PDA

View Full Version : Opinions requested on a PG idea.

Breaker
08-28-06, 08:44 PM
Hey, you crazy cats.

On what must have been the old forum, I used to have a Power Group called the Scara Brae Martial Art's group. It was basically a clan based around level 0 and 1 characters, with it's main focus on the teachings and learnings of martial arts. I'm still hunting around for the files I had on it, and will post all the info once I've found it. However, I'm looking for an opinion on it unbiased by details and such. So I'm going to ask people post answering the following questions, along with any other ideas/information they may have for my PG. Thanks for your time!

-Do you think a group focused on lower-level characters is a good idea?

-Do you like the idea of a clan based largely around Martial Arts?

-What details/specifics do you think would enhance such a PG?

-If you have a lower level character, would you consider joining?

-If you have a higher level character, would you want the group to expand its ranks to higher levels?

All opinions are welcome, short of anything that will get this thread closed for flaming. Other than that, go wild.

Daggertail
08-28-06, 09:40 PM
1: not really, though I think a PG that was based around higher levels helping the lower levels would be good.

2: yes martial arts rock and it's a good way that member who arn't combat oriented to expand.

3: A way to allow people who don't like big threads to still participate.

4: yes I would consider.

5: yup

Sighter Tnailog
08-29-06, 12:45 AM

Yes, I do. It provides a place where lower-leveled characters can get their feet wet and meet people.

No, especially for lower-leveled characters. A more choosy, upper-crust PG might be able to specialize, but I think lower levels should be encouraged to look at a broad variety of arts, both combat and non-combat. Lower levels are often just starting to hone their skills, and I'd rather see them find a home that lets them appreciate their diversity than a group that wants them to conform to a specific set of criteria.

Make some IC reasoning behind it! Why would the group have formed, and then had its members leave as they got better? Maybe the PG is something like a college, and members have to "graduate" once they get to a certain level.

Quite possibly, but only if the focus was broad enough to encompass all sorts of characters, not just martial-arts based characters.

-If you have a higher level character, would you want the group to expand its ranks to higher levels?

No. I think that characters should, as I said before, "graduate" from this group as they advance. At least by level 3, they should become "alumni" of the group, but they could no longer participate in Clan War, get perks of group membership, or the like.

Kai
08-29-06, 03:41 AM
- Do you think a group focused on lower-level characters is a good idea?

So … would that mean by like lvl 2 any member is free to leave?

Dude this is my characters cup o’ tea … but then again, look around Althanas … there aren’t to many fighters here … or do you plan on taking anyone in?

A Rival martial arts dojo that trains a more violent evil style? … that could possibly inspire people to have more fighter based characters?

Take a wild guess here buddy … take one hell of a wild guess

Can’t answer ya cos I have never had a higher lvl character

Lisean
08-29-06, 08:00 AM
"Do you think a group focused on lower-level characters is a good idea?"

Yes. It gives others that are new to the boards an opportunity to meet the not-so-new, and become acquainted. Perhaps, it would even give them a small community of friends around the boards to quest with.

"Do you like the idea of a clan based largely around Martial Arts?"

Absolutely. PGs that are specifically created for certain fields of expertise grasp the concept of dedicated groups of the same type of people to their profession (i.e. a cult of evil mages, a band of theives).

"What details/specifics do you think would enhance such a PG?"

Background, and depth, regarding the history of the PG. Does it have any rivals? What do they accept, and oppose? Is there a fabled being that existed in the beginning times of Althanas? And if so, would they be revered as a deity to the group? Things like that promote a demeanor for a character. It gives them they're laws for which they live by, essentially putting him or her into a life filled with duties and responsibilities.

"If you have a lower level character, would you consider joining?"

Most definitly, if I were a monk of sorts. A necromancer is a considerable "undercover" co-worker for the PG, seeing as how it specifies in the martial arts, but acquaintances and such need not the pre-requisites to join. (Besides, I'm undergoing initiation with the GO. Thanks, anyway.)

"If you have a higher level character, would you want the group to expand its ranks to higher levels?"

It'd have to depend on how well developed the PG has become since the player has joined it. Sometimes, things can get a little rusty, and if a higher level character is caught in that, he or she can always decide to betray their friends, revolt, and side with other PGs. Events like that inspire depth and storyline to the characters in the PG, and the deceiver. How would fellow followers of the open palm or closed fist react to one of their schools prized pupils turning their back on them? Would they make a stand for justice? Again, ranks can indeed prove useful, if you want your first players to stay in the PG. If not, it's really up to them.

Molotov
08-29-06, 09:12 AM

The problem is everyone in your clan is going to have to leave sooner or later. I think you should also have some way of grandfathering in people who join as level 0 but stay active in the clan. Perhaps give them roles as IC mentors or something.

Personally no. It should be popular and make a clan distinct though.

I think a PG needs strong and comitted leadership to survive. If it has that, then someone wouldn't have to worry.

No such character.

No.

Alberdyne_Cormyr
08-31-06, 04:57 PM

Ever since I first joined Althanas way back in the day with my first character Lexxum Vordic, I been rping with lower-level cats and noobs. I personally like the idea of grouping together a bunch of lower level folks. I think such a PC would work great, somebody suggested some sort of Alumni system in the PG to keep higher level characters in the PG interested. A ranking system should bear into mind these characteristics.

-Do you like the idea of a clan based largely around Martial Arts? I strongly suggest that you look at that Anime called Naruto. The ninja clans shown in that Anime have a strong societary based structured. I think that you don't have to limit yourself to Martial Arts but you can show aspects of Fuedal Japanese society in the PG as well.

-What details/specifics do you think would enhance such a PG? A detailed organization and ranking system is probably the most important facet of such a PG. Also somekind of advancement system.

-If you have a lower level character, would you consider joining? We've discussed this already Alex I would be thrilled to join.

-If you have a higher level character, would you want the group to expand its ranks to higher levels? I'm only using Alberdyne right now, Lorenor would never have fit such a PG.