PDA

View Full Version : August 28th- September 28th

Amber Eyes
08-28-12, 03:16 PM
Sorry this is a day late everyone!

You’ve been outside digging a large hole for several hours when you realize that you can’t recall why you are digging it. Retrace your steps to try to discover your motivation

I look forward to reading your entries.

TheOnlyGhost
09-11-12, 11:08 AM
The ladder descended into the hole someone had created as Alicia was trying to remember who made it and why. As she got to the bottom, the open hole sealed off and became permanent for there was no escape. In front of her was nothing but a mirror with a red button in the shape of a circle behind it, yet it showed no reflection at all.

"Strange"

She looked around the cramped area and noticed two doors, one to her left and one to her right with a ladder leading further down into the hole by her feet. There was a strange device by the left door that read "0,0" that had six small red lights and one large red light each matching the light behind the strange mirror. When she picked it up the mirror opened and the button behind it turned green.

Confused, and not having any other options, she pushed the button to see what happened.

As she did the room seemed to spin at tremendous speed as everything started to blur around her and grow to a faint blue. She was now in the same place as she was before, but instead the ladder leading up that was originally the way out is now a new way further up into the hole (but not the exit). The same choices of doors, one on each side, and a ladder below were the only options. In front of her was the same mirror and button behind it, but this time it showed nothing but her hair on her head.

"The mirror seems to gradually materialize my reflection, how interesting. Maybe this is how I escape somehow?"

Taking the right door, the device vibrated in her hand and said "0,1" leading to the same circumstances as before (2 doors, 2 ladders). In front of her was a map that looked like:

-----
-ooo-
-oX--
--oo-
-----

Taking note of the map, she assumed the mirror was the "X" at location "0,0" and were curious what the "o"'s were. She then realized that the door to the left of the one with the mirror was marked with an "o" meaning it was showing her where something important was. Following this theory, she took the ladder down of her current position first(they always lead to the same thing {2 doors, 2 ladders ... that way I won't have to mention them 99999 times :p } but this time her device read "1.-1".

"This device must mark the location in this dreaded hole that I am in, there is no other explanation."

In front of her was a turnable valve that was vertical. Shrugging, she turned it into the horizontal position and as she did, one of the small lights on the device turned from red to green.

"Interesting."

Going to "0,-1" her theory of the location in the hole was correct, for there was another identical valve in the vertical position. She turned it horizontal once again as a second light turned green on the device. "Thought so! This is my ticket out!" Alicia went to the other valves at locations {"-1,0" ; "0,1" ; "-1,1" and "1,1"}. When she turned the last valve, the device lit all the buttons green and the sound of the mirror in the distance implied that it had moved. Alicia returned to it and it was open with the same button as before. She pressed it, and again the room spun at tremendous speed leading her to the same place she originally started in, but this time the mirror showed more of her.

"I can see my hair and my eyes now, perhaps I need to complete my image to escape?"

Heading to "1,0" her friendly map was back, but this time showed:

-ooooo
-ooooo
-ooooo
-ooooo
-ooooo
Xooooo

"MUCH more complicated."

She headed towards "1,1" first to see what was there. It was another valve, but this time it had a circle in the middle with a pull handle to the right. Alicia pulled the handle and the circle read "52", she pulled it again and it said "12" then "42". It kept randomly creating numbers.

"Odd, lets see if the others do the same thing."

Alicia went to every single one listed on the map and each were giving the same results as the others, nothing but random numbers. Looking at her device, no buttons were lit green.

"Specific locations maybe?" She turned one of the valves as it read "34" ... testing out the theory, she headed towards "3,4" on her device. Alicia turned the valve and one of the buttons turned green "Perfect!" She repeated the process as all the buttons turned green making the noise of the mirror echo in the hole once again with the button awaiting her push. Alicia pushed it again, embracing herself for the spinning as it lead her further into the same maze ... this time with a light greenish hue. The reflection in the mirror showed her entire face now along with her hair, but nothing else. "Still a long way to go."

Going to her trusty map, this time it read:

-----
-ooo-
--X--
-ooo-
-----

She headed towards "0,-1" first as it led to a vertical valve like in the first area, but this time two red lights (on on each side) could be observed. She tried to turn the valve, but it refused to budge. Putting all her might into it, the valve refused to move.

"It's stuck!"

Frustrated, she went to "1,-1" to see if that valve would work, but instead she saw a strange device the read:

bbb
bbb

With a red dot in the center of the four numbers, and below it six gray buttons (the b's mark the location of the buttons). Pushing each button, she realized the top buttons changed the four numbers at top ... the top buttons made the numbers go higher and the bottom buttons go lower. She kept pushing them to see what happens and noticed that all the numbers changed, respectfully, except the "5". "Interesting." Alicia visited the other location of the six gray buttons ("1,1") as it showed:

bbb
bbb

This time all the numbers changed except for the "2" ... she concluded that each device must match the stationary numbers to break the code. She tested the theory and it worked! This time, going back to the valves, both of the lights were green and the valve turned easily as she heard the mirror open. Pressing the button at "0,0" the room spun and turned a dark bluish color as now her arms were showing in the reflection.

Going to her trusty map it read:

--o--
-o---
--X--
o-o-o
--o--

Going to "0,-1" first it had a circle with a turn handle that had three dots on it, as she tried to turn it, it refused to move again. Going to the others, they each had a different amount of circles up-to six of them. "An order to turn them perhaps?" Heading towards the circle that had only one dot, she tested the theory and turned with ease. Following the pattern, once again the mirror opened and she pressed the button this time turning grayish as she did so.

Once again, going to her trusty map in "1,0" it read:

----o-
--o---
----o-
-o----
---o-o
X-----

Alicia went to each location first, and all of them had two circles with a red dot in the middle that each read "A,A". Every time she touched the circles, they went up in a letter all the way to "F,F".

"Knowing my alphabet, I have a feeling of what I need to do."

She started at "1,2" and put in "A,B". To no surprise, the light turned green and so did one of the six buttons on her locator device. She continued following the pattern, heading back to the mirror once she was done and pressed the button, this time the rooms changed into a green hazy color as the rooms grew gradually darker. This time her reflection showed her chest, yet she was still missing her legs.

Going back to her trusty map at "1,0" it read:

o---o-
-o----
--oX--
o----o
--o---
------

"Why are there seven 'o's instead of six? Strange.

Alicia headed towards "-1,0" to see what was there first as she saw a machine with six buttons with wires heading towards the mirror. Each time she pushed the button, a specific symbol showed up. There were a total of 20 symbols for each circle that looped to the beginning symbol. She assumed that the locations on the map (the other six 'o's) would give her the correct order of symbols to open the mirror. Testing this theory, it worked! She pressed the dreaded button and was hoping for an end soon as the rooms now turned a hazy yellow making the rooms even darker and harder to see. She looked in the mirror and had one leg, but was missing the other in the reflection. "So close!"

Going to trust ol' "1,0" the map was missing! There was no map! On the wall were five random flashing lights.

"Let's pray these are the locations I need to go."

Heading towards "0,1" there was a lamp facing the wall with a wire running below. She tried to turn it on, but it needed power. Following the wires, she noticed a power switch and turned it on returning to the lamp. It glowed an image on the wall that showed:

\ / \ / / \

...along with the locations of the "\"'s and "/"'s in order. Heading towards the first "\" she noticed a mechanism with four red lights in a X shape. Nodding her head, as if she understood the puzzle, she turned the lights in the "\" position as one of the six lights on her locator device turned green. "BINGO!" She repeated the process and pushed the button behind the mirror, this time it turned a harsh dark purple color making the rooms EVEN darker. She looked in the mirror and only part of her other leg appeared, the whole leg was still not complete.

She noticed a note near the mirror this time that read:

"READ ME!"

Have you noticed that with each puzzle solved you
move deeper below ground? That doesn't look like
a good escape plan. The hole itself is a giant trap.
In order to escape it you MUST stop solving puzzles
or you will just remain permanently in this loop once
your reflection is completed. One more puzzle, and
your reflection will be complete, and it will suck you
in this dreaded place for eternity.

Here is what I want you to do:
Look for a transportation device at "-12,9". This should
disconnect you from the loop and have you return above
ground. Good luck!

~ A

Ignoring the map at "1,0" she headed towards the coordinates and noticed the teleportation device. She touched it and returned above ground, realizing she was "A" for Alicia and dug the hole to trap others, not herself. For some reason the hole had negative energy which caused her to forget her digging it in the first place. Remnants of dark energy flowed over the hole as she quickly covered it up, hoping no one would ever unleash it's evil and become trapped there again.

Alternate version if you are curious:

Ignoring the letter, she completed the puzzle as she got permanently trapped in the prison eventually dying from thirst and hunger solving endless puzzles before doing so. :p

BlackAndBlueEyes
09-17-12, 03:35 PM
The hooting of an owl woke me with a start. I was laying against the gnarled bark of an old tree, dust and dirt from the hard-packed earth below clinging to my black laboratory coat. My arms and legs ached for some reason, and I could feel a blister forming on my right pointer finger. Shaking the sleepies out of my head, I looked around in an attempt to gather where the hell I had fallen asleep and why.

A dying torch burned before me, the ashen cloth glowing softly with the shrinking flame. A faint wisp of smoke rose from the stick, planted firmly in the ground. It wasn't giving off much light anymore; outside of the three- or four-foot radius of light, I was surrounded by dark and twisted shadows hiding monstrosities that only the gods and foolish could fathom.

Another round of hooting came from my right. I ignored it, picking myself up off the ground and giving the backside of my jacket a good dusting. A pit of darkness near the dim torch caught my eye. Stepping closer and bending the torch over it, I saw that it was an ordinary hole in the ground; hastily dug, roughly two feet deep, and roughly wide and long enough to fit a human body in.

Curious, I thought to myself. Normally, my mind would be racing, trying to figure out why I was here; systematically going down the list of all of the enemies I've made, their threat level, and the likeliness that they'd "send me a message" such as this one in such an odd fashion--but my brain was still trying to clear the fog.

I stood the torch back up straight and took a step away from the small pit. My foot caught on something, sending me tumbling to the ground. A light thunk! and a ping! came from the pit. Moving onto my knees and leaning over the pit, I saw the faint outline of a shovel. Nothing special, Maddie. Let's get a move on.

Rising to my feet, I dusted myself off a second time. I took a couple of ache-filled steps towards the torch, lifting it out of the ground and holding it in front of me. It was time to find my way home.

I took another two steps before a wheelbarrow covered in cloth came into the dim light. The sight of it tugged at me, as if this were something important to my present circumstances. Part of me knew better than to go sticking my hands into strange cookie jars, but I learned to block that part out a long time ago.

Hesitantly, I took a step towards the wheelbarrow. With my free hand, I tore the sheet away, and was instantly hit with the overwhelming stench of death and decay. My eyes watered, and bile rose into my throat. I took a few steps away and coughed violently. It was several minutes before I could go investigate the wheelbarrow again.

Lying inside it, curled up into a fetal position, were the naked remains of a human. Twelve or thirteen years old, I had to guess, with copper hair and a look of unbearable pain and intense horror forever etched onto her face. Her skin had turned an odd shade of brownish green and shrunk to the point of tearing; and in some instances, her skin and muscles had torn apart completely--giving space for several fungal growths to emerge, each blackened and bloody sprout and stalk fighting its bretheren for room to grow. Short vines had grown out of her ears, nostrils, and open mouth. Her thick blood pooled in the bottom of the wheelbarrow.

"Ah, that's right," I said to nobody in particular.

I started to remember that the horrendous sight had a name not twelve hours ago. She was Anne, an orphan I scooped up from the streets of Radasanth with the promise of a fresh start on life, a roof over her head, and food in her belly in exchange for her assistance in my lab and her utter silence.

Anne was a terrible klutz, a horrible assistant, and--worst of all--a talker. Word had gotten out to a couple of my associates about some of the more... extreme designs I was working on in my spare time. I briefly considered letting her off with a warning; but people don't change. Having my secrets spoiled twice was not something I wanted to risk. I remember injecting her with the latest little concoction I was working on as a punishment.

I dwelled on the pros and cons of searching out another assistant to take her place as I wheeled Anne over and unceremoneously dumped her modly, rotten corpse into the pit.

Itera
09-25-12, 01:18 PM
Brisk winds blew autumn leaves between trees. Golden sunlight peeked through between streaming clouds. Geese arrows chorused across the gray skies. Scarlet layers played music on the ground.

In a mountain turned yellow and red, alongside a burbling stream floating colorful boats, laid a tranquil village of sixty heads. Many streams of blue smoke rose diagonally.

Though many pass through the village square, one remains sitting there on her chair. The seat was simple but well-made, with reclined back, armrests, and thin cushions. The sitter was beautiful and well-dressed, with long, blonde hair and amber eyes. Her white cap had a red ribbon. Her conservative, white gown was mostly frills. A parasol hung from the left armrest. A teacup steamed in her left hand.

Nearby, deep rumbling trembled the earth constantly; great stones were falling from the sky. They emerged from a rift in midair, each piece shaped like a perfect cylinder.

(At this point, I gave up trying to follow 7 words per phrase.)

The fairies of Tenger Jerhal, when they were not entertaining themselves in outlandish and occasionally unilateral games, were prone to contemplations of nature. Itera was immersing herself in the contemplation of autumn, what little autumn she could observe here, for its relevance as part of the Boundary of Summer and Winter. It was probably the most immediately colorful part, moreso than other parts like Spring, the Equator, and the Third Page of The Calendar, though the last one sometimes came rather close.

"Hi Mith Itera. Do you want more whithkey?" The question snapped Itera out of her contemplation like a whale emerging from the abyss. She turned her head towards the speaker, creating fresh direction to her hair as she came into irons.

It was Delas. The boy was no more than five or six and had been using every excuse to be near Itera since she arrived here in Gweyerdon-on-Pon. Naturally, about half of the other children had also been similarly showing their fascination and the other half were doing their level best to stay out of sight. School attendance would be at an all-time low if there had been a school here.

"Yes, please." Itera held out her mostly-empty cup. Delas struggled a little to heft up the jug the size of his head; his subsequent aim was passable. Mulled maple whiskey, one of the fine pleasures of Althanas, warmed Itera's hands through the cup.

"Thank you, Delas." The words were nearly drowned out as another dull, rumbling crash vibrated the ground. There was a murmuring of wonder from gathered children.

The boy smiled brightly and hurried off reluctantly; the workers in the forest would be upset with him if their drinks arrived late. Itera settled back in her chair, picked a newly-settled leaf off of her sleeve, and rested with chin over the steaming cup. In that moment, she reflected on how serenely happy she was to have good drink, to have adolating company, to have beautiful scenery, and to be relaxed. She could get used to-

Itera's brows crinkled. No, that wasn't right at all. She was a fey among mortals. She came from high paradise to tourist the mortal world - or something. There was probably a mission or task but she couldn't remember anything, so it probably wasn't important. Settle down? In this place?

The brows crinkled a little further. What was she doing here? Sitting here and basking in the warm glow of whiskey was-

Another dull thud as extruded stone cracked loose and rumbled its way down the slope to the stone dump. That jogged Itera's alcohol-hazed memory to remember: She was boring.

Some distance away, there was a neat, perfectly circular hole going flat into the mountainside. It was already deep beyond sight, but if one followed the rod-straight staff in, there will eventually be a purple glow at the end. It was one of Itera's rifts, making its steady way through the rock. The spatial discontinuity at the edge sliced through stone as neatly as sunlight through air.

Much closer, above a pounded-flat bit of sloped grass, the excavated granite emerged in a neat cylinder, like from a sausage machine. It would hang there in midair, entirely horizontal, until the weight of it all cracked the extrusion and a section breaks off to roll rumbling downhill. With an almight crash, it would slam into the pile of other stone cylinders at the bottom. Already, there was enough stone here to rebuild half the village over.

Itera's brows attempted to duplicate a mountain range in miniature. Boring stone out of a mountain seemed like a horribly dull and stupid thing to do, unless something funny like dropping the big rocks on somebody's house was the end result. Was she drunk?

She lifted up the drink. She stared at the drink. She drank the drink.

No, she wasn't drunk enough. Then what-

Crack. Rumble. Crash.

Gweyerdon-on-Pon has made its living through non-lumber forestry, producing great quantities of syrup, whiskey, and distills by chipping ice out of barrels in the snowy winters. A year or so ago, little yellow flakes had been found clinging to laundry washed in the Pon. It was shiny, soft, pretty, and ultimately useless for anything except as a trinket. Then Belbur Yers came home from being a blacksmith in the cities, where he had seen some similar stuff.

Gold.

Gold fever completely failed to take hold among the level-headed and laid-back population of the village. Belbur explored up the stream and eventually found more flakes, a nugget or two, and an exposed vein. He was excited. A mine would enrich the village, but he understood perfectly well that spreading the news and attracting prospectors would enrich the prospectors, not his hometown. It was a stressful thing, sitting on such wealth but not being able to get at it. Then he met a most extraordinary person.

Itera remembered meeting Belbur. He was an almost completely ordinary human except for a je ne sais quoi that shouted all kinds of desperation and exploitability. After a short discussion and a shorter demonstration with a spatula, two maypoles, five pounds of live trout, and a length of string, all involved agreed that Itera should have a longer discussion with the village. They set off for Gweyerdon-on-Pon in a great deal of hurry, before the remainder of the tavern could come back down.

It was completely unlike her to do something so pedestrian as to be unrestrainingly helpful. There was the discussion about where to put the hole in the mountain. There was the bit about where to put all the extra rock liberated from the mountain. Surely there was something about Itera possessing all the souls or first-born or something in exchange?

It can't be souls. Itera thought. These people look too happy to be soulless shells. Maybe that's why all the children are-?

Crack. Rumble. Crash. Click.

Itera relaxed in her seat. She remembered. It suddenly made sense now. She had been promised whiskey, syrup, and brandy anytime that she asked, provided that she was reasonable about the asking. Just like the bakery incident, there wasn't much that you couldn't get out of a fairy by offering food and drink. She smiled and ran a pink tongue along the rim of the cup; it really was very good whiskey.

"Delas!" She called out, "Another one, please!"

Silence Sei
10-04-12, 09:46 AM
Stepping in for Amber on this one too.

BlackAndBlueEyes wins this week's vignette, and recieves 500 exp, 200 GP

Itera comes in second and recieves 240 exp*, 175 GP

The Only Ghost nets third for 100 exp, 0 GP

* I calculated the exp under the assumption that Itera is level 1, as Itera will indeed be level 1 once the exp from the last vignette is calculated.

Letho
10-17-12, 12:38 PM
EXP/GP added.