PDA

View Full Version : Episode 021 - The Gardners Send Their Regards

BlackAndBlueEyes
07-08-14, 08:30 PM
The One True Podcast makes its grand return after a week away!

Episode 021 (or 022, if you follow the Darkest Timeline) - The Gardners Send Their Regards (http://www.althanas.com/world/podcasts/Episode021.mp3)

It's just a two-person show this week as and Megan and Andy settle back in to the swing of things. Andy makes a few important announcements regarding the future of Althanas Community Radio, and Mega hears out a harebrained scheme to get her (and Andy) more active on the website. Questions are answered, ponies are imitated, threads are read, and we also sound off on the multiple simultaneous events that are being held on the site.

All this and more on another exciting episode of Althanas Community Radio!

Flames of Hyperion
07-09-14, 04:44 AM
Swiss-style tournaments sound like a good idea. Brings back memories of the PTQ circuit, back in the day...

Why all the interest in scrapping regions? Boo, hiss.

Also, I was paying idle attention to the last portion of the podcast (great idea, by the way, read-out-loud workshops!) when suddenly you name-dropped me! Trust me, though, my writing is probably the furthest from perfect you can get: just ask Karuka or Christoph. Who are both amazing writers and editors, by the way.

What I do is put a lot of emphasis on the editing process - for example, I sat on my latest solo (Shadowdancer) for two months before even thinking about starting to post it. Obviously this doesn't work for everybody, or for every story. But if you have a tale into which you've invested the extra effort, it's well worth it. And in that case, reading out loud is a very useful technique indeed.

Max Dirks
07-09-14, 08:55 AM
Definitely like the name Achievements better. Xbox better not sue!

Hysteria
07-09-14, 09:48 AM
Why all the interest in scrapping regions? Boo, hiss.

I asked the same question twice >.> think of it as a test. Usuerpercast vs the one true cast.

I agree, the reading workshop is a good idea. You should do one of blueghost's threads next time. Maybe the one she has asked for feedback on...?

Abomination
07-09-14, 09:50 AM
Note for swiss tournaments: They would work very well on this site. In this style, for example, in round 2, the winners play the winners, the losers play the losers. People who are 1-1 play each other, people who are 2-1 play each other, people who are 0-1/0-2 play each other. Sometimes later on you have 2-1 playing 1-2, but in general this system works out. The 'best writers' are getting progressively harder opponents, while the newbies/people who lost by 1 point are getting sort of easier matches, so nobody is getting overwhelmed, everyone is participating, and there's still a skill factor.

Hysteria
07-09-14, 10:09 AM
Note for swiss tournaments: They would work very well on this site. In this style, for example, in round 2, the winners play the winners, the losers play the losers. People who are 1-1 play each other, people who are 2-1 play each other, people who are 0-1/0-2 play each other. Sometimes later on you have 2-1 playing 1-2, but in general this system works out. The 'best writers' are getting progressively harder opponents, while the newbies/people who lost by 1 point are getting sort of easier matches, so nobody is getting overwhelmed, everyone is participating, and there's still a skill factor.

I almost forgot about this too. I agree with Abom, I think they are a great idea. Getting knocked out of the clan war first round was a butt kick. It made it hard to pay much attention to everything else that went on. Let alone the bohemoth that is the magus.

Roht Mirage
07-09-14, 10:51 AM
Swiss-style tourneys sound good. (I'm going to call it swiss-style like everyone else just to fit in even though I've never heard that term before.) A real downside I've seen to elimination, especially regarding the war, is how much it messes with the story. Do you go for the ending that foreshadows material for next round, or work up some sort of clean closer for points in this round? How do other characters acknowledge the sudden absence of someone who might have been contributing a lot ICly? The meta threat of elimination steals so much from what should be a multi-thread epic.

Megan, bring Andy with you when you visit. We totally won't tie him down and force feed him delicacies born of love. Take our love, bitch! TAKE IT!

Witchblade
07-11-14, 03:50 PM
...I think Andy is now terrified to visit you guys. O_o

Aurelianus Drak'shal
07-12-14, 01:12 PM
I agree with Andy - Katy; huge knockers.

Also Megan, I agree with you too - Irish and Scottish are similar. I like the Irish.

Fez_The_Kid
08-07-14, 04:49 PM
I realize this is very late - but... How very funny of you to mock me!