PDA

View Full Version : Episode 25 - The Good, The Bad, And The Unread

Enigmatic Immortal
09-02-14, 08:30 PM
In this week's episode, we beg, whine, and cry for attention, discuss our characters a bit, and learn why we fell in Love with Althanas. We also talk about outlets to promote Althanas, as well as ideas to spark activity! No guest this week, but there should be one next week! Yay!

Althanas Community Radio Episode 25 - The Good, The Bad, And The Unread (https://soundcloud.com/masamunexxx-1/acr-25-the-good-the-bad-the-unread)

Karuka
09-02-14, 08:56 PM
Okay, Karu's first name is a Hindi name, a real Hindi name. It means "Art of Heaven." As pronounced by an Indian, the keh-ROO-ka that you guys do is probably correct. Karuka was not raised Hindi, however, so she doesn't pronounce it like that. The full name is pronounced "CARE-uh-ka EETH-nuh TEA-da O-SHEE-an."

Also, Karu's improv weapon is a mop.

And why haven't I been invited back to Althanas After Dark?

And re: ripoff characters... I think that Alydia Ettermire works on this site, and she makes no attempt to hide that she's Carmen Sandiego.

BlackAndBlueEyes
09-02-14, 08:58 PM
You want Cards Against Humanity online?

Allow me to do your show prep for you. (http://pyx.socialgamer.net/)

Gawd, it's like I never handed the show over to someone I thought capable of following in my footsteps... Hmph!

Rayse Valentino
09-02-14, 09:01 PM
You guys need to namedrop some characters other than your own. Marduk's question was perfect to splotlight some of your favorite characters and... you answered marvel characters and your own characters. I only listen to this for namedrops! Spotlight some stories! Spotlight some characters!

BlackAndBlueEyes
09-02-14, 10:39 PM
If you want critiques and comments, I'll give you an assessment and an assignment instead.

Rayse has a valid point, one that we've discussed to some extent already, Paul. It seems like the last few episodes with Cal and Jess on it have turned into the Ixian Knights Power Hour, where it's just a giant roundtable discussion about a handful of characters that, frankly, I bet some people around here are sick of hearing about. For the show to be entertaining and engaging, you need to be talking about a variety of other things other than the Orlouges, Jensen's infinite ties with them, and the IK.

It may not have felt like there's been much activity lately, but I know for a fact that Karuka, Rayse, Ailsa, Hys, Cyd, and even Pat have been hard at work writing threads. Jess said she hadn't been on in two weeks and was greeted with 72 new posts--a good chunk of those were creative, productive content. Content is content, kids. It's there. Looking through my own recent posts list, I count 17 threads that have been updated between the 24th and now, and those were ones that I didn't take a peek at. Don't skip over it just because it's not as much as we're used to seeing around here. You need to go out of your way to find content that the majority of your listeners are going to care about or be entertained by, rather than kicking back and playing it safe with, "Well, let me cut this promo on how badass my character is and how awesome and all-powerful the group he's a member of is."

Pick something recent and read it, no matter who wrote it, no matter the quality. With Karuka returning recently and writing up a storm, I'm certain there are some members lurking that listen to the podcast who aren't familiar with her and her writings from back in the day. Pick one of her new threads and give it a live read and a quick analysis on the show. Make it engaging for the listeners--they're learning about someone they don't hear about day in and day out.

Come up with bits. The bi-weekly "breaking Sei's balls" is adequate, but you need a few more regular features. Do thread readings. On-air workshops. Go way back in the JC forum and dust off an old thread nobody on the site currently has ever heard of before. Hell, poke fun at yourselves for mispronouncing Karuka's name and do another pronunciation game. I'm more than willing to help you brainstorm.

These are things you are kinda' doing with Phi, Aure, and Roht; and because of that, I personally find those episodes far more enjoyable. Paul--and Call and Jess--I want you to listen to a couple of ACR episodes and Pirate Radio episodes. Notice the drastic differences in the variety of content. With the Scotscast, it's more casual. You're joking around with your cohosts more. You're asking more questions and talking about things other than your own work (although, the spontaneous thread planning bit in last week's episode was pretty cool to listen to), and it makes for a more compelling listen. More of this, please, because the last couple ACR episodes have been a slog to listen to.

It's Althanas Community Radio. The show should reflect that.

Hysteria
09-03-14, 05:22 AM
I was looking forward to that segment of talking about characters, it's a shame that didn't happen. Also, Talen and Karuka destroyed a giant warehouse in a fight! Show us some love :p

Karuka
09-03-14, 05:39 AM
Here's an idea to kind of go with Andy's: when you line up a guest, pick one of their threads to spotlight. Let your co-hosts know who the guest will be and pick out something they're working on. Read it (or at least give it a good skim), give a detailed synopsis on the podcast (saying this because it would take too long to read a Karu thread out loud), maybe pick out some excerpts that you like and a couple that could use some work, give some feedback, and hear their perspective as an insider to the thread.

Also, if you review a Karuka thread, These Old Familiar Woods is adorable, but has been briefly looked at on this podcast and so is exempt from future ones. Do Heart of Ash or Dawn Through Darkness.