PDA

View Full Version : give open threads an xp bonus and then multiply with each different person involved

K-Zu-Ziro
09-18-15, 11:50 AM
i feel like the vast majority of threads on althanas are closed and planned. and while that's fine for controlled character development and planned threads etc, i feel like it is exclusionary. to combat this and to get people interacting more often and even in a more casual way, there should be some kind of incentive for starting open threads and then an incentive for people to join in on open threads. quickly, somebody tell me why my idea to give open threads an xp bonus multiplied the more people are involved is absolutely terrible!

Max Dirks
09-18-15, 12:47 PM
I'd be down for an open thread month to see how popular they become.

Ebivoulya
09-18-15, 09:29 PM
This is actually a decent idea; I'd recommend no more than a flat 20% exp bonus for open threads, though. Any more and the bonus would offset the typically higher score of more planned threads.

Storm Veritas
09-19-15, 06:21 AM
Of course, the devil is in the details; no one wants a system-breaking EXP multiplier, but I doubt that would become an issue. I do like some reward for open threads to drive collaboration.

K-Zu-Ziro
09-19-15, 12:01 PM
<3 ty for the feedback dudes ^^'; p.s. anybody wants to start open threads or wants to join an open thread or whatever let me know. i had one already over here LINK (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?29809-Brackish-Morass).

Ashla
09-19-15, 12:25 PM
I love open threads. My first two threads here were open (I did terrible in them)! I rarely have seen open threads, and when I do they usually go innactive. With exp boosts on the table though, we might see more of them.

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
09-24-15, 08:41 AM
Shinsou Vaan Osiris likes this.

Izvilvin
11-09-15, 06:19 PM
Hey, can I bump this? This is a terrific idea. I agree with the initial post entirely.

I tried to start some open threads with another character, but they did not get any traction. I'd love to post in them and get activity flowing a bit more, but everyone's caught up in their own closed stories with their friends. When new folks come out to play, they see this. Breaking in and becoming part of the community would be much easier if we were to go with this idea, I'm extremely confident about that.

Can we keep this convo going? Everyone seems to agree this is a good idea, at least on some level.

Logan
11-09-15, 06:53 PM
I agree this is a good idea, and I have no qualms with a reasonable boost in exp for open threads, and giving a bigger bonus based on the number of involved individuals.

I have a few closed threads, but most of those (actually, all of them) are either my solo or the recruitment thread for a new prospective Tarot member (with the exception of my thread w/ Storm).

I'd be up with being involved in more open threads, but I've found the majority of the time they don't end up completed. As that is typically the case, I'd be all for a seriously good bump in exp for open threads seen through to completion, but that might be hit or miss.

Christoph
11-09-15, 06:59 PM
I like the idea on general principle.

However, what stops people from making "open" threads and simply getting their typical RPing partners to join first, filling the open slots, just to get additional EXP? I doubt many would do that, of course. Secondly, I feel that this subject has more to do with RPing with new/different people, so if somebody makes open threads that the same members tend to join, it defeats the purpose.

I would suggest, instead of an open thread bonus, we give a bonus for RPing with those with whom you have not written before (or within a set amount of time).

Logan
11-09-15, 07:04 PM
How would you track that, exactly? The devil is in the details, as they say.

Christoph
11-09-15, 07:11 PM
Forum search functions, I suppose? It isn't ideal, but at least it is possible to track that, as opposed to objectively determining whether somebody is abusing an Open Thread Bonus system or not.

Izvilvin
11-09-15, 07:19 PM
We may be assuming there would be abuse to this system without having a reason for feeling that way. Besides "write with Letho for a better reward/maybe JC!" there isn't a big history of abuse that I'm aware of.

I would propose something simple, and avoid the idea of "more users = more exp for all", since that'd end up sloppy. Maybe a tiered system, level 1 characters get +40% EXP, level 2s get +30%, etc. Maybe starting an open thread gives you an automatic +20% at the end, so even if people drop out, quest starters will have motivation to finish them.

That way it'd be a (relatively) simple matter for the judge, as well:
- Is this an open thread?
- Is this person level X or below?
- I add X amount of EXP to their reward

Percentages are completely out of my butt there so don't dwell on those much.

K-Zu-Ziro
11-09-15, 09:01 PM
ty for the feedback all mad decent of everybody

loves.blessing.
11-10-15, 09:48 AM
Why don't you keep a separate part where people submit there open threads with their links, than people can read and reply if interested and so you guys know whose one that created the thread and the person that replied. So like we have a separate thing for character registration make a separate thing that says like "Open threads" or something punny.

Just a thought that is how we used to do it at an old site and it worked really well.