PDA

View Full Version : The Dance With Death (SOLO)

Light
05-01-15, 07:53 PM
** thump.. thump...thump**

15 feet. Wind: 5 mph, west.

**thump...thump..thump**

Chance to dodge, high

** thump..thump...thump**

Chances to survive, slim.

**thump..thump...thump**

My fluttering chest sounds was all I was focusing on as I stared Death in the face. Its mouth was lined with salivating, razor sharp teeth. Dripping with blood from its latest kill and its eyes positioned straight on me. Amber, slitted eyes flashing the signs of a creature that had no fear. The ebony fur that intertwined with intense white, swirled throughout the creature’s arched body. Its massive paws sported thick, barbed claws that were capable of shredding its victims before they even had a chance. This wolf hybrid was intent on one thing, ripping my throat from my body and draining my blood dry so as to feast on my corpse. There was only one way out of this god forsaken forest, and this monster was blocking my escape to safety.

It’s eye’s never leaving my silhouette, the hybrid slowly began to set his stance to launch an attack. I gently lifted my arm around to my dagger that lay on the ground in front of me. With trembling nerves, I laced my fingers around the crimson handle and lifted ever so slightly. The wolf slicked his ears back in response and bellowed out a high-pitch howl.

Raising his paw to begin his move, I stood to my feet. My hand raised to shoulder level, dagger in tow, as I took my first step onto the forest floor. My steel eyes fixated on the challenge that lay before me. This forest had bore its challenges to me, but I refuse to succumb to the madness that creeps into my mind. Amra still needs me, and I will prevail out of this trial. I must.

The wolf began pacing the opposite direction. Its steady breathe flashed against the bitter air that lay before us. The hybrid had decided its final blow that would silence his prey before him.

So, the dance of death has begun.

**Two days prior**

I bolted up from the ground, sweat glistening off my cold skin. My voice tried to scream out, but nothing emerged. Nor do I dare to scream in the nightmare I have found myself in. These tortuous dreams have plagued me for the past 5 moons since my banishment. In what little sleep I have obtained, I have visions of Amra being dragged into the pits of Hell. Her bellows and cries for death, have sunken their ways into every crevice of my body. Dreams as they be, they haunt me so.

I peered up into what little sky I could see peaking its way into this crimson stained forest. The sun was just beginning to flash its warm ray’s down onto the thirsty world. Traveling these woods in the night have proved more hazardous than previous planned. The spawns of this once cursed forest are more vicious and lethal when the sun’s warmth has perished from the land. I have been lucky to gather trickles of water from the moon’s previous storm, but my wares grow low. I have not eaten more than a handful of what I have been able to identify. My strength grows sparse.

A wound I had suffered from the Berre was beginning to ooze out of the mock shifted bandage I was able to procure from a decaying corpse. This bear like creature was covered head to tail in venomous spines that they could flail at their target. I was lucky enough to survive with a minor tear, but the venom will eventually take hold. I stumble out of the ore and pebble enclosure I was able to shelter in. My eye’s groggy from the lack of peaceful sleep and my trembling limbs that long for safety begin to make our way deeper into the forest. Leaves dance around the air as the breeze carries them off and I position my bow into a relaxed state in front of me.

I pray today will be the day I escape this prison, but I have been wrong before.

Light
05-04-15, 10:36 AM
My feet ached as I ventured further into the crimson forest. My throat yearned for more water, my throbbing limbs wanted nothing more than to find a dark place and never awaken. My senses were dull with the lull of the endless environment that lay before me. But I refuse to stop as I marched forth, bow in tow. I've heard of a safe haven in these woods, a place that would be free from monsters and allow some rest. Granted, I have never traveled this far into these woods and this myth could be nothing more than a wish for the dying.

I was snapped out of my calm thoughts to a screech that sang throughout the trees. The birds scattered out of the foliage as I slung my bow around my back and lunged for the lowest branch on the towering oak tree. I began my ascent up the tree in an attempt to ascertain the alarming ring that was vibrating the surroundings.

The ground began to rumble as the sound became closer as the creature was chasing his prey. I scowered the area before me, endeavoring to pinpoint in what location the danger was heading. Before I could finalize the target, an object blurred toward me and sliced deep into my cheek. A flash of pain echoed throughout my face as I grasp the fresh wound. What the…?, I thought. My eyes shot down toward the encroaching beast and prey that were dashing right below me. The beast's eyes locked on me and flung more spines straight at me from his tail. Is my luck truly this bad?

I dashed to the limb below and barely escaped the jagged thorns that embedded themselves into the branch were I once sat. Grasping the bow around my torso, I pulled it up and taught in front of me. It’s that stupid Berre again! I drew an arrow from my pack and nocked it into place. However, the Berre was too swift and was already launching his next set of spines at my location. With the lack of sleep and nourishment, my reflexes were slowed and I was knocked back with the blow.

Four spines burrowed themselves deep into my shoulder, I yelped as the sharp sting resounded throughout my torso. I gripped the spines in my shoulder and yanked them out as blood and tissue were torn out with it. The Berre launched himself into the oak tree I was placed in, digging his razor claws into the bark. His yellow eyes, blood thirsty for my flesh as he began his assent towards his new target, me. Gheez, this beast does not give up!

My shoulder throbbing from the new wound, I attempted to nock my bow once more. This beast was climbing at an alarming rate, straight for me and my heart began to race with adrenaline. With trembling fingers, I gripped my weapon and placed the aim straight between his snarling eyes. The arrow released from its cradle and soared straight for the Berre, but with my trembling shoulder, it missed by inches. The Berre was now feet from me and my heart was vibrating throughout my core as I reached for another arrow, but the Berre was too quick and I ran out time before it reached me.

Its teeth salivating with excitement as it out-stretched its claws for my torso and it realized, it had won.

Light
05-04-15, 12:59 PM
Its claws embedded themselves deep into my calf as blood gushed out of the exposed skin. I screamed out in agony as it began to pull me down to my demise. I flailed for my dagger in my reaction and fumbled for the smooth handle and drew it from its prison. I could feel the hot breath of the Berre against my uncovered calf as it stretched its claw out for another blow.

I whipped the dagger up and brought it down with all the force I could muster. It sank straight into the Berres neck and blood spout out like a fountain of rubies. Fiery blood splattered all along my chest as the Berre cried out in torment. He swung at me in retaliation, barely missing the vital vein in my thigh, I swerved my leg and slammed it back into the creature’s head. He was knocked down three branches and I saw my moment to deliver the final blow. I pulled up my bow, nocked the arrow and took aim.

I inhaled sharply to steady my trembling heart and sank the aim in between the Berre’s eyes. I will not miss again, I thought as I released the arrow from my grasp and it whistled as it escaped the bow's cage. The beast had no time to react as the arrow immersed itself in its skull. The sound of impacting iron with bone resounded throughout the forest and the beast fell to its grave below with a loud thud. The adrenaline pulsating throughout my core began to diminish as I watched the gore that lay before me.

The creature it seemed to have been hunting seems to be long gone for I hear no rustling below me. It must have escaped i's death when the Berre caught whiff of me. The pain from my calf and shoulder starting to roar their fangs as my pulse slowed back to normalcy. Obscurity crept into the far corners of my eyes as exhaustion and pain rippled through me and I began to slip from the safety of my branch. I felt the air dancing around my skin as I watched the sky grow dimmer. Darkness was enveloping me as I felt the bite of the ground when I slammed into the hard surface. I couldn't help it anymore, the strain of this recent encounter was too much for me to handle and I let the somber feeling overtake me into its depths.

Silver and platinum hair bounced around Amra’s slight frame as she splashed the ice water all around herself. Giggling sung throughout the pale sky as she froliked around the water, attempting to make me wet with her antics.

“ Amra, so help me, if you get me wet..” I quiped at her. Before I could finish my sentence, a wave of bitter water surrounded itself around my torso. “EEK!” I yelped as the cold bit into my flesh.

“ Oh don’t be such a stickler! “ Amra laughed back. “You going to start to grow grey hair from this grumpiness .” She continued to giggle out as she played in the water some more. I could not help but grin at her youth as she played around in the days air. I envied her ability to be free from the normal constraints of the world we now live in. I shook off the excess water that dripped off my cotton teal dress.

“If you don’t come here and finish your studies, your mother will have my head” I quipped back at her. She decided the appropriate response back would be sticking out her tongue. This was one of those moments I cherish the most. Amra being her usual carefree self and taking me along on her upbeat outlook on life. . I wish this moment would last a lifetime, but as I was relishing in the sun and Amra’s youth the atmosphere suddenly changed. The air turned bleak and tight, the ground began to shake thunderously beneath our feet. The lush green forest, now turned charred and dismal.

“Amra! Take a hold of me!” I yelled as I reached out my hand to grasp her frail wrists. She just looked at me, the grin plastered on her face as if nothing was wrong and continued to play in the pond that flowed crimson. The ground began to rip apart, separating herself from me. “NO! Amra!!” I cried. “Please just take my hand, before it is too late!” Abruptly, her grin turned wicked and blood began to rain down from the sky.

“You already failed me Lilith. You left me in the puddle of my parents and did NOTHING!” She snarled. “You can’t protect me, you deserve the death of a coward! I am better off with that monster than ever being with you!” She whipped out with her vicious tone.

“I am sorry Amra! I can change, I promise. I just…can’t lose you again!” I wailed. “I will do anything to get back to you, now please, just take my hand!” I stretched my arm as far as I could. “ Please!” I cried. Tears began to mix with the blood that poured out of the sky as Amra laughed villainous.

“ Oh, Lilith. Poor Lilith.” Amra spat out. She strode toward her ledge that faced mine and snarked out “You are a disgrace to the Kaethar name and will pay for your failure’s to your family and to mine!” Amra clung to my outstretched hand and whispered her final words, “As you spilled the blood of my family, I share spill yours for all eternity.” She yanked my arm with a unfathomable force and plunged me into the everlasting darkness below.

Light
05-04-15, 08:53 PM
I snapped up from the nightmare that embedded itself into my core. Sweat pouring out of my flesh, heart speeding throughout my veins and my brain exploding from despair that wreaked havoc on my already exhausted body. The pain from my shoulder and calf throbbed through the..bandages?! I whipped my head around to see where I was, but my head was clogged with pulsating tension.

I peeked open my eyes to the surrounding area and I was able to discern I was in some form of cave. The air was thick and the surfaces were rough to the touch. I traced my fingers over the rocky texture, more ore. There was a small fire dispersing fine traces of orange light around the enclosure. I looked upon the walls and noticed crude elven drawing scattered throughout the cave. They seem to depict the arrival of the elven race to Althanas..

“You really should take it easy,” a velvet voice rang as I jumped through my skin. “You took quite a fall.” I grimaced as I remembered the 10 foot drop I suffered after fighting the Berre. I peeked over to the location of the voice and noticed a figure making his way towards me. He stood roughly 6ft 3inches with thick ginger hair whisping around to his shoulders. Deep set, piercing hazel eyes found their way to mine, and I inhaled sharply at the man that stood before me. His gaze petrified me to my spot and I found myself not breathing for a brief spout in time. “Do not worry, I am not here to hurt you. In fact, I thank you.”

“Huh?” I blurted out. His eyes danced around my silhouette and suddenly I felt naked before this stranger. He smirked at the baffled look upon my face.

“I apologize, where are my manners? My name is Damon Illhart. And you are?” a hint of humor fell upon his words. He outstretched his hand as if to shake it. All the words I have known seem to have made an escape from my mind as he continued to gaze upon me. “Oh, do you not speak the tongue?” He seemed quizzical about this notion and retracted his hand.

“I speak.” I mumbled out. “I just do not make it customary to interact so friendly towards people I do not know. “ Oh god, that was rude. What is wrong with me?

“ Be as that may, elf, I would like to thank you properly. I cannot hope to do that without so much as just your beautiful face.” He smirked out. I flashed heat under my cheeks as this odd man continued to wait for my reply.

“ Very well, sir. You may call me Lilith.” I grumbled out. I must be cautious of this human before me. I do not know the reaches of the Tel Megilindir and do not wish to spill my true name in case this man be loyal to the guard. Normal humans do not dwell into the forest unless to die, furthermore they do not do it alone.

“Just Lilith huh? Very well. “ his voice rang, “ I thank you then Lilith, for saving me from that monstrosity chasing me. I would surely have fallen to his reaches should you not have been present.” He flashed me a dazzling smile for with which I only returned with a stare. “You seem to have seen better days as well. How does an elf, such as yourself find herself, this deep into the woods?” he questioned.

Distract him Lilith, my subconscious yelled. “Shouldn't I be asking a human as to his intentions in this forest?” I spat back. He seemed to be somewhat taken back by my tone, I could see his eyes flash some hurt in them. “ I apologize, my manners are lacking these days. Your welcome, by the way. For your know, saving your life. You were quick to hide once he caught whiff of me, which by the way, I appreciate the help when he tried to kill me.” I saw the glimmer of a smile return to his lips at my sarcastic tone. “It seemed to have somewhat of a grudge. It was the same Berre that attacked me not three moon's ago” I muttered as I drew myself closer to fire in an attempt to gather warmth to my limbs.

“Well it is good to see you prevailed.” Damon uttered. “Hungry?” He reached around to his pack to produce a cooked rabbit. I instantly began to salivate at the sight of such succulent meat. I have not seen such food for some time and the sight before me seemed to be good to be true. I pondered slapping myself to wake me from the possible dream before me. “It is a bit old, but still good.” He tears off the leg and throws it my way. I begin to tear into the flesh like a rabid carnivore. “I will take your ferocious eating as a yes,” he gleamed his smile my way. “So, you never answered my question?”

“Would you understand if I said it’s complicated?” I prayed he would just let it lie and not press further into the matter. The grin plastered on his face told me otherwise. “I just need to get out of this cursed placed as quick as I can. That is all I am doing here and all I will indulge in this little therapy session we seem to be having,” I lifted my feet up and close to my chest as I hugged my body.

Trembling at the rage that seemed to fill me over this small conversation. I will admit, I was slightly embarrassed at my reactions towards this man, but I can trust no one currently. Saving my life or not, he is someone I do not know and knowing why I am here or why he is here will change nothing. He seemed to just laugh at my overreaction and the noise circled around the walls and fire as it escaped out towards the night sky.

“Well, you're an elf of little words Lilith. I can respect that. Should you truly wish to leave, I may know the path to freedom.” He prompted. “Now it is no cakewalk, but it does also lead in the direction I was heading. I think two crazy folks in these woods are better than one, eh?” His eyes danced at the notion he was requesting, urging me to say yes to this strange man was quite unbearable. Plus he was correct in the fact that two of us have a higher chance of survival than one.

Damon has provided food, shelter and a second pair of eyes with nothing in return. Normal humans do not ask for something without wanting more, don’t they? In what little human interaction I have encountered, they have all been selfish and somewhat vain, but this man seems to be different. `

“Suppose I accept coming with you, what do you get out of it?” I questioned him. “Humans do not what something for nothing. While I thank you for the shelter and first aid, I saved your life and you saved mine. Should you think you still owe me, the debt is paid in my eyes.” He seemed someone taken back by my frank candor and took a moment to respond.

“To be honest Lilith, I lost most of my men in this forest. I watched as their limbs were ripped apart, their insides spooned out by all manner of creatures and I suffered as they cried out for someone to save them. You are the first I have come upon that took down a beast with no..fear.” He seemed to hesitate, but continued with his tale. “I seek an ancient relic lost in these woods. I have met many men and women who spoke to me about it and I believe I know where to find it. My men and I sought this treasure with little aversion of the monsters that haunt these woods. As you may have noticed, we have all paid the price for our ignorance.”

His hazel eyes gleamed with tears before he hid his face from mine. “I can only request you assist me to the fork, I believe I will be able to get to the relic on my own from there, but your assistance in getting there would be more than its weight to get you out.” My heart slightly ached for this man. He understood some lose and his request seemed fair.

“Very well Damon. I will assist you to the fork...if you get me the hell out of here.” I thrust my hand in front of him. His little smirk flared again as he reached his hand out to meet mine. We shook hands to seal the deal.

"We have an accord than Miss Lilith.”

Light
05-06-15, 12:59 PM
~~~One day prior~~~

The penetrating cold air bit into my exposed skin and woke me from my slumber. My lethargic eyes slowly adjusting to the morning light that began to creep through the opening of the cave’s entrance. The amber light glistening of the dewed rocky texture of the walls as I began to awaken my hibernating limbs. How long had I been out? The night’s events were a blur of emotions and I am still sifting through them when Damon emerged from the morning’s air.

“Sleep well?” he asked while leaning down to put out the light warmth from the dwindling fire. “I was going to check your pulse to see if the night had taken you forever, but it seems my worries were in vain.” He flashed a smile with his snarky remark.

“Ha-ha” His antics were not amusing this early in the morning. I rubbed the remaining sleep from eyes, “How long was I asleep?”

“Oh, roughly 6 hours. You looked like you could use some rest.” He was right about that. This was the first night in a while my brain received a much needed signal boost recharge. I began to shift my arms and received a reminder of the Berre attack. Electric pain shot from my shoulder to my stomach, and I doubled over from the shock. “You should really take it easy. I am no healer and you are lucky I was able to scrounge up some poison remedy from one of my fallen comrades for your wounds. You would be no good to me dead.”

“Gee, your kindness knows no bounds.” I whipped back at him. I pulled off my light cloak and fastened myself a sling to support my aching shoulder. This would at least keep it from bouncy around as we make our way to the fork. Granted the fiery pain in my calf will just need to be endured for the time being.

“Feisty this morning, eh?” He scoffed back me. Damon began to collect our things around the cave as I (very carefully) began to stand and gather my things as well.

“Let’s be clear. We may have a deal on the table and you will always have my thanks for the care, but we are not friends.” I was tired, sore and Damon’s witty banter was something I did want to partake in. “How far a walk till we get to the fork?” I quickly interjected before he could provide a retort.

“About a two day walk from here should my sources be correct.” He rolled up the last of his pack in silence. There, that seemed to calm his sarcastic manners. Not that I enjoy being harsh to someone who saved my life and provided me with some much needed safety. However we were not on a vacation, this forest had some terrifying beasts in it and I do not want us to be distracted by pleasantries. “Here,” he drew out my bow behind a boulder’s safety. “You may want this.”

“Thank you.” I grasped the yew armament that has been my saving grace through my life. I slung it over my back and withdrew from the cave’s protection, light flashed in my eyes. The harsh gleam took a moment for my eyes to adjust to. Damon followed shortly after and we began our way towards my freedom from this place, our feet dragging along this makeshift, dusty trail.

My thoughts jumped to the nights events prior and Damon’s tale. An ancient relic in these woods is no mystery, this place is riddled with century old magic and devices. Granted the forest holds its trials with the beasts and rough terrain to any man that should decide to venture into it to find such lost items. My people used to travel these woods in search of these relics and many would not return. Damon seems to be dead set on finding this item and even sacrificed his own men in the effort. He did show signs of regret, but could I really put trust on him when he would be willing to do that to people he truly knew? I must keep my guard up until I can determine his loyalty to human life. Greed can changes a man’s perspective if it begins to consume his very being, and I have a feeling Damon’s soul may be tainted by the sin.

“What kind of relic are you searching for, may I ask?"

“Oh, are we sharing again? I was under the impression you solely wanted me to help guide you out of here and not bother with the talking?” He peered back at me with a glint of sarcasm on his lips.

“Maybe telling me more about your quest and who you are, I would be willing to warm up to telling you something about myself. Pending the question you ask of course.” I must be cautious about this Lilith. But I have read humans are more likely to open up when you also share items about yourself. I could always lie should he press into a subject I would not be willing to discuss. The important thing is to find what he seeks and if he is worth trusting.

“Well now that is more like it! Two days of silence may have caused me to die of boredom instead of a flesh eating monster. I cannot decide which would be worse.” He let out a laugh that vibrating the foliage around us. God he is loud. He could bring death to us swifter if he cannot control that boisterous laugh.

" You say you are here for an artifact, does this mean you are a scholar perhaps? Researcher? No, your demeanor alone does not scream highly educated..” He seemed to enjoy my comment for the sky erupted with the joy escaping from his lips.

“No, no, my dear Lilith. I am no scholar! Men tend to call me the Prevailer of Items Once Lost to these realms, but others call me a Seeker of Treasure. However I tend to see myself as someone who rescues lost items and sells them to the highest bidder.” He oozed of confidence as he spoke. So this man is a thief? My instincts have rung true, this man is tainted by greed and thus is someone willing to sacrifice others to obtain his true goal. I am no longer sure if I was lucky in stumbling upon this man in my moment of need, or if I just signed my own death warrant with the deal I struck with him.

Gods, help me.

Light
05-11-15, 09:58 AM
“So, in other words, you take what is not yours and give it to whom pays you the most?” I spat back. “How very noble of you.” My steel eyes flashed anger toward this man. My hand began to creep its way toward the hilt of my dagger.

“Hey darling, some of us have to make a living. But I do not steal from the living.” He turned around and faced me and I returned my hand to my side, “I only ‘steal’ things that are lost or no longer have a known owner. Stealing from the living is a messy business to be in and want no part in that. “ His face showed signs of sincerity with the low brown, soft eyes and relaxed jaw. No tension flashed on his face, no shifty eyes looking for their next line in a lie.

I relaxed a bit in my shoulders and rested my hand back at my side as I realized while he may be greedy, he does have some of a moral compass. He stopped walking and grasped my shoulders, “Lilith, I can see you have had a tough time and I respect you for being cautious with a strange man who swept you up from your fall. But I can assure you, I mean you no harm and I am a man who does have noble intentions when it comes down to nit and grity. You have my word as a gentleman.” His hands slacked and he released his hold on me. “ I only request you give a little faith to me in these woods. I am not asking you and I to become besties, just don’t throw a dagger in my back, alright?” His eyes locked onto mine and I could see his honesty pouring out of them.

“ Very well Damon. I promise to not throw a dagger in your back.” My lips curled up into a half smile at his speech. “ I do not trust people very easily, especially in the circumstances I find myself in these days. I admire your honesty with me and I will return with some faith that you will do me no harm. “ His face relaxed and was instantly morphed into a gleaming, white toothed smile. His eyes sparked and his laugh danced around the forest trees. While I may not know him, I do not sense danger from him. He has been nothing but kind to me and asked only for my help in these woods. Have a really grown so cold? Has the events from this past week turned me into this person? It is true, I have felt some form of a hole enveloping my soul since then. Small seeds of darkness that are trying to weave their tendrils and burrow thorns into my heart.

“You alright there?” Damon looked down at me, with concern etched on his face. I realized I had been just staring at him, slacked jaw and glazed over expression. I shook off the dreary look and flashed him a smile that did not touch my eyes.

“Yes, sorry. Its seems my thoughts have legs and are trying to escape me these days. So this ‘artifact’ you are search for, what exactly is it?” I wanted to change his focus and turn his piercing gaze from me.

“A dagger. An ancient weapon that has been told to have been around before us mere mortals.” His voice dripping with excitement as he began his tale. His hands inserted themselves into his jacket pocket and pulled out a leather bound book. Its scent wafted around the air as he swung it around as he continued, “ I have here, all my notes on the weapon and the tales from fellow Althanas on where to find it. It has been my greatest treasure find of my lifetime.” He voice sang with true excitement and his eyes sparked life as they met mine. I have never seen someone so enthusiastic about a myth. I will not lie, the item did peak my interest, a weapon back from the time gods walked our earth would spawn true power. My brain synapses began to tingle with interest as to the nature of the weapon.

“This dagger, why does it interest you so? What makes it so desirable?” The words just fell out of my mouth as if I could not control my own speech. His stimulated mood seemed to have some effect on me as well.

“Well Lilith, this dagger is said to slay any foe. Man or beast. No matter their strength or magical tenacities. Should they be struck or even nicked by the blade, their souls will be forever captured in the dagger!” I stopped, the blood drained from my face and my heart skipped a beat. Could this be true? A blade set forth to capture souls? Could something like this truly exist? My thoughts raced as I stood under the shade of the flaming oaks of the forest. I do not know if I should allow my heart to yearn for such mythical power. I could not lie and say having such a weapon would prove immensely useful in my own quest, but gaining it would require I possibly betray this man before. A man who saved me with little questions as to my predicament in this forest.
Could I do it? Could I sink to those depths in order to gain victory in my own revenge?

Yes, I could.

If it meant saving Amra, I would slaughter any man who stands in my way.

Revenge is like a ghost. It takes over every man it touches. Its thirst cannot be quenched until the last man standing has fallen.

Light
05-11-15, 12:51 PM
“The dagger is named ‘Dagger of Last Rites’. It has been known to once be wielded by the King of the Underworld himself. Legend has it that Hades would wield the dagger for only the unholy of people, ones corrupted or tainted by evil that it has consumed their very souls.” Damon spoke in hushed whisper as we rested by the rushing water falls. The refreshing air circled around us as we spoke of legends. The lush maroon forest wrapped around us in a protective cocoon, minimizing our voices and shielding us from foes.

“It is a dagger I have spent my whole life searching for, a weapon from the Gods. Gold from this prize alone would make me retire for the rest of my days. Or I could keep it and no man will ever dare defy me!” He eyes flashed wicked as he spouted on about his treasure. His fingers twitched with animation and his breath quickened with just the mere thought of this item. The fish began to jump in the stream besides us and the water splashed as it smacked against the boulders in its path. The sound seemed to smooth his excitement for his whole body relaxed and he turned his attention toward my reaction.

Truth is, I felt no emotion to his tale, I only absorbed what he was telling. Should this weapon truly exist, it would allow me to extract my revenge and punish the betrayers that left me to die. But at what cost? Surely this weapon came at price, all magic does. To remove ones soul and place into a weapon would take an enormous burden to the wielder. I am not sure Damon even cares about such burden, he only sees power or wealth with such a weapon, not the destruction it would leave behind should it fall into corrupted hands. I collected my thoughts in order to place words together to speak, “Your out here to search for a dagger once wielded by the Overload of the Underworld..? How are sure it is in here?”

“I see you need some convincing! Well, there is said to be a shrine to Hades located in this forest. When he left this land and joined the remaining gods, it has been said he left the dagger in his shrine. Considering I have been all over Althanas and this is one of the final shrines, I am sure it will be there.” He nodded his head in such assurance, the look of confidence splattered on his face. He pulled open the leather bound book and opened it. Flipping through pages of scribble and in comprehensive maps. The scent of decaying pages wafted throughout the air until he found the page he was looking for.

“My men and I have searched all over this forest and I think I finally located the shrine in this quadrant,” his finger pointed to upper left point of the forest. So I was close to getting of here, just two days walk and I would have been free. Granted, there is a good chance the poison would have immobilized me unless Damon hadn't done what he did. He was only giving me more information to find this dagger myself and I needed more information. I pulled the book from his grasp, “ Hey! Be careful! That book has lasted longer than any relationship I have had!” His hands flailed around trying to pull the book back.

I placed my hand in front of him, my other around the book. “Calm down. This book is mostly in Elfish and lucky for you, I am an elf.” The front of book had ‘Carad Taure’ on the cover, with traces of gold still laced in the lettering. It read ‘The Red Forest’ in Elf. The spine had creasing from being opened and closed for some time. “Where did you come by this book?” A human should not have access to a book of this age, let alone one with maps of our lands.

“I bought it off an elf about 5 years ago. They seemed to be down on their luck and offered it to me for a bargain.” Damon’s arms crossed in front of him. “Elfish or not, a map is a map. Also I can understand pictures, and the dagger is plastered on the 15th page and I paid someone to translate it for me.” He seemed so smug about what he came across on his own. I began to scan the book for more information, it had a lot about the Red Forest and the creatures one would find themselves against. Photos of ruins with scribbles of maps riddled the book. Someone must have risked a lot to get this book outlined, granted the Red Forest was not always home to the monsters that hunt in it now.

“Oh so this passage here about the forest being infested with creatures that are beyond a human’s means just seemed so useless to you, huh?” I spat back at him.

“Everyone knows this forest has beasts in it! Now that Poe has been eliminated, I have a higher chance of success in getting in here to retrieve it.” He glared through slitted eyes at me, seemingly mad that I questioned his intelligence. Which I am. Humans marching into these lands without regards to the wildlife, are just reckless!

“This book probably could have sparred more of your men’s lives should you got it properly translated!” My voice began to raise as my rage grew. “You got one page translated instead of the whole freaking book, which goes into more depth about the monsters here. You could have been better prepared or figured a better plan instead of marching in here, swords slashing!” I threw my hands up in frustration at the man that just killed his crew for not properly understanding what he was getting himself into. I seemed to have hit a nerve for his body tensed and he raised himself off his feet.

“You don’t know what you are talking about elf.” He ripped the book from my grasp and placed it back into his jacket. “We should keep moving, your little tantrum may have cost us our cover.” He retrieved his things and began to march forward with no regards to me scrambling to gather my things. I don’t think I will get the hang of speaking to humans, they seem so barbaric in their ways. Who goes trampling through this forest with pretty much a ‘how to guide’, and not take the time and coin to properly translate it? He does seem to be sympathetic about his men however and I regret my comments. I pick up my bow and race back toward Damon who is charging straight ahead.

“Look I am sorry Damon. You are right, I was not there and I should not make assumptions. I would really appreciate seeing the book and getting it translated for you. Therefore, you have no further surprises when we depart from each other?” Gaining the book will allow me to read further into this dagger and plan my escape with it to retrieve the dagger myself. He refused to look back at me as he pulled the book and handed it back to me.

“Very well, Elf. Translate away. But once we get to the fork, we go our separate ways, got it?” His whole attitude seemed to be much colder. Seems I may have overstepped my word choice with him earlier. No matter, I plan to separate myself from Damon sooner than the fork.

“No problem there Damon.” I opened the book and began to read as I plotted my departure. The thorns of darkness seemed to grip slightly harder around my heart as we continued forward.

Light
05-12-15, 11:49 AM
The coral and orange colors beamed across the sky. So radiant, it was as if a painted portrait of the perfect sunset, and not one I was witnessing before me. I could not help but stare at it as we settled in for the night, lost in tranquility at the scene before me. The chill of the air weaved around my torso and intertwined in my crystal blonde hair, swinging it around with it. I pulled my arms around my waist and brought them close for some warmth. I have always liked the bit of the cold air, it always seemed to awaken my senses and clear my head from the tantalizing thoughts that settle within it.

My plan has been set and I would be leaving tonight to capture the treasure Damon seeks. He has been kind to me as we marched through this forest, but I have no need for friends. I have never seen myself as one to seek power in order to gain an advantage, however times have changed and I have people depending on me. I hope one day he will understand my need and allow me to make up for my sins to him.

The book was fascinating in its details about this place. I have been able to decipher the maps and scribble writings that were within its pages and I mapped out the shrine with an exit from this place. I now must wait for Damon to go to sleep and I will make for my departure, granted night traveling in these woods has its own set of troubles that I must face to gain my lead.

I leave my thoughts behind and head down to the make shift fort Damon has constructed out of logs with a strong fire blazing in the center. He was roasting some form of a bird over it and the smell licked around my nostrils as it cooked. I pulled my small vial of poison and my arrows as I carefully began to saturate them in the toxin for the journey ahead.

We barely spoke as the meat continued to cook, Damon’s face was unreadable. The tension was thick between us, heavy even. I tried to read his movements as he removed the bird from the stick and whipped out his utility knife to carve the meat for us. His muscles were tensed and his body stiff with his actions, I could honestly not tell if he wished the bird’s body was mine as he hacked into it. The thought made me constrict my body and verify where my bow was. Good within quick reach.

“Eat up, we have a long walk to the fork tomorrow and I do not want to have to carry you.” Damon voice was harsh, not the playful ring I have heard the previous night. He tossed the roasted meat my way and pulled his portion to his mouth and tore into the flesh. The juices squirted out of the leg as he ripped into it again, no expression on his face. While I may not know this man that much, the lack of sarcastic banter from him does concern me. I do not want him to keep a close eye on me tonight, I must try and lighten the mood.

“This is good. The meat, I mean. I am slightly impressed with your cooking skills Damon.” My voice light and sincere as I bit into the moist meal before me. Damon only responded with a grunt at my comment. “ I see this will be more difficult.. “No really. My cooking skills are pretty much nonexistent, so I appreciate what your made for us tonight. Should I have done it, the bird would have been on fire and burnt to a crisp, or still clucking around since it would have been so raw.”

My feeble attempt at humor seemed to break just a bit of the ice around his expression for a trace of smile glinted at the corners of his lips. My body lessened its constricted muscles as I realized this sour mood of his could be broken.

“Amra, my sister, used to say that I should never be allowed in the kitchen. I was made more for the battlefield than setting things over stoves. One time, I wanted to make a birthday cake for her. I had it all planned out, the recipe and frosting colors, the works.” Damon’s eyes moved toward me and his body began to release some tension as I continued. “Apparently, measurements for cakes need to be more precise and I must have added too much flour or yeast. About 15 minutes in the oven, it began to overflow out of the bin! The whole thing was a nightmare blob creeping its way out of the oven!”

A smile snuck its way into the tips of lips as I recalled the memory, Damon’s face never left mine. “ I even grabbed my dagger and tried to stab the thing to deflate it.” I made the motion with my dagger of impaling this cake blob as I continued, “Amra runs in to finds me covered in baking ingredients and her cake exploding from the oven. She just stopped and rolled around on the flooring, grabbing her waist from laughter.” The smile grew larger as I remember the look on her face at the concoction I created. “After that incident, I was never allowed in the kitchen again. Amra still loved to rub it my face from time to time though.”

I placed my dagger back in its sheath as I wiped the tears that came down my face at this memory. I looked up to see Damon with a large grin on his face and I couldn't help it, I began to laugh. It started small and began to rippled its way throughout me as the thought of a cake blob attacking came into my mind. Damon joined into the laughter at my tale of my cooking experience and we soon found ourselves grasping our sides in pain from the joyous emotion. While the tears were still present, the joy from this moment lessened the pit in my stomach from losing her. It felt good to laugh, if even only for a brief moment.

“It is good to see a smile on your face Lilith. I was beginning to wonder if your face was permanently molded into a scorn.” The light that sparked from his eyes was enough to let me know he was back to his usual arrogant self. He rested back onto his elbows and feet out in front of him as he peered up into the shadowy sky. “So, a sister huh? I pegged you for more of the loner type.” His lips pursed as the thought fluttered across his mind. The residual laughter hanging in the air as we just sat together, gazing upon the stars.

“She is one of the reasons I am out here.” My focus on the stars as the words escaped out of my mouth. “She needs my help, but I am not strong enough to save her.” My hands gripped the dirt in-between my fingers and the cold earth pressed against my palms. “I just watched as they took her, and I did nothing but sit idling by as they took her innocence. The forest is my test, to prove to her that I will not fail her again.” The hole inside me began to swell and apply pressure to my chest cavity as the words I have dared not speak began to pour out. I do not know if it was due to the fact I will never see him again, or if the secret was just fighting to be free from my lips. I dreaded looking at Damon, my eyes kept their target on the night’s sky, “I am no more than a mere coward, fighting for redemption.”

I felt the warmth of flesh against my top of my right hand and my eyes flashed to my side. Damon was beside me, his touch hand enveloped around mine. He said nothing, but laid back on his hands and watched the glittering stars before us. A smile found its way across my face at the sentiment of just feeling comforted by someone, it is a feeling I have missed. We continued to sit under the protection of the vision that surround the sky for an immeasurable amount of time. Eventually I felt Damon’s eyes close as the sleep took him into their grasp and I wiggled my hand free from its prison. He looked so peaceful next to the dwindling fire, a face of a young boy not covered by the mask of cynicism. I quietly grabbed my equipment and took one last look at the man before me and a twinge of sadness flowed throughout me as this will be the last of our time together. But Amra comes first and one day I hope he will understand.

I rested the bow in front of my body as I escaped into the darkness before me.
Betrayal quick on my heels.

Light
05-12-15, 01:39 PM
-----Day Zero-----

I was about 4 miles from the fork, if the depiction on this map was correct. There is no signature from the scholar that completed this publication, so I cannot fully trust the information in it. It has not be wrong as of yet though and I can feel the excitement tingling around my limbs in anticipation. I carefully closed the book and placed in my bag around my belt. Dawn has just started to glimmer its array of colors across the sky as I made my way to the next location. Mapping using the stars was a skill I have not exercised in some time and it may have caused a bit of delay on my head start.

The thought of Damon waking to find me not there, nor his book, plagues my consciousness. Guilt lurks in the corners of my heart as my mind envisions the look on his face. I shake the feeling from my mind as I move my focus to the task currently at hand. This deep into the forest spouts creatures more dangerous that I have faced currently, and my grip on my bow gets a little tighter and I press onward.

I can see the scenery is a bit different than other parts of the wood lands I have seen, perhaps the earth is finally starting to heal now that Pode has been vanquished. The leaves are starting to lose their vibrant maroon colors and the bark, once blacken by the curse, has begun to lighten to its surroundings. This forest has been told to once be the place of beauty and serenity for the Elves, I will be hopeful to see this forest return to the exquisiteness it once was.

The air was quiet without the heavy footsteps of Damon trudging ahead of mine. Though he scolded me about speaking loudly when we were by the falls, he did not understand walking silently. I could have heard of him from 100 feet away the way he barged throughout this forest. A trace of a smile danced around my lips at the thought of Damon trying to walk gracefully. The image alone would bring laughter to my insides.

About an hour passed when I reached the final marker, a bear shaped rock. Removing the leather textbook from my bag, I flipped through the pages as I rested under the shade of the bear’s torso until I found the last set of directions to the fork. Looks like I head northeast for 100 paces then turn east until we reach the fork beside the fruit bearing trees. It is noted the scent of fresh apples should permeate the air when I get close.

I snapped the book shut as I pulled my canteen out to alleviate the thirst gripping at the inside of my throat. My ears perked toward a sound heading from the south, the direction I just emerged from. My head turned in time to see silver blade slicing straight for my location, I snapped my head to the left and watched the blade zip past my face and cut through a portion of my hair before it embedded itself into the trunk beside me. The trunk exploded with bark from the impact of the blade. I see, an enchanted blade for added strength so the enemy is impaled into the surroundings, trapping its victims to the spot. Also, causing severe bone breaking pain to the impaired. But before I could react, a second blade made its way toward me. It struck me directly into my thigh and flung my weight back onto the ground.

A vibrating sensation traveled up from my leg as the blade sunk into my very bone, excruciating pain escaped from my nerves as my hands flashed to remove the cause of it. My hand grasped the handle and yanked the source out from my thigh, blood poured out of the wound as my cries echoed along the trees. The blow back from hitting the ground and the electrical stabs of pain disoriented me as I fumbled around for something to stop the bleeding. I reached around into my pouch and pulled a small scrap of a bandage and quickly wrapped it around the wound and tied it tight.

The pull from the bandage on the fresh penetration caused me to double over in pain. I slowly pulled my head up to the familiar sound of heavy footsteps approaching me. The image of the person approaching was somewhat blurred as my consciousness was settling back down from the blow. A sharp pain erupted from my scalp as the person clutched my hair and dragged me up to my feet.

“Well what do we have here?” The smooth velvet voice dripping with disdain, “ A little elf traitor perhaps?”

Damon! My thoughts screamed. How did he find me so fast? “Damon, it’s not what you think!” I exclaimed. My scalp throbbing from the tension he was excurting on it from his grasp on my hair. “My intention was to..”

“Steal from me I see.” He spat back at me as he flung me down onto the ground with force. “You know Lilith, I thought we were having a moment back there. But I see it was all a bunch of tricks to gain my trust to steal my prize.” A malicious tine dripped from his words as paced in front of me. He removed another dagger from his sides and flipped in his hands as he knelt before me. “You know I consider myself an honest man Lilith, and betrayal, does not sit well with me. Not. One. Bit.” He caressed the knife against the flesh of my throat as he spoke the last three words. My lips began to quiver in fear and cold slipped its way throughout my limbs.

“ I never wanted to hurt you. I swear.” My tone tense and soft. I slowly began to inch my fingers toward my bow, “But saving my sister is more important. You knew how to get out of this forest and I knew you would be safe.” Just a few more inches.. “If the daggers do exist, I need them. Please. You have to understand, it was nothing personal. “ He backhanded my face and the blow whipped my head to the left as my jaw popped from the impact.

“Lies. That is all the drips from your cowardly mouth.” He stood and began pacing back and forth in front me, “But the question is, what to do with you? Kill you here, or let the beasts take you. Granted, losing something so fine would be a waste.” His eyes flashed lust as he looked down toward me. My fingers finally found the edge of my bow, I cowered my body towards it so as to hide it from Damon.

I heard his foots steps approach me and kneel before me, his hot breath beating against my neck. “Maybe just a small taste of the traitor perhaps?” He tongue traced along the side of my neck and his hand found its way toward my petite breasts. Just a few more seconds, Lilith. Just let him think he won. He gripped tightly around my breasts as he laid down his blade so his other hand could make its way toward my buckle. I firmly grabbed the cradle of my bow as Damon continued his venture toward my defilement.

3….2….1.
Time's up.

Light
05-13-15, 12:54 PM
Damon’s nose burst raindrops of crimson as the shaft of my bow made contact with it. The sound of bones cracking resounded in the breeze around us as Damon reached up to the cause of pain. He fell back onto his back as the blood continued to flow out of his nose and tears welled into his eyes from the discomfort I heaved myself up onto one knee and grabbed an arrow from its quiver on my back. Nocking it into place, while lining the sights for Damon’s heart.

“Make one move and this arrow will be the last thing you see before your life… is mine.” My voice harsh as I held the bowstring taught in my grasp. His true colors finally revealing themselves during this encounter. He almost fooled me into thinking he was a gentleman, a man who may have greed in his heart, but not evil. Yet, here we stand...my arrow set to rip through his chest, his face smeared with blood and our eyes locked into a cold dead stare. That night under the stars was no more than another mask this man puts on, another lie. Seems I still do not understand the darkness that dwells in the hearts of men.

My heartbeat was calm as I held the arrow in place, my breath steady and mind at ease. “So you steal my book, treasure and now my life?” Damon spoke as he began to shift up to his knees to face me.
“You are no coward Lilith. A coward would not have the balls to face their enemy as you take their last breath.” Damon’s eyes held nothing more than pit-less holes inside them. Void of all emotion and life.

“You are, instead, a widow spider. While harmless looking at first, the moment your guard is down, she will take all you hold dear…including your very soul. I pity the next fool who falls into your web as I have done.” His fists balled and tense at his sides as he spoke, “Your sister being taken is merely the effects of your poison you inject into the lives you consume. Everything a black widow touches, wilts. Enjoy your life of solitude little spider.” His last words dripped with such venom, my teeth clenched as they oozed out of his mouth.

“Those will be the last words of a dying man? Ones of hate and cruelty? To think you a man of honor was a fault of my own doing.” My voice harsh and callous, “You will die for the men you lured into these woods to feed your greed, a coward and a monster.” My fingers began to release the arrow as Damon whipped his hand towards me and discharged dirt he had being hiding into my line of vision. The earth buried itself into my eyes and my arrow flung to the far left, missing its intended target. I felt a hard kick make contact with my abdomen and my bow snatched from my grasp as I knelt over in pain.

“I will not be the one dying here Elf.” Damon unsheathed his great sword from its cage as the distinct sound of metal rang through the air. He placed it at the base of my neck and pulled his arms above his head for the death strike. “Any last words, widow?”

“Just one.” My hand held the dagger he flung at my thigh earlier and I snapped it back down onto his toe. The blade sliced right through his leather boots and into the soft skin below. His shriek escaped his lips from the agony of the blade embedding into his foot. This was it, my last shot to end him. He was pinned in place and with my leg wound, escape was not an option. I had to use it. The last few days have allowed me to gather enough energy to summon it and it was my last option. I rolled away from him and leapt onto my feet, the shock from my thigh wound resounded throughout my core.

As Damon knelt down to remove the weapon from his shoe, I grabbed onto my dagger hidden in my boot and made a small incision on my finger. I clasped my hands together as the life force began to drain out of the wound. I started to weave the incantation and spoke the summon. “arcane pilin', amin yala lle” A burst of energy surged around my body and beams of white and fuchsia erupted from my hands and they began to take form. My eyes clamped shut to avoid the sting of the rays and to focus on the shape I needed. The intense burn from the application caused Damon to fall back onto his back and his eyes squint. Wind began to gusted around the two of use as I pulled the life from the Tap into the tips of my fingers.

The raw power of arcane magic weaving into the ornate limbs of a bow, power surging as it continued to entwine into an arrow. The arrow’s spine shaping into a spiral like body, with a pronged tip aiming straight ahead at its target. The burn from the strength of the arcane shot rippled throughout my finger tips and I pulled the energy tight. Damon’s gaze horrified as this magic lay that before him, ready to steal his last breathe.

My eyes snapped open as I felt the power stabilize in my hands and fierce determination took a hold of my face. A small smile spread across my lips as I felt the familiar pull from my magic running through my circuits. I placed my aim for the center of my target, “Ripa pilin'. Lotesse lle aim be true.” (Fly my arrow. Let your aim be true) I released the arcane arrow from its holding position and the condensed power broke free with a loud crack as the ground erupted in its path. Damon flung his hands up to attempt to shield the impact of the incoming blow as it shot straight for him.

A thunderous sound exploded as it hit its intended target, the glow wrapping around the enemy as the sting of the shot penetrated into the very core of Damon. The scream from his throat released and was lost into the wind that swirled around us. Soon the ground was quiet as the last ounce of life was drained from him. Out of breathe, I dropped to the ground on my hands and knees, inhaling sharply to gather the air around me. The blood from my enemy began to puddle around my fingers as I stared at the reflection that looked back at me. Death and terror bore through my eyes as I stared back at the image in the blood. Those are not the eyes I remember seeing back in New Aurient, ones that were once full of fear and innocence.

Perhaps Damon is right on who I am becoming. A black widow. No. A killer.

I slowly pulled my head up…when dread gripped the edges of consciousness.

Fifteen paces in front me was a Draug, a wolf hybrid beast that dwells in this forest. A menacing foe with super speed, strength and knack for trapping its prey in its powerful jaws. It must have heard the commotion from my encounter with Damon and came to inspect.

Its yellow eyes piercing into my very existence with a salacious grin of razor teeth ready to devour my flesh.

**Thump…thump...thump**

Light
05-13-15, 04:29 PM
My heart beat pounded against my chest cavity as I locked eyes with the Baurg that opposed me. The ebony and white fur of the wolf churned against each other along its body, and its massive paws lined with devastating claws ready to capture its prey. Sweat glistened off my forehead and dropped onto the ground before me as adrenaline began to pulsate from my cerebrum to my limbs. With gold eyes never leaving me the wolf changed his stance, his paws placed forward with his spine elongated and all the weight placed onto its heels. It was getting ready to launch itself at me and I could barely walk, let alone fight. I slowly picked up my knife from the dirt and gripped onto the handle tightly as I began to stand. The Baurg responded with high pitched howl into the air, shivers ran down my spine at the sound.

My eyes flickered toward where Damon lay and my bow several feet from where I now stand. I picked my boot up and began to inch my way toward that location, gently, since my injured leg could barely hold my weight. The Baurg tensed up to my movement and matched my pace but in the opposite direction, almost like a dance. My eyes locked on the wolf I did not notice the tree branch to my left foot and I stepped directly onto its sticks.

A loud snap rang in the air as my foot crushed the connection between stick and branch, the wolf snarled and launched himself right at me. Rocks where swept up with the force of his launch at me and the ground seemed to shake as his paws hammered into the earth. Its speed was incredible, within 5 bounds, the wolf was face to face with me, its hot breath spewing out of its mouth. I turned to dodge the beast, but stumbled on my injured leg and tumbled to the ground, my knife ejecting from my grasp.

It hurled itself in one leap on top of my torso and snapped its jaws down upon me. I flung my arm up and my forearm met with the Baurgs throat, holding back the creatures ragged fangs as it was chomping down onto my face with all of its might. The force he was pushing down to taste my flesh was immense and my free hand failed for a weapon of any sort. I could feel the sticky wind from his mouth on my throat as it continued to inch closer to my death.

My hand found a smooth, heavy object and I picked up and bashed it down onto the Baurg’s head as hard as I could. It seemed to have no effect on it! My fluttering heart was beating quicker than a hummingbird wings as I tried with all my might to bring the rock down again and again.

I eventually made contact with one of its eyes and the beast yelped and threw back his head. I scrambled out from underneath it on my hands and knees as I raced toward Damon’s lifeless corpse. I just needed to reach for a blade or my bow…just a few more inches. My hand laid out in front of me as I stretched my arm out to cling to my savior.

The beast recovered quicker than expected and a blinding pain resounded in my shoulder as it sank deep into my somewhat healed shoulder. Arterial splatter spewed out into the sky as it tore into my flesh. Screams erupted from my mouth as the pain crimpled me to the spot, the beast flung me as I cracked into the tree a few feet away. I slammed into the hardy oak with a loud ‘thud’ as my body’s force met with the steadiness of its. I crumpled to the ground on my stomach as the beast paced in front of me.

It was deciding on how to kill me.

As darkness began to lurk at the corners of my consciousness, Amra’s face salved in front of me and chased the twilight from my eyes. The monster leaned onto his hind legs again as he prepared his next attack. The distinct crack from the ground as it made it move toward me danced in the air. I was waiting for it to make its leap.

I hurdled out of its line of attack and landed by Damon’s body. My hand clasped around the hilt of his sword as the beast changed pursuit and halted in front of me. It stood roughly 6ft 5 inches and its muscle mass was extensive. Burgundy blood flowed out of my open wounds freely and I realized I was going to die, but I will be taking this beast with me. My hands clasped firmly around the swords ornate handle, blood trailed down my arm and saturated the handle. It was heavy and I knew I would not be able to swing it with my shoulder injury. But I just needed the wolf to launch himself at me, just one…more…time.

“Come and claim your meal, beast!” I screamed at the Baurg. He cocked back its ears and catapulted itself at me for its final blow.

Light
05-13-15, 05:08 PM
Warm, sticky fluid sprayed down onto my face like droplets of heavy rain as the blade sunk into the chest cavity of the Baurg. The force from his leap threw me back onto my head as we made contact with each other. My grip on the sword was ripped apart as I tumbled backward and crashed into the boulder behind me. The wails of the wolf echoed along the tree line as its life force was cascaded out of its protective cocoon. Crimson liquid seeped out of the new gash on my forehead as I slowly pulled my upper body to look at the creature. It was still failing around in agony at the villain that was plunged into his chest. I crawled toward my bow and laced my fingers around the limbs and inched it toward me. I reached my arm around to my back and plucked the last arrow from my quiver. The wolfs cries will bring more monsters, and I must silence it now.

I muster all the strength I could to get onto my knees. Blood pouring out of my shoulder and head as I pulled the bow up to my abdomen. Shakily I pull the arrow to the bows cradle and nock it into place with a click. I pull the string tight as pain exploded in my shoulder, I must make this quick…I cannot hold this long. With wavering arms, I set the aim for the Baurgs head and held my breath as I release the arrow from its capture. The arrow flew straight and collided with the wolf’s head, it dropped dead in it tracks with a thunderous slam. I dropped to my hands as pain took me over and began to run rampant in my core. My hands clenched the earth in front of me while tears sprung from me eyes like a broken dam. A scream I have been silencing erupted from my throat as the adrenaline began to weaken in my veins.

I moved onto my back and stared into the ominous clouds that devoured the innocent blue sky. Cool water splashed onto my face as the clouds began to release their sadness onto the world. A faint smile danced on the edges of my lips as I laughed at the irony of my fate. Blinded by revenge and consumed by sorrow, I picked a path my enemy would. What a fitting end?

The rain began a steady pounding around me as the darkness began to move into my vision. I soon heard Amra's voice singing my favorite melody, one I would beg her to sing to me when I was plagued by my dreams. I opened my mouth to join her in song:

A storm is loosed upon the sea

Whose eye is stained with tears.

A wretch Hell-bound and bent on blood,

the makings of the fearful's fears

The tide it stole away her grace,

the depths, they wouldn't claim her.

A toil begat by father's blood

This path was laid before her.

Redemption borne by brigand’s blood

A blight upon the darkness.

The pact embraced, a road unsought

The Maiden of Death won't be unwrought.

Her wrath is known throughout the black,

the gardens of death she is tending

Vengeance is her only ward

Beware the blood red rose's thorn

A final tear escaped its prison as I closed my eyes and waited for Death to take his prize down to Hell with him.

Out of Character: Listen to the Lilith's song here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hosCuzo6JKo

Rayleigh
05-24-15, 10:53 AM
Hello! I had the pleasure of judging your first thread here on Althanas! It was an absolute blast to read, and really quite good for a first piece. If you have any questions at all about my judgement, please do not hesitate to find me in chat or shoot me a private message.

Thread Title: The Dance With Death (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?29408-The-Dance-With-Death-(SOLO))
Judgement Type: Basic
Participant(s): Light

Strengths

First and foremost, I want to commend you on your excellent use of action in this story. The initial skirmish with the wolf in the first post was incredibly well done, and the face-off with the Berre in the second post kept me engaged the entire time. You did a really nice job of balancing the action itself with description and reactions from your character, keeping it from reading as a list: I did this, the Berre did that, I did this, etc. I also want to take a moment to praise you for allowing your character to take hits. Multiple times throughout your story, your character was bit, cut, or mauled, and it made everything so much more realistic. Many writers refuse to let their characters take damage, so nicely done!

For the most part, your story flowed very well. I attribute that, in part, to the excellent communication between your characters, especially in posts five and six. The conversations presented the reader with a lot of information, but helped them process it through witty, well-written dialogue. Your characters stay true to their own personas, and experience a wide array of emotions in a short period of time: anger at Damon's questions, curiosity at his offer to join him, and sadness at the memories of times passed. It can be a daunting task, putting your characters through such an emotional roller coaster without being too jarring for the reader, but you do a very nice job. Except for a single instance, which I will expand on in a moment, your two characters, and their interactions, were fantastic.

My favorite thing about this story was the ease with which I was able to get sucked in. From the start, I found myself completely engrossed. Your vivid imagery brought the story alive. I especially loved the changing scenery of Lilith's dream in post three. You do an excellent job of painting your reader a picture of what your character is experiencing. This is an element of writing that can be difficult to master, but you have a great foundation. You could strengthen this ability further by referencing your setting more often. It is great to dedicate a paragraph here and there to setting, but when your incorporate elements throughout, your reader will stay right with your character the entire time.

Weaknesses

My first suggestion involves punctuation and word choice. When it comes to punctuation, I can tell that you have a good handle on when to use each type. There were a few mistakes, such as an extra apostrophe in post one (eye's instead of eyes), and an extra period in post three. I also noticed that you rarely used a comma before addressing someone. Remember, if your character is saying something to someone, there should be a comma before it.

"I am slightly impressed with your cooking skills Damon."
will become
"I am slightly impressed with your cooking skills, Damon."
This helps the reader know that the person's name is not a part of the sentence itself, but instead, that he or she is being addressed. The example my teacher always taught me was "Time to eat Grandpa" and "Time to eat, Grandpa." It really changes the whole tone! There were also a few spelling/word choice issues. You mentioned Lilith's "steady breathe" in the first post, which could have been a spelling error (breath instead of breathe) or a word choice problem. You also used the wrong "your" and "then" in post four. These issues were not overwhelming, but there were enough that overall clarity was affected. These issues are not caught by spell check, so be sure to proofread before submitting threads for judgement!

A second thing that you struggled with a bit was tense changes. Tense changes can be difficult, especially when writing about flashbacks. Sometimes, writers use tense changes as a writing technique, but this requires incredible skill and attention to detail. Throughout your story, I think you may have just slipped into present tense accidentally. I have found that this is easy to do when writing in first person, so know that you're not the only one who makes this mistake! In the first post, you wrote "nor do I dare," rather than "nor did I dare." You also used "have" instead of "had" in posts two and eight. There were other instances, but these are just a few to give you some idea. Try to keep tense in mind while writing, and double-check for it during your proofreading. I have noticed that reading aloud helps me with tense, because if it sounds strange when I say it, it is probably wrong.

My third comment is more rooted in opinion than the first two, but it is something that I would still encourage you to keep in mind. As I mentioned above, I thought that you did a great job writing your two characters. However, I did feel that Damon's sudden transformation in post nine was a bit too dramatic. I understand that he was angry, and that he felt betrayed, but the sexual advance seemed entirely out of character. It was jarring, and I found myself re-reading that post more than any other in the entire thread. My advice would be to make the change more gradual by dropping hints about his true nature. To an extent, you do this in earlier posts by referencing the death of his men. I also recognize that Lilith did not know his true nature either. But giving your readers a bit more insight will make them feel more in the loop. Sometimes, that can actually be a powerful tool. Share some of his more perverted, violent thoughts with your readers, but make it clear that Lilith is entirely unaware. This dramatic irony can add a sort of urgency; they're just waiting for something to happen to your unsuspecting hero. Just something to think about for your next story!

Light receives 900 EXP and 150 GP

Lye
06-07-15, 05:32 PM
EXP & GP Added!