PDA

View Full Version : Under the Tree

Cahill
10-02-13, 06:48 PM
Poke, Poke, Poke. “He won’t be waking up anytime soon, lad,” called Helena, the wife from the doorway, blocking most of the light from the inside of the building. “Only thing that’ll wake a drunk man is cold water. Mind he won’t be too happy, because of it.” Eric stood, bent over to look at the passed out man, giving another prod to the flannel-clad ribs.

Earlier in the evening, the man, named Keith Silvanus, had made quite a spectacle out of himself. He was on the common room table after only a few mugs of ale, spilling drink around on tables, chairs and patrons alike as he waved his arms in wide arcs. He was busy telling of a place he had found in the woods whilst he was busy searching for a good tree to fell. Ruins as far as Eric could puzzle out. None of the folk in the room paid the burly man much attention though, saying that if he really did find such a place he would’ve brought something back worth a small fortune in gold.

Eric was less sceptical, knowing that the forest of Concordia was riddled with ruins and even the mythical village of Ruild. A rumour was enough for him and then it was only a bit of legwork. Looking at the man on the ground, leaning against a post, he wondered if he was even going to get a lead. Helena had briefly disappeared into the inn, returning with a filled, wooden bucket, holding it out to Eric, leaving as he took it.

Brief uncertainty flitted through his mind as he watched the heaving chest of a man twice his width and took a few more steps backwards. “One, two… Three!” He heaved the water towards Keith. The lumberjack shot up as soon as the coldness hit him. He flayed his arms, spewing obscenities. Eric was sure the whole of Underwood was awake by the time Keith finally settled down, yet the streets were still quiet and the wooden houses and workplaces dark, except for the inn, where piano tunes slowly drifted from, accompanied by a gleeman’s song.

“Better have a bloody good reason for nearly drowning me!” He spluttered after a few coughs.

Cahill
10-03-13, 04:25 PM
“Another drink a good reason?” Eric asked, flashing a smile to the scowling lumberjack. The man was quiet for a short moment, before extending his arm to be helped up. Inside things had since calmed down. The piano player had retired for the evening along with the majority of the patrons. The few people that remained sat near the fire where the gleeman stood playing a flute. Helena had in the meantime resumed her position behind the counter, cleaning a mug with her apron, and eyeing Eric as he entered with the dripping Keith behind him.

“Now what’s it you want?” The large man asked after taking a swig from his mug. The table they sat at was near a lit fireplace in the corner of room. A musty smell came from Keith as the heat of the fire started drying him. He had to admit he wasn’t impressed with the half breed for waking him in such a rude manner, but it was not often that one got a free drink or perhaps two he thought looking at the boy in across from him.

“Money, women and food!” Eric chuckled, “but isn’t that something all men want? From you specifically I’d like info on those ruins you’ve found.” He scooted his chair closer to the table. “That’s if you were just talking nonsense earlier.”

“Now look here, drenching me to the bone is bad enough, but now you’re calling me a liar as well?” He pointed at Eric as he slammed his mug down on the wooden surface of the table. “The place was real! Even if none of these pansies believe me,” he waved his pointing hand in an arc in the direction of the few remaining customers. None of them seemed to pay attention.

“Okay, Okay! Was just making sure,” the half-elf defended, pushing his own, still filled, stein towards the angered man. “You said something about a statue earlier.”

“Aye, large one at that. A seated man, least was once, I think. See, there was a tree growin’ from it. Was no small one mind. Weird thing was that it was a Spung tree, where all the other trees in the area were Spruces. Fairly good ones, but not good enough for me to fell. You see, Spung trees are totally on the other side of the forest, nowhere near the north west. The tree with its tendril roots are creepy enough if you know what I mean, but around the statue was a clearing and everywhere were markers. Like headstones! Got outta there as soon as I saw ‘em.”

By the time he finished talking the second mug was empty as well and he was staring intently at it, turning the mug slowly between his fingers. “Worst of all, was the feelin’ that something was watchin’ me as soon as I entered the place.”

“And you saw nothing valuable? Anything?” Eric felt a little disheartened. Large statues were hardly something that he could turn into a profit. He needed gold, or at least silver, perhaps even gems or artifacts.

Before he continued he motioned Helena to bring another round of ale and waited for Eric to pay once more. “Of course there’s somethin’ valuable! Wouldn’t be braggin’ about it otherwise, would I? See the statue was large like I said, and between the legs was a door! Half open it stood and shinin’. Must be something of value in there.”

“You have no proof though?”

“My word is proof enough, boy!” Another empty mug. “If you don’t believe me go join the rest of them twigs over there.”

Eric leaned back, tilting the chair onto its back legs and thinking whether the journey would be worth it after what he was told. In the end there wasn’t really a downside. Worst case is probably a waste of time or being chased by bears and bitten by insects.

“Care to show me the way then?” Front legs of the chair meeting the ground. “Perhaps we can share what we find and everyone around here will believe you.”

“No way. Once near there was enough.” He stood, draining the last mug that was intended for Eric. He pulled a piece of paper from his chest pocket, clothes now dry and placed it on the table. “Drew this as soon as I got back from the forest that day, can have it for all I care. After thinkin’ about it, that place isn’t worth my trouble.”

Eric sat slightly puzzled at the lumberjack’s sudden demeanor and watched him as he left the tavern.