PDA

View Full Version : A DM walks into a pub...

Otto
04-04-14, 05:38 AM
I was struck by the idea of doing a D&D-style adventure in the Silver Pub (but still set in Althanas, obviously), using player characters and having it moderated by an impartial DM. This DM would be responsible for coming up with a scenario, controlling NPCS, determining whether certain character actions are successful, and so on. These quests could easily be done in short blocks over a series of days or weeks (or months), like a normal D&D campaign, just saving progress as we go. And at the end, it would of course be submitted for judging.

I have just such a quest, one I had been moderating as a standard quest thread (The Puppeteer's Praxes (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?25630-The-Puppeteer-s-Praxes-(open))). However, writing it out like a normal quest was just too cumbersome, and it fell apart fairly quickly. I think doing this in the Silver Pub would be a much better way of managing multiple characters at once, and I'm keen to give it another go - I was quite pleased with the scenario I had drawn up, and have been disappointed it didn't get carried through to the end.

I admit it'll be a bit tricky to iron out the kinks, especially without such a rigid rule structure as you get in D&D. We'd have to sort it out as we go, but does this appeal to anyone?

Luned
04-04-14, 06:25 AM
That sounds interesting! I'd be willing to give it a shot, it'd be like the old days when I was a chat rper. The only hitch is my schedule is pretty limited due to shows right now.

Ashla
04-04-14, 07:01 AM
This sounds pretty cool!

Zook Murnig
04-04-14, 07:57 AM
Stop listening into my brainwaves, Otto! I've been planning an IRL freeform DnD campaign set in Althanas for my gaming group. I had wondered, too, if something like this would pop up now that the Silver Pub is officially open for business.

Otto
04-04-14, 08:18 AM
Whoops! Sorry :P

If you were hoping to get some Althies together for something like this, set in the SP, I'd be more than happy for you to run your quest first since there might not be enough interested parties for two at the same time. But we should compare experiences! It'll be good to know what works and what doesn't, and how to get around those issues.

Mordelain
04-04-14, 08:23 AM
It's be more fun roleplaying it as our actual IC characters playing DND in a pub. I'd love to play drunken Leopold rampaging through a dungeon as a semi naked female orc barbarian called Florence. Multi layer dialogue abound!

Otto
04-04-14, 08:34 AM
... why hasn't anyone thought of this until now?

Shotgun dwarf rogue.

Hysteria
04-04-14, 08:44 AM
If we are able to organise a time when I can jump in, that'd be great (if not "Go one without me!").

Talen calls the tiefling Katie the Unscrupulous.

Mordelain
04-04-14, 09:08 AM
Naturally, I'll be drunk at the time. Drunk writer, drunk IC character, drunk OOC comments, and drunk IC character character.

I think that's Inception Inception Inception Inception...right?

Fox Owen Xavier
04-04-14, 09:11 AM
This sounds fun. I would like to give it a try although I will admit I'm a bit busy and also never played D&D.

Philomel
04-04-14, 11:20 AM
ME ME ME!!!

*flaps* Please *cute face*

Otto
04-04-14, 07:11 PM
Well, sounds like there's a good bit of interest. Fox had the good idea of trying out a test run with a small campaign/scenario to begin with, just to see how well it works out, so I think we'll try that first. I'll see what I can come up with.

As for organising a time: I'm in Perth, Western Australia, which is GMT +8. Evening usually works best for me, and I'd be willing to do this up to about 11pm at night. Or else mornings would be a close second (depending on whether or not I have something on or not).

Otto
04-05-14, 07:06 AM
Alright, I would like to try out a short test run. I'll post the proposed system and scenario, then once I have 3-4 interested parties, we can work out a time to run this thing. It'll just be a quick quest, hopefully something we can complete in an hour or two - long enough to see how well it works, without putting too much time into it.

So, without further ado, I present:

The Belly of the Beast

You have been on the road for some days, now. Althanas has never been a particularly safe place, and in these especially troubled times, you have sought out company in which to brave the wilds between you and your destination. The journey was a peaceful one, without incident or hardship... until last night.

The storm clouds gathered on the horizon by the late afternoon. As the sun set, you could see the distant haze of rain - far, but rapidly closing the gap. Then the wind hit, a solid wall that threatened to lift you off your feet and carry you into the sky.

But it was once you saw the twisting column descend from the clouds that you knew you had to find shelter.

It was just your luck that you found some. A cave entrance, huddled between the densely-packed trees and set into the hills you had been traveling along. Your party quickly scrambled inside before the tornado struck, working your way deep into the long earthen tunnels. But you weren't entirely free of danger; once the storm struck the hillside, it ripped up the trees, roots and all, and the loose soil cascaded down. You rushed in deeper and deeper as the tunnel behind you collapsed in a maelstrom of rock, sand and dust.

Now you all find yourself huddled in the dark, deep below the earth, with just your own supplies and the few traveling essentials you brought with you. You can tell you have air, judging by the cold air which gently washes over you from the depths beyond, as well as a couple of lanterns with which to guide your steps. But the rest is up to you.

And so, the adventure begins...

Starting rules:

Turns. We will try a mix of free-roam and turn-based. In free roam, there is no posting order, and characters may do whatever actions they wish in any order, although they may need to wait for the DM's reply to see the results before acting again. Turn-based will be implemented in certain situations like combat, and a strict order will need to be established, wherein each character has the opportunity to undertake a few seconds' worth of activity.
Dice. While the RP will be largely free-form, there is an element of chance to most things. The DM can (an probably will) use dice to determine the success or failure of an action, adjusting the likelihoods according to the relevant conditional modifiers (bonuses derived from abilities, surprise attacks, use of environment, etc.). Dice have the advantage of being impartial, and thus make the dangers of taking risks all the more real (and danger = fun!).
The DM's word is final. Feel free to point something out if you feel that the DM has missed or misunderstood something, but the results of an action are ultimately up to them. Better to just accept your misfortune and carry on, rather than bog the game down with divisive argument.

I fully expect this short list to be expanded on and refined. If you have any suggestions now, I'd very much like to hear them. Otherwise, we can fix any issues we come across as we play this out. So, show of hands for who's interested?

Set time (so far): Sunday April 6, 9am onwards (up to 11am) GMT -4.

Participants:
Fox
Luned (?)
Tobias
Ioder

Luned
04-05-14, 08:20 AM
Sounds fun! I'd love to do this if timing works out. Since I'm in EST in the US (as well as some others here), I'm opposite your time, but fortunately mornings are pretty workable (evenings a bit less so lately, but I'd see what I could do). I'll be mostly around through Wednesday, then I'll be gone through the following Tuesday on some travels.

Otto
04-05-14, 08:30 AM
You mornings are my evenings, which should work pretty swell for me. And Wednesday also sounds good!

Luned
04-05-14, 08:54 AM
I meant any day up through Wednesday, could be anytime before then –– then I'll be a jerk and disappear for almost a week.

PS:

https://24.media.tumblr.com/76ede2a4993685d02cada3630732cb9b/tumblr_mvgrjmNR861qdlh1io1_400.gif

Otto
04-05-14, 09:11 AM
Mmm, working Monday and Tuesday nights. I could start 10:30ish on either day, if that's cool (pm here, so am there, I imagine). Or we could do it tomorrow pretty much any time, if a few others don't mind the extremely short notice.

PS: cuuuuuuuuute! (:< D

Hysteria
04-05-14, 07:13 PM
Sounds like fun, too late for me though. Enjoy :p

Ioder
04-05-14, 10:32 PM
Im in thanks Otto

Luned
04-15-14, 08:19 PM
Did you guys finish this while I was gone, or do we still have an epic dwarfy escape to wrap up?

Fox Owen Xavier
04-15-14, 08:39 PM
It was an awesome adventure so I'm definitely up for finishing this. I guess we just need to find a good time for everyone?

Otto
04-15-14, 08:41 PM
Epic dwarfy escape still pending. How about we have our (hopefully) final sesh this Friday night/Saturday morning (your time)?

Fox Owen Xavier
04-15-14, 08:57 PM
I'm available on Friday and Saturday, just let me know the time that works best.

Luned
04-15-14, 09:00 PM
Fist pump! Either of those works for me!

Dein
04-15-14, 09:30 PM
I work both those times. (Dein = Ioder) Um kill me off I guess lol or if we can wait till later Saturday like 5:30 EST

Otto
04-16-14, 12:25 AM
Sorry, I'll be a bit busy then (I have a busy Sunday ahead of me). We can still reschedule it if you prefer, though. Also need to hear back from Tobi yet.

Witchblade
04-16-14, 03:21 PM
I'm pretty busy this weekend, with it being Easter and all. Lots of friend and family hangouts. Sorry guys.

Otto
04-16-14, 08:31 PM
... and Witchy. How did I forget about Witchy? :O

No worries, Megan. We can reschedule it for another time, then :)

Witchblade
04-18-14, 08:47 AM
Well, Solar just cancelled hanging out with me, so short notice, but tonight has conveniently opened up.

...and I guess I'm just that forgettable. T-T

Ioder
04-18-14, 05:17 PM
Ill be getting off at 10pm EST tonight, ill be late but available if all still plan to continue.

Luned
04-18-14, 05:22 PM
I'll be around, either way!

Otto
04-18-14, 09:18 PM
Depends on whether Tobi and Witchy are available. I know Witchy in particular is keen to play, so I don't want to skip her.

Ioder
04-21-14, 12:22 PM
Ok so do we have a fate set yet?

Otto
04-21-14, 05:40 PM
I'll need to check my work roster before I know what's going on. Hopefully get back to you guys about that tonight.

Otto
04-22-14, 06:30 PM
Alright, so I should be free Saturday night from about 9pm onwards. How would everyone be for a 9-10am start (your time) that day?

Ioder
04-22-14, 06:32 PM
Saturday morning I should be around that's awesome

Luned
04-22-14, 06:33 PM
Can do.

Fox Owen Xavier
04-22-14, 07:27 PM
Sounds good to me.

Otto
04-24-14, 12:26 AM
Actually, I'd be happier if we could start even earlier. 6 or 7ish? Sorry to keep changing things, but stuff keeps cropping up.

Ignore this, please. An 8 o'clock start (morning your time, evening mine) may still be the best bet, at least until I know what's going on with my brother visiting, and whether he'll be home that time or out doing stuffs.

And ignore that, too. Forgot that Tobi had tae kwon do on in the morning. Saturday night it is, I guess. 6 o'clock a good start for you guys? I may to start and finish early, so that I can do mysterious uni things.

Ioder
04-24-14, 12:31 AM
Yes wake me up early on my only off day, but its cool I want to finish this man!

Otto
04-25-14, 08:40 PM
Going to have to call this of - looks like Witchy can't make it. Sorry, guys!

How do you folks feel about Sunday morning instead, with a 10:30 start?

Ioder
04-25-14, 10:58 PM
Im not going to be able to make it Sunday morning work and such.

Luned
04-26-14, 12:54 AM
Sunday morning works for me. Goodness, this last round is hard to schedule!

Otto
04-26-14, 05:10 AM
Grrr. How about we try and schedule it for next weekend, then? If you want to post your availabilities then (or, I dunno, maybe during the week as well), we could probably work something out.

Hysteria
04-26-14, 05:40 AM
http://doodle.com/en/

I've used that site to great success in scheduling stuff. Might be a challenge with time zones though... If I was on my computer I'd check it out before posting it.

Witchblade
04-26-14, 08:34 AM
During the week is best for me, as I am usually home. I tend to fill up my weekends with my friends and/or partying, or time with Torin.

Mondays and Fridays are my best available days. I do the podcast on Tuesday, but I can do it afterwards, depending on how long it takes us to record. Unfortunately, I can't give a firm time on this, as sometimes we go for an hour, sometimes two. Wednesday I go to my dad's for dinner, but I'm usually home my 9pm my time (GMT -4 hours). Thursday appears to have become date night with Torin and I will definitely be occupied then.

If it's my availability that's holding everyone back, I'll be super sad, but you guys can go on without me. After all, I was a last minute addition tot he group and I feel like every time you guys are available to do something, it's my fault we can't. I just tend to keep myself busy as I don't like being idle.

Luned
04-26-14, 09:46 AM
Let's see...

I've got a lull before the next comic shows where I'm mostly just working from home, so that's convenient for this. This upcoming week I'm mostly available except Thursday until evening. The weekend will be a bit full as friends have mostly claimed it, due to me being busy with shows for two full weekends after that (but I may be able to finagle some time for you guys anyway, plans are still up in the air). The week after that, looks like most of Tuesday is out at the very least, then I'm leaving Friday for Toronto.

Witchblade
04-26-14, 09:51 AM
TORONTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

O_O

*hyperventilates at the idea of meeting Lunie*

Ioder
05-03-14, 04:04 PM
Ok guys lets get a date for this now!