black energy surged out of his fingers at the young man.

Artemis tumbled away, taking cover behind the building and watched stone wall crack where the bolt struck. “Why are you doing this?” he yelled from around the corner. “Why did you kill those men? Haven’t you hurt enough people in your wild hunt?”

“And who are you exactly to question me?” he called into the distance, the pompous tone of nobility wrapped around his words. “I need power. What more explanation does one need?”

Another bolt struck the building hard, taking a large chunk of stone from the wall. Artemis quickly turned around the opposite side of the square house and glanced around the corner, teleporting to another building and hoping he remained unseen. He conjured a crimson mist this time and let fly at the caster. Again the missile struck the barrier, flashing slightly upon impact but showing no other effect.

“That’s an interesting toy you have. Maybe I’ll take that as well after I’ve killed you.” As he ended the sentence, he cackled wildly, conjuring tendrils around Artemis’ feet and binding him in place. “Now just stay still!”

Artemis returned Judicis to his passive form as a bracer and pulled out his daggers in one swift movement, slicing down to free himself from the bindings and turned behind the building once more. “What do you intend to do once you get this artifact? Do you think you’ll be safe when others find out what you have?” Artemis hoped that the man was like most arrogant men, glad to tell his evil plan under the pretense of bragging and the assumption of victory. He just needed more time.

“I’ll take all of Salvar, that’s what I’ll do! Every lord will bend their knee and pledge fealty to ME. The Sway will bow to me, they will work for me. Armies will march for me. Ladies from every walk of life will grovel and serve my desires. I will have what is mine!” He laughed again, and then began mumbling softly under his breath. Artemis began to worry, taking a moment to peek around the corner and saw a ball of dark energy being conjured in the man’s hands.

’Oh shit,’ Artemis thought, and quickly broke out in a sprint away from the structure. Seconds later an explosion rocked the cave, its rumble echoing through the closed complex and vibrating through Artemis’ very bones. The blast launched him forward nearly a dozen yards as his body slammed into another of the stone structures, barely giving way while knocking the wind out of Artemis. His daggers clanged as they hit the ground but he quickly scooped them back up, looking at where the lord stood.

Artemis charged at the man and closed the distance fast, expecting another spell from the caster; instead, the man opened his arms wide in acceptance of the attack smiling even wider, causing Artemis to reconsider. Deciding against striking with his blade, Artemis channeled a burst of his elemental magic into a fist of lightning and struck the lord in the face, watching as his foe absorbed the blow like he were being struck by a child. He turned back at Artemis and blasted him with a forceful wave of the red and black magic, launching him away as his body slid across the smooth stone surface.

Artemis lay upon the ground, numb from the shocking blow and disoriented. He looked up to notice the blood mage walking toward him, hands weaving another spell and mumbling.

SirArtemis
06-11-16, 06:04 PM
Realizing the urgency he teleported once more, this time right behind the lord, and shoved a dagger straight through where the man’s liver should have been. The weapon managed to ignore the magical barrier and strike true. However, the blood mage launched a powerful elbow into Artemis’ face, followed quickly by a second, leaving Artemis to release the dagger and fall backward. The blow was of unnatural strength, and even Artemis felt a crunch of bone in his jaw.

“What a disappointing fool you are. And here I hoped for at least a smidge of fun.” He pulled the dagger out of his back and then raised his free hand in the air once more, forming a dense ball of black and red energy in his palm. “Oh well,” he said jovially.

Artemis looked on when in a sudden and brief moment the man lost concentration as pain spread across his face. Without hesitation, the young man blinked across the room again, this time further away and out of the sight of the blood mage. He leaned his body up against a small building that resembled many of the others.

“Where did you run off to this time you coward?” the man yelled angrily. “Don’t you try to get away from me!” His voice had changed, almost corrupt with a sinister voice within. “It’s mine! Do you hear me? It’s mine and you’ll never get it!” As he finished, the chamber suddenly shook violently. Artemis looked to the source and saw the aftermath of what looked like a small explosion. A moment later, another rumble not far from the first hinted at the desperation in the blood mage. Again and again he lobbed what looked like balls of dark red and black energy that pulsed for a moment before erupting and devastating the nearby area. He laid waste to the environment needlessly, destroying architecture and history and memories that didn’t belong to him with the selfishness of a child who wanted more candy and was denied.

'Damn, it's like he isn't even bothered by the wound.' Hoping he was wrong and that the stab did something, Artemis sheathed his other weapon and called upon Judicis, drawing crimson energy once more as he ran across the open room and began firing bolt after bolt at the man. They seemed to continue to disperse, but the blood mage grimaced in pain with each strike, giving Artemis hope.

The blood mage conjured what looked like three spears of energy and shot them at the young warrior. He avoided two but the third pierced the side of his abdomen, burning like fire, before the weapon exploded in a burst of shock sending a wave of overwhelming agony through the very core of Artemis. He stumbled at the pain, landing hard against the stone floor.

“You piece of filth. You think you have what it takes to defeat me?” Again the man approached Artemis, still seemingly unphased by his wound. “You’re nothing but another obstacle in my way. An obstacle that shouldn’t even BE HERE!” He threw back Artemis’ weapon in a taunting way, as though offering him a weapon and knowing it wouldn’t do any good. “Take your little butter knife,” he offered, beginning to weave another spell now that both hands were free.

Suddenly, thorny vines of icy blue appeared to wrap around the body of the blood mage. Confusion splayed across the lord's face, causing him to lose concentration long enough for his own magic to dissipate. Not willing to ask questions, Artemis stood quickly and brought the weapon up and pierced the man’s heart, the enchantments on the blade allowing the weapon to pass through skin and bone and muscle alike as though it were butter. He hoped at least this would harm the man.

The man grimaced in pain, staring at Artemis angrily as he couldn’t suppress a cough. His eyes glowed with the same sinister red and black energy as he erupted with a wave of dark energy, shattering the blue vines and sending Artemis flying back for the third time. The force launched him into one of the few standing buildings, the stone cracking under the force of the blow as well as a few of Artemis’ ribs.

He could see the robed man standing on the ramp to the room, figurine held in one hand. The vines were likely his doing, but it seemed they weren’t enough. “What are you doing?!” he screamed at the blood mage. “You’ll kill us all, you bloody fool!”

'His magic is healing him, Artemis. He's drawing from some source of power, preventing the wounds from killing him even if he feels some of the pain. Perhaps it's related to his shielding?' Judicis' comment concerned the young warrior, as he worried that there would be no way to stop the blood mage.

SirArtemis
06-11-16, 06:49 PM
“Arrogance truly is a disgusting trait,” the blood mage said in a tired tone. His entire body wrapped itself in sinister red and black. His features fell away and were replaced by the avatar of the magic itself, as though energy had simply taken on the form of a person. He held his arms above his head, conjuring a sextet of magical blades and launched them at the robed man. Not a single blade missed, piercing the man all over the body and pinning him back into the stone of the room he had come from.

The artifact had flown out of the man’s hands, flying across the room and sliding along the floor. Artemis looked at it through the pain, terrified of the blood mage realizing what he had just risked destroying. Though admittedly, it seemed reason had left him.

Suddenly the entire complex began to growl and rumble, as though inside the stomach of a terrible beast. Artemis watched the avatar walk toward the robed man, his energy crackling like a hungry bonfire.

“Stop! You’re going to . . . destroy the entire complex!” The robe man yelled between a violent cough. He seemed distressed, but Artemis couldn’t tell if it was from the swords puncturing his flesh or the fear of what he warned would come.

The avatar walked up the ramp to the robed figure, still struggling against the weapons with a strange urgency, and lifted a hand to his throat. The man choked and struggled, and while pinned the avatar absorbed the blades of energy back into his being. He lifted the robed man and then threw him with unbelievable strength launching him across the vast open expanse. He landed nearly thirty yards away, his body tumbling along the destruction that the earlier display had caused.

The robed figure lay motionless, and Artemis feared the worst. He began to rise to his feet, watching the avatar walk toward him and weave what were once hands into another spell. The man lifted a fist up high into the air, smashing it down and sending a ripple of shock through the stone floor. The cavern roared with the aftershock and Artemis pulled out his other blade, holding both up ahead of him in the hope that the dehlar coating would help absorb some of the shock. He braced himself and grimaced as the painful wave passed over him.

The cavern seemed to be under tremendous strain, like a sheet of ice with more weight than it could bear. Artemis knew there wasn’t much time left. Whatever the robed figure was worried about, it was coming. He sheathed his weapons again and hurried behind the building, knowing the man knew the trick by now but hoping he still could buy a few more seconds. He looked over to where the artifact was, clutching his ribs through the pain.

’Just two left,’ he thought, his breath labored and short. He teleported to the artifact, grabbing it quickly and holding it with his free hand and looked over to the wounded robed figure – or perhaps dead. ’Too far,’ he realized. He had one short range teleport left, his power limited, and with just a fifty yard range he’d have to get to the man while trying to run through the pain.

The avatar turned, seeing where he had gone, beginning to cast once more. Artemis began to hear chanting in a strange tongue, different from before and bizarre coming from the figure as he didn’t seem to have lips or a tongue. He raised his hands above his head, conjuring a ball of energy that began to grow. Artemis limped toward the robed figure as quickly as he could, watching the orb grow in size and ripple with energy. He knew that if that attack struck, things would end.

The walls of the complex suddenly began to crack, whatever was straining them clearly becoming a much bigger concern. Perhaps this is what the robed figure warned of. ’Almost . . . a few more yards . . . ‘ Artemis grunted through the pain, using his last teleport. He was just ten yards from the robed figure, limping onward. Two brief seconds passed before a shout from the avatar signified the climax of the spell, but Artemis didn’t turn back. He urged himself onward, knowing the spell had been directed at him, even after his teleport. He could almost feel the energy behind him, rushing toward him with destructive urgency.

The cavern started to collapse, the roof cracking as the floor above collapsed. The mithril vines lost their source of power and sent the entire complex into an utter darkness. All Artemis could see was a faint red glow illuminating the body in front of him. He lunged forward, one hand holding the artifact, and threw himself onto the body of the robed man. He activated the magical tattoo on his arm, a teleport made for travel rather than combat, and held onto the man in desperation. The last thing he saw was a ball of red and black the size of an elephant just a moment away.

As the magic took hold Artemis felt a strange and overwhelming rush of energy run through him. He and the robed man were pulled out of the lost civlization’s site, landing on the hillock outside the Gate of Bordayllum, where Graxis had left Artemis earlier that very same day. When they arrived, Artemis heard a massive explosion off in the distance. As he turned to the north, toward Mount Rutherglen, he saw the rocky peak collapse in on itself. Massive shards of the stone mountain flew outward as whatever the robed man warned about finally happened. Artemis’ vision then blurred, and as the tallest mountain of the Kalev Highlands lost right to its title, Artemis blacked out.

SirArtemis
06-11-16, 09:05 PM
When Artemis regained consciousness there was still light painting the sky, though the sun itself had dipped beyond the horizon. Kneeling over him was the robed man, his hands glowing a soft blue as he placed them over Artemis’ ribs.

“I thought you . . . were dead . . .” Artemis said groggily before letting out a rough cough.

“Don’t speak,” the man said softly. “The magic is still stitching together the tearing of your stomach lining.” Artemis lay there quietly, his breathing shallow as the man concentrated. Seconds passed quietly as the gentle breeze of the area rolled over Artemis body, as though embracing him with a loving caress. “You saved me,” the man said quietly while he worked.

“How are you alive?” Artemis replied, barely more than a whisper.

“If you thought me dead then even more reason to thank you; you risked your life to save the body of a dead man.” His laugh sounded like a man who wasn’t sure what else to do; as though laughter seemed the best default reaction to go with here. "Magic saved me, just as it is helping you right now."

Artemis turned his head to look around the area and noticed the figurine where the man knelt. “So we got the artifact,” he smiled weakly.

“Yes,” the man smiled back. “By the way, what is your name? We never had a proper introduction.”

“Artemis,” he answered. “Artemis Eburi.”

“My name is Amitiel,” the robed figure replied. “It is a pleasure to meet another disciple of Khal’Jaren.” Artemis looked at him with a look of utter confusion, not sure what Amitiel meant. “Ah,” he said, realizing his mistake. “Forgive me. I assumed because of your artifact, you too were a follower.”

“My artifact? What artifact?” Artemis spoke defensively, though for no reason he could articulate.

“The bracer you wear,” the man replied. “I imagine that is one of the legendary artifacts Khal'Jaren crafted while still upon our plane.”

Artemis lifted his forearm, glancing at Judicis. “What?” was all he managed to say. The young man even sensed Judicis’ confusion, reaffirming his notion that if Judicis didn’t know his maker to be Khal’Jaren, then certainly this robed man was wrong. "What makes you think so?"

“Khal’Jaren speaks to me, as I am a tool for his learning. When you arrived, he told me that you wore his magic, and that you could be trusted.” He paused, seeing Artemis' blank expression. “It doesn't matter, forget I said anything."

“What were you doing there?” Artemis asked, changing the conversation. “How did you even get in?”

“I’ve been there for years. Khal’Jaren aided me in my entry and tasked me to research what I could of the lost civilization. He is unable to come to our plane freely, as his energy reacts poorly to the Tap and can cause devastating effect. And as a fragment of the Tap had landed within the outpost, the proximity would have been disastrous. That is why I panicked when the other man began aggressively using his magic.”

“Though he did not realize it, his proximity was pulling heavily from the fragment that was nearby. For him he likely just felt a rush of power. Blood magic comes in many forms. It seemed this man stores his power and draws upon it when he needs, enhancing and molding it with the power of the Tap. His use of blood magic clearly did not resonate well with the fragment and as he drew tremendously from the nearby fragment as well as his own reserves, he began to destabilize the energy. When I woke and looked over at the mountain, it looked much smaller. I expect the fragment, which was already quite unstable, imploded from his abuse of power; more the reason for me to thank you for saving me, as I most certainly would have died in the aftermath.” He paused, realizing he had been rambling. “How exactly did you get in seems the more interesting question.”

“I was following him,” Artemis began, feeling better now that the magic had been at work. “I watched as he seemed to drain three people of life to cast a spell. It was like he hit the shielding and next thing I know, I’m in some stone town.”

“Outpost actually,” Amitiel corrected, “and I expect that he struck the exterior with tremendous force, causing it to ripple. Almost like a wave, and as the wave passed over, the two of you were able to dunk your way into the outpost itself. Fascinating. Though unfortunate for those used for the spell.” He spoke as though he were reading from a textbook, emotionless and simply calculating consequences. “Forgive me,” he said, “I haven’t spoken to anyone in many years. Perhaps I’ve lost a bit of manners.” He reached for the artifact and then rose to his feet, offering his free hand to help Artemis up. With a grunt, the young man rose, standing beside him. “Here, you were looking for this,” Amitiel said as he extended the figurine.

Artemis took it, looking down at the intricate design. Only then did he notice the faintest etching of script tracing along the body of the feline. “I don’t even know how to use it,” Artemis admitted, turning it in his hand.

Amitiel reached over, placing a hand upon Judicis with a smile. “And now you do.”

“Hmm,” Artemis sighed softly, wondering if there was any truth to what the man said about Judicis. “Thank you,” he said, holding onto the artifact.

“I think it’s time we part ways,” Amitiel said. “Now that my mission is over with Khal’Jaren, I’ll have a small reprieve before I begin anew. Perhaps we will cross paths again.” The man extended his hand to Artemis.

“Let’s stay in touch,” Artemis said, clasping the robed man’s hand in his own. “I have a little trinket that can let me reach out to you, if that’s ok.” The man nodded, giving Artemis permission. “Initus Amitiel,” he said clearly. The robed man felt the magic, acknowledging and accepting it with a smile. “Terminus.”

“Neat item,” he laughed softly. “I’ll have to study it someday. Khal’Jaren watch over you,” he added with a wink, stepping away and pulling out an item from one of his robe’s pockets. As he did, blue vines similar to the ones before erupted from the ground and wrapped around the man, pulling him down and into the ground and away from sight. With that he was gone and Artemis stood alone, holding the artifact that had almost cost him his life.

SirArtemis
06-11-16, 11:09 PM
Epilogue

After Amitiel had left, Artemis walked the same path he had earlier that day, passing through walls until Nevette had found him once again. She escorted him through the keep to the same room, taking a completely different route, and Artemis told them of the events that had transpired. Jacob held back tears, unsure whether to feel remorse or relief. With Krysteave gone, he would take the Lordship and rule the area – hopefully with more generosity. Nevette seemed relieved as well, though clearly for other reasons, but had not seemed overly concerned.

Once the meeting had concluded, Artemis had walked back to the church of the Thayne. Seeing he was alone, he pulled out the trinket Graxis had given him and softly spoke his name. Within moments, his body was tugged across Althanas to a cavern tucked into the Zaileya Mountains of Fallien.

Graxis stood with hands behind his back, wearing a smile that seemed to fit so well yet strangely at the same time. “I’m relieved to see you so soon. I had expected your task to take some time.”

“I had some help,” Artemis confessed, looking at the elf through exhausted eyes.

“And you’ve certainly earned some rest,” he acknowledged. “By the way, now that you have the artifact, have you considered what to do with it? If you’d like, I can keep it here for safe keeping.”

Artemis had thought on that during his walk to the keep, the thirty odd minutes gave him enough time to run through his day as well as see the people of the keep once more. “I think I want to try to establish a town of my own,” Artemis said, almost embarrassed. “It’s something I’ve considered in the past, though at the time I’d wanted to do it along the mountains south of Knife’s Edge. You know, along the northern side of the mountains that draw the border of Salvar. Thought the climate would be better there. But . . . after seeing the Kalev Highlands, maybe I can use this artifact and settle a town up there. The mountains have this marvelous effect that makes everything so temperate. It’s really remarkable.” He paused, almost feeling more doubtful now that he heard his own idea aloud. "I don't know . . . it's just a thought."

Graxis nodded, walking over to Artemis. “I think that’s a fantastic idea,” he said as he placed a hand upon Artemis shoulder. “In fact, I have just the thing that can help. Judicis imparted a bit of information about how your abilities work last we spoke, and so I know you have a few ocular abilities. I have one of my own, and if what I know of your magical nature holds true, you’ll be able to absorb and utilize it.” Graxis closed his eyes, mumbling an incantation in an unknown language. Artemis felt a rush of energy through his body – similar, he realized, to the one he felt when he’d teleported away. “If my assumptions are correct, I think you now have it.”

Artemis stood dumbfounded, not sure what to make of the situation. “What exactly do I have, and how do I use it?”

“It is an ability I possess that I developed with the help of Judicis long ago. It allowed me to see the nature of those I met, as though seeing into their very souls. When you look upon a sentient creature, you will see how deeply it aligns with good and evil. Most people fall into a hazy gray area in the middle, but some lean more to one side than the other. Keep in mind that it is intention that drives this, not action. After all, killing as an example is not inherently evil, if done to protect ones you love.” He gave Artemis a warm smile, patting him on the shoulder before releasing his grip and stepping back. “Perhaps I can keep the artifact safe for you then until you settle the plans you have for this town?”

Artemis nodded, grateful for the offer. “I think that’s the most practical thing to do. Speaking of, I felt something similar, when I teleported away and held the artifact. It felt like what just happened – the rush of energy through my body.” As he finished, he lifted the Artifact, looking at the emerald eyes of the elegant white feline figurine. “Do you think . . .”

Graxis took the artifact from the man, raising an eyebrow as he did. “That I do not know. Perhaps you gained ability similar to the one the artifact has? Some sort of cloaking?”

Artemis shook his head, not even wanting to go down that line of thought after such a day. “Maybe. Who knows. I’ll have to worry about that later. For now, I just want to go home.”

“A valid want indeed. I’ll keep the artifact safe. For now, get some rest and see if you can master your new ability, or abilities.” Artemis gave the elf a nod, not having much else to say. “And Artemis . . . Thank you.”

Meanwhile, in the Hold of Hamorearm

“Do you think we should have told him? I mean, I know he's a lowlander, but it still feels wrong,” Jacob commented to Nevette, sitting at the liviol desk in the center of the room where they had met earlier. He had begun working on the endless paperwork that came with the change in lordship.

“What would it have changed?” she asked, sitting on the bed with crossed legs and facing the man. “It’s incentive enough to stop a war. Whatever other threats lie in wait aren’t of consequence.”

“It just feels a bit unjust. He seems a good man – a trustworthy man. One who I’d like to keep on good terms with if we need him again. I don’t want him to feel betrayed.” He melted some sealing wax under a candle flame that flickered, lighting the room as night had come. He let a few drops fall upon the parchment he worked on and pressed his ring into the soft substance to leave his impression – a hammer over five interlocking stars.

“I don’t think it’s an issue, really.” She stood, walking over to the window. “Besides . . . if things go as I expect, he’ll know soon enough.”

Nevette Adylon stood at the window, looking out at the mountain where the explosion had happened just hours before. With the protection of the artifact gone, she could finally seek what had evaded her for so many years. Krysteave’s obsession had benefited her quite a bit as it happens. A secret from the War of the Old Gods, long forgotten, lay buried beneath that hidden outpost - a piece of an Old God, in fact.

And Nevette was going to find it.

SirArtemis
06-12-16, 10:38 AM
Spoils Requested

Gaze of Graxis: Artemis has been gifted a power by Graxis that will allow him to determine how good or evil someone is across a spectrum. Most people fall into a gray area but lean toward goodliness, as their intentions do not come from malice. Artemis will be able to see how malicious they truly are as a person. This does not speak to certain actions, as acts themselves do not carry good or evil, but rather the intention behind them does. This will appear as an increase in blue in goodliness and red signifying evil, starting at a base gray.

Shimmering Cloak: Artemis' body has replicated the power of the artifact he sought on his mission. He is able to activate a cloaking field around himself that renders him almost completely invisible while active. If stationary, it is practically impossible to see him. When moving, someone may notice ripples in the air similar to the way one does when looking down a hot road in the summer. Once noticed, they would have to actively seek him out but it would still be difficult. This ability renders him undetectable by any visual method, including but not limited to subsequent abilities that detect heat, magic, radar, or plain visible light. Duration and uses will be determined in the ROG upon level 10.

Cloaking Artifact: Graxis currently takes care of the artifact for safekeeping, but Artemis now has a cloaking device that can effectively hide up to ten square miles of space, effectively rendering an area impossible to detect or enter. He intends to found a small town with the artifact in the Kalev Highlands that can be a haven for those who seek asylum from the tumult of Althanas. The artifact will be set up and activated and people will not be able to enter or leave without knowing how to do so - which Artemis will keep a well guarded secret in order to ensure secrecy.

Finally, please remember to note the use of the treasure map - which in this story is the blueprint - for the 500% gp bonus.

Gnarl & Root
07-10-16, 04:23 PM
Just a note, your spoils will be approved by the ROG team, not myself. So look out for that afterwards.

Judgment Name: Gaze of Graxis (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?24662-Gaze-of-Graxis)
Judgment Type: Full Rubric
Name of Participant: Sir Artemis

Commentary:

Story: (7 of 10 Points)

The base of the story and what you were aiming for here was good. However, there were a few questions that popped up, which in turn stopped it from reaching any great heights.

Artemis clearly has a strong faith in Judicis, and followed everything without a fault. This, at times, took away from the story to the point that Artemis just accepted whatever everyone said, because Judicis knew everything about them - So why worry? While you painted a picture of a gritty unfair place to live, it lacked the edge because Artemis never really questioned much about it. I'll go into this more on persona.

Otherwise, it was small things that didn't always make complete sense. An example from post fourteen:

Artemis looked on when in a sudden and brief moment the man lost concentration as pain spread across his face.
It was difficult to understand why he was suddenly struck down with pain? A couple of small things like this never felt completely understandable.

It's not always easy writing a story that's all about stopping the bad guy so he can't become all powerful. You did it well but stuck too closely to allow yourself breathing room for further development for both characters storylines and potential side stories. Despite these, however, this reader did enjoy the small twist in the final scene, which, your story benefitted from. As without it, everything seemed just too simple and expected.

Setting: (7 of 10 Points)

Mostly this was rather solid, with clear vivid descriptions and appropriate adjectives. You used some nice metaphors to bring certain scenes to life and your first explanation of the fortified town was great. Example from post four:

Artemis turned his gaze beyond the wall to an even more impressive structure, using his enhanced hawk-eyed vision to examine the seven-story monstrosity. The architecture resembled an hourglass with an exceptionally wide center; a quartet of pillars acted as support for the elegant design. The limited access to the higher floors likely served as a defensive advantage to ensure that the leaders remained secure at the top. A trio of walls surrounded the keep adding layers of protection beyond the massive barrier splitting the region from the rest of Salvar.

However, this reader did struggle on your transitions. You use a lot of magical ideas to shift scenes, especially when within the mountain. However, it wasn't always easy understanding what was happening or where Artemis now was. Slowing these down a little would have helped, as your transitions on these scenes were quick and instant.

The biggest issue that halted your score, though, was post fourteen to fifteen. This reader found the entire section difficult to gage in terms of where Artemis was and what was actually happening. You had a lot in this room / cavern to work with, yet it felt confusing and messy, rather than clear and descriptive. Some examples:

His entire body wrapped itself in sinister red and black. His features fell away and were replaced by the avatar of the magic itself, as though energy had simply taken on the form of a person.

I couldn't picture this. What is the avatar of the magic itself? The colour is great, but without something to add the colour too it falls short.

The artifact had flown out of the man’s hands, flying across the room and sliding along the floor. Artemis looked at it through the pain, terrified of the blood mage realizing what he had just risked destroying.

This was difficult because this reader couldn't picture where in the room anything/anyone was. A lot of your characters actions were not in sync with the scenery, and therefore it made it difficult to understand and picture in my head. An example to explain what I mean.

The artifact flew out of the man's hand, crashing into the stone floor and coming to halt upon the crumpled debris of the collapsed building. Artemis, fearful of how close the blood mage had come to destroying the artifact, watched wearily from the cracked decaying wall he still leant against.

You had a lot happening in these posts, so a little direction to where things were happening would have helped a lot here. You did this a little with the use of the ramp, but it needed more.

Another thing worth mentioning to your compliment is smell and colour. It is something often forgotten, and you used this at times, powerfully.

Pacing: (7 of 10 Points)

Overall pacing was fairly good. Nothing lagged too long anywhere, and nothing, despite a fairly sudden ending, felt out of place.
I refer back to posts fourteen and fifteen for where it struggled a little, but this relates more to how it was described. As the fight continued it started to feel like the fight this reader had been waiting for, but it would have been better placed had the main antagonist had a bigger introduction. Your story told so much about him, and even showed he had no remorse to get where he now was(killing the three men) but the fight just happens and lacked an introduction.

Character:

Communication: (8 of 10 Points)

Communication was a strong point for you. Your speech is powerful at times and appropriate to the situation. It also helped evoke the emotion that felt missing at times and it didn't feel cheesy or cliché.

Being more critical, it sometimes felt like Artemis was too formal. Even the most conformed people show emotion in their speech upon certain situations. You did this well for other characters, but while I appreciated the formal trusting friendship between Judicis and Artemis, it would have been better to see more from Artemis as he interacted with further characters.

An example from post sixteen:

“I was following him,” Artemis began, feeling better now that the magic had been at work. “I watched as he seemed to drain three people of life to cast a spell. It was like he hit the shielding and next thing I know, I’m in some stone town.”

That is being critical, though. As I appreciated the dialogue throughout and thought it was done very well. Feeding a strong emotion into this would have raised this score into the highest points. As well as further internal thought.

Action: (6 of 10 Points)

Your action was generally solid and clear. There was no confusion to what your character was doing or interacting with except for posts fourteen to fifteen as I previously mentioned. However, it would have been nice to see Artemis interact with more within the world. He noticed a lot but didn't really interact with it. The moments and scenes you describe gave plenty opportunity, but there was a distance between himself and the world he walked in. Examples:

Post five:
Artemis even noticed a particularly beautiful field of sunflowers growing a few kilometers away.

Post six:
Artemis started to notice the somber mood of the people. Smiles were exceptionally rare among the folk here.

Post sixteen:
Artemis turned his head to look around the area and noticed the figurine where the man knelt.

You start to notice a pattern here. As regardless to what he notices, he never really interacts with it. Using your actions, when you did, came across well, but investing some more adjectives to his actions would really add to his personality and to the feeling of the piece.

Persona: (6 of 10 Points)

Artemis is very formal in general, and this at times, struggled to convey the emotion he was feeling. You create a bridge between Artemis and the reader by using the term "the man" an awful lot. This, while causing confusion between which "man" you were referring to at times, removed emotion from his actions, his speech and feelings.

When you added it, it was powerful. However, it felt like you created the scene and separated the emotion from it, often explaining how he felt about it afterwards. It left this reader wondering what Artemis really felt about the whole situation, and made it hard to connect. The below example is powerful, but it took time to reach the reader.

Post six:
Artemis’ heart started to well with compassion, and though he had not yet seen anything that could be deemed blatantly wrong or sinister, he could sense the mood of the population as though he were swimming in their gloom. This was not a life worth living – these people just happened to be alive.

This links closely to "Actions" as describing how Artemis feels afterwards, as a lot of these emotions and beliefs really could have been relayed in his actions; how he does it, and why?

A great example. I wanted more of this -
Post fourteen:

He laid waste to the environment needlessly, destroying architecture and history and memories that didn’t belong to him with the selfishness of a child who wanted more candy and was denied.

Prose:

Mechanics:(7 of 10 Points)

You writing reads very well, but it struggled mainly with two things in particular. The first being what I can only describe as over wordy sentences.

Post two:

When the figure had finally gotten close, slits of silver that seemed to glow much like Artemis’ own blue eyes stared back at the young man.
Post three:

Davian looked at Artemis with a gravity and concern that seemed almost out of place on the face of a man of such power.
Post five:

The wall stood near four stories tall made of large blocks of stone melded together flawlessly by magic.

These sentences knocked this reader a bit silly at first. They could be structured better, be it through comma use, or just re-wording. Example of post five above:

There stood a wall of flawlessly magic melded stone bricks that stood four stories tall.

The above caused the second problem: flow. The way you phrase certain things or word them, interrupted the way this reader read your story. It is worth nothing, that while a sentence can be grammatically correct, it's not always the right way to say it. Try thinking about how well it flows onto the next sentence or paragraph, and re-word accordingly.

Other than that, there was various little mistakes sneaking in. Nothing too dramatic, but they were there. Examples:

Post five: Missing word.

He realized then that he could probably intuit that Judicis was in favor of the journey, given that he would have likely voiced his opposition otherwise.

Post Eight: Spelling error.

the smell reminiscient of her silver hair.

Post five: Missing space.

and I'm justpassing through.

Clarity: (7 of 10 Points)

Various problems here were caused with the use of the "the man", and while I noticed you tried to use "young man" for Artemis, this wasn't always clear. Writers often use a particular term to help direct to reader to who they are referring to, however, using such a term as "the man" was very unclear. This reader had to re-read over sentences to make sure I was understanding exactly who you were referring to.

Example from post thirteen:

Just as the man passed the periphery of the building where Artemis stood, the young man stepped out from the shadows to fire at the man. The projectile struck the target cleanly, yet as it did the magic dispersed as though striking a barrier of sorts around the man.

That being said, you are pretty clear with your descriptions and dialogue and clearing up a couple of things would have bumped your score here.

Technique: (7 of 10 Points)

Finding some new techniques or methods to how to describe Artemis, as mentioned above, would help you here. But your main issue that seemed lacking was the description of how things happened during the fight scene. Since magic and powerful features were used during this battle, the way certain things were described fell flat.

Post thirteen:

The lord smiled as he began to walk toward Artemis. He raised a hand and a bolt of red and black energy surged out of his fingers at the young man.

To drive home the moment of this attack, and what it actually looks like, it needed more. A lot of things happen during this battle, but they happen without enough oomph behind it. Since this is the main antagonist and this is the peak of the story, this reader really wanted to delve into the power and dread of it all. An example of what I mean:

The lord smiled devilishly as he walked with a vigour of dread towards Artemis. He scowled as he raised his hands in a sudden motion and aimed them at him; firing a sharp bolt of red and black energy that twirled and spiralled out of his fingers like bursting water from a pipe.

Your general technique you use throughout is fairly solid, and it set a strong mood with some strong moments, but adding just a bit more on these vital moments would have really drilled home the effort that you have put into this. What you do is good, it just needs some polishing touches.

Wildcard: (8 of 10 Points)

You are a talented writer, and I feel if you had chose a more complicated story, you would have been able to give more. You do so much right it was hard acknowledging the wrong. I would enjoy reading more on Artemis.

Final score: 70

Sir Artemis (http://www.althanas.com/world/member.php?14322-SirArtemis) receives:
Experience: 3015
Gold: 1200

Congratulations! Please note, your GP reward reflects your 500% bonus.

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
07-12-16, 04:23 AM
All rewards have been added!