PDA

View Full Version : Sands of Gold [Closed]

Remedy
08-12-14, 07:34 AM
Sands of Gold. The phrase carries a certain charm doesn't it? Perhaps it was the charm of semantics that drew me more than the legend. Perhaps I was a sucker for money. Who am I kidding? Of course I'm a sucker for money. It was that allure that brought me to the deserts of Fallien. A country drenched with sun; burnt and beautiful. Split in half by a river, it was the home of many an exotic and valuable treasure. I had personal links to the content as well. In fact the first legend I had heard of the Sands of Gold was around a camp fire when I was just 14. The teller was Ka'mar a native of Fallien that was travelling with his sister and her family when they found me. I won't get into the details now, but they were good to me, taught me everything that I know. The story had stayed with me since, every bit of evidence I drew from Ka'mar, and later from others familiar with the tale told me it was true.

Many years ago a group was on a pilgrimage from the Zaileya mountain range to Suravani’s Oasis before making their way to Irrakam, the capital. The group was caught in a sand storm and rather than stopping they decided to continue. Within in minutes the group was separated. None were heard of again except for a young man, Al'ad. The man and his camel, Yok, or in some versions Yoth'ok, sheltered together with Al'ad's cloak thrown across the two of them.

It was hours later before the storm finally died down. Al'ad pulled the cloak off himself and Yok and found an amazing sight. Everywhere around him covered in golden sand. The young man was shocked, and started to gather up the sand. More and more he piled into bags, throwing out all that he carried to make room for more and more gold. When he had filled up every bag he owned he piled them on Yok. The camel moaned, but Al'ad whipped him until he stood and the pair started off north towards the coast. A day's travel and the hardy Fallien camel collapsed. Al'ad took off some of the gold, but the beast would not stand.

Al'ad walked on by himself through the night carrying at first two then, one bag filled with the gold sand. The as the second day dawned and the man had no water or food he started to lose his mind. He felt as if he walked for days in the endless sun and sand. It was a group of nomads that finally found him. Led by his foot prints they tracked him down and found him slumped on the ground. It took three days before he could stand, but he begged the nomads to go back to find his camel and gold, but they informed him that he had been walking in circles. There was no 'back' to go. His tale would have been put down to nothing more than a sun burnt mind, but for his cloak. In the pocket the nomads had found it still containing a thimble of golden sand.

So that is why I was in Irrakam, the island within an island, a city sitting close to the heart of Fallien. The southern end of the island was designated the Outlanders Quarter. It didn't matter too much for me being contained in the southern point. Everything interesting happened there. I had arrived in Fallien several days ago and had been busy sourcing supplies for the journey. It was boring work, but necessary if I didn't want to die of dehydration half way into the desert. I was far to poor to die yet. I hadn’t been overtly telling people why I wanted to go into the desert, but I wasn't hiding it either. Sometimes the silent crow draws the attention and the last thing I needed was some do-good Fallien deciding I was up to something worth investigating. I knew that I wasn't the first person seeking the fable, but I hopped to be the first successful one. By telling people what I was doing I hopped that I would be left mostly to my own devices.

Day seven started like any other. In the morning I made my way through the bleached city streets and checked in with the supplies. The camels were nearly ready and I had hopped to finalise the last of the party. I had managed to join up with a group of merchants, heading out to Suravani’s Oasis. From there I planned to head towards the Zaileya mountains with just our small group. That was what today was for, meeting with those wanting to join the adventure.

I was sitting in the Tavern I had been staying in; The Oasis. It was a decent enough Inn. When you spend enough time camping on the road you come to see the charm in any dump. The one good thing was the thick stone that the building made of stayed cool in the day and warm in the night. The chair under me was a rough wood that had been dragged from the ocean and the table thick stone. I reclined slightly, letting my red hair hang back over the chair. I hadn't been bothered tying it back to a pony tail and as the midday heat rose I was already regretting my laziness. I ran my hands through it and held them clasp behind my head. For the moment I enjoyed the cool air on my neck.