PDA

View Full Version : Become a Noble: Join the League of Salvic States

Ashiakin
08-26-06, 07:26 PM
The League of Salvic States is the term for Salvar’s alliance of landholders loyal to the King. Thanks to recently passed reforms, anyone who is capable of paying for land may purchase it and enter this elite class. Keep in mind that while you may achieve prosperity through whatever means you wish, upon entering this faction you must swear an oath to Salvar’s king—that you will keep the peace, pay taxes, raise and command an army from your lands in times of war, offer your counsel to the king, and do whatever else he asks of you without questioning his wisdom. This faction essentially gives you a small piece of Salvar to call your own and lets you do what you want with it. You can create an agricultural estate, a mercenary encampment, a mining operation, a trading center, a business enterprise, or anything else you can think of. My goal is to limit your imagination as little as possible, while keeping the system fair and believable.

In order to join the League of Salvic States, you need only have 500 GP to pay for a land deed to one of the starter estates I have listed below. If you do not have 500 GP, you are allowed to go in debt to the crown. You will have three months to either pay the 500 GP or complete a 15+ post thread scoring a 60 or higher. This cannot be a thread you use as to level up (explained shortly.) You should clearly indicated in your post whether you are going to pay the 500 GP or take the three months. If you take the three months, you may post that you wish to pay or a link to your 15+ post, 60+ score thread anytime during that period. If you fail to complete either option in the three months given to you, the military will take over your lands until you are capable of paying or have completed a thread. You cannot upgrade, receive salary, or wage war while your lands are occupied by the government.

After that, you will be allowed to upgrade your estate at certain intervals by achieving one of two things: hitting ten reputation in Salvar (so at 10, 20, 30, etc.) or by submitting a thread with 20+ posts involving your lands that scores a 65 or higher. This can be a thread you use to advance in another faction. Upgrades will generally run you 1000 GP and will work a lot like the RoG. I’ll go more in-depth on this point shortly.

Joining: The following are the starter estates for joining. Remember, you may join no matter what your reputation in Salvar is, as long as you can pay the 500 GP. Just pick one of the starter estates I have listed below. Feel free to customize it a little to suite your individual tastes, but don’t deviate too far or you won’t be approved. I’m talking about basic architecture of your buildings and the like. Not, “Hey, I want a mech factory!”

Type #1 – An estate on the southern or coastal plains of Salvar.
Type #2 – An estate on the coast or along a river of Salvar.
Type #3 – An estate in the mountains or hills of Salvar.
Type #4 – An estate on the border of civilized Salvar near the tribes.
Type #5 – An estate in the fertile valley surrounding Knife’s Edge.

Now, select one of the estates above, make sure you have 500 GP in your account if you plan to go that route, fill out the following form and post it in this thread. I’ll take a look at what you’ve given me and ask you to make the appropriate edits if needed. Once you receive my approval, you’ll be added to the census and will have access to the LSS missions board.

Land Deed Application
Character Name:
Salvar Reputation:
Estate Type:
Estate Name:
Your Title:
Estate Description:

Also mention if you want to pay the 500 GP now or take the 3 months discussed in paragraph 2.

You may name your land anything you want and you may give yourself any title you want. It’s understood in Salvar that the name of your estate and your title have no real bearing on your power in the region. Your description should just talk a little bit about how you plan on making money with your estate. You really don’t have to freak out about telling me what all of your buildings are like or anything. It’s not important. Just make sure you follow the constants I list below. Don’t worry about military troops or anything like that for joining. I’ll discuss that in a section a little ways down.

Constants: Your land will always have a few aeromancers around to help you curb the effects of Salvar’s climate. Remember, these mages are not going to be able to transform your estate into a tropical paradise. They’re just there to curb the harsher elements of Salvar’s environment so that you can farm, mine, trade, and such. They’ll likely live in a secluded building or tower. Your land will also always have a church for Salvar’s state religion, the Church of the Ethereal Sway. The priests here will provide religious services, report on your actions to the King, and act as judges in crimes against the state. You may dispense with justice for other crimes as you see fit. It’s a good idea to consider the priests’ advice, unless you want to anger the Church. Also, it should be understand that all starter estates have only wooden buildings. Their defenses—towers and walls—must also be wooden. So you can basically have mounds of earth and wooden palisade walls and wooden towers and the like for your defenses.

Upgrades: These work a lot like the Realm of Greeting. Once you meet one of the requirements I listed in the second paragraph of this post, you just have to fill out this form and post it here. I’ll look it over, either get you to edit something or approve you, and subtract the appropriate amount of GP from your account. When upgrading, I’d prefer you keep it to a few minor changes or one major change. But still, you really have a lot of free reign here. I’m just going to make sure that you’re not power-gaming or making something that doesn’t quite mesh with the rest of Salvar. You’re only allowed to upgrade your estate ten times total, so I’ll be keeping track of this.

Land Upgrade Application
Character Name:
Salvar Reputation:
Estate Type:
Estate Name:
Your Title:
Estate Description:
Upgrade #:
Upgrade Description:

Income: Every three months, you may submit one thread to me that will allow you to receive a lump sum income from your land. Just a post to the link here and tell me that it’s the thread you want to use for your salary. This has to be a judged thread that involves your lands or you conducting official state business somehow. So feel free to visit someone else's estate and do a thread with them! Using threads like that is totally okay. You want it to be your highest scoring thread, because the higher you score, the more you get paid. The equation for your salary works like this: (thread score + estate level) * (100.) Your estate level is how many times you’ve upgraded. So an estate with one upgrade is level one, while an estate with five upgrades is level five. The pay periods will run from January 1 to March 31, April 1 to June 30, July 1 to September 30, and October 1 to December 31. The thread you submit for this may be a thread that you have also used to upgrade your estate or advance in another faction.

Alliances: Feel free to create and join alliances as you would like, as long as you remember that you’re above all legally obligated to remain loyal to the king. If you want have some sort of officially recognized, just PM me about it (who your members are, whether there is a leader or not, etc.) and I’ll add it to your census entries. When we get enough alliances, I’ll make a thread where you can advertise for them like PGs.

Wars of Honor: If you feel that another noble has somehow impugned your honor or committed and illegal act and you want to attack them, you may ask the king if you can purchase a war contract at the price of 1000 GP. If the king allows you to purchase the contract (which is required to conduct war legally) you may attack the estate or estates specified in the contract. You purchase these contracts by PMing me about who you want to attack, why you want to attack them, and who is going to help you. I’ll post the thread for the battle, list any allies that may be participating, and post the troop counts on all sides. My system for figuring troop counts is this: (1) You have 200 level one troops when you start and get 200 more every time you upgrade. (2) Ten percent of these level one troops may be level one mages with a total of two appropriate spells. (3) The number of “special” level five troops you have is equal to the number of times you upgraded—these should be giant trolls, siege engines, dragons, and stuff like that. (4) You may have enough horses for 20% of your level one troops. (5) I’ll get everyone to PM me descriptions of their mages and special units beforehand.

You win a war not by the IC outcome, but if the average score of all the people on your side is higher than the people on the other side. If you defeat someone, you will receive 20% of their salary from that point on, unless they counter-attack you and defeat you. Keep in mind that these contracts are not going to be handed out lightly! Your reputation in Salvar and the reputation of the person you're attacking are going to figure a great deal into your ability to get a war contract.

Beauty
08-31-06, 11:53 PM
Character Name: (NPC) Lord Alucius Carth (father of Lord Gregory Carth, owner of Slave)
Salvar Reputation: none
Estate Type: 4
Estate Name: Kanoth Springs
Your Title: Lord/Lady
Estate Description: Located about 100 miles north of Knife’s Edge. The main street is lined with the business buildings of such things as the Church, the inn, a tavern, seamstress, blacksmith, and other such businesses. Behind these on both sides one will find the homes of the common folk. The buildings are all wood, most are painted a plain white. The streets are all laid out neat and straight and are kept quite clean. Precise order seems to be a theme in this town. Down the exact middle of the main street is a long stretch of grass with 5 trees evenly spaced down its entire length. At the north end of the main street one will find a large mansion, home of the local Lord and Lady Alucius Carth. It has a wrought iron gate and a long, circular driveway that leads up to the main entryway. There are two garrisons, one to either side of the main street at the town's southern entrance. Farm fields lay outside the town, the farmers go out each day to tend their crops, but then return to the town as it is not a long journey to the fields in the first place. The fields are not very large, just a little over being large enough to support Kanoth Springs so that it does not have to rely solely on trade for its groceries. Kanoth Springs is generally a fur trading center.

Ashiakin
09-02-06, 04:29 PM
150 foot high walls are far too impressive for a level 0 estate. At this point, your walls should be between 10 and 30 feet high--the closer you are to the lower end of that range the better. Everything else seems fine.

Beauty
09-02-06, 05:44 PM
there.. editted it..there is no wall

Ashiakin
09-02-06, 05:48 PM
Approved.

To other players: Jasmine was approved when I was still operating off of an older framework of rules, so the process WILL be different for future applicants.

Workout Wonder
09-04-06, 12:49 PM
Character Name: Kedx Fieldeth
Salvar Reputation: 0
Estate Type: #4
Estate Name: Grace Manor.
Your Title: Holy Count
Estate Description: There is one important building on Grace Manor, and that is the Palace of the Holy Count. He, blessed by The Church of the Ethereal Sway, has allowed their church to be but an extension of his mansion. Under his benevolence, the church is protected from all that is deemed to be a corruptive influence upon their religion. The estate granary, treasury and all other important civic buildings are situated within the palace as well.

The Holy Count himself is a recluse, only appearing at meetings of the Church and nothing else. He occasionally surveys the lands around the estate and is currently seeking to expand outward. Thus, Grace Manor has no explicit barrier, as the Holy Count has declared that he will civilize the tribes around the area and bring them under the sway of both the Church and King.

As such, it is unsurprising that the Holy Count keeps a particularly strong army. There are four garrisons on Grace Manor, and the square they make represents the current border of Grace Manor. Each one of these is equipped with forty five troops, of which ten are cavalry. The Palace of the Holy Count also houses fifty soldiers of their own, all of which are ethnic Haidians that are possibly more loyal to the Holy Count than they are to their king. Mages and other speciality troops are also housed in a small garrison within the Palace, so that the Holy Count and his demons can keep an eye on them.

The economy of Grace Manor is primarily manufacturing. Since the Holy Count believes in self sufficiency, there is a little bit of farming, but most people involve themselves in the higher paying jobs such as working in weaponsmithing or garment making. Grace Manor imports all raw materials from other estates.

(Note: The demons are a bit extra, but I have earned them in a thread. Link ( http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?p=26856#post26856))

Ashiakin
09-04-06, 05:40 PM
Approved. Since you told me you wanted to pay the 500 GP on AIM, I'll make sure it's deducted.

Clown
09-10-06, 08:46 PM
Character Name:Clown
Salvar Reputation:0
Estate Type:#4
Estate Name:Vander Land
Your Title:Court Jester
Estate Description: It's not quite a city but too big to be a town, it manages to be entirely self-sufficient with a full variety of occupants; farmers, hunters, craftsmen, everything. The land is surrounded with a wall of good height for protection and manned by a sufficient amount of troops, not really expecting to fend off an army but there for show. The land is designed to be average, nothing truly outstanding, a mere test estate to show his capabilities.

Vander managed to get the rights to the town somehow but has given them to his assistant, Clown, making it essentially Clown's in all rights except name. This serves the dual purpose of proving he can manage an estate and rewarding Clown for when he really does come into control of Likholm.

(I will pay the 500 later, when I have it.)

Ashiakin
09-10-06, 08:56 PM
Approved. You have until 12-10-06 to pay the 500 GP or submit an appropriate thread.

Daven Logarthu
11-13-06, 09:34 PM
Character Name: Lord Daven Logarthu
Estate Type: #2
Estate Name: Logarthu Manor
Your Title: Lord
Estate Description: A small fishing village along the western coast of Salvar. Fairly small in size, there are currently only seven wooden buildings along the single dirt road. The mansion, a two story building at the end of the road, is a magnificent building, though only made of wood. It is also architecturally sound to survive the harsh conditions of Salvar.

The only other two story building is the inn and tavern at the far end away from the mansion. There is a father and son that run the inn, and the food is pretty decent. Across the road from the inn is a trading outpost that is often frequented by traders from Corone. The next four buildings are housing complexes that house the fisherman, aeromancers, and the traders. A small path wanders from between two buildings down to the coast where the last building lays, a small port house. A long dock stretches out from the coast and several ships are docked there.

The town is currently expanding, building new houses as there is currently an influx in residents. A wooden wall, about fifteen feet tall, surrounds the village, stretching out a good deal away from the village, simply for expansion. One unique feature about the village is that the lamps strewn throughout the village light themselves magically each and every night.

Ashiakin
11-14-06, 03:00 PM
Approved!

Zerith
12-04-06, 12:03 AM
Character Name: Zerith Dracosius
Estate Type: #3
Estate Name: Xer’doc
Your Title: Lord
Estate Description: A newly established mining operation set up in the southern mountains of Salvar. Although new, a small number of wooden buildings are already set up throughout the encampment. The largest of these is the two-story mansion, although wooden and not as lavishly decorated as most mansions are. It’s also a matter of time and work until it meets the standard. The mansion itself is built as far as possible from the entrance to the mine and the work site around it. Allowing the lord to look out from his windows and observe the operation while still enjoying the comfort of his mansion and lifestyle.

Though there are no other two-story buildings, Xer’doc still holds several single-story buildings. Three serve as housing for the various workers and miners as well as a tower that houses the aeromancers. Beside the tower stands the another building set aside for the Church of the Ethereal Sway. Surrounding the entire land is a wooden wall that reaches 10 feet high and on either side of the main entrance stands a wooden watchtower. Finally, the last building that stands closest to the mansion serves as housing for the guards.

The operation itself looks promising. Soon more building will have to be built to house any new workers that will help with the operation. Though there are stories that the lord originally decided to set up this operation to help the Grander’s Order. There are whispers that someday he hopes to turn Xer’doc into a sister fortress to Erebus.

(I will pay the 500 gold)

Chidori Draconid
12-21-06, 04:22 PM
Character Name: Chidori Draconid
Estate Type: Type # 3
Estate Name: Draconid Estate
Your Title: Patriarch Chidori Draconid
Estate Description:

The Draconid Estate is situated at the foot of Mt. Chartellis, where deposits of iron, nickel, and chromium have been discovered recently. The territory is surrounded by a thirty foot tall wooden wall, and the four corners of the territory are occupied by towering keeps operating at all hours. From a bird’s eye view it resembles a rhombus as the property widens to accommodate the farmland.

Once inside the walls the Draconid Estate is a small self sufficient property more or less separated into three horizontal sections. The first section is the agricultural section, which is naturally spacious and vast. The variety of food products that come from this section can sufficiently feed the estate, but the profit making staple here are the vineyards, which produces and sells the Chartellis brand of wine.

The center section consists of the residential and commercial areas. The homes and businesses of the estate were intentionally placed here for optimum convenience. A third of the members of this community work in the mines, and another third work in the farms, and this section lay equidistant from the both of them. The Patriarch’s home is situated here, a humble four bedroom home no larger than the others. The church aeromancer center and mercenary center among secondary/tertiary industrial locations are settled here.

The backmost section is in the higher altitudes of Mt. Chartellis, which is primarily occupied by mines extracting iron, chromium, and nickel. A large blacksmith headquarters is situated close by, which is charged with manufacturing stainless steel weapons and armor for the mercenary center. There are also caves where the Chartellis fortified wine is stored.

The economy of Draconid Estate is a fairly prosperous one. Secondary and tertiary industries such as smithies, garment making, and entertainment do little for the estate at large. The main profit makers are the services of the mercenary center and the sales of the Chartellis brand of wine. The Draconid Estate Mercenary Center is a private security contractor that trains, provides for, and legally represents dozens of mercenaries, while the Chartellis vineyards are growing in popularity.

(I'll pay later)

Koran
01-05-07, 01:33 PM
Land Deed Application
Character Name: Koran Vincent Seether
Salvar Reputation: Not Used Anymore.
Estate Type: Type #2 Northern Coast, perhaps towards the equator of the land.
Estate Name: Caraliania
Your Title: Lord of the Frozen Coast, Protector of the Blasted Hills, Savior of the Mannia*, Baron of the Land Koran Vincent Seether. Commonly referred to as Baron Koran or Lord Vincent.
Estate Description: Caralianiananian; City of the Frozen North as it is most commonly referred to as, is a busy port city that up until recently, hasn’t been granted the privilege of be called ‘ruled.’ The self-proclaimed Baron Koran Vincent Seether, a new face amongst the nobles of the Salvar, heard of its secluded existence through a string of rumors stretched all the way to the capital at Knifes Edge. Feeling a sudden impulse to seek out this city and possibly ‘own’ it, Koran approached the nearest deeds office and bought it right out. He never felt happier in his life. The condition of the city however, put a serious damper on his spirits.

Rumors proved true to their name, it was a busy city, and it was quite large, except for the fact that it was probably the largest dump and slum he had ever seen. The city sprawled across a six mile wide peninsula of land a good five miles north and south and at least eight or nine east and west. It’s harbor, which ringed the entire peninsula from half way on the north side to half way on the south side, was filled with long finger like piers and looked to be able to hold a small fleet of ships; but was only a third full. The great water breaks, which prevented the unpredictable waves of the sea from ravaging the harbor piers, were two miles out from the furthest pier and there also appeared to be natural shales beyond them. This explained why the harbor didn’t have many ships but didn’t explain why he couldn’t see a light house, anywhere. The buildings looked to of an ancient Greco-Romano design but instead of marble and gold and silver, it was plaster covered wood, pyrite and tin. It still looked grand, if you didn’t know what it really was, but all the same, it still looked drab. Many of the streets were unpaved but all were dry and hard pact, showing little effect after rains or heavy snows and each street was lined with an elevated board walk for pedestrian traffic. In the center of the city stood the lord palace and the Church of the Ethereal Sway and the streets for three blocks around each was paved with great square paving stones, the smallest at least five by five feet. The main road, which was the great entrance road, ran straight through the center of the city, ending in a massive turn around at the tip of the peninsula, and was lined with hundreds of shops, Inns and taverns. The smaller secondary roads that led off the main road were also lined with more shops, if lesser ones, ruddier taverns and Inns, various craftsmen shops and a few residences. Tertiary roads that ran from these secondary roads comprised mainly of residences and a small number of craftsmen shops.

The mouth of the peninsula, where traffic entered and exited the city through one central road, was guarded by a three mile long wall - as the peninsula was considerably narrower here - and stood fifteen feet high, with three foot higher addition to provide cover for the patrolling troops. It was of wood construction, mainly of thick oak timbers, and it was also six feet thick, filled to the top with tons of dirt, sand, rock and dried mud. It was then capped with a long walkway of plank wood. Along the three mile expanse there were seven central towers, each standing a good ten more feet above the top of the wall, as well as smaller observations towers that were just five foot additions to the already fifteen foot wall. The main gate was ten feet tall and could admit four merchant trains abreast going any which way and allowed for a great deal of traffic to be admitted. The heavy doors were made of the same oak as the wall and were reinforced by heavy iron gilding, cross bars and bracing. It took five men on each door to swing them shut and ten on each to open them. An ancient opening device of levers and pulleys was there as well, but had long since rusted shut in the unforgivable weather of northern Salvar.

Despite these misgivings of the cities condition Koran had a feeling that he had made an excellent choice, all he had to do was set things right and then start making his city some money.

His adopted symbol and flag is a golden hawk in flight clutching in its talons a wreath of laurel leaves and a small fish, on a field of blue with the words “Nex pro Inhonesto” written in gold gilding along its lower edge. It translates into “Death before Dishonor.”

* The Savior of the Mannia: The Mannia are a recent discovery fo the people of Caraliania, as they are a people who dwell in the waters of the harbor. Koran became the Savior of the Mannia after saving the Kings daughter from certain death at the hands of Mannia rebels against his crown. This will be explained in a quest which I will soon be writing.

I will pay the 500 gold up front, so you may deduct it. :P