PDA

View Full Version : Besieged

The Valkyrie
10-22-06, 10:07 AM
((This is the main thread of the Siege FQ - It will be run by myself, Izvilvin, and hopefully Ira Shinkara))

Somewhere in the Zaileya Mountains...

"We fly at dusk," her voice rasped like the scales of a serpent across the ancient sand of the desert, "Are the Cultists ready to join us there?"

Rava Featherblood preened herself in a cracked floorlength mirror that had been a gift from Jathar at the time she agreed to join his attack on Irrakam. Anything to take that bitch who called herself Jya down and attempt to take her place. The mirror had belonged to the last Jya the Sun-worshippers had assassinated and was a royal gift indeed.

"Yes your majesty, they have successfully crossed Nirrakal and lost only a handful of their ranks, the rest have come downriver and are massed on their barges around the island," her handmaiden explained, trying to sneak a glance of herself in her majesty's mirror. The ancient harpy-queen backhanded the girl across the face, sending her staggering back, wings flexing as she struggled to maintain her balance.

"You're hideous Misa, don't bother looking," Rava hissed at her, rising from her stool and stalking away.

On a barge floating up the River Attireyi...

"And you are certain we have the alliance of Rava Featherblood and her harpies?" Jathar Askelis whispered, although they were still miles from the city.

"Yes sir," his general answered shortly as he surveyed the troops that stood shoulder to shoulder before him, sweating in the heat of the setting sun as they stifled in their armor.

"Then may Mitra protect as we bring down the rule of Jya over the city of Irrakam," Jathar replied, closing his eyes against the sun, his smile making him look like a cat who just spotted its prey.

Within Jya's Keep, in her private chambers...

Bryn sipped the chilled fruit juice as she relaxed on the divan across from the Jya, her blissful smile replaced with a concerned frown. The Jya's brilliant blue eyes were deadly serious as she told the Valkyrie what she expected within only a few hours.

"But..." she stammered, watching her four year old daughter playing happily with Jya's kittens, "There are no signs of attack - wouldn't we see them massing around the island at least?"

"Trust me child," Jya assured her, pulling Astrid into her lap and stroking the child's chestnut curls with a distracted expression, "They're already on their way."

Closing her eyes against the thought of what this meant, the Valkyrie stood and smoothed the pale blue linen of her tunica down before looking at the Jya and then at her daughter. She trusted Jya to keep her daughter safe, but who would keep Jya safe?

"I'll go prepare myself," she said.

Jya simply nodded with a knowning smile as Bryn dismissed herself to go and don the armor and weapons she'd not put on in four years. It was time.

Izvilvin
10-22-06, 10:15 AM
In a room not far from the Jya's own, Izvilvin sat and looked out his window. The sun was getting low in the sky and the air was growing cool, though the heavy humidity of the desert still hung. His vision was unfocused as his mind slowly went over the events of the past day or two. Laix and Palmer were dead, slain by the wizard, Sasarai, who'd betrayed the Jya and the people of the Keep in order to obtain a staff that could melt adamantine. What he wanted with such a thing, the Drow didn't know.

Life had been different since his two friends had been killed, but it was eerily similar to how things had been before he'd come to Fallien under Step's orders. Izvilvin was used to solitude, even though he'd grown accustomed to the life he'd been living.

It was all very painful to him, but the Drow knew he'd survive. His friends had been important, but after all, even if they'd lived to a hundred, they'd have died centuries before him. This was a feeling he was going to need to get used to, if the Drow intended on having allies.

The truth of it, though, didn't make Laix and Palmer's death any less painful. He sighed and lay back in his bed, not knowing what to do. The Jya had told him about what was coming, but knowing how well Izvilvin worked on the fly, refused to allow him into her main room to discuss the plans.

He wasn't sure how to feel about it, but knowing Ira was inside speaking with the Jya made him feel a bit more secure. She was a swift one, that Calerian, and any plan she contributed to was one he could support. All he needed was a target, and his role would be filled.

Iriah Caitrak
10-22-06, 02:43 PM
The Calerian home of Astaka, two days ago

Ira leaned back against the still cooling sand as she watched all the stars begin to emerge in the darkening sky. It was a peaceful night. A gentle wind was blowing in from a cross the ocean and carrying with it cooler temperatures that Ira had not felt in a while. It had been an extremely hot and dry season, but then, one could say that every season in the desert was hot and dry.

Restlessness kept her up this night. She didn’t know what it was but she couldn’t sleep. Perhaps it was the toll of all the events that had happened before finally catching up with her. Or perhaps it was just a mind that did not wish for that blissful nothingness of sleep. Either way she had a feeling she’d be getting very little of it tonight and for some reason wasn’t bothered by it. The stars could keep her company for now and help her sort through her myriad of thoughts. Being the new Ambassador for the Calerian tribe to Jya was a different experience and sometimes kept her away from home for quite a while. Not to mention it limited her travelling abilities around Althanas.

“Ira? You’re not sleeping?”

Smiling at the familiar voice, Ira turned in her sitting position and looked behind her to find Gereint walking towards her with a worried expression upon his withered and wrinkly old features.

Her smile faded, she couldn’t remember the last time he ever looked like that, “What’s wrong?”

“I’ve just spoken with The Jya.”

“What? Right now?”

She quickly scrambled up from the sand.

“Yes, it appears there’s something amiss in Irrakam. You know we’ve recently noticed travel of people through the desert much more so than usual.”

“Yes, I remember.”

She hadn’t known who they were or where they’d really come from but there had been quite a lot of activity as of late.

Gereint’s sightless eyes pierced her to the very soul, something only he was ever capable of, “It appears the Cult of Mitra is making a move on Irrakam. The Jya has foreseen it. She’s calling for the help of the Calerian tribe.”

Ira didn’t know what to say or not but she immediately felt the spike of adrenaline rush through her system. She had to mobile and she had to get to Irrakam as fast as her feet could take her there.

“Alright. I’m going ahead to Irrakam, awake Revor and Messia and get them to assemble the army; we need them to start heading out tomorrow. They need to get to Irrakam as fast as possible. No wait…first they need to get to Suravani’s Oasis and rally the tribes there and get as many horses as the tribes can gather, then head to Irrakam.”

“That’ll add time onto their journey.”

“Yes, but it will be worth it.”

Gereint smiled and folded his hands in front of him, “You’re a natural born leader.”

Ira shook her head and started quickly walking towards her home, “Have you informed Majra?”

“I was just on my way to do so when I saw you there.”

“Good.” Ira called behind her shoulder, “I hope she doesn’t mind too much that I started spouting out orders for how the army should be lead.”

“I doubt it, Majra’s a great leader but she doesn’t know much about war.”

Stopping in front of the flaps of her home, Ira turned back to Gereint one more time, “Send word to Letho Ravenheart and Storm Veritas…” Then she burst through the flaps, grabbing everything she needed in a flurry of movement. Extra clothing for protection against the sun, food, water, all of the supplies she would need. It takes three days to get to Irrakam and she was going to do it in two if she had to walk all night without any sleep. She didn’t care.

The Keep

She was exhausted but couldn’t care less. Even if she’d wanted to sleep on her travels to Irrakam she hadn’t been able to. Restlessness kept her awake continually. On the second night eventually exhaustion had taken over but she’d slept briefly, for two or three hours maybe and now she was really beginning to feel it. When she walked through the majestic doors of The Keep, no one stopped her. Not one guard barred her entry, most of them knew her or had seen her wandering around these halls as of late.

“Where’s Jya?” Ira turned to one of the guards.

He stammered before finally answering her, “In her private chambers…”

Without giving her thanks, Ira just nodded her head and hurried through the halls of The Keep as a fast walking pace. A few flights of stairs later and many closed doors, Ira knocked and then opened the doors leading into Jya’s personal quarters, the two Priestesses on either side not barring her entrance.

“I got here as fast as I could…”

She didn’t bother to bow; she was actually worried if she got down on one knee to show her respect she might not find the strength to get back up.

The Valkyrie
10-23-06, 08:36 PM
Bryn turned from her place at the window, to glance wearily at yet another newcomer to call upon Jya - all of them wished something, either aid from their leader, a chance to be heroes, supplies they'd never afford on their own, or some other passing favor in light of the coming Siege. The first barges had been spotted coming up river an hour since, and there was word of a massive army camped in the desert in Nirrakal. With a sigh, she looked the girl over, and with a raised eyebrow left the window she'd clung to for the last hour.

This girl was different though, and Bryn recognized her as Calerian from her discussions with Jya about the people she'd been making diplomatic efforts to bring into her flock. A slight frown creased her brow and darkened her eyes from green to nearly black as the girl swept aside common gestures to breathlessly approach the Jya, but as she saw that the girl was obviously exhausted, and Jya was obviously understanding of that fact, she relaxed.

Jya's priestesses hurriedly made the girl comfortable, and Bryn joined the girl and Jya on the other end of the massive bedchamber, taking a noisy seat on a settle that rested before a large marble table bedecked with various edibles.

"Brynhilde Darkthorne, I'd like you to meet Ira Shinkara, our contact among the Calerian people," Jya introduced the women, watching them with her ever discerning azure gaze.

"A pleasure, although it would be nice if it were under different circumstances," Bryn replied, extending her hand to Ira politely.

"The Calerians will likely be the fulcrum on which this whole thing hinges," Jya continued and then motioned lightly to Bryn, "Brynhilde is simply visiting me with her daughter, and has been unfortunately caught up in this miserable mess. Fortunately for Fallien, she is a Valkyrie and a very capable warrior, I only hope I am able to keep her daughter safe as she fights on our behalf."

Bryn smiled at the mention of Astrid, and glanced protectively at the tiny girl who played nearby with a set of glass bobbles and several obviously expensive dolls which had been yet another gift from her godmother. Turning back to Ira, she grew serious once more as her thoughts returned to the dilemma at hand.

"How many Calerians will fight? And when will they arrive?" Her question was pointed, but necessary. She knew war, and disliked the idea of the peaceful desert nation torn by bloodshed and unnecessary violence, but this seemed unavoidable. At the very least she could do her utmost to defend it.

Iriah Caitrak
10-24-06, 10:47 PM
Ira smiled warily at the woman and took her hand when offered. It was not a custom to shake hands she was extremely familiar with, but a lot of different cultures from throughout Althanas had practiced it as she’d seen on her brief travels. Circumstances or not, Ira felt confident in the presence of this woman, she struck her as someone who knew a thing or two about war and she was quickly told as much by Jya herself, reaffirmed by the questions that Bryn herself asked.

Straight down to the grit of the matter. No beating around the bush just the way that Ira liked it.

“We were able to quickly put together a force of three thousand from the Calerian warriors alone. They should have headed out five or six hours after I left, however they will not be here that fast. I left orders for them to march to Suravani’s Oasis first and attempt to rally the tribes therein to providing some kind of military support.

“I left my two best warriors in charge, Revor who is the best fighter I know of in the tribe and Messia, who is also quite skilled and extremely smart. She’s gotten me out of quite a few tight situations before and I don’t doubt her abilities to come up with something tricky. The only problem is, Calerians are lone fighters, or we fight in small groups of no more than ten. War combat is not something that we excel at and I’m slightly worried that this may be reflected in the upcoming battle.”

She hated admitting that fact. It somehow made her tribe feel weak to her, but never in all of her years or those before her did her people ever think they would be one day fighting a war. It was not something they were prepared for.

“And…another thing…”

This one she really hesitated in saying aloud. Bryn was an experienced warrior and she might not completely understand the mechanics of her tribe and her people.

“I know of very few Calerians who have taken another life. Bryn if you know anything about my tribe than you know we release lost souls from their torment, we do not destroy these souls nor do we kill the living body beforehand. Calerians are very experienced fighters, but are not experienced in killing. I’m worried of hesitation on the battlefield and the trauma that is going to result from watching your hand kill another person and then seeing their soul ripped from their body…”

How her people were going to overcome that she knew not. Ira only knew that it had to happen if they wanted too survive. Fallien was their home too and they had to protect it or there would be nothing left for those who survived to go back to. If it meant spilling blood through the parched desert sands, than so be it. She would live with that kind of guilt to protect this place so that others may live peacefully in the years to come; she just hoped that the rest of the tribe was willing to do so. No, she didn’t need to hope; in her mind she knew they would…she was just worried.

Looking off towards another section of the room and seeing Bryn’s daughter playing reminded her of what she was fighting to keep Fallien in the hands of the right people for. For her generation, so they can grow up free and not under the ruling of the Cultists, and though she knew little about them she could easily surmise it would not be a pleasant way to live.

The Valkyrie
10-30-06, 10:02 PM
Her mistress pounded at the gates of Val Hall, the loud booming a stoic reminder of Death's fury at being spurned. The gods and warriors held the madwoman off for a moment longer, and Brynhilde looked around for somewhere to hide...

She awoke with a start from the dream, realizing that the low reverberations that shook her dreams were reality. The siege had begun. Astrid slept soundly in the massive bed next to her, unmoved by the danger that awaited outside. Her peaceful face glowed copper in the light that shone through the open windows, and Bryn rushed to them to look out over a city on fire. The acrid scent of burning filled her nostrils and she shuddered, hurriedly donning her armor before scooping her daughter from the bed, blankets and all to hurry out into the hallway.

Jya met her outside of her private chambers and took the sleeping child from the Valkyrie's arms, nodding once to Bryn before disappearing inside, presumably to pray for her city, alone with her goddess. Reassuring herself that her child was safe in the hands of the Mother of Fallien, Bryn rushed away to find Ira and any others who would be needed to secure the Keep from the Cultists who, from a glance out the window, appeared to be drawing rapidly nearer.

((Sorry it isn't longer or more in depth, but I'm slammed right now and this is all I could get out for the time being -- either way, the siege is under way!))

Izvilvin
10-31-06, 12:00 AM
The sign of movement on the horizon was quickly noticed by Izvilvin's keen lavender eyes. A wave of rising sand under the feet of the Cult of the Sun was approaching from outside of his window, and above them, what he thought was a sea of floating, bouncing birds. They were harpies, and the thought of them made him cringe, seethe, and clench his fists, all at once.

The Drow quickly snapped his belt on, then looked solemnly at Icicle leaning against his dresser. The enchanted sword was in its scabbard, a holder capable of supressing the intense cold that would overwhelm a thinner one. He thought of Laix, and quickly picked up the item and strapped it tightly to his belt so it could droop comfortably off of his hip.

He exited his room just in time to see the Jya turn away and enter hers, the two guards outside of the chamber looking to him and both gently shaking their heads. They would protect her, he knew, but he had no intention of straying far from the area.

Taking quick strides down the hall, Izvilvin went to a nearby square window and looked outside of it. The seige was already beginning, as the harpies flew effortlessly over the River Attireyi to dive down at the humans below. Many flew straight for the Keep, one coming right at the window Izvilvin was looking out of.

He drew Icicle, the freezing mist that surrounding the blade chilling his body almost immediately, and slashed downward in front of the window, leaving a trail of thick mist before its passage. He backed up as the harpy crashed through it, unable to stop. The creature was simply too disoriented to adjust its flight as Icicle came in, slashing its grotesque head from its body.

A quick wipe of the blade against the dead harpy's clothing later, and the sword was sheathed again. Indeed, the Drow did not plan to stray from the area around the Jya's room anytime soon.

Iriah Caitrak
11-03-06, 10:24 AM
(Death In The Night takes place between the talks with Jya and the beginning of the Siege, explaining any emotional trauma ‘suddenly’ exhibited from Ira.)

Sleep had not come easy. It was a hard won friend that eventually took Ira after how long she didn’t really know, all she did know was that it was dark when she’d fallen asleep and the sky was only beginning to brighten now that she was awake. It wasn’t the sun that had awoken her or even a peaceful dream that she had slowly pulled herself out of, no, there had been no dreams to lull her tonight. Instead it was the sound of explosions and the rocking foundations of The Keep’s walls and floors. They had startled sleep from her mind and as the grogginess faded, it finally clued in what was truly happening around her. Fallien was now under siege, the battle had begun, the Cultists had attacked and innocent people were beginning to pay the price for the greed of a few.

For a time she just laid there, staring up at the dark red canopy of material handing above her bed. Her eyes focused and never really looking at anything. Soon, the streets of Irrakam would become that colour, blood red and there was nothing she could do about it. People were going to die, be it soldiers trained all their lives for something like this or merchants, travellers…children. They were all going to die and even if she somehow right now refused to take part in it, it would not matter. The war would continue with or without her, it did not hinge on her participation, it hinged on The Cultists and the Harpies.

The blasts continued to rain outside into the city, some of them growing gradually closer to The Keep. She could tell, because they were louder and the items on her nightstand vibrated more. Finally, when she couldn’t stand to listen to her own self-pitying thoughts anymore, she threw back the covers and began to quickly dress. No armour adorned her body and neither were there any weapons, but who was to say that she was unarmed?

Taking a deep breath, Ira left her quarters and turned down the hallway. She could already see the guards posted outside of Jya’s room and knew they would protect her with the best of their abilities. Further down the hall she ran into Izvilvin who was just sheathing his sword, the figure of a dead and twisted Harpy at his feet. Death need not distort these creatures anymore than they already were for they were far uglier than anything Ira had seen in her short life.

“Izvilvin…”

Seeing him again reminded her of what had just occurred hours ago and the sickness began to rise in her stomach. Bile threatening itself just in the back of her throat, which she quickly swallowed ignoring the acidic taste entering her mouth.

Turning at the sound of feet, Ira watched Bryn, the woman she had briefly talked about the defence of the city with come down the hallway towards the two of them.

The Valkyrie
11-09-06, 08:17 PM
She approached the two of them with a worried look on her face. Of course her daughter would be safe with Jya, but Bryn still fought down the rising fear in her gut. Any distraction was welcome, and in this case it appeared that it would be planning battle with these two.

It was said that the Drow spoke no common, and she wasn't sure how large of a problem that would be, but it made no matter at this point. The only thing that mattered now was helping Fallien. As a large boulder slammed into the side of the Keep, the Valkyrie shuddered and stepped forward with a grim nod to the two.

"Greetings to the both of you this morning," her voice was low and she motioned to them to follow her to the room where she knew the guards often met to discuss security matters - if this wasn't a security matter she didn't know what was.

"It seems the sky has begun to rain fire and rocks during the night," she noted blandly as her boots clicked down the hall, her armor swishing metallically against itself as she walked. Other sounds came from the armed warriors that walked with her. With a lifted hand, she indicated the room that they would be using and entered after them.

"Do we know how many they have? And how in the world they ended up with Harpies on their side?" she asked wearily. Hopefully someone beyond herself had experience in war - hers was all rather ancient history in her opinion. And she had most definitely never planned one before.

The answer to her question barely caught her attention before she missed it. There were so many things to consider, and a slew of panicked Fallien to defend.

"The Fallien militia is quite well trained, so that is an assett. In addition, I've heard tell that we have help coming from several foreign allies, which is indeed a blessing, as Jya would say," she continued.

But was this blessing enough to overcome the curse of these gods be damned cultists?

Izvilvin
11-12-06, 03:20 PM
An earth-shattering blast shook the Keep, nearly knocking Izvilvin from his feet with the sudden force. Wide eyed he looked around, through the windows, to try and find a clue as to the source.

Not understanding the woman warrior's talk anyway, Izvilvin left her and Ira, who had emerged from her room, to go to the far wall. Across the river Attireyi there were six siege weapons the likes of which he had never seen. They were a hybrid of catapults and ballistas, in the sense that each one launched a single massive arrow. Somewhere on that side of the Keep, the wall was pierced by a massive wooden projectile.

Even an idiot could realize that too many of those in the wall would cause it to collapse.

Clenching his teeth, the Drow considered what he could do. The weapons were manned and guarded by a few dozen Cultists, far more than he could hope to take on alone.

He realized, however, that leaving the weapons as they were was condemning his home to destruction. Bolstering his courage, Izvilvin took one look at Ira and the other woman, and soared out the window, punching his fist into the air to enact the power of his Icarus Ring, which sprouted wings and allowed him to glide safely to the ground.

((Heading off to do a quick quest to take out those siege weapons, be back eventually.))

Iriah Caitrak
11-22-06, 08:16 AM
“No, no and no.”

Ira steadied herself as another one of the Cultists weapons slammed into the walls of The Keep. The sound of metal and wood grinding through and breaking away stone echoed through the air followed by the sounds of the dying crying out. Without saying a word, Izvilvin began to leave Ira and Bryn; she didn’t need to ask him where he was going she already knew. Those weapons needed to be stopped and if Izvilvin wanted to focus on taking them down he could, her and Bryn would focus on the defence of the city.

“To the Great Hall…”

She didn’t really know if that’s what the place was actually called, but she didn’t care. It was a giant hall where meetings were held as well as large celebrations and feasts. It would be the place where their feast would be held once they pushed back the Cultists and Harpies and perhaps eliminated them as a threat forever. Once they pushed them back, because there was no doubt in her mind that they would succeed, they had to, there was no way around it.

Hurrying down the hall, Ira jogged down the long staircase two at the time and then began making her way down the twisting halls of The Keep to get to The Great Hall. Already there were high-ranking officers standing in the hallway, pacing, waiting for instructions from someone, from anyone, they needed direction and they needed to know what they should be doing. Ira was no strategist and she had no experience with war, plenty of experience with fighting, but this was something completely different. Still, she could help and she could try. If only Messia was here though, she had the brains.

Ushering the officers into The Great Hall, Ira looked down at the map of Irrakam that was spread out on a large and long wooden table.

“Where are they coming in?”

She looked up and down at the five faces of the men and woman before her, one of whom she recognized, Captain Alikam, he was also the first to speak.

“We’ve spotted a large force of Cultist ships coming down the River Attireyi.”

He placed an armour hand on the map and traced their route with his finger.

Someone else spoke up next, “Our defences at the walls are useless, the Harpies can fly right over use and attack our men from the air. Right now there’s a large force of Harpies in The Outlander’s Quarters and a large force of Cultists trying to break through the main gates into the city itself.”

Ira nodded her head as she listened and looked over the map of Irrakam. What should she do?

“Alikam, you take your men and defend against the landing Cultists ships as best you can…”

He nodded his head, “Reinforcements from Corone have arrived, may I take them with me?”

Reinforcements from Corone…Letho? Did he really come?

“Yes…”

“What about the other places that need defending against?”

Ira closed her eyes and took a deep breath. She should not be doing this, there were more qualified people than her who knew the defences of the city and knew how to place troops along it’s walls to help it.

“We need a force to stay and defence The Keep itself. I need one force to go to the main gates and reinforce them there and also push them back as best they can should the gates be breached.” Ira turned to the woman warrior Bryn that Jya had asked to help during this situation, “What are you thinking?”

The Valkyrie
12-11-06, 06:28 PM
Bryn barely heard the plans being made. She should have been listening more closely, but even though she may be a battle hardened warrior, planning was never her forte. She preferred to rush in headlong and slaughter any who got in her way, cleaving a path to victory. Of course, when one is immortal that is fine and dandy, but now this was no longer an option. Her body was as vulnerable to injuries and death as any other in Fallien. No matter what blessings Jya had placed on her, no matter if she could feel her former mistress, Death, when she grew near, none of this mattered.

Ira spoke to her, and it took the Valkyrie a moment to respond. She shook herself from her inner thoughts and looked up at the Calerian woman, her green eyes cryptic.

"I will not leave the Keep while my daughter is here," she replied firmly, "I will defend her and the Jya to my death if need be. And surely Jya is the aim of both the Cultists and the Harpies. Ira, please stay here and help me in the defense of the Keep. All of the guards but ten can go to the Main Gate of the Keep and defend it, those ten which stay will aid us in ..."

She paused, looking down for a moment. A thought had occured to her, an idea, which while it may not work was certainly worth trying and could save Fallien if it did. Raising an eyebrow, she smiled hopefully at Ira.

"There is something which I want to try," she turned to the guards who awaited direction, "All but ten of you hasten to the gate to hold off the attackers, I'm certain there are militia men on the other side who will aid you in its defense. The ten who stay, spread yourself throughout the Keep, but at least 2 of you need to join the guards who currently protect Jya. She is the most important thing here.

"Yes my lady," the guards replied in unison, standing as one and bowing toward Bryn - obviously they had been told to heed her word as law by Jya, "Suravani go with you."

"And also with you," she intoned the common blessing before turning back to Ira.

"You know what I am, yes?" she asked.

Iriah Caitrak
12-18-06, 07:40 PM
A smirk spread over Ira’s face as the woman finally took control of the situation and began to give out her orders. Hopefully, Alikam was still going to help those on the river Attireyi, she couldn’t see why not. The thought of staying here, of being stuck in The Keep, even if it was to protect The Jya did not sit well in Ira’s stomach. She was a warrior, born, bred and trained to be one and she needed to get out there and fight. No matter what had happened to her last night, no matter that by the end of the day her blades may have spilled more blood than she cared to think about, she needed to defend her homeland.

How could she not stay here though?

Indecision was ripe in her mind and forgotten all in one second as the woman continued to talk.

Ira hesitated at the question. Really, she had no idea what she was or even what she was capable of. This was the first time she had met her though she had heard a few things about her from many of the people within The Keep. Jya herself had never told Ira anything about Bryn, but she did know that if Jya trusted her than she could. The woman had a commanding presence and Ira got the distinct feeling that she had done this many times before, if not in this particular way, war was nothing new to her.

“No…I have no idea what you are.”

She wished she could be of more help in this kind of situation, but clearly the more experience woman before her appeared to have some kind of idea up her sleeve. What, Ira did not know and she really hoped she was going to tell her sooner rather than later.

Watching the guards quickly pile out of the room and leave Bryn and her alone, Ira patiently waited for the woman to continue.