PDA

View Full Version : Starting a Journey

Good for Nothing Captain
11-09-13, 03:33 PM
So, I just finished a long solo for my character... He's essentially left the Salvaran civil war and is now aimless... I have no idea what to do now... I did a Vignette and entered the league thing, but I am still a newbie when it comes to this sight so I was hoping for some guidance from the veterans.

Silence Sei
11-09-13, 04:23 PM
What do you have in mind?

Good for Nothing Captain
11-09-13, 04:50 PM
well I guess I just don't know how best to explore the world of Althanas or how best to... do stuff? like I want a gun, but I know I need to be a higher level, so I don't really know how best to level... I just... I'm really confused in general... like what to next in general... I guess I'm just confused, are there things in Althanas to do that someone new can just jump into?

Silence Sei
11-09-13, 05:12 PM
Absolutely. There are usually people in the chat that are more than willing to start a thread with you. Power Groups are another good source for pooling people together for some quick quests/battling. If you look into some of them, the Ixian Knights, The Order of the Crimson Hand, Misery Business, Chronicle, or one of the many, many others, I'm sure you'll find a group of people your character would feel right at home having adventures with. Furthermore, a lot of these Power Groups give you an 'Initiation Quest/battle' right off the bat to start your recruitment. Otherwise you can ask around for people who can help you.

That being said, I'd be happy to start a quest/battle with you with either Sei or any number of my alternate accounts.

Good for Nothing Captain
11-09-13, 05:28 PM
Writing a quest with you sounds awesome! I don't really feel comfortable with battles yet cause I have no clue how to do one of those and my character isn't where I want him to be in terms of stats and abilities... How do you wanna do the whole quest thing?

Breaker
11-09-13, 05:52 PM
Just thought I'd point out that -certain- guns are fairly easy to get. Once your solo gets judged you'll probably have enough gold to buy a steel flintlock pistol at the Bazaar. Not as much fun as a revolver, but it would allow your character to get used to having a firearm. More advanced guns (like Cronen's colt anaconda) are extremely difficult to get, it took me a series of 3 quests in order to get mine fully functional, and that was around level 4-6. There's not much between you and a smooth-bore firearm though, other than accumulating some more GP.

Aurelianus Drak'shal
11-09-13, 05:59 PM
To be honest, I've never liked the fact things above flintlock technology are available. Doesn't matter what level, I think revolvers, semi-autos, and things of that ilk are grossly overpowered for a fantasy setting.

My two cents.

Good for Nothing Captain
11-09-13, 06:56 PM
Fair enough, but I guess getting me a flintlock sounds great! thanks for letting me know!

I guess my main issue is that when I write I have a tendency to try and come up with crazy and intricate stories, but I feel like those my have their place now and again, I don't how or where to write light stuff, or what would be appropriate as light stuff...

Breaker
11-09-13, 07:10 PM
My advice for "light stuff" is to go micro. Try writing a short solo (or joining a casual co-op) that takes place entirely in real time. No flashbacks or forwards, no jumping hours or days ahead... basically write about anything that you'd normally leave out of a crazy and intricate story. It's a neat way to get to know your character and the setting a bit better, and you might surprise yourself with what you come up with.

Aurelianus Drak'shal
11-09-13, 07:23 PM
I agree with Breaker. Simple stuff like a night out at a pub, or things along those lines - y'know, mundane stuff - that leave out the world-ending duels, the god-slaying pyrotechnics, etc. The more you explore your character through little things like this, the better you can empathise with them, and for me at least, it makes it easier to write them.

Pettigrew
11-09-13, 08:13 PM
Hello Captain.

I am also Mordelain. If you picture a domestic quest in your future, then Pettigrew is located in Scara Brae. He is a troupe leader, rogue, and all round good guy with a bit-of-a-past. He is open to the sorts of threads not involving gutting someone. Of course, if you do fancy gutting and hammering through murders, I can accommodate that, too.

From your début thread, I dare say you've a thing or two to teach me to say the least, so I wouldn't worry about 'being new'.

Lowell
11-09-13, 08:25 PM
So much activity on this thread. I'm a newbie but I want in (on anything really, anything)!

Good for Nothing Captain
11-09-13, 10:13 PM
Hello Captain.

I am also Mordelain. If you picture a domestic quest in your future, then Pettigrew is located in Scara Brae. He is a troupe leader, rogue, and all round good guy with a bit-of-a-past. He is open to the sorts of threads not involving gutting someone. Of course, if you do fancy gutting and hammering through murders, I can accommodate that, too.

From your début thread, I dare say you've a thing or two to teach me to say the least, so I wouldn't worry about 'being new'.

That sounds Awesome! I'm down!
I guess just PM me or something? to get started?

Good for Nothing Captain
11-09-13, 10:17 PM
So much activity on this thread. I'm a newbie but I want in (on anything really, anything)!

Lowell! join us in Scara Brae!

Pettigrew
11-10-13, 03:18 AM
Prepare to 'ave ya pocket picked guv'nor :o.

Pettigrew
11-10-13, 06:23 AM
And there you go (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?26313-Starting-a-Journey/page2). The fellow in the image is, indeed, the titular thief Gust.

Good for Nothing Captain
11-10-13, 10:16 AM
hahha, that reminds me of something i wanted to do but there were prostitute ninjas in that so. . . not sure it'll fit, especially in scara brae

Mordelain
11-10-13, 10:24 AM
I do have a geisha ninja, but she'd slap you silly if you called her a prostitute :cool:.

Good for Nothing Captain
11-10-13, 10:55 AM
fair enough, but i think that's something that my character would do anyway. . . I have no idea how to start any of these stories/threads. . .