PDA

View Full Version : What is your perfect food?

Ther
09-14-06, 11:27 PM
If I may, I'd like to express my love for one of the world's most perfect foods: Hummus. For those of you who haven't heard of it (and there may be some), Hummus is a chickpea dip that was originally created in the Middle East a long time ago, and it's quite tasty.

But perhaps the chief reason I love it is because it's also a healthy food. A serving of it has only 2.5g (4%) of fat, none of which is is Saturated or a Trans fat. Also, Hummus is tangy without being incredibly salty - only 5% of the daily value per serving.

But this thread is not just for me to brag about what I like to eat, so I'd be curious to hear what are some of the foods that you guy eat that you not only enjoy the taste of but also eat knowing that it's a food that's healthy and won't do too much damage (if any) to your body.

Letho
09-15-06, 12:02 AM
Uhm... I don't usually eat healthy food. Coming from an extrememly carnivorous background (most of my family grew up in villages where they had farms and livestock and stuff) I respect and consume meat over any other food. My favorite dish is rather simple. You take as many different types of meat as possible (pork, veal, mutton, chicken, rabbit, duck, even wild animals if you can get a hold of them) and you chop it all up in a stew that slowly cooks on weak fire for several hours. There is some garlic in it, lost of pimento and pepper, several potatoes and... well, I don't know exactly what else because my uncle usually makes it. When it's done it's usually too fucking delicious and hot enough to burn the hair out of your nostrils. The rule is, if you're not sweating while eating this, it's not cooked well. :P Yes, I know I'll die young from a heart attack. Hopefully it would either be while eating this or having sex.

If I had to eat healthy food, I'd take fish. Any kind, especially if it's grilled.

AdventWings
09-15-06, 06:09 AM
The concept of the perfect food will, no doubt, be debated by any and every culinary enthusiasts, from the street-side ramen vendors to the high-and-mighty chef of the royal palace.

My perfect food, however, will require no dragging out the forum and beating the issue into submission.

>.> Zzz...

Zzz... <.<

Umm... Yeah. I'm rambling.

Anyways, there's one kind of food I can never say no to.

Mushroom Soup.

I'm not talking about the creamy mushroom soup served in Italian restaurants, though. Oh, no. I mean THE mushroom soup cooked and eaten in China and the rest of Asia for as long as culinary history could remember.

With some variation, of course. ;)

Well, mine is the clear soup kind with local wild mushroom, cooked over a medium fire in a simple steel pot, seasoned with onions, cloves of garlic, wedged ginger and chopped lemongrass on the face. Half a lime squeezed in, stir until the ginger scent goes to your nose... and voila!

Good for the heart and can treat the cold. I wouldn't recommend adding chili to this, mind you, unless you know what you're doing.

I don't quite know what kind of mushroom it's called in English, but it's the kind you can find in the woods after a brushfire. Dee~lish! ^_^

The Emerald Hind
09-15-06, 09:29 AM
Eh, coming from a Creole background, health food is not my forte as far as favorites go. However, gumbo is relatively healthy and it is absolutely delicious. *Mouth waters* I can't get enough of it. My favorite variety would have to be plain chicken gumbo, though.

Roscar Palidyne
09-15-06, 01:53 PM
When it comes to health, I try to get every single food group in that I can, every day. Since I've been at home, I don't get to do that as much, but back up at college I'd eat at least some sort of greens, a meat portion, some bread, fruit, and dairy, every single day. The secret is variety, folks!

A good Caesar salad can be quite divine, especially with the right dressing. Ok, that's probably not the best type of "health food" out there, but it makes me feel happy. OH, it's gotta have romaine lettuce though. God I hate iceburg. Blech.

Empyrean
09-15-06, 03:13 PM
I come from a Mediterranean background on both sides, so food is a very big thing in my family. Cooking is an art around here, so there are several things I could call the perfect food, but one thing reigns supreme:

Pasta. I love any kind of pasta, but my favorite pasta dishes are are from my dad's side, which is Italian. I love linguini with my grandma's pasta sauce recipe, or my dad's own pasta dish he whipped up a while ago. I think it's rigatoni, capers, tomatoes, asparagus, and his own alfredo sauce. Man, that stuff is good.

On my mom's side, there are some awesome Greek dishes, especially pastitsio, which is a very meaty, cheesy lasagna. And baklava. Ahhh, baklava.

I would probably die early if I ate this stuff all the time.

Elrundir
09-15-06, 04:30 PM
My perfect food is this breakfast pastry thing my grandma makes. I don't know how to spell it (but I can pronounce it!). It's some kind of German thing. It's basically just puffy, flaky dough, salted a lot. It sounds simple, but it's oh so good. And probably quite unhealthy, but damned if I care.

Ithermoss
09-15-06, 06:30 PM
Write what it sounds like. :) There are a few of us who speak german.

Is it Str&#252;del?

My perfect food would be Lamb. I consider it a much better choice than commercial beef, especially in light of growth hormones and whatnot. It's expensive, but grilled lamb is something I can't pass up. It can seriously lift my spirits.

Second would be crab. I'm from the outer banks, known quite well for its crab culture. I eat 'em steamed with Old Bay seasoning. Those of you who know what this stuff is, you are among the lucky few. Those of you who don't know what Old Bay seasoning is, I swear to god, it's delicious on anything. Get it.

Damion Shargath
09-15-06, 07:22 PM
Strudel ;)

I'll go with Peanut Sauce Chicken, Kaasnocken, or Mozarella&Tomatoes&Olives.

Letho
09-15-06, 07:34 PM
On my mom's side, there are some awesome Greek dishes, especially pastitsio, which is a very meaty, cheesy lasagna. And baklava. Ahhh, baklava.We have baklava here as well. We even call it exactly the same. I wonder if it's the same dish. Made out of like layers of pastry and grinded walnuts and damp with an extremely sweet sauce or something?

Also, I can't believe I forgot this. Goat meat. Put a goat on a spit and make it turn over a fire slowly and you you get the best meat EVER. :eek:

Empyrean
09-15-06, 07:56 PM
We have baklava here as well. We even call it exactly the same. I wonder if it's the same dish. Made out of like layers of pastry and grinded walnuts and damp with an extremely sweet sauce or something?

Yep, that's the one. Layers of filo dough and ground nuts. :D That stuff = heaven like whoa.

Also, I can't believe I forgot this. Goat meat. Put a goat on a spit and make it turn over a fire slowly and you you get the best meat EVER. :eek:

We used to make that in my grandparents' backyard. It was great.

Letho
09-15-06, 08:32 PM
Yep, that's the one. Layers of filo dough and ground nuts. :D That stuff = heaven like whoa.Hahaha! It's a bit too sweet for my taste. I usually eat one and then I feel like I had enough sugar to be up for three days in a row. :D

Ithermoss
09-15-06, 08:43 PM
Strudel ;)

Hey! Shut up!

AdventWings
09-16-06, 10:26 PM
...Nobody likes mushroom? :(

BTW, Goat meat slow-roast over an open fire sounds deelish. I've had something similar (roasted calf yearling) and that was yummy. :D

Futsuriai
09-17-06, 12:22 AM
Hurray for Baklava!

Though I'm a sucker for D&#246;ner Kebabs, whenever I go to Europe I go crazy and eat them at every chance I get. Some people say "oh, but they're just like Shawarmas" those people are wrong, and ill. Sadly I have yet to see any locale that sells them in America which is not remote or in a mystical place which only shows up when you can't go. Cyrus, if you know any place you must tell me or be destroyed. I sorely miss them...they're so...damned...good.

Damion Shargath
09-17-06, 12:25 AM
There's a huge Putrid and Rotten Meat scandal going on in Germany right now, especially concerning D&#246;ner Kebabs, nonetheless I ate one a couple days ago again - got a stomach ache - but oh it was good :p

Ithermoss
09-17-06, 02:53 AM
Oh God, Ben. I don't want to hear that.