PDA

View Full Version : Magic/Abilities - Wizard?

Toska
01-22-14, 06:30 PM
Hey guys, I just joined the other day and put my character up. In the initial stages of his creation, I thought of making him a classic Wizard, spellbook and all, but the guidelines for character creation seemed to discourage that type of versatile caster. From what I've seen, we're encouraged to have fewer abilities that we fully mature rather than having a wide arsenal.

Does that mean I can't have a mage who carries around a book of spells?

It's hard to work around the guidelines which say new characters can only have a max of three weak abilities for a spellbook. Would it be possible only start with one ability (titled, say, "Spellbook") with a list of sub-categories for spells known? The character could have knowledge of ten or so spells, but include an addendum that they can only cast a maximum of three or four per day, and the spells must be prepared ahead of time -- which would have to be included in the first post or whenever the character rests?

Silence Sei
01-22-14, 06:54 PM
Your character can have an infinite number of 'skills' or abilities that in no way effect how a battle can play out. Something silly like creating a pumpkin instantly from seeds would be considered a spell that could probably pass as a skill. Likewise, another good work-around is saying your character is just learning to read, and the spellbook is his only literary companion at the moment. As yur character develops, he learns to read more powerful spells.

Hope that helps.

Fox Owen Xavier
01-22-14, 07:55 PM
I have to agree that the current system seems a bit restricted in what you seem to want to make. If you would like to create a character like that, I would recommend talking with Hysteria or Max Dirks in a pm or something to see if there is anyway they can work with you to create a character like that. Also, there is Sei's ideas.

Edit: Seems like I was very short sighted and didn't know about many options that people like Dirks brought up. Probably best to ignore my attempt at answering and listen to people like Dirks who really know the ins/outs of the character approval system. If you have questions on characters, always best to talk with them since they are the ones in charge and know how it works.

Max Dirks
01-22-14, 10:44 PM
I think a lot of people don't realize the "school of magic" concept that we follow. For example, elemental control over fire is only one ability whether you can cast flick a lighter, shoot a fireball, make a firewall, or rain hellfire from above. Obviously the affect of the fire on others is limited, but that's the point of the RoG. So theoretically you could start a mage character with fire control, ice control and lightning control and that would only be three abilities. That should give you plenty of room to start a jack of all trades mage.

Zook Murnig
01-22-14, 11:38 PM
It's also worth noting that Caden Law (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?23323) managed to negotiate a veritable storm of sorcery out of the system. It just takes a little creativity (which is what magic is all about, after all), and some work. Also, you could look to my own character, though he's not a "wizard," per se. He still mostly fits the bill, and takes a generalist approach with an elemental bent.

Toska
01-23-14, 06:46 AM
All wonderful answers, thanks! :)

I didn't realize that we could put schools of magic as abilities; I thought they were individual.

For my mage, specifically, I wanted to delve into borrowed magic vs innate. The idea was for his power to come from copying innate casters and existing knowledge.

Max Dirks
01-23-14, 08:26 AM
Also perfectly viable, provided it begins somewhat limited. We've had characters who would repeat the last spell directed at them (albeit at a fixed power level) and we've had characters who literally eat other characters to absorb their powers permanently. You're not really limited in that regard. Go with what you want and we can come up with a fair progression for our system.

Prophet
01-23-14, 07:11 PM
Same as dirks idea, and if you can manage to tone down those three little areas of magic enough, you may be able to manage four or five abilites if you're really lucky, but i gotta say, your idea sounds awesome, and i suggest having a book not unlike the one in Witch and Wizard, which writes what you need, example- You have three sets of spells, each for a particular type

Physical- Stone Ward-Bryon creates a single wall of stone in front of him, capable of blocking one or two attacks from the opponent Electrify- Bryon electrifies the opponent's weapon, disarming them for 1-3 seconds. Spectral Blade- Bryon launches a single spectral dagger that inflicts a burst of stabbing damage

Ranged- Wind Gust- Bryon launches a gust of wind to deflect up to (2) arrows a battle Infuse/Defuse- Bryon heats or cools the bow/sling, making it incapable of firing for a few seconds, and possible inflicting minor damage to the user Bind-Bryon uses a chain of arcane energy to bind the victims arms to their sides, and burns them for some damage every second for 2 seconds

Spellcaster-Counter-spell-Bryon reflects the spell at an equal or lesser value Fire-flash-Bryon creates a mini firestorm around him, which he can draw upon to diffuse 1 spell Stone Blast-Bryon draws upon the earth to injure his opponent.

That's just an example, but it gives you that wizard's arsenal you want, without being too powerful, as he has one set of abilities per type, and only one could be used per type.