PDA

View Full Version : A Hello To Arms (Guided Quest Recruitment and OOC)

Mordelain
07-25-13, 11:18 AM
Hello!

I am looking to commence a guided quest, set in Alerar, and require a small group of daring, disturbingly, and demonic dandies to accompany me.

In essence, the quest involves an arms deal between insurgents operating in Corone, and the Aleran government. The last lingering forces of the rebellion are seeking, to some untoward end, resources to assassinate key members of the Empire's dwindling power structure in Radasanth. You are tasked with interrupting the deal, bringing the participants to 'justice' (read this as 'their ends'), and keeping the Empire's future intact.

We will begin in Etheria Port, and make our way, via dubious means, into Ettermire. The arms deal is set to go down in the airship factories north of the Black Palace, four days from the start of our adventure.

I do not wish to be restrictive, but due to the intend rewards, the way this ship's run, and the nature of the material, I'd like to request a few conditions:

1. Writing quality should be capable of keeping up with the rest of the group, as should posting speed, and communication between members. We really need to work together, and you need to bring your characters into communion to overcome the notorious Black Sail Armada.

2. Entry is not by request, but by sample - write 500 words maximum, a prologue bringing your character into the group/onto the mission, and how they came to be in Etheria itself. Once 6 entries have been posted, it will be judged by a member of the features team, and then the three participants, perhaps 2, will be informed - then we begin!

Submissions:

1. Otto (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?25651-A-Hello-To-Arms-(Guided-Quest-Recruitment-and-OOC)&p=209977&viewfull=1#post209977).
2. Prophet (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?25651-A-Hello-To-Arms-(Guided-Quest-Recruitment-and-OOC)&p=209989&viewfull=1#post209989).
3. Aurelianus (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?25651-A-Hello-To-Arms-(Guided-Quest-Recruitment-and-OOC)&p=209996&viewfull=1#post209996).
4. Hysteria (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?25651-A-Hello-To-Arms-(Guided-Quest-Recruitment-and-OOC)&p=210078&viewfull=1#post210078).
5. Eli (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?25651-A-Hello-To-Arms-(Guided-Quest-Recruitment-and-OOC)&p=210140&viewfull=1#post210140).

Otto
07-25-13, 01:15 PM
"An orc?"

"Yes. He might actually be ideal."

"Explain."

Captain Reinhardt was aware that he'd been given little time to adjust his appearance before meeting with the general. The stoic pair who had collected the captain from his evening meal, and who now stood silent and attentive at the edge of the room's shadows, had made clear that delays would not be permitted. Now, though he stood straight and sure before his superior's desk, he was uncomfortably aware of the locks uncoiling messily around his head, and the sauce stain he'd left down his shirt in his haste. Nonetheless, he smoothed his salt-and-pepper hair back with one hand, before getting to the explanation.

"He's a skilled armourer for one, which can only help with this mission. And his merit as a soldier is outstanding. He's disciplined, precise, efficient, and dare I say, something of a juggernaut. The phrase 'brick shithouse' falls short. Pardon my Braen, sir."

The other fellow relaxed back in his seat, and gazed off to the side towards a gently crackling hearth. "We need much more than brute force for this one, captain."

"Indeed, sir. He's no stranger to wetwork. I picked him out personally for that scare we had with the Scarlet Brigade (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?25296-Dead-Night-(Open)), and he's taken up guard duty since then. His lieutenant informs me that he's made considerable progress as an investigator."

"Hmm."

"Apart from that, he shows dedication to the mission. You would have heard about that sabotaged training exercise at the Citadel some time ago? (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?25156-Gaolhouse-Rock-(closed)).

"So he's that orc? Interesting...". The general turned away from the fire, rubbing his eyes wearily. Then he looked up at Reinhardt. "He's trustworthy?"

The captain smiled faintly. "That was one of my first questions about him. He's a conscript, but never tried to desert. And I believe he was at Irinham."

"Irinham? (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?25189-The-March-on-Irinham-(open))"

"One of the villages 'liberated' of supplies when we marched our armies back to Radasanth. As I said, he gives the mission priority."

"Promising", the general conceded.

"It gets better. Apparently, he's even learnt a dialect of Aleraran orcish. He might even pass for a native." There was a brief lull, filled with the snap and crackle of fire. After a few seconds, Reinhardt ploughed on. "Sir. A question?"

"Go ahead."

"How did you come across Bastum's name?"

The general tapped his fingers lightly on the desk. "He was one of several candidates referred to us. It seems that someone has been keeping tabs on him."

Reinhardt frowned. "He's a good fit, but are there no experienced agents available?"

"There are, but Bastum came highly recommended. Now I see why." The general snorted, suddenly. "Still, an orc..."

"You're surprised", Reinhardt noted. The general nodded absentmindedly. "Well", the captain went on, "perhaps they will be, too."

Reinhardt's superior chuckled. "A boat will leave tomorrow morning at dawn", he said, and stood. The meeting was drawing to a close. "If he's selected, you can expect a message shortly. Farewell, captain."

Mordelain
07-25-13, 01:17 PM
Thank you for your submission, Otto.

I will hyper link all entries in the first post.

In the meantime, if anybody has any questions regarding his thread, rules, and plot snippets - please post here!

Aurelianus Drak'shal
07-26-13, 08:11 AM
Despite the chance of problems arising in RL, as already discussed Mord, I'm still willing to try for this thread.

I was just wondering if you could give me a little more information before I write my submission:

Mainly, who exactly we're working for in this enterprise. As long as I know who, I can easily come up with the why.

Prophet
07-26-13, 08:39 AM
Sorry for the post on Krausus, i thought i had it on the right account...

He is there. Only there, stuck in an eternal dull stasis until they reached the nation of Alerar. HE waited in his small tomb until the dawn broke. Waiting for the sun to rise.

“The land for one, waits for none, and speed around this world, the water still.”

He said this as he paced in the dimness of the tomb, The Sunwell providing life to him, his fire dancing in his hands. He stopped and looked out the hole in the side to the water which was starting to brim with light. He smiled.

“STORMFIRE, TO ME!”

He shouted this as he drew his staff, and put on his lenses, black ones to compliment the onyx braided into his hair. Xaxan snapped his fingers and vanished with a flash of flame and smoke, and left behind a small scent of fire and brimstone. He appeared at the port. On the dock, the ship behind him.

"There was a man looking to get a band together right? An older one?"

He asked this of the guard and he rambled on while lighting a cigarette. He inhaled a lungful of smoke and continued on his way, and in his wake many a man looked at him as he lashed out with his staff, striking one who was about to comment.

"Don't stare, you litt-"

The Prophet looked up as a man called out his name, saying he was missing a lesson in something. He had a look in his eyes like "Follow me, or get out" he looked at him for a few minutes. Then he walked away.

"Odd"

He mumbled as he continued his strides walking into a tall Orc on the way. He studied the man. He looked like a civilian, without any weapons, although Xaxan guessed he had a dagger somewhere. He was in a loose fitting garb of linen or cotton, with a rope serving as a belt. The only curious thing was an old iron blacksmith's hammer handing from the rope.

"Sorry sir." Xaxan intoned before the Orc greeted him with a sharp nod, and he walked off and left Xaxan hanging in the middle of the street. Gawking.

Mordelain
07-26-13, 11:52 AM
You will be operatives/mercenaries working for the Empire.

Your 'employer' is Viceroy Charleston, the Empire's principle 'public figurehead', save the Emperor, who acts as a sort of Sheriff of Nottingham figure.

That is not to say allegiances cannot change during the thread, or double-agents can't be present.

Aurelianus Drak'shal
07-26-13, 07:11 PM
Deep in the slums of Radasanth, far from any law-abiding or upstanding citizen, far from any legal establishment, a meeting was taking place.

Sitting in a long disused warehouse, the windows boarded up decades back, the doors rusted almost entirely off the hinges, was a gathering of seven men. Six of them sat scattered across the room, while the final figure leaned casually against a wall, blowing thin streams of bluish smoke into the lamp-lit air.

"And you're sure it's 'im?" the standing figure asked, running a black, forked tongue over his fangs.

"Yeah, we're sure boss. He's a little bigger than you described him, but definitely him." The speaker was perched on top of a cracked crate, keeping watch between the boards over the windows.

"And you were right on the money," said one of the others. "The Coronian boys have a deal set up with the Alerarans." He spat the last word as if it left a bad taste in his mouth.

Aurelius ran his serpentine eyes over the assembled bodies; the gathered men were the first to flock to the Anarchist banner here on Althanas, each a veteran malcontent hand-picked by the tiefling after his ride in the Citadel (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?25156-Gaolhouse-Rock-(closed)) a few weeks ago. The half-breed had started founding cells all over Corone as he travelled, all with the same goal - to infiltrate and destroy the factions and power-structure of Althanas.

This group had been born after the hell he'd raised, but sowing mayhem was not their only duty; no, these cutters were special. They had also been tasked with tracking and reporting in on Otto Bastum, Coronian soldier, and canny law-dog. Aurelius had fought the tusker at the height of the madness he'd caused, and had been reduced to hacking off his own hand to break the grip of the tenacious bastard's blood-stained fist around his wrist. That image has stayed in the half-demon's mind. He'd even named this cell after it..

The Red Right Hand.

They had contacted him a few days ago, with chant the Orc was involved in some dark dealings. And so, he had come.

"He's working for Viceroy Charleston, apparently. There's a boat leaving tonight, and he's on it," said one of the lads, drinking from a bottle of cheap bub.

Aurelius ran a hand over his jaw at this news, frowning slightly. He was wanted in Ettermire, by someone far worse than the law, but he had an agenda to follow and the tusker played a big hand in it.

"There's more, boss," the leader smirked. He was a lean cutter by the name of Shadra, cunning as a fox, meaner than a weasel. Aurelius had liked him straight away. He gestured for Shadra to continue.

"We have a contact in the Viceroy's staff." A creeping smile brightened up his face. "And we've had you hired on as a mercenary for the job."

As Aurelius departed, they could all see his fanged smile.

Mordelain
07-30-13, 01:08 PM
Entry will remain open until August 7th.

I'd like to reiterate that the rewards for the successful completion of this Guided Quest will be...

Lucrative...:cool:

Hysteria
07-31-13, 05:47 AM
Why only 2-3 peeps?

Clicking heels echoed down the corridor from two smartly dressed guards. The men turned a corner, then another as they descended deeper into the grimy tunnels of the makeshift jail. Either side of the men thick iron bar doors blocked cells filled with those who were brave, or stupid enough to cross the ruling power. More often than not it was indistinguishable which trait measured more.

The men slowed as they approached two similarly dressed men standing alert in front of one of the iron bar doors. The two men standing guard stiffened and saluted as they approached then resumed their alert stance.

“Is this her?” The guard wore a neat moustache and tuft of hair upon his chin as was common among the higher tiered guards. His brightly coloured sleeve showed him a Lieutenant.

“Yes Sir.” The other guard he had been walking with bore the beginnings of a moustache, indeed he had only been promoted recently and hadn't had enough time to grow his own respectable facial hair, “She was found sitting in Viceroy Charleston's study by one of the cleaners. I believe his words were; 'She what was laying across the desk like one of them fancy paintings with all them fancy jewels that the Viceroy keeps.'”

The Lieutenant looked at him with a slightly raised eyebrow.

“Was that an attempt at humor Sargent?”

“No Sir, just attempting to pass on the information as presented Sir.”

“Maybe she should speak for herself?” The words drifted from the iron bars as did the figure from which they emanated. The woman moved silently, the folds of cloths around her seemed to shift and move over themselves with every graceful movement. The figure stopped a few centimetres from the bars, letting the flickering light from the torches in the hall dance across her pale skin. The woman's pale blue eyes looked out from the slit of cloth that covered her face. Her cloths were loose, like the rouge she envisaged. A purposeful line of skin was bare across the top of her chest and another around her slim waist. The rest of her was hidden behind dark cloth hanging down in loose swathes.

“I believe you said something about volunteering for a job to the guards that arrested you?” The Lieutenant's eyes after some delay lifted to meet hers. “Can you tell me how you knew of such a... let us say... undertaking?”

The woman let out a small smile. Darkness lifted up and enveloped her and twisting threads moved through the bars. The dark tendrils gathered into a physical form as she disappeared from one side and manifested on the other.

“My dear Lieutenant!” Her voice cracked with glee at the shock of the four men. Three of which now pointed weapons at her, but she continued to address the only one that didn't without even a sideways glance. “It is my job to know such things! To offer my services to those that would do such things!”

Even with most of her face hidden it was clear she was smiling at the man. She lifted her arm up to push away a strand of hair that had fallen from out of her hood. Her hand, rather than the slender pale limb that one would expect was encased in black steel, cruel curled claws tipping each finger as it removed the offending hair.

“How di...” The Lieutenant broke off.

“She didn't have that when we put her in in Lieutenant! I swear!” One of the guards traced a cross over his chest, “She be a witch I am sure!”

The Lieutenant held up his hand to silence the man.

“Now are we going to waste more time?” The woman's eyes narrowed, “My allegiance is not cheap, but it is guaranteed.”

“Your name ma'am?”

“You may call me Talon.”

Also, Talen has assumed a female form, in case anyone was wondering >.>

Mordelain
07-31-13, 06:07 AM
Hi Hysteria.

Thanks for your entry.

I want to keep it small enough to be involved, and big enough to be active/productive/dynamic. If we have 7 or 8 people and one drops out, suddenly everyone else is left in the lurch. It's easier to bunny/write out one or two people and so on.

That, and I don't want to give out LOADS of awesome prizes ;)

Eli
08-01-13, 10:55 AM
“I hate Alenar.” grumbled Eli tugging idly on the steel manacles that bound him. “You know I could’ve run, but I didn’t! I let those guards take me to this rotten cell and waited here patient as you please and this is my reward? How is that justice?”

The dark elf outside Eli’s cell sighed having listened to this tirade since he made the chancellors offer. “There was an outstanding warrant for your arrest Mr. Butcher. You were found guilty in absentia. Your sentence has been commuted to community service in light of your particular talents.”

“Arrest warrant? What for?” demanded Eli.

“You dueled the emperor's daughter-in-law on the roof of the black palace!” the elf said, reading from the ancient decree.

“Yeah, you’re gonna have to be more specific.”

“You then proceeded to set the east wing of said palace on fire when you began to lose.”

“I lose a lot of duels...”

“Absconded with the emperors personal airship?”

Eli made a “give me more” motion.

“With him still inside!” the dark elf boggled.

“Oh that! Eli laughed recognition dawning, “That was a good wedding.”

The elf sighed again. “Look if you don’t want to do this there’s always our dragon problem.”

Eli shuddered. “Fine. Gimmie the stupid dossier. Am I at least in charge given my experience?”

“No”

“I hate Alenar.”

How's that? I tried to be swashbuckling cause it's fun.

Mordelain
08-06-13, 05:22 PM
Thank you for all the entries submitted thus far.

Recruitment will close G:MT Midday on the 7th of August.

I am very encouraged by all the entries thus far, and would like to take the opportunity to point out that adhering to the brief in an interesting and believable way goes a lot further her than correct spelling, grammar, and grasp of literary technique. So it's an open race still!

Mordelain
08-07-13, 08:53 AM
The participants for the Guided Quest 'A Hello To Arms' will be announced within 48 hours.

The thread will begin shortly after that, so watch this space for additional guidelines.

Mordelain
08-09-13, 07:32 AM
The successful entries are Otto and Hysteria!

Otto
08-09-13, 08:38 PM
Woo! I'm a little disappointed that Aur won't be joining us, though. There was some great potential there. Still, I'm looking forward to writing with you, Hysteria :)

So, what's the plan for now, Mord? I assume you will provide more information before we post?

Hysteria
08-10-13, 03:38 AM
Cry havoc and let loose the pugs of war!

Mordelain
08-10-13, 03:52 AM
I'll be revealing all and hoping to start early/mid-next week gentlemen.

I have a few surprises to plan first ;).

Otto
08-10-13, 04:04 AM
There's no way you can mention the phrase "pugs of war" and not have someone put it into google.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_m-AoDlox4ms/TAJvAkCOInI/AAAAAAAAL1o/wK_M4F_ZHFQ/s400/pugwar.jpg

Aurelianus Drak'shal
08-10-13, 04:13 AM
Alright, that.. is terrifying.

Mordelain
08-15-13, 12:38 PM
Anyone have objections to hammering out a few more rough posts to sail through the prologue, then stopping for a break to proof read, plot together, and make sure everything's watertight?

We can then move on piecemeal, save the thread getting too long before we've remember what commas are for ;)

Hysteria
09-26-13, 05:49 AM
Yooooo.

So... am I supposed to know who the tiefling is?

Side note, Talen's can't throw orbs (at least not ones that do anything, same goes for the dagger [you could make it a metal spike, she has lots of those she could summon]).

Mordelain
09-26-13, 05:50 AM
Sorry Hys, I'll edit forthwith. I wrote it in a lecture, in my feeble defence.

The tiefling is Aurelianus, our guest of dishonour ;)

Also known as FIRST BOSS FIGHT!

Aurelianus Drak'shal
09-26-13, 07:03 AM
hehehehehehe

Otto
09-26-13, 08:44 AM
Are you ready for the PAIN TRAIN?

CHOO CHOO MUTHA FUCKA

Mordelain
11-02-13, 10:05 AM
Aurelianus only kindly informed me Otto had editted yesterday, when I sent him a reminder it was his turn to post.

That puts the ball back in Hysteria's court - assuming all parties are interested in getting some bang for their buck now The Cell is finished?

Hysteria
11-04-13, 02:06 AM
"Hei!" *Salutes*

Should I be throwing attacks for Aur to respond to?

Mordelain
11-05-13, 12:14 PM
Yes. an he should now respond to it ;)

Aurelianus Drak'shal
11-05-13, 03:18 PM
Will be on it tonight, or tomorrow my good sirs.

Mordelain
11-05-13, 03:22 PM
Aur > Otto > Malachi to round off to our escape should do it folks!

Otto
02-05-14, 12:29 AM
Damnit, I just read this. I've been waiting on Malachi.

Is everyone still willing to work on this thread?

Aurelianus Drak'shal
02-05-14, 07:05 AM
Ayup!

Hysteria
02-06-14, 03:30 PM
*Salutes* hei!

Mordelain
02-08-14, 10:15 AM
Malachi was not impressed. Lately his plans had been going swimmingly. His business was profitable. His infamy virulent. His iron grip over the rebellion unbreakable. The moment he agreed to something nice, it all went tits up.

“Right you ‘orrible lot!” he roared abreast a wind from the south. It was almost as if he himself had conjured it.

Talen turned just in time. He saw the hellfire, swallowed his pride, and rolled…no, collapsed out of harm’s way. Wherever or not his maneavours would serve to save his skin, Malachi was not paying attention.

“Me?” Otto balked. He turned to the Drow, arms steadfast, and defence still raised in case Aurelianus tried anything (which he would).

“All of you,” lashed a black tongue. The power behind the words was palpable. It cracked against the bloodied stone, stayed sword hands, and abated anger. Even the tiefling, anarchic deity, had to pay attention.

“What?” the three recruits said in disheartened union. Shrugged shoulders and slack jaws, for a brief moment, held peace.

“Either we all get out of this alive, or some of us give up that life for a master’s whim.” Though here, Malachi was the master, even he had superiors that were happy to dispose of the pirate king for profit and power in circles none in Alerar could ever understand. “Savvy?”

Otto ‘got it’ immediately. He eased up to show willing, but not weakness. Talen stood upright, singed but alive, and nodded with a feminine swagger uncannily like a man’s gall. The tendrils of hellfire faded into darkness, nothing more than wisps of disappointment and failure.

Predictably, the tiefling was not convinced. He let his quills, and his wit quiver. He let…Junior shuffle at his feet, a non-chalant and statuesque detritus. The hired help, those that still lived, dropped their weapons and/or died/fainted/faked defeat. The upended crate, still filled with vomited stew, seemed almost inviting to Malachi.

“I. Said. Savvy?” he barked again.

Very VERY rough post to get things moving again.

Otto
02-08-14, 10:44 AM
I'm writing up a post as well. I think I can work it in before this, though, if I keep it short.

Hysteria
02-19-14, 01:05 AM
Should I be waiting for mord to post that in the thread...?

Mordelain
02-19-14, 02:00 AM
Why didn't anybody tell me I posted it here?? :mad:

Hysteria
02-19-14, 02:48 AM
http://img.pandawhale.com/82882-kristen-bell-laugh-cry-gif-big-YpO7.gif

Hehe.

Otto
02-19-14, 08:05 AM
I thought you were just giving us a heads up or something :(

If I'd know, I probably would have... actually, no, this is funnier. Never mind :P

Aurelianus Drak'shal
02-19-14, 10:25 PM
Am I up again?

Hysteria
02-21-14, 01:49 AM
I think we are still waiting for mord...?

Mordelain
02-21-14, 02:00 AM
Otto wanted to post.

Otto
02-21-14, 03:12 AM
I already have! :P

Hysteria
02-26-14, 05:10 AM
Appolgoes, I might need some direction with my post.

So Aur joins us, should I be moving us on somewhere? Do we need someone to explain something before we go on?