PDA

View Full Version : HieroBall: The next best Althanas based game!

Cards of Fate
12-25-14, 03:27 PM
So it was a merry Christmas and I found myself in possession of this odd as hell little mechanical ball that changes color when thrown but in a dope as shit way. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQaCv5_391Q) That being said I was tossing this thing in one hand while I browsed and suddenly the mother of all ideas hit me. HieroBall is an ancient Raiaeraian game rediscovered by Vincent after an archaeologist presents him with a bizarre seemingly mechanical ball. After tossing it up and down a few times he realizes that it changes color when tossed. A little more digging and he discovers an ancient arena for the game and the rules.

The Arena would consist of two large square segments with even amounts of players from two teams in each square. Once assigned a square you are not allowed to leave said square without being called out on a foul. At each end is a hoop with a color responding to one of the colors of the ball, the goal is to get the ball through the hoop when it's color is matching the hoop. If done correctly the team with that color will receive a point. If the ball is the wrong color and goes through the hoop, the team that "owns" that hoop looses a point. The game ends at ten points. The hoops are mounted about 15 feet off the ground and are about the size of basketball nets but mounted vertically (The ball has to enter the hoop in a horizontal motion). The square segments are surrounded by a high wall made out of a green jade like material that will change the ball's color on contact and send it flying (like a racquetball).

Inside the squares the players are allowed to move freely, full body contact is allowed in order to make a play for the ball, but not when the ball is out of play. For example if two players are making a play to catch the ball one can punch the other ect to try and get it. However if the ball is nowhere near the players they are not allowed to touch.

This is a bit of a work in progress on the rules, but I would love to get a thread with the first game going by the end of January and in general have a fun time possibly playing multiple games of this.

Hysteria
12-25-14, 04:30 PM
The things I'd take into account to make this a suitable rp game as well as IC relate to complexity and number of players. If you have one ball and two teams of four, then you would need to get other things for them to do (protecting against traps?). If it was 2v2 or 1v1 it's much easier.

The other part of an rp is that distance doesn't make too much difference unless it is really far or really close. Likewise, different hoops wouldn't make that much difference unless they were far away from each other.

Some mechanics like the changing colour ball could be linked to post number, so two full posts it's one colour, then it changes.

The other thing is magic, it would be good to have guidelines for what is allowed and what isn't. For example, no magic that controls the ball, it can redirect it. Direct elemental magic, magic that boosts characters and direct attacks against opponents are allowed.

I have to say, I love the idea of getting some sporting leagues going. (Maybe because I have just watched legend of Korra and their pro-bending)

Cards of Fate
12-25-14, 08:35 PM
I think the post count is an interesting idea and your rules on magic also make sense, the problem is I don't really know the rules that guide RoG in regards to actual strength so it's hard for me to comprehend what exactly high level characters would be able to dish out. Understandably magic is up to the beholder, and I think I'm going to edit in a rule where the ball is enchanted to protect itself from any form of magic to account for that. As for physical strength I have no idea how much a high level character like Sei or Duffy could smack this poor ball around so setting a distance would be interesting.

Also the game would have to be at least 2v2 because a 1v1 wouldn't really get to the point of the game.

Hysteria
12-26-14, 12:58 AM
Well 1v1 could be interesting, two characters facing off trying to score goals while dodging each others magic attacks and staying within their area.

I wouldn't be too worried about high level characters in general, just the ones that have things like telekinesis that could control the ball. In terms of speed and strength meaning a character could block every shot and shoot from really far, that is where you'd have to have the judge. If a player doesn't put enough effort or powergames then the judge (referee) steps in and makes them miss the block or some such. Perhaps they powergame a shot going through and the ref calls a foul for leaving their area.

The only abilities I'd be wary of are telekinesis, element-kinesis (where someone can wrap the ball in their element and then control it), flying, teleporting, and perhaps illusions.

You could have your arena something like this with various rules for who is allowed where.

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/359/3/8/court_by_harlequinhues-d8b9vll.png