PDA

View Full Version : Learning how to Battle.

Ioder
04-22-14, 05:45 PM
Ok so I have been around for a wile now but I still don't fully understand the mechanics to the battling system on this site. Could any higher lvl character fight me and show me the ropes, preferably well know combatants that could give some much needed guidance and maybe construct some story as well.

Also the thing is I know everyone does things differently so I want to compete against a few of you guys to find a style that I can learn from. If anybody is interested please let me know.

Fox Owen Xavier
04-22-14, 07:36 PM
For me, I had a great battle with Lye who helped show me how it was done and gave a lot of good advice. I believe he is really busy lately but might want to try pming him to see if he has anytime. He was definitely a very good teacher in my opinion.

Ioder
04-22-14, 08:10 PM
The thing is, I have tried once or twice to get a hold of him but to no avail.

Hysteria
05-04-14, 11:02 PM
I'll be happy to take you through the basics. Let me know if you do and I'll post the first post of the thread, but leave you to make the intro.

Ioder
05-04-14, 11:13 PM
That's awesome! Yeah just start one and ill hop in.

Otto
05-05-14, 05:19 AM
First of all: do you have any judged threads on this profile, or any of your alts? One thing that might be worth doing is going back and giving those another read, so that the advice is fresh in your mind.

Second: be aware of your character's personality and limitations. What can they do, and what would they do? The two things might not even always be the same, but it's important to be true to both.

Third: write credibly! If your character is likely to take a hit, then have them take the hit. That said, you can get away with a bit of luck here and there, and you certainly don't want your character to go down too early in the fight.

Fourth: use your imagination. All too often, I've seen good writers hamstrung by the bland premise of their battle threads. You can do a lot more than throw two combatants in the ring and have them smack each other upside the face until one falls down. Really use the environment, and explore it. Find ways to tie this fight in to your character's life outside the Citadel (or wherever you do battle). Perhaps your character finds themselves taking an absolute whooping, and does something that few Althanians ever find themselves doing - run away! Talk to your opponent about your shared hobbies. Catch up with them for a drink after the match. What if the battle has certain rules and conditions, such as mounted combat, fists only, a battle of wits, etc.? These can be good for putting your character in extraordinary situations they would not normally find themselves in, and it capitalises on the potential of the Citadel (again, if that's where you're fighting).

Fifth: have fun, you guys!

Hysteria
05-05-14, 07:33 AM
http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?27379-The-Learning-Curve-%28Closed%29

Post up! shoot me a PM if you have any questions ;) I'll do OOC notes as we go.

Ioder
05-06-14, 07:27 PM
Post up.