PDA

View Full Version : A new Tolkein book soon to come?!

Ithermoss
09-18-06, 04:19 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/books/09/18/books.newtolkien.ap/index.html?section=cnn_latest

Any thoughts on this? I'm excited, and I've never even read LotR.

Ebivoulya
09-18-06, 04:23 PM
Tolkien is excellent, but I hope to God his son has influenced the writing some. Tolkien can be quite the undertaking, but he's brilliant once you get down to his speed. The only thing I particularly remember about the LoTR trilogy was the annoyance I had at some of the long, overdrawn scenes, but as for writing ability he's definitely an accomplished author.

I too look forward to this, especially because his son edited it. I'm very intrigued to see how it reads.

Wizo
09-18-06, 09:12 PM
if it is easier to read then the book of lost tales, I am so in.

Daggertail
09-18-06, 09:15 PM
does this mean that middle earth will be like Dune with the son writing for his dead father?

Makira
09-18-06, 09:33 PM
Probably not... Christopher Tolkien merely edited the book, which was originally his father's, and probably wrote a little of his own stuff in there in order to be able to publish a fully written edition of this 'abandoned' work of his father.

Ithermoss
09-18-06, 09:40 PM
I hope it doesn't turn into what happened to the dune series. In the words of Penny Arcade's Tycho Brahe...

"THEY'RE FUCKING HIS CORPSE!!!"

Lucid
09-19-06, 12:06 AM
I just read this thread, then read that website...and yea, I'm going to have to say I'm a little more excited than I thought I'd be. Anyone ever read the Silmarillion? I literally have a stack of index cards somewhere that I made so I could keep track of all the names and places. (All of which seemed to have Human, Elven, and Dwarvish names...)

Letho
09-19-06, 12:11 AM
Silmarillion is in my opinion the crown of Tolkien's work. I'm not a huge fain of Tolkien, but I do like him despite the fact that reading the LOTR Trilogy was at places just plain boring. So yeah, I'm looking forward to this book as well, regardless of the fact that it was his son who finished it. From what I heard, Christopher Tolkien had his fingers in editing Silmarillion as well and that came out fucking beautiful.