PDA

View Full Version : Time to get badasser!

Cyrus the virus
11-08-06, 02:34 AM
Luc Kraus walked into the bazaar with a heavy purse. He didn't expect to walk out the same way.

"Do you sell wands?" he asked, but strangely didn't bother to await the answer. "I have a few in mind I'd like to purchase. I'll describe them to you, and you can let me know your prices.

The first is a wand of webbing. When used it launches a giant spiderweb made of indestructable sticky strands. It sticks to just about anything it touches, but the effect goes away after only a few moments.

The second is a wand of bedlam. When used it creates a series of noises louder than anything you can imagine. The user of the wand is immune to the sounds, which stop after a few seconds.

The third is a wand of disguise. Using it makes the target of the wand take on the appearance of whatever the wand user wants. The effect lasts for an hour in most cases, but using several charges from the wand greatly increases the length of time it works for.

The fourth is a wand of mist, which lets the user cover the area around him with a thick grey fog. The fog is not high, but it is thick and nearly impossible to see through. The effect lasts as long as a normal mist would, or until it's blown away by the wind.

The last is a duplication wand. Using it lets the wand wielder create 5 copies of himself which act according to the real one's will. They are incapable of attacking in battle."

Heaving a great sigh after taking a breath, Luc spoke again. "Have any in stock?"

((Wands have charges to them, meaning they can only be used a certain amount of times. This should factor into the price of each one. If you want to say how many charges each one has, feel free to.))

AdventWings
11-08-06, 08:01 AM
"Yes indeed, we sell wands, sir! I'll just be over in a moment!"

Stupid entangle spells! Just wait until I get a hang of using you, you!

Kina stumbled from the storage room a few seconds later, her left arm caught in a web of red strings and tied to a bundle of odd-looking yew wands she had been trying to file away under "Wands of Trapping." She wished she could use magic herself, but the cost of enrolling was too high for her parents to afford. Therefore, the young human girl decided to work at this magic store to help herself get acquainted with them. So far, no luck.

"Hi! So, that will be those five wands you wanted, Mister..." The young blonde halted in her tracks when she saw Luc standing there, his cape billowing on its own from mysterious forces. Wow... A real mage...

"Oh, uh, oh! Ah, yes! I'll check the stock for you, sir!" The lass stammered in embarassment for staring at her customer. "I'll be back shortly!"

Kina, flushed red from embarassment, hurried into the backroom where the many different wands are stacked neatly in their places.

"Uhh, now what was it again?" She murmured, browsing the countless shelves of wands and rods. "...OK, so here's that, and that... Oh, there it is! And there are those two!"

Shortly afterwards, she came skipping back to the front of the store with an arm full of different wands and rods, each looking just a little different from each other.

"OK!" She said happily, preparing to entertain her customer. The wands spread out neatly on the long oak counter.

"These here are your 'Wands of Webbing.' These aren't too cheap, regardless of what meterial you may want them to be. The low-quality ones have three charges each and will run you 250 gold pieces. If you want better ones with five charges, those will cost 400 gold pieces.

The webs aren't that strong in lower quality ones, but they do tend to last longer than the higher-quality wands. The duration for low quality ones last about ten seconds, but if you're looking for indestructible wands those will last for only five seconds for each charge."

Kina moved away from the webbing wands, still put off by how tricky they were for her, and waved a hand over the next set of wands.

"These are your 'Wands of Bedlam.' Sure to make your enemies half-deaf and stunned by powerful noise! Of course, you should be careful about using these because they're notorious for giving other people dizzy fevers. These will create sound that last for a very short period of time, though the volume and intensity of it makes up for it by far. These will run you 200 for three charges to 350 for five charges."

Next, she moved over to where a bundle of wands with odd-shaped heads were laid out. "These, are the 'Wands of Disguise.'" She spoke up in a creepy voice, coming off more as a cute ghost than a scary one. "Wanna change someone into a sheep? Boom! You've got it! Well, we don't actually carry wands that are multi-purpose like you asked for..." She scratched her cheeks timidly. "But we do have a wide array of transformation spells inscribed into them. Right now, we have five types of transformation wands in stock: Sheep, Frog, Goat, Bear and Wolf. If you want something more specific, you can make a note and we will look into obtaining it for you. It might take a while before we're ready, so I'll let you know once we have it in stock. These wands have four charges each and will run you 240 gold each."

"And next, we have the 'Wands of Mist.' These wands are fairly good and very reliable. The fog can reach up to about the size of a small courtyard and can stay for about five minutes, unless there's strong wind. These will run you 400 each."

She then moved over to another group of wands, each displaying a small round ball at the tips with five horns sticking out from the top.

"The Wands of Duplication." The merchant cleared her throat after having spoken non-stop for a while. "These are actually hard to come by, even for us. It is also quite hard to create, so we only have four in stock right now. Each will create duplicates as you needed, though they will remain for only about an hour and a half, two hours tops. They're pretty weak, physically, but if you need decoys, then these wands are the ones for you! They have two charges each and, considering that these are hard to make already, will cost you 750 gold pieces each."

Kina wiped a bead of sweat from her forehead after finishing the descriptions, looking at the reaction from her customers. It was not often people would by magical wands in bulk, mostly because they were quite expensive to begin with. Still, she wanted to impress her magey-ness and wanted to make a sale as well. So, she came up with a bargain.

"By the way, sir? Do you have a budget in mind for your purchase? I can set up a set for you if I know how much you are willing to spend." She smiled at Luc, trying to send him some of her charms and heart. She didn't know how he would take it, but the lass just couldn't help but swoon over a magic-user.

Cyrus the virus
11-08-06, 08:19 AM
((Nicely done :p))

Luc listened carefully to each description given to him, nodding with interest and appreciation while the shopkeeper details the effects of each wand.

"Budget?" he responded when she asked. "All I have, which is almost two thousand gold. I'll definately take high quality wand of webbing for 400, and a three-charge wand of bedlam for 200. As for the wand of disguise, I was more leaning toward something that would change my own clothes and personal features, or those of an ally or enemy. Perhaps if I wanted to walk in Alerar without notice, I could use the wand to look like a Drow. Because of this, I would need something that lasted a bit longer than you described. Do you have anything like that?"

He 'harrumphed', and considered the others she had described. "I've changed my mind about the wand of mist, so you can keep those. The wand of duplication I will consider, but haven't decided yet."

"Do you have other wands in stock you would care to describe to me? I'm interested in anything but attack wands, for I have more than enough of that sort of thing in my own magical arsenal," he said, grinning at the beaming eyes of the woman as he spoke. "Of course, if you have something particularly interesting in that regard you can feel free to tell me about it as well."

((600 so far spent! If it's not too much trouble, can you come up with some different wands for me? I bet you'd be pretty good at it :p No need for long descriptions, because that would take a lot of your time. I'm looking to spend every piece of gold Luc has, since he really doesn't need it other than for this.))

AdventWings
11-08-06, 12:09 PM
((You said it. ;)))

Kina made quick, shy glances at the mage as she noted down the items he wished to buy as well as their prices. She would have to look into the another shelf for the transformation wands he wanted, which shouldn't take longer than a few minutes, but the wand of mist she was a bit let down because she like that spell the most out of all five. Creating an impenetrable mist would be so romantic if she was stuck in the middle of it with another man. Especially if he was a mage as good-looking as this one.

"Alright, sir!" The eighteen-years-old girl piped up after finishing her chicken scratch on a parchment, "That's one 'Wand of Webbing' with five charges and one 'Wand of Bedlam' with three charges. I will go and see what else we have in our stockroom, sir! Please wait for few moments."

Kina smiled sheepishly as she made her way into the storage room, making quick shy glances at Luc until she disappeared behind the sturdy oak door. After catching her breath and slowing her beating heart down, she immediately set out on her search.

Minutes went by in the tiny back room and she had found some interesting magical wands, some of which she thought would be particularly useful for the handsome mage outside. Smiling to herself, she went to look for the last thing remaining on her mental list.

"OK, let's see... Wands of Terraforming... Transforming Wands... Terrarerra Wands... Oh! There it is!"

The lass got up onto a low stool inside the room and reached up towards a high shelf, trying to steady herself on the wobbly platform. It took her some time before her hand snagged three of them - almost at the same time she lost her footing.

"Aiiee!"

Crash!

Poof!

A few seconds later, Kina emerged from through the backroom door and headed towards the counter clumsily, dragging the bag of wands behind her. One by one, the wands were slowly tossed over the edge until all of them were lined on the counter apart from the ones she had brought out earlier. For her, it was another half minute before she could make her way up a length of rope and onto the counter itself.

"OK!" She let out a sigh, already tired out from having to climbed all the way up onto the counter. "These... are the wands... that you might be interested... *huff* in."

The tiny girl, now appearing no larger than the wands themselves, tip-toed over what appeared to be clusters of logs to her and stopped at a pile with shiny bronze heads. "These are Wands of Illumination, though I prefer to call them Flashers myself." She attempted a weak smile and continued. "They give out a very bright burst of light, ultimately engulfing an entire area with a blinding flash that can cause temporary blindness as well as numbness. These are fairly popular among many of our customers, especially those who would just want to make a quick getaway. The bursts themselves are very short, like the Wands of Bedlam, but the duration of effects can last up to a full minute for those who are not used to bright lights or are sensitive to it. They have four charges each and cost 360 gold pieces a wand."

Kina hopped over the Flashers, her work skirts blowing up for a moment as she landed and the lass had to quickly slap it back down, not wanting to embarass herself in front of a mage for the third time today. "OK, these are 'Wands of the Shadow.'" She said, stopping at the next pile of logs with black polished resin as their heads. "If you need to get away from the sun, or need to keep someone in the dark, use one of these and it's an enchanter's guarantee! These wands can create a sizable shadow in a cone above the user, reaching up to about seven feet and stretching out to about five feet across. You would feel like you were hiding in the shadow of something quite solid, which is also good as a substitute for an umbrella. It's guaranteed to block even the strongest of daylight and turn it into a cool shade, though it only lasts for about five minutes per charge. We have ones with three charges running at 300 per wand."

The miniaturized storekeeper tip-toed over to another pile of wands, clearing her throat before she began. "These wands here are 'Wands of Telepathy.' Want to know what the person next to you is thinking? Well, why not! Of course, you would need an object taken directly from that person within a few minutes and sandwich it between the clamps on the wand's head..." She said, pointing to the forked ivory attached to the top of the wands, "...and focus on that person for about ten seconds. People who have some telepathic affinities could even prodice results faster than regular, non-magical humans like me." She smiled sheepishly before continuing. "Oh, yes. You will also need to be within a hundred yards of the person as well, or the telepathic link won't reach you. There are four charges on each wand and each charge last for about two minutes. The wands themselves are 500 gold pieces each."

The lass jumped over the forked wands and walked over to the Wands of Transformation which she had recently fetched from the backroom.

"And here are your Transformation Wands! These can create vague disguises for you or your allies and enemies if you choose, although the quality of the disguises depend on the user's imagination and creativity itself. The disguises typically lasts for about three hours per charge, and with four charges per wand should be enough for anyone making long excursions in hostile territories. Oh, and each wands cost 800 gold pieces each."

Kina hopped forward towards the giat-size Luc and smiled, hoping to make a good impression on the mage.

"I hope this is what you were looking for, sir. If there is anthing else, I will see to it myself."

Oh, boy. What a time to be shrunk like this... Kina grumbled to herself and her clumsiness. Master Revah is so going to dock my pay.

Cyrus the virus
11-08-06, 01:28 PM
Luc grinned while the tiny thing bumbled around, clumsily making noise, but doing her job nonetheless. He nodded several times during the course of her descriptions, measuring the value of each wand against the sweet weight of the gold on his hip.

"I'll need a transformation wand, that's for sure, so give me one of those," he said, mumbling afterward about the price of the magical object. "And a wand of telepathy. I'd buy more, but I've limited funds."

Grumbling, Luc set to the task of counting platinum pieces, placing the equivilent of 1900 gold on the counter in front of the shopkeep and snatching up his new items.

"Thanks, lass. These wands should do nicely for me."

With that, he left, a knowing grin on his face.

AdventWings
11-08-06, 09:51 PM
Kina was glad her shrunken state had not driven away her prospective customer, though she was greatly embarassed to be seen in such a form in front of someone she so truly admires.

"OK, sir, so that will be..." She lass squeaked while the mage counted out his money, "One Wand of Webbing for 400, one Wand of Bedlam for 200, one Wand of Transformation for 800 and one Wand of Telepathy for 500. 1900 gold pieces total, sir."

The tiny girl watched as a shimmering pile of gold coins poured onto the table and the giant mage as he collected his items. She was glad to be of help to anyone within the realm of magic, hoping that one day the affinity towards it would somehow rub off on her in the end.

"Thank you, good sir! Please visit us again!"

((Deduct 1900 GP from Cyrus the Virus and add 50 EXP as well.))