PDA

View Full Version : School Shooting in Montreal

Arvis
09-13-06, 01:40 PM
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060913/montreal_shooting_060913/20060913?hub=TopStories

Holy jesus, im freaking shocked...

I went to that school for a year and a half 2 years ago, and my mom and sister work in the building thats across the street which had to be evacuated.

The school is also just down the street from where I work, which is where I am now...

Futsuriai
09-13-06, 03:04 PM
Yeah, I live downstream from that. It was a pretty weird thing to see cops and choppers on my way back from (a different) campus.

Freaky.

Cyrus the virus
09-13-06, 03:24 PM
Very bad. 4 killed and 16 wounded last time I saw.

I dont really know anyone at Dawson, but that doesnt really make me feel any better. This is the kind of stuff that isnt supposed to happen in Canada.

Arvis
09-13-06, 04:34 PM
Now it's 1 killed, the shooter, and 16 injurred, 6 in critical condition :S

AsukaStrikes
09-14-06, 07:00 AM
Hmm... Apparently, different news sources give different figures.

I heard there was 16 injured and two killed - one was the shooter and another was a civilian.

Master Raven went "FTW" right in the cafeteria when the news came on. He shocked me, too. He's usually not that jumpy.

Well, I guess seeing you guys post here means no Althanians were harmed during that event. Right?

Witchblade
09-14-06, 07:28 AM
I thought this was the kind of stuff that didn't happen in Canada.

Glad to hear you don't go to that school, Matt, I was just a little worried when I heard about it. -.-;

Do we know why the shooting happened? Was it some stupid emo kid with a gun who hated the world and wanted to follow behind Colombine or whatever? I never understood why people think shooting the other students will just make them feel so much better. Yeah I had an extremely crappy high school experience at times and I thought about killing a bunch of kids in my school. Usually just thinking about it, or writing it out made me feel better though, I'd never go through with it. What makes people do this?

Arvis
09-14-06, 12:10 PM
Ya, now it's 2 dead. The killer, shot by police, and an 18-20 year old female student, with a few more people in "very serious critical-condition".

And yes, he was a stupid fucking emo goth kid. He wasnt even a student at the school, and was 25 years old. He hated every one and everything. He had a blog at www.vampirefreaks.com, with like 50 pictures of him with knives and guns and crap with captions reading "Ready for action!".

He said in his blog that he wanted to die in like a rain of gunfire or some crap like that, and that he hated every one. His favorite video game was an internet game that simulates Columbine. Pretty fucking sick.

Luckily, there was already cops outside the school when they saw him walk in. Cops went in, shot him, handcuffed him, dragged him out the door onto the street, took the handcuffs off, and tried to keep him alive, but thankfully they did not succeed.

Ithermoss
09-14-06, 12:58 PM
I swear to God, vampirefreaks i such a stupid website.

Krugor
09-14-06, 01:07 PM
I owe you Americans my apologies. When I first heard about this school shooting on the news I was like, "Sure, here we go again, silly Americans". Then they said Montreal, and I was like, "WHAT!?"

So yeah, sorry guys, it was a bit presumptuous of me ;)

But I'm really shocked that this happened in Canada, I didn't expect that. Though it doesn't matter where it happens, this stuff always gets to me. It's a horrible, horrible thing to experience.

AsukaStrikes
09-14-06, 01:33 PM
Raven: I can say I sympathize with you guys really deeply, especially since death is almost an everyday occurence just on the opposite end of my country.

Humans are such fragile creatures, don't you think?

Witchblade
09-14-06, 05:45 PM
That just irks me!

The guy didn't even go to the school and he was some fucking 25 year old emo freak, what the fuck!? Not that it would make it better if he went to the school but if he wanted to go down in a blaze of gunfire join the fucking army and go fight in Afghanistan, chances are you'll get killed in friend fire before the afghans get you, but you'll still die in a shower of bullets! Who shoots defenceless kids?

What the fuck is wrong with people!?

Zerith
09-14-06, 06:17 PM
Yeah, the guy clearly had some issues.

What I do find interesting is that people will probably be pointing the figuring at the media again sometime soon. Blaming music, videogames and other things. There's already an article saying that the shooter was part of some website.

As for my two cents, I think the bastard's lucky he's dead. Otherwise I'd join with whoever else wanted to kick his ass. To hell with the "Romeo and Juliet" death. I'd bash his skull in.

It's people like him that make me wonder what the hell is wrong with society.

Dissinger
09-14-06, 06:36 PM
What the fuck is wrong with people!?

Some people just don't care about society.

It's people like him that make me wonder what the hell is wrong with society.

Some Societies just don't care about people.

I actually took a look at Vampire freaks, and I have to say that they are so full of it. I'll take an excerpt from their public review of the incident, and you can take from it what you will...

i offer my condolences to the victims and their families, it really is a tragic event. however we do not condone or influence this type of behavior in any way. just because someone goes around shooting people and happens to be a member of vampirefreaks, doesn't mean that this website has influenced him to do such a horrible thing. the goth scene is a very friendly, nurturing, non-violent community and we are very supportive of our users and do not condone any illegal activities. we have an excellent team of administrators who moderate the site, and a useful system which allows all users to report illegal and suspicious activity. thank you to all the users who continue to help us moderate the site.

Just because you have a system in place does not relinquish any responsibility to report, when someone posts repeated pictures of a guy with guns and comments that are suspicious. It is tantamount ot saying that because we were able to report that the students of Columbine were known for making videos involving weaponry and showing their expertise with them, we are alleviated of any guilt pertaining to it.

If it happens on your doorstep, and you ignore it until it kills someone, you are just as guilty for being aware of it as you are for gross neglegence. All it takes is a routine check every now and then to ctach something like that. And on a site with so many admins to check things out, it can very easily fall under your jurisdiction to find that crap.

Don't condone or influence this behavior my ass. When you give someone a place to freely put up pictures and allow him to talk about how he's "ready for action." You condone the action whether you'd like to or not. Saying nothing is a silent agreement with what was done.

Now, I may be opinionated, I may even be crazy, but I said my piece on the issue.

Have at it.

Witchblade
09-14-06, 06:43 PM
I agree with your piece on the issue.

They have a responsibility. I would certainly hope that if some member of Althanas made a thread and posted pictures of themselves with guns and shit saying they were 'ready for action' someone on the site would get a little worried and at least talk to them. When they open their doors to let people in and post their thoughts and pictures they have a duty to monotor things and make sure no one's putting up anything they shouldn't or saying anything that would make you worry. Maybe if someone had just reached out to the kid things might have been different but no one took the time or effort to care. It's just the internet, he's just joking, it doesn't mean anything. I'm sick of hearing that. Most of the time people talk the truth and say what's exactly on their mind on the internet because there's no face to face contact. You have a free ability to express yourself without the worry or care about what anyone else thinks.

I dunno, I just wonder if someone had opened their eyes and actually looked at what this kid was saying this might not have happened. But who cares, it's just the internet.

Wizo
09-14-06, 06:47 PM
You know I know a lot of cool goths but this is going to give there already misunderstood soceity a bad name. Though Vampirefreaks is a bit out there.

Dissinger
09-14-06, 06:48 PM
I got nothing agianst Goths, don't even begin to think that.

I DO have a problem with idiots trying to put the blame off themselves.

Wizo
09-14-06, 06:51 PM
Yeah, but my gut is telling me that all the new stations are going to do some sort of specials on Goths after this. You know the same crap they did with video games a while back. I mean if this was in the US I would not say this, but since this is in Canada. Well, the media is going to enjoy this one for a while.

Witchblade
09-14-06, 07:01 PM
We'll see. The media in Canada is weird. As I've noticed, the media in the US tends to be all apocalypse and doom and making things far worse than they really are. They seem to like to instill fear in the american population. Where as the Canadian media is just... I dunno, Canadian. >.> I don't know how to explain our media, we'll have to wait and see how they portray this.

Cyrus the virus
09-14-06, 07:18 PM
The Canadian media, really, is less about fear-mongering and more about trying to explain motivations and what people feel. It can be strange, but I prefer it to, well, American Media.

Also, this clearly happened because of video games. Clearly. He enjoyed Postal, after all. Video games killed that girl, and injured those people.

Jack Thompson, the hack, will say something about the event when he hears about the guy and the video games he played. I promise you.

Dissinger
09-15-06, 01:38 AM
Video Games killed my father and raped my mother!

PLEASE!

*rolls eyes*

Krugor
09-15-06, 03:47 AM
At least the Dutch media knows what it's talking about. We haven't had anyone blaming Games so far, we so rock. Also, we have one of the first clinics for people with a game addiction :)

Anyway, there will always be people claiming he did it because of this, or because of that. Blaming one thing after another. Personally, I don't think it does much good picking things like games, goths or whatever. He did it because he had a screw loose, and how that happened we may very well never know. All I know is that once again we lost human lives, which saddens me. The only thing I blame all this on is humanity itself. Aren't we all responsible, even in the slighest way, of shaping a person like this? Or at least creating a society able to spawn a person like this?

Arvis
09-15-06, 06:50 AM
Here's my question....

Your 25 year old son is in your basement posing for 50ish pictures with guns and knives, writing about drinking whiskey at 10 a.m, and writing about how he will have vengeance on the world, and you don't notice anything? Police say the parents were "very shocked".

Another note...all 3 guns he had on him, a 12 gauge shotgun, a hand gun, and a CX-4 Beretta Rifle, were all bought legally and registered in his name...

Cyrus the virus
09-15-06, 10:27 AM
Gun laws really don't need to exist for people who don't own businesses. Being able to buy guns and bullets at Wal-Mart is pretty... Unnerving.

AsukaStrikes
09-15-06, 10:52 AM
Hopefully, that's only in Canada. I can't even begin to comprehend how that would play out in America.

Lucien
09-15-06, 01:57 PM
It depends on State, Raven my dear. Here in Mass, getting a gun legally is harder than me getting laid. That is why I fear zombie attacks so much, we're screwed.

Now, how can Canada be so shocked? This isn't an american thing. I'd like to add this into evidence that no country is better than another, for we all have our douchebags and wastes of flesh.

Daggertail
09-15-06, 02:03 PM
It depends on State, Raven my dear. Here in Mass, getting a gun legally is harder than me getting laid. That is why I fear zombie attacks so much, we're screwed.

Now, how can Canada be so shocked? This isn't an american thing. I'd like to add this into evidence that no country is better than another, for we all have our douchebags and wastes of flesh.

yeah those are the words that needed to be said.

I find it is sorta sad that this person felt that way to do something so stupid and wrong. Well whatever there are evil people in the world and he would have done it whether he played video games, watched violent movies or read novels. It's a choice he made and he's the one to blame.

Cyrus the virus
09-15-06, 04:06 PM
You'd understand how we can be so shocked if you lived here, Cory. It's a lot more different than a lot of people seem to believe.

And hopefully nobody took my little video game rant seriously :p

Witchblade
09-15-06, 04:18 PM
I didn't take it seriously.

Even though a lot of people seem to think we're America's twin cousin, twice removed, we're not. It is shocking to see something like this happen in Canada. Yeah, I'm sure some of our teenagers can be just as screwed up as any other nations teenagers but you'd just never expect something like this to happen here.

Arvis
09-16-06, 06:06 AM
Well, I just found out last night that I know one of the victims who is in critical but stable condition.

He was in a coma, came out of it, and went back in. Got shot in the head...

Witchblade
09-16-06, 09:56 AM
I hope he makes it.

LordLeopold
09-16-06, 08:23 PM
Here in Mass, getting a gun legally is harder than me getting laid.

I'd like to point out that's a lie because it's actually possible to get guns in Massachusetts.

Breaker
09-16-06, 09:04 PM
First of all, I'd like to point out that I am a very patriotic Canadian. But it's true, this isn't an american thing. I remember (although I can't recall any details) another mass killing in Montreal, some years ago. I think the reason Canada might be "shocked" is that alot of people here seem to think it's next to impossible to get your hands on firearms, which it isn't.

I find it is sorta sad that this person felt that way to do something so stupid and wrong. Well whatever there are evil people in the world and he would have done it whether he played video games, watched violent movies or read novels. It's a choice he made and he's the one to blame.
I agree, except for your first sentence. It doesn't matter HOW you feel, an act alon the lines of this is the ultimate idiocy. It takes a special kind of selfishness and inhumanity to ruin the lives of so many people for no reason.

They have a responsibility. I would certainly hope that if some member of Althanas made a thread and posted pictures of themselves with guns and shit saying they were 'ready for action' someone on the site would get a little worried and at least talk to them. I could be remembering wrong, but I think I recall some mention of a kid talking about shit like that on here once a long time ago, and Matt DID in fact notify someone.

The more I learn about this, the angrier I get. My God...

Arvis
09-16-06, 09:13 PM
First of all, I'd like to point out that I am a very patriotic Canadian. But it's true, this isn't an american thing. I remember (although I can't recall any details) another mass killing in Montreal, some years ago. I think the reason Canada might be "shocked" is that alot of people here seem to think it's next to impossible to get your hands on firearms, which it isn't.

1989, in Montreal again. A man killed 14 women at the Ecole Polytechnique then killed himself, and he left behind a 3 page suicide letter about how feminists destroyed his life. Apparently he was rejected by the school.

Witchblade
09-16-06, 10:03 PM
Like I'd even remember or know of something like that, I was three at the time. Not to mention I haven't even started paying attention to the news and what goes on in our screwed up world until recently.

Really though, if there is such a thing as Heaven and Hell I hope this guy is frying right now.

Cyrus the virus
09-16-06, 10:59 PM
Mitch: Who was in the coma?

Arvis
09-17-06, 07:47 AM
His name is Leslie, he works at the poker lounge i've been going to the past few months.

Cyrus the virus
09-17-06, 01:42 PM
Jesus balls. Glad he's okay.