PDA

View Full Version : The Boss Battle CLub

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
09-24-15, 04:29 AM
So, whilst I was having my breakfast this morning I was browsing Althanas and came across the Boss Battle forum, which I hadn't really seen or paid much attention to since my return. I must admit, I find the idea of ganging up on a superboss for increased exp and a legendary item tempting, to say the least, but also quite like the challenge.

So, I wanted to know if there were any likeminded people who would quite like to gather up and start challenging these bosses in groups?

Ideally I want to start challenging when I get back from my honeymoon in the second week of October, so this thread is more for looking at interested parties.

Proposed start date: Saturday 17th October 2015

Participants:

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
Medeia
Storm Veritas
Hysteria
BlueGhostofSeaside
Vendredi
Gnarl and Root
Redford
Philomel

GM: Moderator (SunWing battle)

Cards of Fate

Medeia
09-24-15, 06:34 AM
I'm interested!

Storm Veritas
09-24-15, 06:48 AM
Absolutely!

Hysteria
09-24-15, 07:06 AM
Moar boss smashing!

I was just reading one of the Althie day ones... so much envy going on.

Ashla
09-24-15, 07:17 AM
Interested!

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
09-24-15, 07:47 AM
Loving the level of interest here guys.

I'm thinking we make the challenge on the 10th October. I should hopefully be well on the way to level 2, maybe level 3 by then. Any preference as to our quarry?

I would quite like a crack at:

Name: SunWing (By Rethul Orlouge)

Difficulty: Monolith

Brief Description: What's a boss battle event without a dragon or two? Sun Wing is an adult (roughly 700 years old) fire dragon that makes its nest in the cliffs of Alerar. It's very basic, has a hoarde, a nasty temper, and one hell of a fire breath attack. In terms of size, it's about 125 feet long with a wing span of about 300 feet, not small. True to most flying monsters, it doesn't like getting pinned to the ground and will keep to the sky as long as it can before landing to rest its wings. Inevitably, within a few moments, it will take off again and start hailing hellfire down upon its potential prey once more, after getting in a few potshots with its claws and fangs while on the ground. Do not underestimate, or you will end up a well cooked snack!

GM Type: Moderator

I think we could f*ck that up. :)

Vendredi
09-24-15, 07:55 AM
+1 for interest!

Gnarl & Root
09-24-15, 08:25 AM
We spoke about this earlier, so I do have interest, but looks like too many peeps. I'll step aside for those who have posted much quicker than myself.

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
09-24-15, 08:28 AM
We spoke about this earlier, so I do have interest, but looks like too many peeps. I'll step aside for those who have posted much quicker than myself.

Don't be daft, we can split up into groups of four, five or six depending on the boss and if we need to challenge two bosses in two groups of four we can do!

redford
09-24-15, 09:07 AM
Interested

Cards of Fate
09-24-15, 09:39 AM
Id be willing to GM these for yall, just try to keep me included in the planning process.

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
09-24-15, 09:45 AM
Id be willing to GM these for yall, just try to keep me included in the planning process.

That would be great CoF.

We'll use this thread for planning. What I propose we do is split into two groups and take on two bosses.

My suggestions are SunWing, as above, and:

Name: The Briarwolf Pack (By BlackandBlueEyes)
Difficulty: Monolithic
Description: A pack of 40-60 wolves (depending on the number of participants). These wolves are slightly bigger and faster than timber wolves, and have threads of thorny vines woven into their gray pelts. Due to genetic manipulation, they contain the smarts and cunning of Dur'Taigen, as well as a smidge of their shapeshifting abilities. While they aren't able to change their physical shapes, they are able to change the color of their fur in order to blend in with the nighttime shadows and orange glow of the lanterns that line the streets, making them harder to detect so long as they don't make any sudden movements. The briarwolves' jaws are strong enough to pierce cloth and metal Tier 3 and lower. Their mouths and claws are laden with bacteria that infects their victims when they pierce flesh and draw blood. This bacteria will cause paralysis in the infected limb after the span of one post, as well as a numbness that spreads to adjacent parts of the victim's body.

GM Type: Moderator

What do you think? And who wants to claim what? We have eight interested parties, so two groups of four?

Rehtul Orlouge
09-24-15, 11:06 AM
Not planning to join, but I hope you guy enjoy Sun Wing.

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
09-24-15, 11:21 AM
Not planning to join, but I hope you guy enjoy Sun Wing.

Interesting creation Rehtul. I hope you don't mind if we curbstomp it a little.

Rehtul Orlouge
09-24-15, 11:45 AM
I've always been of the opinion that dragons make for great bosses. It's a classic staple for a reason. Just have fun with him

Karuka
09-24-15, 11:51 AM
Absolutely!

Don't tank the dragon. Give this one some space, squishy wizard. :P

Rehtul Orlouge
10-02-15, 04:33 PM
For those still interested in this concept, Shinsou has altered the opening post, please read it in its entirety so that you may be kept up on the current plans for the thread.

Thank you.

Drumheller
10-02-15, 04:40 PM
Drum is interested, very interested.

Philomel
10-03-15, 03:28 AM
Me!!! I want to take part :D

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
10-03-15, 08:39 AM
Updated the front page.

Once i'm back from Mexico we'll run through the plan!

Bard
10-07-15, 10:07 PM
While I have no intention of leaving this site, I know that circumstances will impact my posting rate. As boss battles require a certain level of frequency, which I'm not sure I can keep to, I am respectfully withdrawing as Drumheller.

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
10-08-15, 08:57 AM
While I have no intention of leaving this site, I know that circumstances will impact my posting rate. As boss battles require a certain level of frequency, which I'm not sure I can keep to, I am respectfully withdrawing as Drumheller.

Ok man, no problem. When you get better we'll team up and curbstomp another one together!

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
10-12-15, 02:33 AM
Sorry that i've been late on this one, guys and gals, but my body has spent the past three days in a sort of jet lagged coma so I've had zero energy to do anything. Anyway, are we all still game for this? If so we should move on to the planning phase when everyone is ready.

Gnarl & Root
10-12-15, 07:52 AM
All good to go, although I'm going to use my Alt Elite Optic instead. I think he'll be much more useful at this stage.

Storm Veritas
10-12-15, 08:02 AM
Ready and willing! I will be traveling a few days this week (Thur/Fri) so I may be a little less responsive later.

Cards of Fate
10-12-15, 09:04 AM
Im down to Gm, just hit me with a boss and Ill prep

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
10-13-15, 02:26 AM
Okay then, let's get the ball rolling.

First of all, Cards of Fate, I would like you to GM Sunwing if that's ok with you?

This battle is open to a maximum of six players, and we'll do it first come, first served. Therefore, the first three contenders will be:

Myself
Gnarl (under his alt, Elite Optic)
Storm Veritas

So we need three more for this battle. Remember, first come, first served.

Once we have our starting six, we can start planning from there. I recommend we change the start date to Saturday 17th October to allow Storm time to finish his travels.

redford
10-13-15, 08:05 AM
Interested

Storm Veritas
10-26-15, 06:54 AM
I'm still in - do we need recruits?

Hysteria
10-26-15, 07:21 AM
Me me me!

Storm Veritas
10-26-15, 02:49 PM
So I'm seeing Sunwing vs. Shinsou, Hysteria, Gnarl, redford and myself. Should be a great group to set up a nice battle.

Shinsou, it has been your idea and you should get 1st author credits. Want to get this rolling?

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
10-28-15, 09:11 AM
So I'm seeing Sunwing vs. Shinsou, Hysteria, Gnarl, redford and myself. Should be a great group to set up a nice battle.

Shinsou, it has been your idea and you should get 1st author credits. Want to get this rolling?

Sorry for the delay, Storm. I woke up half-naked in a Little Chef car park four days ago and haven't been the same since.

I'll get right on this. By which, I mean the thread will be up by tomorrow and link posted here.

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
10-29-15, 04:07 AM
Ok chaps. The claim has been made in the boss battle claim thread.

Participants are:

Myself
Hysteria
Elite Optic (Gnarl's alt)
Redford
Storm Veritas

I'll PM you all shortly.

Hysteria
12-04-15, 08:58 PM
*poke*

Status update me! I wana smash bosses.

Storm Veritas
12-05-15, 08:15 AM
Me too, me too!

redford
12-05-15, 08:21 AM
Bump

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
12-06-15, 04:33 AM
Ok. We should really get this started.

I'll aim to have an opener up by Tuesday / Wednesday this week.

Any preferences for terrain or area?

Storm Veritas
12-06-15, 07:39 AM
Anything with some element of water would help My character have some amplified powers/special effects.

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
12-06-15, 10:00 AM
Mountainous region with waterfalls / streams?

Hysteria
12-06-15, 05:23 PM
That sounds good. I can fly, so I can use that sort of terrain to my advantage.

Storm Veritas
12-06-15, 07:11 PM
That works.

Storm Veritas
12-10-15, 08:24 AM
Can you post here to let us know when the opener is up?

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
12-10-15, 09:49 AM
Hey guys. Apologies for the delay on my side. I'll have the opener up in a few hours after I finish work. Link to follow.

Cheers!

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
12-10-15, 03:27 PM
Thread is up. You can find it here (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?30354-Tears-of-the-Sun&p=257648#post257648).

Apologies for the delay. I'll PM everyone to be sure we are all still in.

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
12-11-15, 04:16 AM
Let's talk tactics.

I will shortly be hitting level two. Being one of the weaker members of the battle, i'll most likely have to rely on double or triple teaming Sunwing.

One of the abilities i'm going to attempt to claim for in my level two profile is Shinsou's Senkai; Enpera Hitsugi. This allows Shinsou to create illusions perfect for distraction. The illusions themselves will do no harm, however, but seem real enough.

Elite Optic would be a fantastic brawler in this one due to his unusual characteristics. I'm thinking that due to his weight, if we can get Sunwing to land, we could have him stand on Sunwing's wing and pin him to the ground. Storm and Hysteria have powerful abilities that can do damage and Redford can support me whilst I am casting my illusions.

Thoughts?

Storm Veritas
12-11-15, 07:52 AM
I've found that it's best to not get too elaborate with planning, since unfortunately people come and go a bit in these threads.

One thing to keep in mind is that Storm can repel or "push" metal objects very powerfully, so if anyone has a metal sword/spear/axe/pole, he could use that to throw you in the event that you can't fly.

redford
12-11-15, 08:38 AM
Can you throw john? He has his armor. He weighs 600lbs though.

Storm Veritas
12-11-15, 08:40 AM
Not far, not high, but yes. If it's thick metal, that will make things a bit easier.

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
12-11-15, 08:46 AM
My Dark Lance is a solid object, iron tier, that I can lace with traces of metal for you. Failing that I have a Damascus sword, or even Bane's weapon.

Are we going to decide on a post order or ad-hoc it?

redford
12-11-15, 10:17 AM
I'd like next post, if possible. John's armor isn't that thick but it is titanium, I don't know if that helps at all.

Storm Veritas
12-11-15, 11:29 AM
Once people get a chance to post, we'll have an idea who can write and who can't quickly. Again, probably best to plan for ad-hoc since some folks are bound to vaporize.

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
12-14-15, 04:27 AM
I don't know what Hysteria's state of play is at the moment as I believe his laptop is broken. In order to comply with the 48 hour time limit on posts, i'll knock one up later to keep the thread rolling.

We'll make our way to an area of the mountains that Sunwing is supposed to be resident to. I'll PM Cards of Fate to let him know it's his turn to post after this. Hysteria can catch us up.

Hysteria
12-14-15, 04:53 AM
give me ten min. *cue angry face*

EDIT:
Post up. I'll be faster, I pwomis.

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
12-14-15, 07:04 AM
give me ten min. *cue angry face*

EDIT:
Post up. I'll be faster, I pwomis.

Thanks man. I was just a bit worried your laptop had joined the great scrap heap in the sky. :)

Hysteria
12-14-15, 03:02 PM
My desktop is currently riddled with malware, but my replacement laptop is going strong. :D

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
12-15-15, 02:39 PM
Excellent!

Well, Cards of Fate has said he'll post his GM move up next. Looks like our camp might be getting attacked...

Storm Veritas
12-20-15, 10:16 PM
CoF - I see you have a "Placeholder" post in place; can you post here when you finish authoring that post? I want us to be able to respond quickly for you and I typically use the "new post" feature to check on new posts and updates. Since you've already got the post cooked up, I won't see when you update.

Note - if there's an easier way to manage this, let me know and I'll be happy to accommodate. Does subscribing to a thread show intrapost updates?

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
12-21-15, 03:48 AM
CoF - I see you have a "Placeholder" post in place; can you post here when you finish authoring that post? I want us to be able to respond quickly for you and I typically use the "new post" feature to check on new posts and updates. Since you've already got the post cooked up, I won't see when you update.

Note - if there's an easier way to manage this, let me know and I'll be happy to accommodate. Does subscribing to a thread show intrapost updates?

No, it will only update upon a new post.

I'll be ready as soon as CoF has done his.

Cards of Fate
12-21-15, 08:07 AM
I will get this posted tonight and will once again post here to let yall know

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
12-21-15, 12:02 PM
I will get this posted tonight and will once again post here to let yall know

Thanks CoF.

I'll put up the next IC post.

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
12-24-15, 02:41 PM
CoF has posted. The next IC post will be me, but it won't be tomorrow. Probably 26th evening.

Storm Veritas
12-24-15, 03:54 PM
Sounds good. I won't be able to post on Christmas Day so I won't be rushing you. :)

Cards of Fate
12-25-15, 12:03 AM
Yeah,I posted and then deleted the placeholder so it showed up for yall. Sorry for the brevity, but I made yall wait so long that I needed SOMETHING for yall

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
12-26-15, 03:56 AM
Posted.

Feel free to put up the next one when you can, guys. We have two days from now to do it.

Storm Veritas
12-26-15, 06:34 AM
Pretty sure I'll get something done quickly here.

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
12-26-15, 10:52 AM
I have a few ideas about our next move, need to get my approved level two profile up to do it though.

Hysteria
12-27-15, 03:59 PM
Well, Talen is signalling the dragon as a challenge. If it comes to incinerate him you'll have your shot Storm. I reckon the first step is to take out a wing and fight it on the mountainside. I'm hesitant to use my fire abilities in the rain.

How big is sunwing?

redford
12-27-15, 04:21 PM
Question can Talen lift John and drop him plus hammer on sunwing? That might break a wing if he hits it right.

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
12-29-15, 07:15 AM
Question can Talen lift John and drop him plus hammer on sunwing? That might break a wing if he hits it right.

Once, or if, he's grounded I will use Enpera Hitsugi: Suigetsu on him (as soon as the exp that i'm owed is added so I can put my level 2 profile down!!!). It will force Sunwing to experience illusions of my creation.

Failing that, I'll go for the eyes using Dark Lance and try to blind it.

Redford, you're up next pal.

Cards of Fate
12-29-15, 10:33 AM
Id have to double check the difficulty rating, but I doubt a level 2 illusion spell would work on sunwing. As for size, Sunwing is pretty massive. I couldn't give you actual dimmensions.

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
12-29-15, 03:11 PM
Id have to double check the difficulty rating, but I doubt a level 2 illusion spell would work on sunwing. As for size, Sunwing is pretty massive. I couldn't give you actual dimmensions.

Oh.

Plan B it is, then.

Hysteria
12-30-15, 12:57 AM
Talen could throw John in the air with more ease than flying with him. He'd use his strength plus Sonic. If Sunwing takes the bait and comes close, I'll have Talen teleport down to John and prepare to throw him, Red you can then take the launch from there.

I've also used the hammer's magic in the past to change direction by standing on the head. You could go above and then comes down hard using one blast for direction and one on the dragon. Of course this is assuming it all goes to plan. We might be able to get two good attacks on it next round with Storm's lightning.

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
12-31-15, 07:36 AM
Talen could throw John in the air with more ease than flying with him. He'd use his strength plus Sonic. If Sunwing takes the bait and comes close, I'll have Talen teleport down to John and prepare to throw him, Red you can then take the launch from there.

I've also used the hammer's magic in the past to change direction by standing on the head. You could go above and then comes down hard using one blast for direction and one on the dragon. Of course this is assuming it all goes to plan. We might be able to get two good attacks on it next round with Storm's lightning.

I've posted to keep the battle going.

If Storm can either burn through or slightly tear the hide on Sunwing's wing, I can follow up by piercing it completely with Dark Lance. If successful, that might force Sunwing down a bit, where you can get John on top of it to start doing damage. I also think Elite Optic would be a good option; its weighty and can take the heat punishment better than us.

Storm Veritas
12-31-15, 10:31 AM
I'll try to take a blast at it today.

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
01-01-16, 02:05 PM
Cheers Storm. CoF next up!

Storm Veritas
01-09-16, 10:11 PM
CoF, how's it going?

Cards of Fate
01-09-16, 10:36 PM
Trying to get into the swing of posting more frequently. Expect something by monday

Cards of Fate
01-14-16, 08:41 PM
Posted! It's a tad short, but feel free to bunny the dragon as you enter you melee with it. I will write in any major moves, but claw swipes, bites, and tail swipes are free game for y'all to incorporate.

Storm Veritas
01-15-16, 08:46 AM
I responded to the post since there was a big blast at me; would love for some help!

Also, with Shin out, I'll take up the task of trying to badger people to post. I'll give you guys a half day to figure out who wants to write next, but someone needs to bunny his exit for obvious reasons (he's taking a break from Althanas).

Elite Optic
01-15-16, 11:04 AM
I'm actually unsure when I'm due to post. So just let me know.

Storm Veritas
01-15-16, 12:35 PM
I think with Shinsou hopping out, we probably aren't in a real batting order anymore. If you've got a chance, go nuts!

Hysteria
01-17-16, 06:47 AM
I'm going for the eyes. I don't think I'll hold back, I'll just throw giant attacks at it until it dies now :D

Red, still probably a good idea if you take out a wing if you can. Then we can make sure it's grounded for good.

Storm Veritas
01-18-16, 07:13 PM
PAGING ELITE OR REDFORD

Who's available to take the next turn?

redford
01-18-16, 07:51 PM
I dunno what to do, John is pretty much stuck standing on the ground looking like an impotent badass

Hysteria
01-19-16, 04:34 AM
First deal with the fire by running to the side. Then spot Talen teleporting in and close in using his attack as cover. You don't need to get above the dragon. You could go in under and go for the wing from beneath or the spot Storm opened up.

Elite Optic
01-19-16, 08:18 AM
Apologies, been away lately. Will post asap.

Hysteria
01-20-16, 05:25 AM
Chop all the dragon!

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/fibt6jaz56r6piybm6t1.gif

Gnarl & Root
01-24-16, 03:02 AM
Sorry guys, I have lost all ability to write. My head isn't right.

I don't know when for how long, so there's no point in me posting for Elite. I give up.

Hysteria
01-24-16, 04:57 AM
Just chuck in a filler, have your minder burnt to a crisp and have Elite go crazy :D

Storm Veritas
01-26-16, 06:53 AM
Redford, Elite, need SOMETHING. Can one of you throw up a filler post to just keep yourselves alive?

Gnarl & Root
01-26-16, 01:50 PM
I'll try.

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
01-27-16, 07:03 AM
Right, let's kill this fucker.

I'm going to take a bit of damage in my next post in more or less the same way that Storm has. Hysteria has gone for the eye, and Elite the wing. I'm going to time my counterattack to co-incide with Elite Optic's after casting Senkai: Enpera Hitsugi to give me some more momentum. Then I'll head straight for that unprotected bit of flesh on it's body.

Apologies for my absence in the meantime. Glad to see i've not missed too much.

Storm Veritas
01-27-16, 07:56 AM
Get in there and (attempt to) kill something!

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
01-27-16, 09:32 AM
Get in there and (attempt to) kill something!

Sound advice for any budding dragon slayer.

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
01-27-16, 01:09 PM
Posted. Prepare for full scale war.

Storm Veritas
02-06-16, 06:03 AM
I think it's back to CoF / Sunwing, correct?

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
02-06-16, 10:28 AM
Yup. Just waiting on Cards, I think I PM'd him last week but I might be wrong. Feel free to nudge him if you like.

Cards of Fate
02-06-16, 02:33 PM
Ill try to have something up by sunday

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
02-11-16, 02:19 AM
Any news on this, Cards?

Cards of Fate
02-11-16, 08:05 AM
Sorry work has kicked me in the teeth, Im gonna try and write it tonight. You guys have the dragon on the ropes

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
02-11-16, 08:17 AM
Sorry work has kicked me in the teeth, Im gonna try and write it tonight. You guys have the dragon on the ropes

Cheers buddy!

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
02-12-16, 04:41 PM
Well, we kicked his ass.

One more post each as an outro before submission?

Storm Veritas
02-13-16, 06:32 AM
Yes. I don't know for certain that I'll be able to post today, but I hope so.

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
02-16-16, 04:41 AM
Thanks for posting Storm. I'll follow up tonight if I can.

Hysteria
02-16-16, 05:06 AM
Just a small post for me, moar dragon kills!

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
02-16-16, 07:28 AM
just a small post for me, moar dragon kills!

Dem dragon burgers, innit?

Gnarl & Root
02-16-16, 07:53 AM
Well get on it.

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
02-17-16, 10:04 AM
Posted my outro. Elite Optic next up!

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
02-20-16, 08:17 AM
Thread submitted for judgement.

Now we wait.

Storm Veritas
02-20-16, 09:29 AM
Thanks everyone! Quite a bit of fun to write with you all!

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
02-21-16, 04:30 AM
Thanks everyone! Quite a bit of fun to write with you all!

Same here. Would quite like to step it up a gear in another boss fight sometime soon.

Hysteria
02-21-16, 05:35 AM
check me out if you want to go again!
http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?30773-Cry-of-the-Dragon-Mother

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
02-21-16, 05:58 AM
I'm in.

Come on guys, let's get the super boy band back together for this one!