PDA

View Full Version : The Absolution of Ignorance Begins!

Ürei
08-26-06, 01:37 AM
Raiaera; the Grand City of the Elves. Last time I was here it wasn’t grand and their walking late ancestors out numbed the poor Elves. A terrible calamity beset upon them by that foul mage, Xem'Zûnd. Glad I am that their walls stand once more though in defiance of their past. The land is still twisted and scarred, but even that will eventually fade away.

New generations come, and the old die with their memories of the tragedies. The new must conquer the old, yet always remember it.

Finishing the entry into his journal with a flourish of the feathered quill pen, Grimoir gently shut the Never-ending Journal and rubbed its cover. Pushing it off his lap with a brisk shove, it flew a few feet through the air before fading into an ethereal outline of its previous glory. Before the image even drew close to the grass it was gone without a trace. The intellectual figure dried the ink out of the quill pen and tucked it into a inside pocket of his long coat. Smoothing out the raven feathers embellishing the jacket, he stood and patted himself down gently.

Raising his eyes to the majestic sun that was cradled serenely by a wisp of milky clouds, Grim breathed the Elven air deeply as he left the rock that had served as his perch. A tumbling brook accompanied by a rocky beach ran alongside a patch of forest near one of the entrances of the Istien University. It was separated into four schools, each with private classrooms and tutoring areas. The Elves, of course addicted to the open air, had many rooms without ceilings, or simply wandered out to the courtyards to do their studies. Sweet sounds and chords of both joy and fury interlaced in the air, creating an almost tangible charm inhaled at every breath. Magic was thick here, and even the inept Grim could feel it.

Mounting the stairs leading to one of the large arching entrances of the Istien University, Grim was met politely by a tall Elven musician. Probably either a high ranked student or a teacher, the man quietly asked him which School and Classroom he was looking for. Grim simply chuckled softly and ran a hand through his hair, not entirely sure what to say. After a moment of thought, his optimism-edged voice came out in a bundle.

“Well, you see, I haven’t exactly enrolled in the school as of yet. I was hoping you could very well direct a fellow such as I to a place which within I may place myself upon the list of students here.”

The Elf took more then just a second to think about the words then smiled and nodded. Opening the door, he put on an air of kind superiority and gentle guidance as he led Grim into the school. The roomed they entered opened up as a large lobby. The entire building was of magnificent design, almost indescribable in its pure dedication to aesthetic value. Not exactly an architect himself, but moderate in physics, the building seemed to defy gravity, arching and hanging in ways that shouldn’t be possible. Though it was very unnatural, a pure unrequited aspect of nature was integrated into every aspect of the design. It felt as if you were standing in a marble jungle though you knew yourself to be inside a building. In all simplicity, it was beyond the imagination of Grim to know how they build this building. He barely even noticed when the Elf began speaking.

“You are in the Turlin School, is that where you want to be? It doesn’t matter where you enroll, enrollment applies for the entire University.”

Grim nodded and grinned, surprised that he had managed to get the right building.

“Yes, Turlin, that’s exactly where I had propositioned to present myself at this precise juncture in time. Now, where may I sign down my information and begin my lessonings?”

Excited and anxious, Grimoir went through the procedures and paper-work doing that an Elf secretary put before him before he was asked a few questions about his knowledge on music and magic. After deftly demonstrating his absolute ignorance on both subjects, the female Elf that was helping him laughed with him for a bit then suggested ‘Philosophy of Magic’. A brief comment about how Grim had always considered himself a philosopher ended the polite conversation and he headed down a hall with a map in hand. She had also suggested that he think up an instrument to learn so that he may further his studies in the school.

Now I must learn to create music from a untalented heart. I wish it false what they say about true music coming only from birth, not training. I’ve never failed to learn anything before, and I refuse to fail here.

Approaching the room designated by a mark on his map as his correct class, he pushed on the wooden-appearing door and entered whilst shoving the map into an inside coat pocket. Glancing around the room his eyes caught notice of a few windows and large desks strewn through the room with several organized yet empty chairs filling the room. An elf, which he was not yet sure if it was male or female yet, stood at one of the windows gazing out over the gardens of Eluriand’s inner city.

Coughing to announce his presence, he spoke up with a meager tone that didn’t fit his age.

“I’m here to learn about this sing-song magic you Elves prize so very dearly and I admire with adoration in my heart of hearts. I’m unskilled in music as of yet, but hope to learn before my time here is done. I am to become a master, you see, and I do not intend to stop until I do. Now, can you help me get started along that path?”

Finishing with a kind laugh, Grim twined his fingers and stood with relax, waiting patiently for an answer. Deep inside his mind he felt the line flux, but held it in hold. Breaking soul here would be fatal at best, and could possibly even get him expelled from this school before he ever started. Closing his eyes for but a second to concentrate, he abolished the line and ignored the existence of his others. They were not to be a part of this school.

Sighter Tnailog
08-31-06, 11:43 PM
((I am playing an NPC. EXP rewards are welcome, of course, should the mod like the thread, but should be drastically reduced to reflect that Findelfin is not a participant.))

"It is a hard path you take, this magic."

The elf spoke, still facing out the window. He seemed to be thinking deeply about what to say next.

"We felt you coming from a long way away. It is not easy, sensing another soul. They tend to be small, and they hide within the body deeply, very deeply. Even I cannot always do it, even with strong souls. But you...we felt you before you set foot in Raiaera. Even the youngest, most inexperienced elfchild in this school knows that something is strange. They don't know what it is, but they feel it, as if something weighs on them, something from far away. Your soul..." he paused, as if reluctant to say the words, "...is strong. Frighteningly so."

Turning to face away from the window, for a moment the figure blocked off the light. But then, he stepped away, and his features became more visible. He was an older elf; his age could be seen in hair greying around his temples, his eyes growing small bags around them. People liked to imagine that Elves never aged, that they remained in their prime until they died. But it wasn't true. Anyone who had been to Raiaera had seen them: old elves sitting on porches, swapping stories of their glory days 2000 years before. Elves were not quite that different from humans, after all.

Even though the elf was now visible, though, Grim wasn't likely to recognize him. Few humans had seen even a picture of this man. He looked at the man, who to him was only a boy, and said, "We thought about turning you away. But that would violate the oldest rule of Istien; to teach any who come for knowledge, to turn away only those who break our sacred trust. We had the girl outside send you to this class. I want to make sure you know a few things first, and it is doubtful anyone else has strength to teach you. I wonder if I have the strength myself."

Extending a hand to the young man, he said, "I am Varalad Del Tirin, the High Bard of Raiaera. And you would be?"

Ürei
09-15-06, 04:43 PM
The glitter of sunlight through super-fine yet strong windows made the Elf’s silver hair shine as his head moved. The amazing archways, as if made from an army of fairies giving birth to the strong imagination and ability of the Elves, framed the elder figure. As he spoke, Grim slowly recognized the light yet distinctly wizened voice to be male. It was often hard to decipher male and female voices when it came to the gracious Elves, but after knowing so many in his days, Grim could do it easily. As the man spoke, the scientist concentrated on each word, knowing from the inflection of his voice that he was both deeply concerned and anxious. The elf wasn’t lying, there was something special about Grimoir’s soul.

The experiments that Rosy and I conducted on my body must have had greater effects then we ever imagined. This elf speaks of the amazing strength of my soul, yet I should have but the power of three souls. A multiplication of three is not quite amazing enough to acclimatize such an effect on their sensitive senses. Another fact must be at play here. I must learn what it is!

The forever flame of curiosity burning brighter in his heart, the man’s brows furrowed as he heard that some of the Elves were frightened of him; that one word invoking possible results that would not be to his liking. Grim knew that his stay in the Academy and in Raiaera in general was going to be a long one, and he would have to get to the bottom of this soon before someone took fear and turned it into hatred.

Fine light showered the elderly Elf’s face, his gentle curves slightly dulled from age. The thought that this Elf must be incredibly aged to have even the slightest sign of physical age showing; and a new reverence for his teacher-to-be rose. This was nothing, however, compared to the shock his mind had when the elder Raiaeran introduced himself as the High Bard of Raiaera. Such a proclamation put the ‘power’ of his soul into a new light that the strongest of the Bards of Raiaera doubted their own strength compared to his unfocused version. Not giving himself time to gape like a foolish idiot, Grimoir calmly walked forth and greeted Varalad, shaking his hand firmly.

“I am Grimoir Dirgeon, and it is a pleasure indeed to meet you. I possess a crippling amount of questions, yet I suppose that should wait. However, I do strive desperately to know one piece of information if you have it,” Grim paused for a moment, trying to find the best way to word the question, “Why is my soul different?”

Grim’s blue eyes stared deep into the Elf’s orbs, calmness and serenity radiating from his form. Tainted only by his curiosity and hidden anxiety to begin learning the most masterful trade of the Elves. Patience kept his tongue still and his mind open for the answer, or for any response at all. This was a time to learn and to better himself, and no biases or prejudices would dare get in his way now. Pushing aside all other thoughts from his head, he gave rapt attention to the intelligent Varalad Del Tirin. All the while a voice echoed in his mind.

Frighteningly powerful…