PDA

View Full Version : I'm not sure "Reborn" is appropriate.

Roscar Palidyne
09-07-06, 06:42 PM
Racism Reborn (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plQpLPy1eao)

In Canada, too. Oh, you Canucks should be ashamed.

Living in the Southeastern region of the United States, racism has always been a big deal. I've been raised to treat every person I run into equally because color of skin just isn't a consideration. After Martin Luther King, Jr, Apartheid, and Gandhi, one tends to think that we've been able to see the evils of racism and overcome it, but clips like the one above really make me wonder if civil society has really evolved at all. What do you think of this clip? Are you surprised, confused, angry, saddened, or anything else? Throw out your thoughts.

Cyrus the virus
09-07-06, 07:47 PM
We Canucks should be ashamed because a bouncer at a bar is a stupid bigot? Fuck that.

He'll Scream
09-07-06, 08:03 PM
Canuck?

Molotov
09-07-06, 08:13 PM
We Canucks should be ashamed because a bouncer at a bar is a stupid bigot? Fuck that.

5 out of 6 bars in Calgary. And no, you should certainly take pride in something like that. It also seems like the establishments are the ones being biggoted, especially since the one guy had to check on the microphone before pulling the 25 and over crap.

Calgary bars, now with more biggots!

My personal reaction- more disappointed than surprised. Racism exists many places in both Canada and the US. I'm glad though that the Calgary TV station thought it was a big deal worth reporting on. Shows that not all Calgarians or Canadians are like those bar owners.

Vorin
09-07-06, 08:17 PM
Hey, now Canada has a lot worse things to be ashamed for. Like Celine Dion.

LordLeopold
09-07-06, 09:07 PM
Personally, I'm glad the Canadians are finally taking a stand.

Chiroptera
09-07-06, 09:22 PM
That title's kind of misleading. Doesn't something have to die before it can be reborn?

Singling out Calgary doesn't mean that that's the only place where that happens. I'm an American but I don't take it personally when other Americans are slammed for being racist, because I'm not and I don't have to identify with those who are.

Good piece, in my opinion. I would like to know how far apart these bars were, how much of Calgary those men actually covered. I find it hard to believe that the bars citywide are 5/6ths bigoted.

Caerah
09-07-06, 09:23 PM
People like these bouncers make me so ashamed to be Canadian. Then again, there's not many reasons to be ashamed to be Canadian anyway... Maybe this will knock us down a peg!

Roscar Palidyne
09-07-06, 11:16 PM
Oh, by the way, I wasn't really saying for any Canadian to be ashamed. I realize these kinds of events aren't just marketed in Calgary. There is no safe zone for those different than "the norm". My philosophy is that it isn't races or groups of people that commit these acts: it's singular people who either choose to for reasons beyond my own understanding, or are too ignorant to understand that people aren't made to be judged by skin color.

Wanna really be sad for the human race? Read some of the comments under the video. Some of those comments are absolutely blood-boiling.

Elrundir
09-08-06, 01:08 AM
Yeah, those comments are what really bothered me. I could hardly believe what I was reading.

Dissinger
09-08-06, 01:20 AM
I'd like to see what the follow up would be.

Other than that, I can't say much. It pretty much speaks for itself.

Ashiakin
09-08-06, 09:57 AM
That title's kind of misleading. Doesn't something have to die before it can be reborn?

Singling out Calgary doesn't mean that that's the only place where that happens. I'm an American but I don't take it personally when other Americans are slammed for being racist, because I'm not and I don't have to identify with those who are.

Good piece, in my opinion. I would like to know how far apart these bars were, how much of Calgary those men actually covered. I find it hard to believe that the bars citywide are 5/6ths bigoted.

Still, saying that they only went to the five racist bars in Calgary isn't a very good defense of the city's business policies. It still means that there are at least five racist bars there. I more think the point of the piece was to point out that racism is still prevalent in areas that many people associate with social progress (like Canada.) It never claimed that Calgary was the only city in the world with racist bars, just that it did have them.

Dissinger
09-08-06, 12:52 PM
It also made a point of saying that the bar owners even said they'd try and reform to prevent it. So the evidence to the contrary is appaling.