PDA

View Full Version : Embers, the Beginning.

Embers of the Unchaste
02-08-15, 08:53 AM
Name: Adena
Race: Creone

Adena keeps her hair cropped short. The whisps of deep brown fall just below her ears and frame her round face. Her features are typical of her family, but tend to add a youthfulness to her appearance the leads many to believe her younger than she is. Her large eyes are a deep gray and usually filled with wonder. She is petite, just under 168 cm and around 53 kg.

Adena was born into tradition. Every meal, ever conception, ever moment of every day was planned long before her birth. The Creone pride themselves on legitimacy and order. As cousin of the king, Adena's father was no different. If anything, the closeness to the throne forced him to push harder to insure no scandal touched his doorstep.

Her schooling began officially at age four. Adena was a star pupil, picking up languages and math skills at a rate that kept her parents proud. She showed an early aptitude in the magical arts and by nine was well versed in basic sorcery.

Unbeknownst to Adena, whispers were beginning to fill the streets. The king had lain with his wife for eight years and no child had yet been born. Already there were murmurs of who would take the throne should a male heir not appear before the queen hit an inappropriate age to mother.

Adena took little notice when her tutoring stopped. It was not unusual for a mother to pull her daughter close to learn the household skills once the child knew basic magic and literacy. The girl was blissfully unaware when her former nannies, teachers, and playmates disappeared.

She would never know how many died before the plan even began.

The night her father first told her, Adena nearly laughed. Surely he could not believe the people of the kingdom simple enough to ignore the obvious. He quieted her arguments with one simple point. The people could not handle another regime change. Only this plan would ensure the family remained in power.

And so, the next morning, Adena's hair was chopped off. Her near-budding breasts were wrapped painfully in tight cloth to stunt their growth. A special potion was brewed, that if taken daily would hopefully put off any chance of true womanhood finding her. In hours, Aden was born.

His days were filled with new studies. Law, diplomacy, lectures on trade and tradition. He spent his nights learning wield a sword and shield. The day would come soon enough that this training was needed. The king had begun to accept that even with the help of concubines, his hope of fathering a child would never come to fruition. He jumped wholeheartedly into the plan, giving his own attention to his beloved nephew. The soon to be king, Aden.

Abilities:

The royal scam: Once per thread Aden can create an illusion of a second human attacker. This person may change shape or size depending on the opponent, but cannot do any damage. The illusion lasts for two posts. While the person may vary in age and stature, they cannot exceed the height/weight of a grown man.

The Embers: Adena has developed a connection to fire. She can cause it to extinguish or grow slowly. A candle can become a torch in half a minute, but to consume a room would take over an hour. She could also put a candle out immediately, but to stop a blazing forest fire would take all day and leave her exhausted. Adena can hold fire in her hand and throw it as needed The amount she can pick up is no bigger than her palm (similar to the size of a softball). Her skin has not yet become super resistant to heat, so she can only throw 3 fireballs a day.

The change: Aden can strengthen any sword in his possession by one tier of strength for a single post once per thread.

Items: Aden has the palace's arsenal at his aid for quests, but in battle relies solely upon his own iron longsword.

Fox Owen Xavier
02-09-15, 06:29 PM
Sorry for the delay. I read over your profile and it looks like quite an unusual background to grow up in.

For your abilities, could you put a limitation on how often it can be used as well as define how much fire can be controlled? A level 1 character shouldn't be able to control all the fire a dragon can breath for example (although it would be neat and something maybe you could get away with at higher levels). Also, could you define how big the illusion is for royal scam? Something to consider is that if you do something smaller, you could increase your uses per day.

Your equipment is fine although just note that quests can be competitive too and you would not be able to use your palace's arsenal in those situations.

If you have questions, feel free to ask. I don't bite unlike my character.

Embers of the Unchaste
02-09-15, 06:58 PM
For the limitations on fire. Rather than limit to a certain number of usages (as I would find it difficult to put a number on the fire's growth), would it be acceptable to limit how quickly she could grow or extinguish flames? Also, when we are talking size, are we talking about how much she could throw or how large of an area she can control? Would something like this be more acceptable?

Adena has developed a connection to fire. She can cause it to extinguish or grow slowly. A candle can become a torch in half a minute, but to consume a room would take over an hour. She could also put a candle out immediately, but to stop a blazing forest fire would take all day and leave her exhausted. Adena can hold fire in her hand and throw it as needed The amount she can pick up is no bigger than her palm (similar to the size of a softball).

I'm also curious about the size limitation on the illusion. Do I need a height/weight limit? I want to keep it somewhat open as at times I may choose to use a child or an adult depending on the character I'm facing.

Sorry if I'm asking too many questions, I just want to make sure I'm clear before editing. Thanks for all your help.

Fox Owen Xavier
02-09-15, 08:23 PM
For the illusions, you just need a maximum size limitation such as twice the size of a normal human or the size of a baseball for example. If you choose to have a large maximum size, you can of course make the illusion smaller if you wish (in fact, that might sometimes add more depth to a story or create other interesting situations). If you want to go with human sized illusions, that should be fine.

As for fire, I can let you keep the ability to grow/extinguish fire just don't go too crazy with it. The amount you have for throwing is fine but could you put a limit to the number of fire balls you can throw like 3 a day? The concern is that you could just sit next to a bonfire or other flame source and just toss unlimited number of fireballs at people.

And not a problem, I'm happy to help answer questions. I asked quite a few myself when first coming to this site (I'm sure some of the other mods can tell you about it).

Embers of the Unchaste
02-10-15, 12:18 AM
Okay, I think I've got it. Does that look okay?

Fox Owen Xavier
02-10-15, 02:48 PM
Looks good your profile is Approved. Hope you enjoy your time on the site and have many interesting adventures.