PDA

View Full Version : 2015 August Vignette

Rayleigh
08-08-15, 02:33 PM
Write your character having a job interview. The job itself can be as practical or fantastical as you wish, and does not necessarily have to fit into the world of Althanas. Be sure to explain the specifics of the position that your character is applying for.

Thank you to BlackAndBlueEyes for the suggestion.

You have until August 31st at midnight to submit your posts. Good Luck.

K-Zu-Ziro
08-12-15, 03:23 AM
He frantically thumbed between the ratty papers in the back of his crumbling wallet, deathly fearful that a dear memento had fallen loose. He rushed, at the crack of anxiety's cruel whip, to pay for his tram ticket in the morning crowds. “That's when I must have dropped it.” Cursing, resenting, loathing; across the breadth of his encounters, the weight of his judgement fell heaviest on himself. “Fuck, how could I lose that. If I was a better person I would have taken more care with it.” In spite of the morning's bitter bite, sweat dribbled from his temples. “There it is!” evaporation, his skin dried quickly with the good news. Clean fingers held tight with a feather's touch; it was a faded photograph showing the greying smile of a portly gentleman. His arm rested around a big eared little boy, safeguarding him. Drik slipped the photo into his breast pocket and closed the button to ensure its safety.

“Come on in, Mr. Drik!” oval glasses, hair cropped for good order and a slate complexion came packaged in the competence of good leadership. She stood in the doorway of her office with amiable command, “I'm Robin, I like first names!” her voice dismantled his barriers like years of friendship. A feeling flushed through him like a thick serum remedying the poisonous heartache of melancholy sentiment. The regret of a deathbed mistake felt distant for the first time, washed into the corners of his childhood reflections. Jarreck Drik raced afloat with his grandfather's wisdom. Always make eye contact, but not too much. Shake a firm hand. Be wary of authority in your mind, but respectful of it in your words. Be polished when somebody offends you. Monetary abundance eluded the family, but Jhon Drik made sure of two things: 1. good food hit the table every night, and 2., books lined the shelves with intricate instruction and amazing adventures. Because of this, Drik could discuss urbane topics with the broad confidence of a well finished young man. An accent exposed his shameful entry into the underclass at birth. This accent made for a harsh companion to his gushing magniloquence. Though, Robin found the juxtaposition positively endearing; indicative of a rare honesty.

Their rapport warmed between questions of education and suitability. “Usually we have to send out a letter to let you know, but you're the only candidate today. We saw the rest of them yesterday. Decided to squeeze you in, you know?” Drik nodded, hostage to her charismatic enthusiasm. “But! I think we can go ahead and say you've got the job. The councilor has to give the OK, but he always takes my recommendation. Come by the embassy tomorrow and we'll get you started on some visa applications! How does that sound?” A good grandfather had made all the difference. Jarreck Drik, middle name Muckson, gave up childhood the day his mother told him that granddad, the boy's best friend, had died in hospital with a warm cup of tea in his hand. For the first time the subtle spectre of loss had been eclipsed by harmless pride.

“Granddad would be proud of me!”

Jarreck Muckson Drik would mature and opt to go by the shortened form of his middle name, Mux. Mux Drik, ambassador. At the peak of his career he would be Corone's representative in Alerar, taking charge of the embassy in Ettermire. While serving his country, he was murdered by K-Zu-Ziro. Then resurrected as a trapped mind inside the void prison of the creature's own mental space. Time and the creature's will made him an unwilling partner. More time allowed Mux to regrow his independence inside K-Zu-Ziro. The twenty-two year old's ambition lay dormant, waiting for the right time. Maybe he could overpower the insectoid's will and take this body for his own. Maybe his mind could find another home, a place to think where he alone was privy to his internal monologue.

But anyway, on that day, he got the job. And until his untimely death, he modeled himself on Robin and Jhon.

Rayleigh
09-06-15, 09:14 PM
Closed for judging.

Rayleigh
09-08-15, 01:55 PM
K-Zu-Ziro – First Place
A very nice piece. Polished and well-written. Though the topic itself was quite simple, you put so much life into the characters you wrote about. You are truly skilled when it comes to persona, and writing memorable characters. Well done.

200 EXP
200 GP

Logan
09-10-15, 02:09 PM
EXP and GP Added.