PDA

View Full Version : A test of stregnth

Cards of Fate
01-17-16, 03:22 PM
“Here we are.”

Vincent Cain hoisted a massive tome from the top shelf of an ancient bookshelf. Grunting, he plopped the comically large tome down onto a nearby table with a loud thud before scampering down to the surface. Brushing the dust from his august purple robes he stretched and eyed the text in front of him. It had taken him months to remember where he had placed Leona’s notes for running the Hierarchy, and with it he felt slightly more assured he would be making the right choice.

With a gloved hand he flipped the book open and began to peruse the hastily written scribbles of a man long dead, his eyes automatically translating ancient Raiaeran into something more easily comprehensible. “Let’s see….” he drawled as his fingers traced the dusty pages. “What to do when you think you’ve found a major Arcana…”

He tutted for a moment, his sapphire eyes scanning the list. “Not the fool...I’m the Emperor...AHA” He excitedly placed his finger down on the middle of the page. “Strength! Now we’re talking!” The scholar excitedly leaned in and began to read. “Turn to page...eight hundred and ninety three…”

The youth carefully flipped the decrepit, yellowing pages, before arriving at a large section simply titled. “The Test of Strength.” After a few moments the scholar nodded before smiling slightly.

“I think I know exactly what I need to do...”

redford
01-17-16, 03:25 PM
Several hours later the young Emperor found himself striding into the House of Cards’ forge, a large cave like room at one of the lowest rooms in the subterranean base. Before him John raised an arm and filled the air with the clang of hammer on steel, again and again. His armor reflected the amber light of the forge next to him, covering the front of his body and shielding him from the intense heat of the magmatic forge.

The giant raised a sword-shaped billet of steel, still glowing, close to his armored face, looking for any flaws in the metal. In looking, he turned his head to the side and glimpsed Vince out of the corner of his eye. He turned back to the metal, grabbing another hammer.

“Vince,” he said as the pounding resumed.

“John.” Vince exclaimed with arms wide open. “How are you finding the new forge? Took a bit of trouble to get it lit again, but I think it’s quite a step up from a farm in the middle of nowhere right?”

The scholar kept a safe distance between him and the giant who was hammering away at the incredibly hot metal, showering the surrounding area with sparks.

“It was a good place,” he replied, lifting the metal again, the orange glow of the sword reflecting off his face. He almost appeared as a golem, which didn’t seem that far off the mark considering how he spoke.

“I imagine you must dislike some of the lower ceilings upstairs. Down here though the roof is nice and high up, but you really feel the weight of the world though…” Vince trailed off for a moment. “Listen, when you get a chance could you reach a stopping point on that blade? I need to talk to you about something pretty important. He took a step back and bowed before stepping out the door. “I’ll be in the mess hall cooking up some chow! I bet smithing like that works up an appetite!”

Cards of Fate
01-17-16, 03:26 PM
John returned his attention to the glowing sword.

And to someone, this sword will be pretty important as well.

Either way he was nearly finished for the day, all he needed to do was temper the other two blades on the table and his day’s work would be complete. As he worked, he absently pondered what Vince had told him. For the happy-go-lucky, fun loving emperor of the Tarot Hierarchy, it was unlike him to take such a serious tone. He doubted that it was an issue that was too difficult for the other members of the team. He’d seen enough of the Hierarchy’s power to know that there wasn’t much that they couldn’t handle, with or without him. Perhaps it had something to do with Jamie…..

The giant doubled his speed, clearing his workstation and walking quickly toward the mess. He ascended the stairs to the main level, making sure to duck his head a little as he walked. The ceilings were just low enough to knock him on the head if he stood up straight. A pair of wide double doors appeared on his right and he entered the mess, seeing vince seated at one of the many square tables in the room. This room was taller, nearly as tall as the forge. Any room with the potential for fire had elevated ceilings, to allow the smoke to pool in the one room and to reduce the likelihood of suffocation. The giant snatched a large chair from one of the nearby tables and sat next to Vince, grabbing a napkin and wiping his hands on it.

Vince sat before several plates of foods John couldn’t quite put his finger on. One was clearly slices of thinly cut steak that had been seasoned and cooked to perfection. The other seemed be a stack of strange white disks that were roughly the size of the plate they were on. In front of him were also bowls of shredded cheese, a mysterious red sauce, and shredded lettuce. John paused for a moment, staring at the culinary mystery before him.

redford
“I’m guessing this is another one of your Earth foods?” The giant inquired, raising an eyebrow suspiciously.

“Yup.” Vince replied

John’s armor receded from his hands and forearms, moving up to his chest. he grabbed one of the bread discs, folding it over and biting down on it.

It was like bread, but more bland. John stared at the thing for a moment, and then looked up at Vincent.

“This is not very good, Vincent.”

“You’re supposed to assemble it John, like so.” The scholar set one of the large disks on his plate. “This is a tortilla, it’s made out of flour.” He then scooped several pieces of meat, a helping of cheese, and a small bundle of lettuce before folding it up and taking a bite. “You use the tortilla to bring it all together.”

John looked at the ingredients, then unfolded his ‘tortilla’, setting it down on a plate. He filled it with a generous helping of meat and cheese and greens, realizing too late that he could not fold the thing over adequately. He spoke as he struggled to unite the two ends of the tortilla.

“This is not why you summoned me, I doubt this is-” John growled at the confounding bread, noticing that he accidentally tore it in half.

screw this, he thought, picking up the pieces of meat and cheese in his hand and eating with his hand.

“Classy my friend. No, it’s not why I summoned you. Are you aware of the different roles in the Tarot Hierarchy?” he asked. “And what we’re working towards?”

John shifted his shirt a little, exposing a lone black sword on his right breast. “I am the Ace of Swords. I protect who needs protecting. Those are my concerns in the Hierarchy.” the giant tried again to make a tortilla with his massive fingers again, this time managing to spill the contents out of the other end as he bit down. Perhaps this food was meant to teach patience.

Vince nodded thoughtfully as his companion spoke, taking a bite of his food and chewing carefully. “Yes, you are the Ace of Swords, but here’s the question. Do you think you could handle...a promotion?”

Now this was important. Nobody in the Hierarchy got their arcana roles by chance, and certainly not by an easy path. John ignored the remains of the two tortillas he had. The smith admitted often that he didn’t know much about the Tarot Hierarchy as a whole, but he knew that what they were now discussing was no light matter. He leaned a little closer to VInce.

“What have you seen Vincent? A Major Arcana?”

The Emperor shrugged and took another bite, using the food in his mouth as an excuse to deliberate his words. “I’ve seen your role, and your path within the Hierarchy. A card has made itself known my friend, but first I must test you. I must make sure you are ready to take up the mantle of Fate.” He glanced at his friend and sighed, “It’s going to be rough.”

There was a moment of silence. John looked down at his hands, and felt the decision come to him unbidden. The armor crept back to his hands, coating them in protective metal. As it protected him, he would protect others.

“Will it help me defend my people?” He asked, already knowing the answer.

“It will help defend the world John.” Vince replied sollemnly. “Are you willing to face the task ahead of you?”

John was already standing.

“I’ll get my shield.”

Vince rose to his feet and grinned. “Shame you didn’t get to try my salsa, it’s to die for…” he paused for a moment. “Meet me in the wing of the third floor. You know, Ai’Brones Chamber? That’s where the test will begin.”

Cards of Fate
The long hallway to the Ai’Bron chamber was dimly lit, and left much of John’s thoughts about the trial ahead uncertain. But amidst his uncertainty, there was the constant desire. This was his destiny; to protect those who needed it, and in that he would not fail or falter. His armor grew a little tighter to his massive dehlar tower shield, it was thick and almost as tall as he was.

Soon the green glow of a portal overtook the orange of candles as John’s footsteps echoed in the narrow hallway. There was no hesitation in his step, there could be no uncertainty in his desire. He strode into the portal without pause.

Light from an open doorway blinded him for a moment and as his eyes adjusted, he saw the arena from an anteroom he was in. Yellowed stone walls circled an arena, with bleachered seating rising high into the sky, all hewn of the same stone. He used to come by on his days off and wait for a contender, though this time it was different. A statue stood to his immediate right inside the room, atop a pedestal sat the likeness of a monk of Ai’Bron, his head resting on a palm, much like he was napping. Momentarily taken by curiosity, John looked closely at the statue. it was quite lifelike. Almost unnervingly so, in fact. The statue stirred to life, opening its stoney eyes to reveal clear marble spheres for eyes. It sat up and blinked for a few moments.

“It’s rude to stare Mr. Cromwell.” it cooed, its voice strangely silky for a statue.

John started, backing up a pace. He regained his composure, still eyeing the statue. “That doesn’t stop people from staring anyways,” he said.

“True,” the statue replied shrugging. “But I suppose if I remind you now, you might refrain in the future.” the statue let out a throaty chuckle. “Normally I’d ask you what type of arena you want to be fighting in, but it appears that Mr. Cain has...quite the spectacle in store for you. He has direct command over the room at this time. Do you have any aches or pains for me to attend to before we begin?”

John didn’t know exactly what ‘direct command’ was, but he was sure it didn’t mean he would be filling the arena with roses. He ached from the day’s labor, but the words of one of his old mentors held his tongue.

“Seldom are warriors called under perfect circumstance. You must be ready to fight, even if you are not ready.”

The giant’s jaw clenched as he directed his gaze to the arena. Whatever ‘test’ Vincent had in store, John intended to pass. He glanced at the stone monk.

“No.”

The statue tutted slightly before snapping his fingers. The doors at the end of the room slowly creaked open, flooding the room with more light. “Then go John Cromwell, and let Strength be granted. Gods know you will need it.”

John steeled his resolve. I have it already.

redford
01-17-16, 03:27 PM
As John stepped into the light he found himself in the center of arena, his feet buried slightly in the loose sand that made up the floor. He squinted his eyes and peered around for a brief moment. Vince was nowhere to be found, instead he was simply bathed in sweltering heat. After several moments a loud crack sounded behind the giant, and he turned to find Vincent standing twenty feet behind him, stretching without a care in the world.

“Well bud…” Vince called out as he yawned. “Time to begin your trial. There’s a lot of pomp and circumstance to this sort of thing, ancient tradition and all that jazz so please do bear with me as we go through all of this. I’ll try not to talk your ear off but the script is...wordy.” A smile played across the scholars lips as he spoke, he was enjoying himself slightly.

“As you know we are the Tarot Hierarchy, a secret society formed around the gathering and researching of magical artifacts. We also serve another purpose as well, to guard against the abuse of magic. This is the third incarnation of the Tarot Hierarchy now, and we have a very specific set before us. The first Hierarchy was formed shortly after the old ones forged the Eternal Tap, chosen to guide the world in the use of its power. The Second Hierarchy was formed during the war of the Tap, in which several rogue magicians strode to use the Tap for their own benefit, to become gods and lord over man. They were stopped, and the Tap was sundered to prevent anyone from ever being able to destroy as efficiently as they had. We have been tasked with the clean-up of our ancestors, to right the mistakes of our organization's past.” The scholar snapped his finger and out of a blast of blue light came a simple yet elegant cane.

“We have our work cut out for us my dear friend, and in order to accomplish what we need to, we will need strength. Not just of body, but of mind and of spirit. I have watched you up close and from afar, and I have determined that you possess these qualities. Now, we shall stand and see how strong you truly are, and if you are truly worth the title...of the Strength Arcana.”

John nodded. “We shall,” He stood a little straighter, and lifted his shield a little.

Without warning Vince grunted and unleashed a torrent of lightning from the tip of his cane, aiming directly for the human lightning rod that was John. “STEP ONE.” Vince roared. “Is to test your physical strength in combat.” The lightning crackled and the sharp smell of ozone filled the air.

John plunged his shield into the ground with his left hand as the lightning hit. The dehlar of the shield resisted, but only so much, and John felt spasms in his body as the electricity coursed through his armor and into the ground. The giant kicked the bottom of his shield, buried in the sand of the arena. It sent up a cloud of sand and dust, and he rushed Vincent with as much speed as he could muster, raising his shield.

The torrent of lightning ended a few seconds after it had begun, leaving the giant’s dash unimpeded as he rushed his aggressor. When he had closed the gap he swung his shield with all his might at Vincent, letting out a grunt as he hefted the massive bulwark. His blow sailed cleanly through a cloud of blue sparks, and a loud cracking sounded behind John.

When he turned he found Vincent swinging his cane full force at the giant, who had no choice but to simply brace for impact. The cane let out a wicked crack, and John’s entire body was blasted with a tremendous amount of force, knocking him off his feet and sending him comically flying through the air only to crash in the bleachers on the other side of the colosseum, a couple hundred yards away.

“That’s a homerun for sure!.” Vincent called out as he shielded his eyes from the sun to gaze at his foe. “You alright over there? Would be a shame if this ended early.”

John’s head sung a song of pain in his mind. He knew he had to have broken a rib, probably more than one. A deep breath stabbed his side with pain anew, and he mustered the will to stand, hefting his shield to his right side to shield it. He descended the bleachers, refusing to limp on a bruised ankle. There had been other fights. Worse fights. There would be worse fights in the future.

And Vincent Cain would not be the one to break him.

Cards of Fate
01-17-16, 03:28 PM
“It will end,” John said, readying his shield once more, “when you decide it ends.”

Vince nodded for a moment before dashing forward at a breakneck speed, cane twirling in his fingers. John grunted and dashed forward to meet him. The scholar opened up with a flurry of three cane strikes, before taking a step backwards. John not only managed to block them with his massive shield, but found time to swing his shield once more at the scholar. Vincent quickly sidestepped the slow attack, letting the shield slam into the ground and kicking up a spray of dust before letting out another quick flurry of attacks aimed at the giants exposed body.

John was faster than that though, and quickly leaped backwards to avoid the blows. He grew a spike on the end of his fist, which sharpened into a sword, and swung his shield over his head, disengaging his armor at the apex. The massive slab of dehlar sailed through the air, and John followed, aiming to take Vincent where he ended his dodge.

The scholar quickly snapped his fingers, and in his other hand was a simple steel sword. He quickly sidestepped the thrown shield and opted to lock blades with the giant, willing the energy from the initial strike to be quartered. John’s other hand swung upwards, growing a small mace at the end of his clenched fist.

His fist careened upwards into what would have been a sure hit, yet once more Vincent disappeared into a flash of blue sparks leaving the giant’s attack to sail uselessly into the air. A loud crack sounded off once more with Vince once again behind him. With a grim scowl he swung his cane full force, willing the impact to amplify and send the giant flying once more, skidding across the sand before he slammed into the opposing wall just below the bleachers.

“Your attacks are reckless John!” Vince called out. “I’ve gotten you with the same trick twice.”

John spat blood out of his mouth, rolling into a kneel. He stood a bit slower this time, and had to shake his head to keep the dizziness at bay. Before he had time to find a snarky comeback, he found his massive shield sailing through the air at him. The giant barely had time to lean to the side, and the shield impaled itself into the wall behind him, sending bits of rock and debris flying, while it remained stuck there, like a dart in a dartboard.

“I do believe it’s worth mentioning here in this room I can manipulate how strong I actually am my good man. Right now I’m modeling my strength after Tobias Stalt, although with some of my own tricks in the mix to make things more interesting.”

redford
01-17-16, 03:28 PM
“I believe that’s part of the test, Vincent,” John said, spitting another bit of congealed blood out of his mouth with a cough. He still refused to limp as he yanked his shield out of the wall, setting it against his left arm. He focused for a moment, and his liquid metal armor grew thick on his injuries. He crouched, waiting on another move from Vincent.

“You’d be correct, a test that you’re passing so far.” Vince cracked his neck. “But here’s the real question. With those injuries I wonder if you could handle if I made you…” The scholar's eyes flashed blue. “KNEEL!”

The word escaped his lips in a tongue that John had never heard before, and the effects were immediate. The entire colosseum began to buckle under the pressure of some unseen force, quadrupling the force of gravity on the entire area as Vince’s eyes glowed. “Let’s see your strength in the face of the Emperor’s might! Ten steps, and we’ll call this portion of the test over.”

The weight pressed everywhere on John’s body, his already massive form pressed by more than a ton of weight. The giant growled, trying to retain his balance. He ground out his words through labored breathing, more to himself than anyone. His shield disengaged from his wrist, landing on the ground where it cracked the stone.

“I have not knelt in thirty-four years, and I will not start today.”

He raised his left foot, and a bone in his right foot snapped. The armored man had no breath with which to scream, so he simply sucked in air, shifting his left foot forward. His eyes locked with Vincent’s as he brought his right foot up for his second step, the pain alleviated by the lack of weight. He let it down quickly, and this time he had the breath for a scream. He squeezed his eyes shut and yelled, opening them as he brought his next step forward. Pain flooded his mind anew with every moment, and he felt dizzy, as if he were watching someone else struggle to take the steps. His fifth renewed the agony in his right foot, and he felt something else break in his leg. He screamed again, more at Vincent than anything as he nearly stumbled, his will over his armor the only thing holding his right leg intact. His next three steps nearly broke him, each movement of his legs grinding the broken bones within. The pain blinded him, deafened him to all but his screams, blocked out all but the steps.

Two more. A thought flashed in John’s pain-addled mind, of others made to walk the same path he was. Jamie, Hawl, and Logan flashed in his mind, bodies broken before the weight he bore.

And then it became clear. He felt the pain so they didn’t have to. It was the only clear thought in his head as he took his ninth step. John opened his eyes as he brought his left leg forward for the last one as something else broke inside him, flooding his mind with new lances of pain. He stared at Vincent, scarcely two paces away, and tried to scream, but found himself hoarse. He dragged his right leg, all but useless behind him, and stood before Vincent. With all his remaining strength and will, he thought of Jamie and raised himself up to his full height before the Emperor. He struggled to breathe in under the pressure, and managed to utter one word.

“Ten,” the word escaped his lips as almost a whisper.

“Ten.” Vincent replied, and suddenly the pressure was gone. The scholar eyed the giant up and down before smiling. “Knew you had it in you.” He paused for a moment and snapped his fingers. “Ai’brone, pull us out and begin the healing process for John.”

Cards of Fate
01-17-16, 03:29 PM
With that the entire world around them shattered and faded to black, obscuring Vincent from John’s vision. We he came to he was lying in a massive bed in a strange room he had never seen before. Standing above him was the statue, one more casting his marble eyes over the giant. John spoke weakly.

“Hasn’t anyone ever told you,” John said, swallowing as a faint smirk emerged on his face. “It’s rude to stare.”

“I’ll have to keep that in mind next time I see a giant get both his legs shattered by a man half his weight…” The golem quipped. “That being said I need you to drink this.” he offered John a small glass filled with amber liquid. “It’ll burn like hellfire, but you’ll be able to walk to Vince to start the next portion of your test.” The Ai’brone paused. “The hard part’s over.”

John took the dark gold liquid and tipped it back quickly. He winced as the liquid passed through his body, and he felt movement in his legs as the bones set themselves and sealed their breaches. He rolled himself a little to the side to sit up, and looked at his shirt, now in tatters on the floor.

He better buy me a shirt after this is all over, John mused as he pressed on his knees to stand. He willed his armor to fashion into a makeshift metal shirt which clung to his skin, and walked around the bed to leave, swinging his arm to loosen his shoulder.

redford
The Giant found Vincent sitting in the center of the library, where one would normally expect to find him buried, in a mountain of ancient texts. Instead, everything had been cleared out. The large oaken tables sat completely devoid of any texts or hastily scribbled notes on crumpled parchment. In fact, it looked like the scholar had all but abandoned his “nest.”

“Morning sleeping beauty.” Vince grunted as he raised a mug filled with warm cider to his mouth.

“How long did I sleep?” John asked, filling his nostrils with the smell of cinnamon and apple. He quickly found a large jug on the table, which he assumed to be the source. His armor grew in a circle and formed a bottom, making a cup. He poured it and drank, sitting down in the largest chair he could find.

“I’d say a day or two...gave me enough time to clean up this place.” Vince raised an eyebrow at his colleagues makeshift cup before continuing. “I needed to make the final move to my study.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” The giant asked, raising an eyebrow as he took another sip, nearly emptying his cup.

“Well, the restoration team managed to open the bottom floor up recently, and it turns out the Emperor, Empress, and Judgement cards have special quarters down there.” The scholar took a sip and sighed. “Alyssa has demanded I cease squatting here in the Library and move my mess into my private quarters.” His eyes shot from bookcase to bookcase. “Fuck, I must have practically lived in this room for the past...two years?”

“Literally,” John added, reaching for the jug again. He was parched from his two days in the infirmary, and the cider helped quench him. The scholar sighted and stretched a little.

“That being said, let’s move to phase two of your trial. I think you’ll be glad to find that this one has less beatings involved.” The scholar chuckled for a moment and nervously ran a hand through his hair. “Tell me John, why do men like you and I strive to be strong?”

“Because others are not,” John answered simply. He continued, looking down into his cup. “And there are strong men who would do evil to those who are not.”

Vince chewed his lip slightly and continued.

“Exactly. Here in the Tarot Hierarchy, we are looking to protect the weak from those who would abuse magic. We are their defense against the darkness in the heart of man.” He paused. “Do you know why Tobias isn’t the Stregnth Arcana?”

John considered the darkness in his own heart, and wondered if Vincent would have been so forthcoming with this ‘promotion’ if he knew all that his rage had done. He looked down at Vincent across the table.

“No.” The scholar smirked at his companions simple answer and shrugged.

“Because Tobias has let his own darkness consume him, not to drag him to evil, but to bring himself to hate his very being. He thinks his sins make him a monster.” Vincent paused. “You made a mistake in your past too, but I’ve never seen it stop you from walking the path you thought was the right one.”

“Every man thinks his path is the right one. Thinking it does not make it so.”

“Perhaps.” The two paused, silence filling the air as Vincent mulled over his response. “But-

“My path is to protect the ones I care about. Make of that what you will.” The scholar frowned for a moment.

“What about people you’ve never met? The innocent you’ve never met? Will you be their shield?”

“My shield is only so large, Vincent.”

“Yes, but if it’s blocks the right foes, stops the right attacks, it can save millions”

John thought for a moment, staring into his cup. “Who does the Tarot protect?” Vince frowned slightly as he chewed his lips.

“Well, everyone I would hope.”

The giant drained his cup, and the armor reformed into his arm, a few drops of cider falling from his hand. “Vincent, if the Tarot shields the world from evil, then I will be the Tarot’s shield. I will stand at the vanguard with you till the end.” The scholar smiled and rose from his seat.

Cards of Fate
“Come with me, I want to show you something…” The Giant rose to his feet and shuffled noisily behind Vincent as he lead the way deeper into the base. As they descended the stairs into the bowels of the earth they both remained silent. After what felt like ages they found themselves at the very bottom of the large spiral staircase that connected all of the floors of the House of Cards, in a room John couldn’t recall visiting. Before them a grand doorway stood tall, carved out of ancient redwood. To either side the hallway curved off from sight.

The scholar planted both his feet and pushed the doors wide open with a loud creak. Before them stood a massive circular room with a vaulted ceiling that seemed impossibly high for how deep they were below ground. The floor was a creamy marble color, save for a crimson pentacle etched into it with some mysterious material. Dangling from the ceiling was a massive chandelier, bearing an equally large crystal that would dwarf even John.

Humming softly, it bathed the room in a celestial glow, which reflected beautifully off of twenty-two ornate silver thrones arranged in a circle along the wall. Ephemeral light danced around the massive courtroom. “This...is the Chamber of the Arcana. Someday, when we have every Arcana member, we will be able to hold court here and discuss the fate of the Hierarchy…” Vince trailed off. “But it also serves another purpose my friend. Hanging above us is a shard of the Eternal tap, a reminder of our failures of the past and what we stand for. It is here that every Arcana traditionally is sworn into their position. Are you ready?”

John stared blankly at the shard for a moment. In this moment, he felt the pull more than ever. Something intangible tugged at his innermost thoughts, telling him that this was his destiny. He looked back at Vincent and nodded. He was ready.

The scholar took a deep breath and paused for a moment. He held an open hand out and snapped his fingers, drawing an ornate blade from a burst of blue sparks. He extended his other hand and snapped his fingers, summoning a large chalice made of gold.

“John Cromwell, you have been chosen by Fate. You have been tested and found worthy of the title of Strength Arcana. From this day forward you shall serve the Hierarchy as it’s shield, and as an example to all. You embody strength, and when all else fails you will be at the vanguard. Step forward and offer your blood to the Chalice of Cups, and let your very soul be branded with the charge you have chosen to accept.” The scholar offered the dagger to the giant whilst holding the cup in his other hand.

He took the dagger in a massive hand, holding his other up and closing it around the blade as he willed the armor away from his hand. A quick tug and a wince later, and John bled freely, holding his left hand over the cup to fill it with his blood. As it dripped into the cup, John considered the monumental nature of his actions. His commitments to the Hierarchy were no longer simple words, they were sealed in blood.

The gem above them began to glow brighter, focusing its beams on the giant for a moment. A burning sensation ran down his back, and soon he could tell without looking that he had been branded with the Strength Card. A large clenched fist stood above the letters “XI.”

“It is done.” Vincent nodded and watched with mild fascination as the blood drained from the chalice into thin air, leaving it unstained. “Congratulations John.”

redford
01-17-16, 03:30 PM
The giant craned his neck to try and see the brand. He reached a scarred hand around his shoulder, trying to feel it. Hmphing, John grew his armor from his legs to his torso covering the mark, which remained matte black, almost as if it showed through his armor. The metal around the mark reflected the cavern's light dimly.

“Should I go find a mirror for you? It looks quite becoming of you.” Vince muttered eyeing the mark. “A lot cooler than mine.” Vince opened his robes slightly to expose his chest. Sitting right above his heart was a crown with the roman numeral “V.”

“Yours looks good,” John said, waving his hand at the suggestion of a mirror. It was there, and that was enough. Vince chuckled and then took a step forward and set a hand on the giant’s shoulder. “Hey...sorry about beating the shit out of you. It was the test, nothing more. No malice or none of that…” the scholar trailed off. “Wanna go out and get drinks?”

“Vince the nearest town is on the other side of the continent.” John commented. The scholar simply whipped out a golden ring and smirked.

“No problem for the Chariot my friend, no problem at all.”

Philomel
01-18-16, 05:03 PM
Thread Name: A Test Of Strength (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?30547-A-test-of-stregnth)
Workshop Request Judgement

Rewards:

Cards of Fate (http://www.althanas.com/world/member.php?17720-Cards-of-Fate) receives:
835 EXP
100 GP

Reford (http://www.althanas.com/world/member.php?18142-redford) receives:
780 EXP
80 GP

Lye
02-08-16, 10:07 AM
EXP & GP Added.