PDA

View Full Version : AP Pilot Program

Max Dirks
01-13-15, 12:25 PM
Hey folks, I'm looking for some volunteers to do a test run of the AP system that the staff is considering implimenting on the site. For those curious, in the latest Podcast I was involved in, I detailed a proposed plan to have a supplemental point system to reward Althanians for their participation on the site. The way the system will work is that you'll gain AP for performing certain actions on the site like contributing to the wiki or replying to a workshop and you'll be able to spend those points on particular types of judgments, forum perks, and badges. The net effect, I hope, is that Althanas will be an even more lively and involved writing site if it is implimented. It is a big change though, which is why it's being tested first.

Here is the proposed AP breakdown:

Action : Points

Striked items are not yet available.

Complete a full workshop judgment: 2AP (complete a workshop using the full Althanas rubric)
Complete a condensed workshop judgment: 1 AP (this would be like reading a portion of the thread, or focusing on a single category)
Complete an Althanas Book Report: 2 AP (read an entire thread, PM a summary to a moderator, receive EXP)
Create or participate in an important Althanas discussion: 1 AP (create or add your thoughts on an Althanas discussion thread - awarded by moderators only)
Participate in an Althanas event or CM quest: Variable AP (as long as you're not DQed)
Podcast participant: 1 AP (official ones that discuss Althanas only, so no Althanas After Dark, etc.)
Submit and have a Tier 1 content entry approved: 5 AP (more info on this soon)
Submit and have a Tier 2 content entry approved: 10 AP (more info on this soon)
Submit and have a Tier 3 content entry approved: 15 AP (more info on this soon)
Mentor/Mentee thread completion: 5 AP (more info on this soon)

As you can see, a wide variety of actions on the site will earn you AP, which can be used to "purchase" the following:

Action - Cost

No Judgment - 0 AP
Competitive RP Rubric Judgment (Condensed in regular RP or Full in Events) - 0 AP
Workshop Submission - 2 AP
Condensed Rubric Judgment (Non-competitive RP) - 3 AP
Full Rubric Judgment (No commentary) - 4 AP
Full Rubric Judgment (Full commentary) - 5 AP

Some folks will probably have an abundance of AP, so we also have the following exchange rates:

1 AP = 50 EXP
1 AP = 100 GP

AP can also be used to purchase badges you might otherwise be missing for 10 AP per badge.

In addition to adding an extra layer of incentive for participation on Althanas, this new system should also theortically put less stress on judges. With more work being completed by the players, we should be able to get your judgments in a more efficient manner. In other words, no more waiting 3 months for a write up on a 20 page quest! Basically, I'm looking for all types of volunteers to participate in this pilot. I want super active folks, lurkers, new members, old members, moderators, etc. The more people we have participate, the easier it will be to gauge whether this is good or bad idea for Althanas. I want to be able to see whether inactive people are unfairly marginalized. I want to see if it discourages new members. I want to see if it actually increases Althanas-based activity. So many unknowns.

Here's how it works for our volunteers:

Everyone starts out with 5 AP that can be used accordingly Moderators will keep a public ledger here (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?28608-AP-Pilot-Ledger-and-Claims&p=242312#post242312) When submitting a thread for judgment, you'll see a new option on the form that asks "Are you participating in the AP Pilot Program?" Please select yes here so the moderators know how to handle your thread. If you've earned an AP, please claim it in the ledger thread (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?28608-AP-Pilot-Ledger-and-Claims&p=242312#post242312) so we can add it accordingly
That's it. Pretty easy, right? Of course, I wouldn't ask for your help without some kind of bonus. Those who participate in the pilot program will receive a unique Ice Apple badge. They'll also receive a 1.25x EXP modifier to each thread completed (battles will also receive a boost, but it won't quite as high).

Here's what the badge looks like: http://www.althanas.com/world/images/badges/Ice%20Apple.png

Please volunteer here and we'll get you started.

Elthas_Belthasar
01-13-15, 01:42 PM
Why the hell not, I hereby throw my name in the mix.

Philomel
01-13-15, 02:27 PM
Dirks, you already know I am behind you on this.

Head Judge Philomel salutes you and is ready to help out in every way possible!

black shadow
01-13-15, 02:43 PM
You did say mods can join too! :) I'll throw my name in!

Jack Frost
01-13-15, 02:51 PM
I don't think requiring AP for judgments is a good idea...posibly just like a full judgment requiring it. Otherwise people would have to jump through more hoops to get things done. The site as a whole is focused around writing and improving your writing (or at least in my head it is) and I don't think we should be putting that sort of roadblock in the way. I do like the idea of AP and how it makes us work as a community.

Max Dirks
01-13-15, 02:55 PM
This isn't the place to discuss the merit of the system, Jack. You can make a thread in Your Word for that. This is for volunteers only.

matthewkuch
01-13-15, 03:42 PM
I will assist in this pilot program, as it is recommended by Dirks. I trust him with the system because he knows what he is doing.

Tobias Stalt
01-13-15, 04:15 PM
I volunteer because why the hell not.

Fox Owen Xavier
01-13-15, 05:00 PM
Looks like a well thought out idea, I'm willing to give it a try.

Just one question, is the AP to gold ratio 1:100 and not 1:25? I thought gold was supposed to be a bit harder to get than exp but I could be wrong.

hoytti
01-13-15, 07:52 PM
I would like to volentere for this program. As I can't do much at the moment this should help determin if it will harm peopĀ£e such as my self.

Rayleigh
01-14-15, 07:47 PM
I'd love to volunteer for this.

Ashla
01-14-15, 09:03 PM
I volunteer as tribute! I like 75% of this, might as well try it out. :cool:

Ranger
03-06-15, 06:02 PM
Assuming this is still going, I'll take part.

Max Dirks
03-07-15, 08:55 AM
It's definitely still active, but people haven't been self monitoring themselves like I asked. Would you like to be my formal guinea pig?

Ranger
03-07-15, 10:22 AM
Sure, just shoot me a PM and tell me what you want me to do/report on and all that.

Rayleigh
03-07-15, 10:51 AM
Didn't realize you had started this, Dirks.
I'm still game as well.

Total AP: 11

+5 (initial points)
+2 (full workshop (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?28791-Workshop-The-Star-and-The-Astronomer&p=245200&viewfull=1#post245200))
+1 (condensed workshop (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?28783-Workshop-An-Elf-and-the-Scholar&p=245572&viewfull=1#post245572))
+1 (condensed workshop (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?28840-Workshop-Uneathered-Tarot-Heirarchy&p=245825&viewfull=1#post245825))
+1 (This Althanian Life [Ep. 1])
+1 (ACR [Ep. 26])

SirArtemis
07-15-15, 11:49 AM
I'll help out with this. I'm about to submit a thread and I'll click yes.

Philomel
07-16-15, 11:26 AM
I have been keeping up with the AP on the judgements put to me, marking at the end of them how much each judgement is costing them.

redford
07-16-15, 02:19 PM
I volunteer.

Bard
08-16-15, 08:28 AM
I am willing to volunteer, keep in mind though, I've never requested a judgement, so I don't know how my screen-reader will interact with that. If it doesn't work, I'll PM you Driks and let you know. I'll be checking out the links shortly.