PDA

View Full Version : On Crafting

Green Gwendolyn
04-28-14, 09:05 AM
Hello, Althanas! :)

Okay, so I was wondering: since my character is a crafter, what would be needed for....

1.) What is the suggested metal(s) for a smithing hammer and a wood axe?
2.) Where do I get raw iron/ steel (outside the bazaar!)?
3.) Would it cost anything to craft say, a small knife, from raw materials on a thread made just to craft that item? If so, bummer...

Thank you!
~ BlueGhost

Max Dirks
04-28-14, 09:11 AM
I'll handle 2 & 3.

2) Receive it as a spoil.
3) Presuming you own the raw materials, no.

Green Gwendolyn
04-28-14, 09:12 AM
Thank you! ^_^

Otto
04-28-14, 09:43 AM
You'll probably want hardened steel for a smithing hammer (at least, for the exterior) - the same as is used for anvils. It's important as, since it won't dent, you won't end up hammering said denting patterns into your workpiece.

That said, I've been getting away with a standard iron hammer for six levels now. Might be that having it possessed by a forge spirit has helped a little, though.

As for wood-chopping axes, I saw this Finnish beauty the other day: http://www.geek.com/news/physics-exploiting-axe-splits-wood-in-record-time-1591725/

Green Gwendolyn
04-28-14, 10:04 AM
Thank you, Otto!

Btw, do they give all of those out in the Trading Company?

Erikar
04-28-14, 12:23 PM
It appears Otto beat me to it! A strong steel, hardened to prevent any denting or deformation of the hammer's head would be the best material for a blacksmith's hammer. Same goes for a wood axe, although the hardening part is optional as you'd want to at least be able to slightly hone the edge(although wood axes shouldn't ever be razor sharp.) So, barring any Althanas metals and assuming you're going for realism, steel would be the best materials for these tools.

Green Gwendolyn
04-28-14, 12:39 PM
Thank you, Erikar!
Does the Trading Company give these out in the kits? If not I'll just buy them since with my skills there's barely any need to shop for weapons xD

Btw, can I change Gwen's hair color to blond without posting an entire sheet for it? I want her hair blond xD

Otto
04-29-14, 05:05 AM
I think the Trading Company would like to supply toolkits to members, but I don't believe there are any in stock. Sorry.

Erikar
04-29-14, 11:56 AM
Gwen, just wait until you level and change it. Makes things a lot easier for me. :P You could always just change it to Blonde in the little "About Me" section of your profile, I wouldn't care.