PDA

View Full Version : Allow me to Shower you With Tier Questions Galore.

Green Gwendolyn
05-29-14, 02:12 PM
Let the shower commence...

1.) How much would it cost for a good quality prospector's pickaxe (http://www.hellopro.fr/images/produit-2/4/7/7/pioche-oeil-rond-92774.jpg).
2.) How much would it cost for a one Arbalest (http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20101009212558/deadliestfiction/images/a/a0/Carved-crossbow.jpg)? Can you list a pricing for each tier type and the range?
3.) Where would I be able to quest for enchantable crystals (http://3drt.com/store/images/detailed/2/fantasy-arms-3d-axe-bow-sword-claw-shield-staff_22.jpg)? And how would I be able to carve it into an arrowhead?
4.) Where can I mine raw materials for an arrow (http://3drt.com/store/images/detailed/2/fantasy-arms-3d-axe-bow-sword-claw-shield-staff_22.jpg) I can attach the crystal-gem to?
5.) Can I have the pricing for two, (oak or yet, whichever is cheaper) quivers (https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR-1AtkCRxn8VXmqlrfu3yIf6UcQDA3yLxqmsKCV6HWf2GyFpxwMg ) which can take up to twelve arrow each?

Thank you! :D

Lye
05-30-14, 02:27 PM
1) Reinforced Steel Pickaxe: 75 GP
2) Heavy Arbalest - Ratchet (http://www.medievalwarfare.info/pics/arbalette.jpg) or Crannequin (http://www.thebeckoning.com/medieval/crossbow/xbow-diagram.gif) Style
Please note that woods selected are due to massive tension placed on the stock while cocked. Also note that an average person (sight wise) firing one of these with the basic stock (no aiming apparatus aside from line of sight) is only accurate with this weapon to a maximum of 125m on a man sized target. Precision shots (3" grouping) is obtainable at about 35m for a well trained shooter. Also, the higher the draw strength, the longer the load time and more tiring the reload process. It is advised NOT to keep the weapon cocked and loaded, because long periods of time may damage the components of the weapon.

Iron Limbs, Oak Stock 175 GP --- Max Effective Range: 185m --- 735 lbs draw
Steel Limbs, Oak Stock 250 GP --- Max Effective Range: 215m --- 825 lbs draw
Damascus Limbs, Ash Stock 475 GP --- Max Effective Range: 230m --- 960 lbs draw
Dehlar Limbs, Akashiman Redwood Stock 1,050 GP --- Max Effective Range: 265m --- 1,300 lbs draw
Delyn Limbs, Ash Stock 925 GP --- Max Effective Range: 255m --- 975 lbs draw (May Explode)
Titanium Limbs, Akashiman Redwood Stock 1,388 GP --- Max Effective Range: 300m --- 1,125 lbs draw
Mythril Limbs, Akashiman Redwood Stock 1,500 GP --- Maximum Effective Range 320m --- 1,125 lbs draw
Prevalida Limbs, Akashiman Redwood Stock 1,725 GP --- Maximum Effective Range 350m --- 1,255 lbs draw

3) Enchanted Crystals can be quested for anywhere. The most logical regions based on canon would be the desert ruins of Fallien, The deep mines of the Kachuk Mountains in Salvar/Alerar, perhaps in some of the ruined remains of Raiaera's blighted cities, and possibly in the ancient remains of the Faye in Dheathain. Crystals are a form of stone just like a diamond, ruby, or sapphire. They can be cut by a jeweler or using an abrasive wheel. The gem must then be polished on a polishing wheel if you want that shiny transparent look. You may be able to get away with chipping a crystal into an arrowhead with hammer and chisel, but it would be extremely difficult and require a precise, steady hand.

4) For "mining" raw materials for the shaft of the arrow, you could really use whatever you want. When crafting an arrow, there are three major things to consider: weight, strength, and diameter. Weight is also a factor of density. Ideally, you want the arrow as light as possible to fly as far as possible. However, if the arrow is too light, the force of impact at a long range would be the same as if I tossed a stick at you. Lighter arrows are also heavily affected by the wind. One small gust and the arrow could be as much as 30-50ft off target at maximum range. On the opposite end, heavier arrows will have a shorter range and more of an arc as it travels. These are less affected by wind and typically deliver more force on impact. Too heavy and you could strain your bow/string and the arrow will have an horrible drop over distance.

Strength is also important because you want the shaft to hold while the arrow delivers force. If the shaft is too thin, too flexible, or too brittle, the arrow will shatter or glance off. If the shaft is too thick or too rigid, your range and accuracy are hindered. Shafts need to have some degree of flexibility so the inertia of the arrow leaving the string absorbs any deflections that could ultimately send your arrow flying way off target. This is less of a factor with crossbow bolts but still something to consider.

For diameter, this mainly plays into the part about flexibility and weight but also brings to light penetration. A thinner arrow is more likely to pierce a target than a thicker arrow. Too thin and the arrow passes through a target. In hunting, this is sometimes less desirable since the wound is typically clean and allows the prey to flee for quite a long distance. A pain to track down. Too thick, and you would have a bludgeoning effect - limited to no penetration but one heck of a kick. Sometimes the kick alone is enough to knock a target out or put it into shock. The ideal arrow will penetrate while delivering considerable force and lodge itself in the target so that it can continue to tear and do damage as the target flees or struggles.

That was a little lengthy, but hopefully that helps you know a little about arrows. Since this is fantasy, much of that won't effect pricing, but it will help you understand a few more things. Besides, Arbalests and crossbows usually use short, thick, and heavy bolts to handle the acceleration of the string. Where as an arrow is more about aerodynamics in flight, a bolt is a little less about flight and more about hurling something ridiculously fast and strong. Aerodynamics are still important, but much less so as velocity and mass increase.

If you're still intrigued, there is plenty of reading and videos to look into. Archery is truly a fascinating art.

For Althanas, stick to shafts of oak, yew, or if you want the best of the best, Akashiman Redwood or one of the three in Liviol. Bolts can also be completely iron, steel, etc (more weight and density as discussed above).

5) An oak or yew quiver will be 25GP. If you're looking for durability, harder woods, hard leathers, and certain metals can be used too.

Tada! *breathes* that was a long one!

Alyssa Snow
07-10-14, 12:34 PM
Ashla, will you be moving forward with any purchases or may I close this thread?

Ashla
07-10-14, 07:06 PM
I will be questing for many of these items (and if I don't gain them cause my writings sucks, at least I'll have more GP by then)

You can close this until the day I ask for a reopen or post a new thread all together. Thank you so much for responding! :)

Alyssa Snow
07-23-14, 11:48 AM
Closing and archiving as requested.