PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Webcomic: The Noob

hamnat
10-24-06, 10:29 PM
The Noob (http://www.thenoobcomic.com/) by Gianna Masetti is a satirical webcomic updated upon completion. Each page is posted sometime in close proximity to its completion and this causes unreliable updates.

My Score: On a scale of 1 to 10, I would give it a 7

The Background: "The Noob" is fairly self explanatory: It is about a player who is new to a famous MMORPG(Massive-Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game) known as Clichequest. The game is essentially a MMOROG(Massive-Multiplayer Online RIP-OFF Game) that takes aspects from many other games. The all-famous paladin, for example, has the uber-cheesy power of complete immunity to all forms of damage. It also rips off Blizzard via Epic/World-Event Quests and the public transportation that we all know and love as the Gryphon.

[spoiler warning]
The Story: Ohforf'sake(a naming error at creation, originally from the player's swearing at the ludicrous names the random name generator was throwing at him, like Q'unt!) is a noob to the world of Clichequest who gives his pants to a very anti-masculine female named Hypatia who doesn't like the skimpy outfit that women start out with. He eventually gets his first kill on a rat.....via heart attack. After looting the corpse, he finds a small kiddie drawing and vows never to kill again. Unfortunately for him(and many rats!) he sets off one of those chain events that you see in the Tom and Jerry cartoons. After leveling up, he becomes over-zealous and causes a train(of monsters) which kills everybody in the zone(yes, him too...). His ghost meets up with the ghosts of Hypatia and a "role-player" with a very long name: Sir Darkblade Wolfeyes Orcbane Raislin de Urden Von Strudel! The two had met with unfortunate ends at the hands of the infamous PK's(Player-Killers). When Hyp is ressurected, she's perfectly normal. But Darkie is ressurected in his knickers(underpants)!
As they plan their revenge, they meet with all kinds of trouble: Ohforf(for short) gets strangled, the three nearly make aquaintance to Batman, and Ohforf feels the combined wrath of rope and woman. Once at Darkie's hometown, B acon of Hope(the "e" fell off), the three beseach his guild to help eradicate the villains who killed them. Ohforf ends up under a bundle of hay after "agreeing" to fight the villains under pretense of...ahem....certain services of the female orientation. Hypatia dies, yet again, leaving Ohforf to slave as lackey to the PKs' whims. After some time, the leader, Fred the Dread, takes Ohforf into a dungeon to teach him the tricks of the "trade." Ohforf wanders into the highest level area of the dungeon, earning a level along the way(he tossed a clove of garlic into the mouth of a sneaking vampire). He picks up the all-powerful Orb of Power(extremely rare) from the loot of a dead dragon that a group of high level guys just killed. Unfortunatly, the Orb "binds" to the person's soul and cannot be given away or sold. He wishes his way out.....but into the Elvan lands. Unfortunately, he also said he didn't want it....so the Orb self-destructed.

Read the rest of the comic at thenoobcomic.com

If you want to see the entire comic from page 1, click here (http://www.thenoobcomic.com/daily/strip001.html)

aesculus
10-24-06, 11:36 PM
Funny you post something about The Noob, right after I look at it.

AdventWings
10-25-06, 06:53 AM
Meh. it's OK I guess.

grim137
11-04-06, 07:32 AM
I loved this comic, it actually inspired me to start playing Runescape again.

hamnat
11-08-06, 06:14 PM
hehe....ya.... it really shows the funnier/cheaper aspects of MMORPG's.

hamnat
11-21-06, 04:41 AM
so, should I take this as sign to stop doing webcomic reviews? Because only 82 people have even looked at this thread. I could get more views on a crappy RP thread.....

So, should the wandering magess stop with the reviews or not?

Traveler
11-21-06, 04:44 AM
I personally think that's way too pessimistic a view there. It's a cool idea of yours, to share some of your interests with other people on ALthanas. Even if there aren't many views to a thread, you nonetheless have some people who did read the webcomic, which seems like it was the entire point, no?

Keep doing it if you enjoy doing it, really.

hamnat
11-21-06, 05:29 AM
thanks....good to know someone else cares....

and I love reviewing webcomics.

to all my regular readers, I will be reviewing The Dreamland Chronicles next, a comic that is currently rank 8 on topwebcomics.com. It is one of my personal favorites, right above EGS and just under Inverloch, if everyone remembers those....

Storm Veritas
11-21-06, 05:53 AM
I loved this comic, it actually inspired me to start playing Runescape again.

Check me out. Game name = "stormveritas".

hamnat
11-21-06, 02:27 PM
yay! I actually managed to revive this review!

Well, to Storm, I gotta ask...
What are your skill levels?