PDA

View Full Version : Round 1 Group 10

Silence Sei
02-15-15, 12:07 AM
Round lasts for 2 weeks! Good Luck!

Idara
02-15-15, 10:42 PM
The call to Raiaera had rung through the whole of Althanas with an urgency unmatched by any other recent summons. Perhaps it was the lack of a political agenda that had weighed down the conflict in Eiskalt, or maybe it was unfettered by the gray hue of the Corone Civil War; but something about the purification of the elven homeland’s forest, bereft of its beauty and dignity, resonated with every quick-handed rogue, stalwart shield-bearer, and wizened wizard. They arrived in droves from ships, caravans, even appearing from the very ether itself. Most chose to rest and equip themselves in whatever makeshift, half-standing ruins could be called a city. More cloth poled tents stood than brick and mortar buildings, but they served the valuable function of bazaar, tavern – even bawdy house – for the eager crusaders.

Idara sat in such a tent just outside the crumbling walls of Istien University. Her stool rocked violently back and forth every time she tried to sneak a glimpse from beneath the canopy of the hallowed halls of learning the survived the siege of decay with grievous scars. Around her, the gathered throngs of cheerful minstrels and stoic warriors chatted about the due success of their chosen team. They gave themselves clever nicknames and exchanged witty barbs with rival groups, their sharp tongues dulling with each swig of ale and sip of sweet wine.

But the girl found little taste in the food, drink, or company that surrounded her. Since her arrival from Corone, she had been at ill-at-ease. Crowds always filled her with some sense of dread from the impending threat of conversation with others. Her heart skipped a beat as a colorfully dressed soldier took the seat next to her’s and turned to make conversation.

“Come to lend a hand and rid a delicate land of mar?” He was tanned, swarthy; with a mouth full of gilded teeth his smile had about as much sincerity as her saccharine words. From his flowing robes of jade, he produced a barely budding flower with peaked petals of violet beneath the tight, closed green. The man offered it to her, but she just stared at him from behind her thick framed glasses until he put it away. “Frightened, my dear?”

“A little,” Idara droned back, never breaking eye contact. She drew her jacket closer around her, though there was nothing but a warm breeze.

“And what scares you? Come, tell Laavin.” He inched towards her, the gold in his mouth being of little use in stemming the fetid smell that crept out.

“That this conversation will continue, and that you will move even closer.” With a lazy hand, Idara pointed a single finger skyward. The end of it engulfed in a tiny flame that twisted like an uneven candle. Though a minor trick, coupled with her silence and grimace, the bravo eventually took the hint and sought attention from some other maiden at the jerry-rigged counter. Idara sighed and extinguished the small fire. Turning back to her pewter cup of water, she took slow gulps of it as she eyed around the rest of the tent.

“Someone here has to have transportation to the forest, or does Podë’s curse arbitrarily extend to the beauty of an efficient transit system?” The thought brought a brief flicker of a grin to her face, though that died even quicker than the flame.

Fox Owen Xavier
02-16-15, 09:16 PM
Fox took another look at the ruins he had just arrived at with a heavy sigh. Like many others, he had come to help purify the forest although not because of the proud, haughty elves but at the request of his fox ‘cousins’. Personally, he thought the world would probably be better off without all the humanoid species except kitsunes. After all, the quest was just starting and already this mob were showing their true colors. The grinning ‘merchant’ by the vine ridden wall was charging a fortune for rotten food, half broken weapons, and that lame horse he called transportation. As for the black haired boy pretending to be a fighter, Fox saw the sneaky hand wander off the rusty sword and dart into a nearby bag. And then there were those stupid ugly smelly people searching for love. For example, Fox could see and most certainly smell that creature over by a tent bothering a young women who clearly did not did not appreciate that the meal spoiling stench.

“Sigh, what to do… Food isn’t an issue but transportation definitely is. I can’t just go fox form and dash over to join my cousins with these weapons and other equipment. But on the other hand, I don’t think that lame horse is going anywhere except to the grave. I guess I should just ask around. Maybe that lady knows something and is willing to share now that the ‘stink’ has moved on. I believe she used a bit of magic and that bag looks like it has book shaped objects in it so maybe there’s some common ground I can use to my advantage.”

Approaching the flicking fire, the kitsune tried his best not to look intimidating despite his two red fox ears and redwood bow slung across his back.

“Pardon me, Miss. I couldn’t help but see you glancing over by the great library ruins. Are you a seeker of magic like myself? If so, would you care to exchange knowledge? I also have a few books if you would care to borrow them for the night although I would ask if you could return the favor if you have any books you are willing to lend,” Fox asked in a polite tone as he sat down on a nearby oak stool.

Idara
02-17-15, 11:09 PM
I’m assuming Cerock is disqualified at this point. If not, I can certainly edit or move my post.

Though the tent wasn’t completely silent, Idara found some solace when the sellsword left. Her mind was a bastion from the cacophony of sights, smells, and sounds around her; a bowery of her own making where the fragile girl could comb her metaphorical hair and pine for some allegorical savior to swoop in and right all the wrongs she feared. Of course, her concerns weren’t on the cleansing of the corruption or the Red Witch’s eye turned on the vanguards of the council. The girl was more concerned with finding a guide into the twisted woods, and a means by which she could save her legs the hassle of a long trek.

She thought of her manor back in Corone and her mother and father worried sick, when they weren’t worried about getting the latest shipments of Akashiman silk out through customs and blockades. When the girl had heard the summons of the elves, she leapt (figuratively) at the opportunity to study the land and relieve the constant boredom of noble life. She hadn’t considered the difficulty of the voyage over, nor the complete lack of organization that surrounded her. If she wasn’t used to constant disappointment, the entire trip would have been called a failure by now.

Another sip from the pewter cup sent lukewarm, metallic swill down her throat. She glared at the barkeep and signaled for another serving of fine water, but became distracted when a figure approached from her side. He was short and lithe, but held himself with a warrior’s composure. Well, except for the fox ears - that sort of threw the look off a little. Idara noticed the bow slung over his shoulder and a medley of other weapons kept on his person. ”Another bravo? Oh good.”

But the kitsune was different. He spoke was a sort of gentle approach that would not be out of place at court, excusing himself before idling next to her. He had noticed her parlor trick from earlier, and it peaked enough of an interest to cause him to come by. He didn’t use the oil-soaked lines of a pick-up artist, but seemed genuinely interested in the girl. A biting sense of dread coiled about in her gut at his sincerity.

“Uh, thank you,” she began with all the vigor of a morgue. “But I think I’d prefer to go it alone. Dying is one of life’s few solitary pleasures.” Before Idara had a chance to rebuff his kind offer further, an elf dressed in frayed purple robes came stampeding into the drinking tent. He had two smaller, younger attendants following him, their hands full of scrolls, letters, notebooks and maps. He eyed the tables until he focused in on the girl and the kitsune, and came rushing over to them without any of the grace one would expect of his race.

“Either of you two assigned to a group yet?” With the brief pause, he left no room for rebuttal. Idara hadn’t the time to nod before he continued. “Good. You’re together. And…Kaeryl!” One of his attendants popped up from behind the tower of papers she carried, “you’ll guide them. We’re running short on guides.” With that, the robed elf stomped off to find anyone else who had yet to be assigned. Kaeryl seemed surprised, though relieved when she handed off her workload into the other assistant’s hands. He too lumbered off, but kept perfect balance of the swaying pile. Idara turned back to the kitsune.

“On second thought, I always enjoy reading a new book.”

Silence Sei
02-17-15, 11:20 PM
Cerock and Alden are Disqualified for not meeting the time limit (Thanks for the reminder, Cory)

Fox Owen Xavier
02-18-15, 07:56 PM
“And here I thought I had trouble making friends… The words are fine but that tone could really use some ‘adjustments’. Hope it’s just the shock of realizing this quest isn’t as glamorous as the tales might have made it to be. If not and she is just normally like this, maybe I’ll do her a favor and ‘experiment’ with her food to help her bring out some different emotions…”

“Hello Kaeryl, it’s nice to meet you. You are welcome to take a seat and catch your breath. It sounds like your commander is really in a rush,” Fox greeted the young elven guide. It didn’t take his enchanted senses to tell the attendant was extremely tired although they did help reveal the fact that something was off with her left arm. Judging by the facts that was slower to react and the slight differences in shape and color, it seemed likely that she either had some disease or had the horror of losing her arm and getting a replacement. Either way, the potion crafter thought it would be best to keep it to himself.

Turning back to his ‘energetic and cheerful’ companion, he took out his small collection of books and journals. Quickly glancing over them with the help of a small kitsune firelight, he deposited back his personal diaries before offer up his assorted collection of an immediate potion manual, basic rune guide, summoning book, and then his various self-made notes and stretches of herbs, plants, magic experiments, and new potion recipes.

“Here’s what I got. You might have already read those magic books which if that is the case, I can only offer my poor attempts of documenting my research. Just be warned that my notes are intended for personal use so I sometimes describe stuff in terms of smell and other senses which most normal people can’t achieve the level necessary to follow,” Fox explained in a friendly voice trying to do his best not to offend but trying to set realistic expectations if she decided to browse his notes.

Idara
02-19-15, 07:43 PM
The attendant had a weariness about her that Idara enjoyed; something about a tired elf almost made the girl giggle. Almost. She was plain for one of her kin, with dark circles around her eyes and a nervous smile on introduction. Her clothes had neither the cleanliness nor pomp expected, and her whole body seemed to slump just a little more into something closer to human. Idara waved half-heartedly at her, before turning her attention back to the kitsune.

Atop the bar, he had produced a cornucopia of tomes on all manner of the arcane. Summoning spells piqued her interest greatly, as controlling some writhing beast from the void, or materializing a famulus from raw thaumaturgic had always held some scholarly concern for her. Next to that was a beginner’s encyclopedia on runic script, no doubt a powerful augment for any spell she might try her hand at. Looking through the arcane treatises and alchemical notes, the sorceress felt an excitement swell within her that she could not remember having before.

The life of nobility she led in Corone drained her of any will to leave her bedchamber. Morning tutors and spinstery etiquette teachers filled her day with attempts at some sort of social betterment, but all it took was the constant rebuff of her words to force them into silence and collect what pay her family offered. But when she discovered her gifts at a young age, it was enough to gain her tentative interest. Naturally adept, she still lacked any formal training that could make true use of her preternatural gifts. Whatever help this kitsune could be to her would prove invaluable, especially if they ever managed to find their way into the Red Forest.

“Idara,” she said matter of factly. She extended a shy hand to him in greeting, but glanced every now and then at his own to make sure they were not sullied with whatever an adventurer came across. “It seems you, me, and that spritely thing will be working together on this great quest. However, I must mention that a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step, and I don’t much like walking. Maybe we should try to secure some horses, or even a working mule, to try to get to Podë.” She turned her head back to Kaeryl.

“Or maybe we could all just wait until she dies of old age.”

Fox Owen Xavier
02-20-15, 06:51 PM
Watching her eyes flicker with a glimmer of excitement, Fox couldn’t help but wonder what the mage’s background was. With her attitude and sharp tongue, it seemed unlikely she was just a common adventurer. That would have probably resulted in certain ‘experiences’ from people who did not appreciate those kind of words.

“Then again, there’s always teacher… She was insanely vocal about her disapproval on even the littlest of things… Then again, she could back up her words which I doubt this woman can. Well, at least not on the same level. How many layers of hell have I been through in just 20 years…? I swear the only reason why that old ‘witch’ makes sure her victims live is to make sure they don’t have an easy escape.”

“Well, this ‘lady’ seems to know some magic. Based on that and the fact that I heard humans have to train to use magic unlike naturally learning it like us kitsune. Well, we still have to train to fully utilize it but almost any kitsune will use magic as part of growing up. I guess a mage’s family seems like the most likely possibility…. Wait that only explains the magic part. Maybe a rich mage’s family who thinks they are superior to others? Actually, from what I seen, humans just love tramping on people so not sure if being rich is a requirement.”

Clearing his throat, Fox continued from Idara’s speech now that she finished for the moment. “Apologies for my “companion’s” words. It’s late and she probably has been through a lot. I hope she hasn’t offended you. Anyways, would you happen to know what our options for transportation is? I expect that most or all of the normal methods have been exhausted due to overwhelming numbers that have showed up…”

The potion crafter was going to continue but suddenly an idea struck him as he saw Idara exploring the summoning manual. In that book, there was a section he had wanted to try but seemed too risky since they were intended for masters or multiple people. One of them was summoning a demon beast such as a ‘nightmare’ or ‘hell boar’.

“Idara, would you mind taking a look at page 371? I think that could potentially solve our issues if you want to give it a try. Well, you would probably need to do a few practices with something simpler but I think we could pull it off especially if Kaeryl could help. Most of the work is done by the first two people if I remember correctly. Extra people just help the success chances and don’t really have to do anything special.”

Idara
02-20-15, 10:31 PM
Page three hundred and seventy-one of the summoning book contained elegant calligraphy for notes, and beautifully detailed sketches of a horrible beast. Its body was the stuff of nightmares, and its face had seen into an abyss that was too frightened to stare back. Countless scrawls gave vivid details into the ritual needed to bring about such a creature; to materialize it through mantra and for of will. This was the sort of heavy magic her occasionally dotting parents had warned her about. Their worries no longer seemed so farfetched as she scanned the page.

Still, Idara was never one to shy away from a challenge, unless it required a good deal of honest labor. She could feel the surge of magic inside her tingle at the thought of such a harrowing trial of her innate skill. Perhaps the kitsune was wiser than he appeared, and all would go well. The Red Witch would never have a chance of an adventuring group came riding in on such a fell beast. From over her shoulder, Idara could feel Kaeryl’s worried eyes glancing at the page. No doubt the young elf was wary of such conjuring, especially with the history of her land. The sorceress felts the need to put her mind at ease.

“If all goes well, we’ll have the safest ride into the Red Forest.” The elf cheered up at that, smiling with some strain. “And if it doesn’t, our bodies and souls will be ripped to shreds, and scattered before we’ve realized we have been damned to an eternity of torment.” The girl’s smile dropped with an almost audible sound. “Don’t worry, I’m sure this man is an expert in the craft.”

Idara stood up then, placing a few of the Kitsune’s books securely in her bag, while holding onto the summoning tome. Waiting for neither an answer nor further questions, she strode out from underneath the shade of the tent, into the nosier bazaar that that surrounded it. Her puzzled companions were quick to keep pace, and she was thankful they had the sense of mind to follow.

“Where would be the best place to conduct the ritual?” Her drone was directed at Fox. “Feel free to add any details on the way that might dampen the pain of our inevitable deaths.”

Fox Owen Xavier
02-21-15, 09:50 PM
Seeing someone else excited about magic pleased Fox. However, her attitude worried him. Only novices, overconfident, and/or mad people causally dismissed the dangers of summoning magic. Since she obviously knew how to use basic magic, it was very concerning to see her talk as if it were just a trivial manner especially since she shouldn’t know how experienced he was. Reckless people tend to die earlier than most from his experience.

Sighing inwardly, Fox caught up to Idara and tried to get her to calm down a bit. “For this type of summoning, it’s going to take some time to set up the circles and other materials required. Like I said earlier, it would be best if you learn the basics by doing a few simple ones in the book. They don’t require much energy and the summons are weak enough that you shouldn't get hurt if they decide to go against you. Just don't try any of the more advanced ones since the author doesn't have the best designs to protect the caster. In the meanwhile, I will go prepare everything at a location where hopefully no one will distract us. It probably won’t be ready until tomorrow evening at the earliest. It might even take two or three days. I’ll meet you both back in camp after I have set it up.”

Taking his leave, the kitsune slipped away in the crowd to leave his partners to hopefully get some practice.

A few hours later, Fox finally found a convenient place in the forest nearby. It was a house long lost to the woods. The wooden roof had crumped in long time ago and the walls nearly destroyed by the vines but the stone floor seemed solid and flat enough to work with. After the inspection, the summoner closed his eyes and called out to the delyn metal coiled around his body to resume its more natural form. In the illumining light of his kitune fire, the warm metal slithered from his body onto his arm and finally into a familiar sword.

Using the sword in both its normal form as well as a few other forms such as an axe, Fox was able to clear out the thick weeds and overgrow shrubs to finally reveal the cold grey stone floor below. Surprisingly, while there were numerous smaller cracks, there wasn’t any big ones that would disrupt the summoning circle. Still, the kitsune decided to leave nothing to chance especially with an over eager companion. Taking the brown dirt outside, he began the slow process of filling in each crack no matter how small. Together with clearing the brush, this taken him a full day.

On the next day, Fox begin reviewing some of his private diaries filled with past experiments. These he dared not lend to other people since apparently killing animals to experiment with various different techniques was not a good thing. Those rats and other rodents were going to be dinner anyways so why did it matter if a failed circle design killed them instead of his teeth?

“Hmm, I don’t want to alarm then by doing something completely different than what’s in the book, but whoever wrote it was an idiot. The inner circle could be reinforced at least two fold to increase the strength of the containment field. Not to mention, I don’t like how the summoning spots lock in the main caster… I don’t trust that Idara person well enough to make her do it so guess I’ll have to modify it to transfer the ownership so I can get out if things go sour. Took me only a few hundred animals to figure out how to rewrite the circle to do that… Guess I’ll also reinforce all the summoner spots with runes to help protect against any mental assault in case the beast has strong telepathic powers. For protection, I’ll go with triple, five layer inner circles along with runes of strengthening instead of just double inner circles. Containment field will be at least three times stronger for each circle and it would add another inner circle that the beast would have to pierce through. As for the outer most circle, I’ll transform it to a penta or hex shape to reinforce the summoning magic since if the beast pierces through the inner containment fields, an outer containment field would be quite useless especially considering we have to be inside that outer circle.”

Finally deciding on a design, the adventurer begin carefully cutting out the complex ritual in the stone and dirt floor.

Idara
02-22-15, 09:49 PM
“He talks a lot.” Idara thought of her foxed-eared companion as she left to join the rest of the bazaar. The group had decided to split up for the moment. Fox would go make the necessary preparations for the ritual, and the sorceress was supposed to find a way to practice the simpler spells entombed within. Simple enough. She’d copied the notes and diagrams as best she could, and had Kaeryl follow her around the shops to help acquire any needed reagents for the experiments.

As the pair came to a tent guarded on either side by boulders from some collapsed ruin, Idara could make out the rough wording of alchemist on a nearby sign. No doubt the small table had some stuff of interest to her plans. As she approached, she noticed a rather rotund human man working behind the counter. The sun was nigh set, but still he seemed to sweat straight through his stain smock. His face glistened with a natural grease, and the sorceress was afraid to approach for fear of the smell that might trail such a loathsome creature. Still, Kaeryl assured her that the labeled goods in stacked crates matched up for the required ingredients on her list, so Idara decided it was worth a checking out.

“Excuse me,” the sorceress said, with a slight apprehension to starting the conversation. “You wouldn’t happen to have any…thunder-burnt elm, would you?” The words almost made her choke, so much they seemed like parody.

“Do I look like a thunder-burnt elm trader,” he shot back, his tongue thick and guttural. He loomed over the table to stare down at her, his mustache seemingly dripping.

“…Yes. Yes you do.” The sorceress never took intimidation lightly. “When I imagine such a monger, your gilded apparition is the first thing to come to mind.”

Several shops later, she’d finally managed to collect all the goods she needed to. With ash from a recent fire, she drew a small circle on a nearby stone. Kaeryl was leered nearby, often looking over her shoulder. She’d yet to voice any true concern over the arcane, but her looks betrayed her true intention. Perhaps if I sing it instead…

The branch placed in the center of the circle, and several cloud berries flanking it, Idara began a simple muttering chant to try and materialize the immaterial. She could feel the winds kick up around her. Her face felt flush with fresh blood, and she had to close her eyes to stop the world from spinning. No doubt whatever magic she was playing with was working, because soon the ashen shape took form into a loose, evanescent dome. As it vanished it left a small red toad in its place. The creature was bloated, and its limbs all seemed twisted into knots. It tried to croak, but the animal’s noise began to form into the common tongue. It was trying to speak.

”Kill me…” Its whisper matched the dying wind. [i]”K…kill…me.”[i] As quickly as it appeared, it vanished. Not in wisps or tethers of the ethereal, but in a small crimson cloud as it popped into a pool of blood. The stone was coated in it, and Idara found herself wiping a bit of her glasses to try and see the scene she wrought. Kaeryl behind her let out a small shriek at the ordeal, causing Idara to turn.

“Fox doesn’t need to know about this. I’m sure we’ll be fine.” She stood up, and looked up into the elf’s eyes. “But just in case, maybe you should go see if you know anyways with a spare wagon.”

Fox Owen Xavier
02-23-15, 09:43 PM
In comparison to Idara’s circle, Fox’s did not follow the traditional setup however, with many experiments, he had turned summoning into a probability equation by identifying each component and how it affected the ritual. The core was definitely in the circle. With a poorly drawn circle, the creature could easily break free and turn on its summoners. Besides protection, it also strengthen the summoning ritual allowing significantly better chances of summoning a more ‘obedient’ creature and convincing it to work for you. After all, the destructive demons preferred fools who made weak circles they could easily shatter.

With this in mind, the kitsune’s circle of circles were carefully measured for correct angles, interceptions, roundness, and empowered the mixture of the runic magic system. While Fox wasn’t confident they would be able to tame the summoned creature, he knew that unless they called an archbeast, it would likely be stuck in the circle for at least a good half hour before being able to break free of the restraining ritual.

As for the other common items such as smoking candles, blood sacrifice, and all that, the merchant decided to skip them due to the cost and/or difficulty to find. They had their uses such as calming and boosting the confidence of novices but didn’t really make the summoning more successful other than maybe slightly confusing and calming down the summoned beast in his trials.

“Now to test this masterpiece. Definitely not going to risk my life with the overeager mage and timid elf. Guess I’ll have to ‘recruit’ two summoners and then have a go. I can sense one of my ‘cousins’ in the area so that covers one spot. As for the other, guess I’ll give that fox-demon a try. It’s definitely nice to find one who isn’t just interested in killing things and actually is interested in this world. Not to mention, it’s fairly easy to get some snacks for her.”

Giving a howl, the kitsune called for the nearby fox to join him. Immediately afterwards, he began scratching out a small circle outside in the dirt. It was simple but he much greater trust in this demon than his two earlier companions. Calling out a name in his native fox tongue, it rang through the dimensions before roaring back with a burst of flame that illumined the surroundings before pulling back to take the form of a small fox covered in fire.

“Thank you for answering, Delilah. As usual, you are free to take your pick of all the food I have prepared. In return, would you mind offering your assistance for a small summon? I created a three way circle but need to verify it will work. I plan on summoning something really small so it won’t kill my cousin or drain your energy.”

“Why do you even bother wasting your time with all these experiments? I just don’t understand you people. If you were to focus on actually becoming powerful instead of just slow and careful research, you could be so much more. Sure you don’t want to take up my offer? With your talents, you could probably become my second in command if you apply yourself.” Delilah dismissed Fox’s question as she made short work of the meat and then began taking a look at the elaborate circle.

“Well, I will admit your wasted time has made you a master of the basics. Don’t ever dare summon me in a prison like that or you will feel the wrath of my true form. Now that aside, I’ll guess I’ll entertain your one request but it will cost you your soul.”

“Is it really that unreasonable? Also, if you want my soul, you will have to convince that old witch…”

“Hmmf, that stupid old rotten hag, when will she finally just quit and die already. Fine! I’ll help but don’t bring up her again until at least next time or I’ll break my promise and slaughter you. And next time, you really owe me! I expect at least a nine course meal and your assistance with a few personal requests. And yes, that stupid woman will be fine with them,” Delilah’s mood took an immediate turn for the worst as echoed by the roaring red flames surrounding her.

With the help of the angry demon and the scared stiff fox that had just arrived, the kitsune was able to quickly perform do few test runs before dismissing his two unhappy companions. With the confirmation everything was setup properly, Fox returned to the camp hoping to find the elf alone so he could get her side of the story before Idara intimidated her into silence.

Idara
02-24-15, 09:35 PM
Idara had managed to intimidate Kaeryl into silence with nary a word uttered between the two. The elf had went and gone to find some other mode transport if their current ventures proved fruitless, so this left the sorceress with a heap of time on her hands to try and scour the market for a few more reagents. Perhaps the ingredients she’d used before were of poorer quality, but the truth was evident that she lacked enough experience in such affairs to make that judgment. Instead, she spent quickly flowing hours nervously approaching other hastily assembled vendor stalls in attempt to find something on her lists that seemed somewhat familiar, but it was all for naught.

“Maybe I can just ask the kitsune for some help in the matter,” she thought, but quickly pushed that idea out of mind. As inexperienced as she was, she’d never really felt the urge to ask someone else for help before. Perhaps being the only mage at the manor home growing up had gotten to her. Though her parents could scarcely understand her gifts and the part they played in their plans for her life, they still had never ceased to heap praise upon her for even the most common of parlor tricks. The attention was infuriating at first. But alone, in a foreign country, she couldn’t help missing just a little bit of it.

The sights and sounds around her put Idara ill at ease. Even when Kaeryl returned with good tidings, her mind was elsewhere. The elf mentioned a small cart a local farmer was willing to lend for an exorbitant price. But tilling the soil around the Red Forest was a meager existence, and the sorceress could see the sense in fleecing any tourist that came to this gods forsaken place for all the money they were worth.

“The only issue,” the meek elf began, biting her lip as if she’d just eaten a lemon, “is that the farmer has no animals to spare for it.”

“So we’ll still need to summon something?” Idara looked around the camp. It seemed emptier now, with many of the adventuring parties having made their way into the depths of the woods. Off in the distant, she could swear the sounds of scream carried on the air back towards basecamp. “Maybe it’s all for the best if we just stay out here. Do we get paid either way?”

Kaeryl looked stern at those words, but her face betrayed her when Idara refused to break eye contact during the resulting five minutes of silences. Finally the two returned back towards the makeshift bar where all had been introduced, though the sun lay so close to the earth that neither could see the nearly desolate place under the awning. They sat across from each other, occasionally sipping at whatever the bartender had on tap. The elf rapped against the side of the table and shook her leg, while Idara quietly read through the notes again in hopes of gleaning some new gospel from the words. So engrossed was she that she didn’t hear the kitsune’s approach or his friendly greeting.

Or maybe she just chose to ignore it.

Fox Owen Xavier
02-25-15, 09:30 PM
Finding the pair proved to be surprising simple. Apparently a certain someone had made quite a name for herself for a sharp tongue. Even the description of the elf brought forth a sign of recognition as people mentioned she had been asking around for a cart, wagon, or just about any means of transportation. As Fox approached the bar they had met and parted at, he could tell by her tired and gloomy look that it hadn’t been successful. As for the young mage, she was intently studying one of the books that he had loaned her previously. The initial burst of energy had departed.

“Well, well, well. Looks like someone has learned that summoning isn’t just child’s play. Wonder if she even managed to get anything to appear. It took me at least a week, but then again, I just a young kit,” Fox smiled to himself as he briefly recalled childhood memories. “Still, I wonder if I should have tried to help. Then again, she might prefer and/or learn best alone like myself. Also, hard lessons tend to stick better as I know all too well.”

“Hello Mrs. Idara and Mrs. Kaeryl. I hope you two are doing well. I heard from people that you both were at hard at work trying to find transportation and practicing magic. I don’t suppose you had any luck with an alternative form of transportation?”

Kaeryl’s unhappy face told the answer before the halfhearted shake of her head. It was what Fox had expected but still, he would have preferred a safer form of traveling if possible. As for Idara, she seemed indifferent to kitsune’s words and instead focused on his book.

“Mrs. Idara? Are you okay?” Fox asked, starting to get a bit concerned that maybe the young woman had summoned something crazy that had taken over her mind or caused other mental damage.

Idara
02-26-15, 09:24 PM
“Oh yes,” she began in her monotone, “I’m just excited to get this summoning under way.” In truth, Idara was far more likely to hide her faults than tell them to a man she met such a short while ago. While she often told herself she didn’t care what others thought of her general character, her skills as a mage were something she disliked being brought into question. Talent at such a young age had led the sorceress to down the pitfall route of hubris, even if she’d never admit to it. For now she was content to make it seem like all her practice had gone swimmingly. She even attempted a smile, but she could also feel the last remnants of merry in the room snuff out from it.

“And no,” she continued, trying her best to hide some of her face behind a glass of water, “we didn’t manage to find any means of transportation. A broken down wagon with no beast of burden is nearly useless to us. At this point, it’s either hellbeast or the trek on foot. If we march, at least we can follow the trail of bodies.”

Light waned on all sides of the tent, slowly slithering outside its boundaries. The three of them were the last people inside, besides the grim looking dwarf behind the counter who stood statuesque on the stool behind. He polished a glass with increasing speed, and it seemed as if the damned thing was libel to break in his hand at any moment. The sorceress felt increasingly uncomfortable with it all, and just wanted to get their tedious journey underway for their inevitable and timely end.

The kistune looked stern, if caring. It was a face Idara had become all too familiar with, like Kaeryl’s constant scrunched-up look that made it look as if she needed to relieve herself at all times, or the bartender who leered at the ground, waiting as he was to close down shop. She wondered if anyone in this country had more than one distant mood, and she scowled at the thought.

“I’ve held up my end with practice.” She looked at the elf, who simply bowed her head and kept quiet, much to Idara’s liking. “Has everything been completed on your end. I fear if we’re the last group to leave, we may be forced onto the clean-up brigades.”

Fox Owen Xavier
02-27-15, 06:22 PM
“She is lying,” was Fox’s instant impression to Idara’s answer. The previous spark of excitement had clearly fled from her face and the voice was drier than ever. She was trying to hide something. Assuming his previous hunch was correct, she had failed to summon anything which was completely understandable. People didn’t like talking about their mistakes especially to strangers. Still, having gone through the learning process himself, getting nothing was completely normal unless you were a genius or master magician.

“Well, guess she is the type to take failure hard. Guess I should have tried to better set her expectations. Hopefully this experience will give her more respect of the difficulty of this type of magic. I just hope this wasn’t too much and this gets in the way of her concentration.”

“Well, there are some benefits to being part of the cleanup crew but I have a feeling my cousins wouldn’t approve which leaves the summoning. I hope you have gotten a better feel for the difficulty involved. This is not one to take lightly, there is a reason why it requires multiple people. I have done my best to set up additionally protections but I personally have never have called a creature on this scale before,” Fox stated.

“If you two are willing to take the risks, then follow me. I have drawn up the circle nearby. If not, I understand and wish you two the best. I can find another way.”

Have to go some place tonight. If I get back before the deadline, I'll repost this to give you more time. Sorry for not giving you more heads up.

Idara
02-28-15, 06:21 PM
The kitsune would hear no more argument from the young sorceress. They needed to get on task and into the forest, and the summoning proved to be the only reliable means by which they could. She allowed her more experienced comrade to lead the way. Idara followed close behind, searching the darkening camp for any last sign of some salvation that could prevent their annihilation, or worse, her humiliation, when the actual summoning began. Kaerly brought up the rear, although her body leaned as if she were eager to make a break for it right now.

”Poor girl,” Idara thought when she caught that deer in the headlights with a backwards glance. “She never asked for this, but now she’s been pressed into our service by her masters. She doesn’t have Fox’s sense of duty, or my stubborn stillborn pride. I wish I could tell her it’d be alright to go, but then I’d be alone with the kitsune and the summoner’s circle. Somehow I doubt those odds are better.”

At last the motely group made its way to the lost and crumbling house Fox had found in the woods’ outskirts. By the sight of it, it had no doubt weathered the worst of the Red Witch’s curse for many years. Whether built while the Red Forest was bereft of its corruption, or planned and sanely ditched after the fact, the girl could not say. She wasn’t as long-lived or wise as the elder races, so she turned to Kaeryl to fill in some gaps. Perhaps a bit of conversation could put both their minds at ease.

“When do you suppose this house was occupied?” Her voice was half a whisper, and half the doldrums she constantly presented to the world. In the waning light, the sorceress could almost see Kaeryl’s face contort.

“I do not know. I grew up far north of the Red Forest.” And with her sheepish tone, conversation had ended as quickly as it began. Idara thought it was for the best to never try and initiate it again.

The kitsune stopped as the group entered the decayed rubble that was once a sturdy stone wall. Moonlight swept its way in, with some difficulty, passed the sickened tree branches and what was left of a thatched roof. Though twilight still kept the room firmly in its grasp, Fox busied himself reading a few spare sources of light to help make the spell easier to cast. Idara could feel a twisting inside her gut. She could almost picture her failure personified as the beast they’d summon. Part-frog, with both faces of her parents, it’d no doubt chide her on her hubris before consuming her whole. And gods only knew the scowls Kaeryl and Fox would make at her as they all dissolved inside its belly for an eternity.

“Uh, let’s get this over with. I’m eager for adventure.” For the first time in her life, Idara gave a thumb’s up.

Max Dirks
03-03-15, 09:00 PM
Since this is a tournament, commentary is limited. If you are concerned about your score, please let me know and I'll be happy to share my notes.

I have to admit, I was very pleased by your alternative take on the prompt. Whereas most of the other groups charged headstrong into the forest to overcome obstacles like giant trees, fealotes, red mist or even Pode herself, your obstacle - transportation - was both realistic and a fresh departure from the rest of round one. Your creativity is reflected in your Storytelling score. That said, there was certainly some room for improvement, particularly in pacing. The thread was already sluggish, and Fox's two day advancing of time was unexpected. When Idara did not immediately mirror it, it was like starting the thread over for the reader.

In terms of character, both of your strengths were in persona. Fox's logical "stream of conscious" manner of thinking was readily apparent from his writing. Similarly, Idara's struggle with realizing she may not be as powerful of a mage as she thought was believable and well written. Though the story was not based on action, I was admittedly disappointed that both Fox and Idara failed to describe their respective summoning spells, though I did not remove points for my disappointment. Still, a lot of excellent opportunities for interaction with NPCs and the environment were lost in summaries when time passed. The biggest weakness in the thread was communication. As Idara said, Fox talked too much. In fact, while reading it was hard to differentiate between his internal monologue and spoken word. At point, I even thought he may have been interacting with an NPC. To differentiate this, place your thoughts in italics or break them with some indication you are thinking (which I did notice both of you did on occasion). Be consistent.

Core mechanics were fine, though I did note quite a few omitted or improperly used words. There were no real advanced writing techniques such as similes, metaphors, or foreshadowing in this thread, but imagery was vivid, particularly Idara's description of the tent and Fox's description of the abandoned home in the woods. Clarity was another point of concern. As noted above, it was unclear at times what dialogue was spoken and which was internal. Also, Fox, your sentence structure could have been better. For example, in post 3 you wrote, "Fox took another look at the ruins he had just arrived at with a heavy sigh." Though I understood what you were saying, the writing could have flowed better and you essentially masked ending a sentence with a prepositional phrase. For example, you could have written, "Fox took another look at the ruins and sighed. Since he arrived...," which would have cleaned up the sentence and implied to the reader that your character had just arrived.

Judgment (Group 10 - Fox Owen Xavier and Idara)

Story - 6
Setting - 5
Pacing - 4
Communications - 4
Action - 5
Persona - 5
Mechanics - 5
Technique - 5
Clarity - 5
Wildcard - 5

Total 49/100

Fox Owen Xavier receives 679 EXP and 78 GP