PDA

View Full Version : Commercial Contest Discussion

Sagequeen
10-02-12, 09:12 AM
Althanas is hosting its first ever Commercial Contest!

All Althanas writers will be welcome to submit their 60 second commercial script, and the best of those will be brought to life by a professional voice actor. The finished products will be used in recruitment efforts through many forms of social media.

These commercials will have no designated topic; they may be about your character, power group, a region, a past or present event in Althanas, or even an OOC approach about the site's features. You can be as creative as you like, but remember, you must be relevant and compelling.

While a single winner will be chosen, those scripts that are most compelling will be voiced and produced, and there will be no shortage of rewards for your efforts.

More details are pending, but you may ask your preliminary questions here!

Examples:

Peace Or Pain (http://www.presence-creative.com/PeaceOrPain100312)

Assassin's Life (http://www.presence-creative.com/assassinslife100312)

Mordelain
10-02-12, 09:14 AM
What format do the scripts need to be in?

(Also...is it my turn to post in A Play? *awkward).

Sagequeen
10-02-12, 09:22 AM
Your commercial script must be slightly less than 60 seconds when read out loud.

Keep in mind that inflection and sound effects take time, too, so allow for those by using fewer words. As a guideline for length, 60 seconds is about 12-15 lines of text on the normal word processor, 12 point, Times New Roman font, all caps -- or around 150 words, give or take. The best way to determine whether or not your commercial meets the guidelines is to act it out, against a clock, while leaving room for the bells and whistles.

I suggest using a normal word processor, to be sure you meet the time requirement, before posting. A simple copy/paste from there is fine.

(And YES! It's your turn!)

Ashla
10-02-12, 10:27 AM
How long do we have to do these (like when is the due date)?

Sagequeen
10-02-12, 11:52 AM
The contest beginning and end, as well as the official rules, will be announced in the coming days.

Christoph
10-02-12, 02:17 PM
Must... resist... urge to begin all entries with a gruff voices saying, "In a world..." :D

Now, must the script limit itself to a single voice, or can we write for more than one voice? It may or may not be relevant for my entry, but others may be wondering as well.

Sagequeen
10-02-12, 02:55 PM
I'm planning on a male and a female voice, together or separately. I'll elaborate in the rules, which I'll post...

SoonTM

But seriously, I'll have the official rules posted in a matter of days. :)

Funny thing is, Christoph, I'd wager just about everyone who read 'In a world,' read it in that narrator's voice.

Ashla
10-02-12, 03:50 PM
Okay, thank you :)

TheOnlyGhost
10-02-12, 09:43 PM
I don't have any means of audio recording/posting of any kind. Can I just post my material here, have someone else narrate it, and still get credit for it if I win?

Sagequeen
10-02-12, 10:16 PM
TheOnlyGhost - you have at your disposal two people who do audio for a living, with access to professional studios and music/sfx libraries. You need only provide a script once the contest officially begins.

Max Dirks
10-03-12, 10:58 AM
Sagequeen, can you provide us with an example?

BlackAndBlueEyes
10-03-12, 11:14 AM
Two examples are posted in the contest thread itself.

Sagequeen
10-03-12, 11:17 AM
I have edited the original post in this thread to add two examples.

And if anyone cares to know, I'm the female voice and BlackAndBlueEyes is the male voice. :)

Ashla
10-03-12, 12:31 PM
I have edited the original post in this thread to add two examples.

And if anyone cares to know, I'm the female voice and BlackAndBlueEyes is the male voice. :)

Wow! You guys have really epic voices!

Sagequeen
10-03-12, 12:38 PM
Thanks BlueGhost. We both work in the voice industry :)

The contest has now officially started! Check the Contest Submission Thread (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?24831-Contest-Commercial-Contest-Submissions) and get your submissions posted! Just make sure you read the rules thoroughly first!

Best of luck to all of you who enter!

Ashla
10-11-12, 03:58 PM
Cool, Sagequeen! :)

Okay, so I am currently working on a commercial for Althanas featuring my character. I'm still editing it, trying to make it as "epic" as possible. It will be up soon!

Sagequeen
10-11-12, 04:11 PM
Less than ten days left in the competition!

Let's see those entries!

BlackAndBlueEyes
10-15-12, 08:39 AM
Don't forget, the contest ends this Saturday at noon CST!

Get your entries in now!

Sagequeen
10-19-12, 08:51 AM
Alright, you procrastinators. You have one full day left to get your entries completed.

Those who have already entered: did you read your script out loud to make sure they're as close to :60 as possible? You still have time to make edits!

Luned
10-19-12, 11:00 AM
You've probably already got this in your bookmarks, but there's some great and Althanas-y music available to use here. (http://incompetech.com/music/royalty-free/index.html?collection=033)

Sagequeen
10-30-12, 04:05 PM
And congratulations to our winner, Christoph!

Be looking for the audio very soon, and thanks to those who entered!