PDA

View Full Version : Untitled Salvar thread recruitment

Rayse Valentino
02-26-15, 03:16 PM
This is just an interest check, but basically I want to do a thread in Salvar. First, some backstory to what I believe is going on before any of this occurs:

The crown and the church have come together to create a new organization - The Vanguard. This is a military force that specializes in local justice. Its base of operations is just outside Knife's Edge, with branches all over the country. Members of this organization are called Divine Knights, with senior knights being called Arc Knights. They use something called Blade Magic - magical abilities that require the use of a bladed weapon, much like the sword magic of Final Fantasy Tactics. Their main base is still untitled, but their branches are just called stuff like The Tirel Vanguard Branch etc.

This development is a movement by the higher ups, who have already experienced life in other countries via trade and travel, to embrace magic, and to use The Vanguard to stem the wave of magi-phobia that has gripped the country for a long time. No more hunting witches, no more bans on magic, the country wants to move forward. I feel like writers mostly ignore this ban anyway, since many players are magic-users and don't seem to face any hostility from it, so maybe it's time to do away with it.

There is also another new organization, created by the strife of the country and the level of law enforcement dropping since the Civil War. While colloquially known as The Thieves Guild, they prefer to be known as equivalents to Corone's Rangers. What they call themselves is still untitled. While many of them are freedom fighters who just try to help the poor and destitute, many are simply thieves, highwaymen, looters, and even murderers. In a way, they're for pure freedom from nobility in general, maybe an analogue to The Bandit Brotherhood.

The last organization is already well-known, and it's The Company. A pretty simple name and in hindsight, maybe a bit too simple, but there you go. They took over most underground activities East of Knife's Edge, while The Vogruk-Stokes Company took it over to the West. The illegal activity in the country is basically divided between them. Their leaders are elusive; Only having been seen by their direct subordinates and a few notable people.

The plot, as it stands, is that my character Rayse is building a train line that runs from Knife's Edge to Tirel. Yes, this is a massive line through treacherous terrain, but it's important in the rebuilding of Knife's Edge as well as industrializing the nation. I'm sure I don't need to explain what happened historically to people with train monopolies. With the benefits, there are also risks. The completed section of the train is currently only carrying freight, which includes building materials, food, and some trade goods. This makes it a prime target for The Thieves Guild, who have started attacking the train, taking its goods, and leaving wreckage in its wake. They see the train as merely a tool of the oppressors to further enrich themselves... or they just want stuff. It depends who you ask.

The Vanguard, being the do-gooders they are, are sent to investigate this and try to stop The Thieves Guild. There's a lot of angles with this, including trying to find their hideouts.

Rayse, using The Company and whatnot, is trying to deal with it on his own as well. Of course, with The Vanguard snooping around, makes it difficult to do anything illegal with the trains, such as transporting stolen goods.

So this is basically a three-sided conflict. With that out of the way, I need people for each side of this. Someone working for The Thieves Guild for fun and profit, or maybe believing in their cause, someone working for The Vanguard, doing good in the name of justice or just filled with righteousness. For The Company, anyone that's monetarily invested in the project can see a reason to participate. Join for greed, for criminal organization stuff, or if you just wanna act really sophisticated and drink your tea with a pinky extended. Ideally I'd like to think of more detailed plots for each side and not personally direct all of them, taking a more hands-off approach and leaving the development open-ended, but I can do a more strict outline as well. I'm also not married to the exact concept, the only thing I'm interested in is the 3-sided nature of the story.

Silence Sei
02-26-15, 03:34 PM
Name the character and I'm in.

Warpath
02-26-15, 07:18 PM
The Thieves' Guild you're describing sounds very much in line with Flint's philosophy and activities in Salvar. I've even written stories wherein he attacks trains, so he's kinda got a modus operandi for it, if you're interested in going that way.

Rayse Valentino
02-26-15, 09:44 PM
Sei - Since your characters can fit any role, I'll hold off on choosing one, although Vanguard or Company might need you.

Warpath - Of course! You want in, you're in! Warpath sounds like the perfect guy for the Thieves Guild.

Theoretically we need one more, but any number is fine, too many people just means a few more minor roles or cameos.

BlackAndBlueEyes
03-14-15, 11:36 AM
I'll throw Maddy and a few NPCs in on the side of The Company, per our discussions.

Rayse Valentino
03-18-15, 02:21 PM
Okay, more planning stuff:

I request everyone involved get Skype. I'll make a Skype group for everyone and we'll be able to communicate in there and not have to worry about timezones or anything, and collect chatlogs for ideas and have people be able to respond to everything at their leisure. If anyone has a better way to avoid communication problems, let me know, but this is the best way as far as I'm aware.

I'll also make a google doc and put the timeline of events in there as this progresses, and people can use it for collaborative posts as well. Using this is optional, although I'd like people to at least look at it.

Still looking for someone for The Vanguard, otherwise they will be NPCs controlled be all parties. Speaking of which, I believe Divine Knights should operate in pairs. Each member of the pair has a longsword, one has a Justice Blade, while the other has a Redemption Blade. These are both Holy Swords that are magically linked to each other. The Justice Blade allows destructive Sword Magic, meant for apprehending or dispatching their foes. The Redemption Blade is a healing sword, allowing the user to repair the damage called by the Justice Blade. It can actually reverse the destruction, negating collateral damage and restoring environments to their previous state. It can heal people as well, but not if they're dead already.

The pair of Divine Knights sent to investigate the train attacks could be named Alexei and Gillian. Alexei, user of the Justice Blade, is headstrong and righteous, while Gillian the user of the Redemption Blade, is more reserved and cautious.

Their HQ outside Knife's Edge is called The King Iorlain Training Academy.

Anyone working for The Vanguard could be a part of the organization and provided with a Holy Sword and Sword Magic abilities, but they could also be working for the government, or a mercenary working for The Vanguard. There's a lot of possibilities, but basically this person would be a do-gooder. Remember that The Vanguard is a joint venture between the church and the crown, so there is a lot of support by the clergy and nobles.

I was thinking that the in-group name for The Thieves Guild should be Svoboda, which IRL is the Russian word for freedom. In IC lore it could just be the name of a village destroyed in the civil war and the residents had to turn to crime to sustain their families.

Rayse Valentino
04-13-15, 06:18 PM
Anyone else? Ideally could use someone on the Thieves Guild side of a decent level. Someone to counter-act the force that Madison brings. A do-gooder working for The Vanguard (or independently) would be good as well.

Philomel
04-14-15, 02:00 AM
As we are working on the other thread involving the train line, I can throw in my lot here, Rayse.

I can bring some ladies as NPCs with me ;)

Zook Murnig
04-14-15, 10:37 PM
Posting to register my interest on Penn Richards' behalf (Less Careful).

Dissinger
04-14-15, 11:13 PM
Posting interest from this account.