PDA

View Full Version : Are you paying attention?

Hysteria
04-02-16, 08:54 AM
In the gaze of the moon (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?30785-In-the-gaze-of-the-moon) was completed recently, and I wanted to check who has been paying attention to some of the (subtle?) details.

So, here are some questions! 50 gold will be awarded for each correct answer and it's first in, first serve. Be warned, if you edit your post I'll assume you've cheated and award the gold to the next person with the right answer. Also, scatter-gram answers (ie posting over and over to get the right answer) will also be greeted with a similar ignorehammer.

If you answer some, then answer the rest in another post, that's fine.

So questions!

1. Who is the doctor? 50gp

2. Jormungstadt is a portmanteau of which two non-english words (and what do they mean/referance?) 50gp each

3. Lightning originally created by Storm Veritas destroyed most of the town, what god would that make him? 50gp

4. Moonwing called Sunwing 'Sonne'. What are two possible meanings of this name? 50gp each

5. What name was given to Arztschlange by the Alerar military? 50gp

Give me your answers yo.

redford
04-02-16, 11:25 AM
Jormungstadt

Jormung- from the old norse jormungstadt meaning 'mighty' or 'powerful'

-stadt from german meaning 'town'

redford
04-02-16, 11:28 AM
Normally I would say that the lightning created by Veritas would make him Thor, but given the fickle nature of the Greek gods and his closer affinity to lightning I would have to say Zeus.

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
04-02-16, 12:01 PM
Q4.

"Sonne" is German for "Sun". Moonwing could have been referencing Sunwing's connection to fire, or is simply shortening his name in the way that someone would shorten Christopher to Chris.

"Sonne" is also translates from French to "sounds", although I could not tell you the connection.

"Sonne" is also the name of a kickass single from Ramnstein's album "Mutter", which translates to "Mother" in English from German. It could be a reference to Moonwing's maternal connection with Sunwing.

Storm Veritas
04-02-16, 03:02 PM
Either Zeus in Greek or Raijin/Raiden in Japanese mythology could do what Storm does (and then some).

Hysteria
04-02-16, 05:17 PM
Stadt is indeed 'town'. However, the rest of Jormungstadt is a mythical reference which might help you with which God it is.

Shin is correct in regards to Sonne and the german translation of Sun. It is also a potential shortening of a longer name as he pointed out, and a good old fashioned pun on 'son'. When Moonwing said, 'killed my Sonne' it could be read as 'killed my son' or 'killed my sun' or ' killed my Sonne' (with the latter being a name).

100gp for shin!

Karuka
04-02-16, 05:27 PM
Jormungand? The Great Serpent that ate its own tail?

Hysteria
04-02-16, 05:51 PM
Correct! 50gp to Karuka! The battle took place in The Town of the Giant Serpent.

1. Who is the doctor? 50gp

2. Jormungstadt is a portmanteau of which two non-english words (and what do they mean/referance?) 50gp each

3. Lightning originally created by Storm Veritas destroyed most of the town, what god would that make him? 50gp

4. Moonwing called Sunwing 'Sonne'. What are two possible meanings of this name? 50gp each

5. What name was given to Arztschlange by the Alerar military? 50gp

Revenant
04-02-16, 07:08 PM
3. Since Veritas is a Roman Goddess, I'm guessing Saturn.

5. Ugh ... Stinky?

Bard
04-02-16, 07:12 PM
3. Lightning originally created by Storm Veritas destroyed most of the town, what god would that make him?

That would make him Thor, as the god and Jormungand are rivals.

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
04-03-16, 03:18 AM
Nothing like using a German industrial metal band to determine the maternal name-calling between two fictional dragons.

Hysteria
04-03-16, 07:47 PM
@Revenant: correct! Arztschlange was indeed called Stinky. For those who don't know, a similar boss battle (before they were boss battles) was held on the back of a dragon infected with a plage started by Madison Freebird. The dragon was completely unresponsive, driven crazy by the infection. That dragon, as we just found out, was called Arztschlange. Given the noxious gasses comming off it, the Alerar military called it Stinky.

@Bard: Correct! Thor and Jormungand were rivals, set to fight at ragnarok. There was some unintended poetry that occurred when Storms lightning attack ended up destroying a large proportion of the town.

50 gold each!

@Shin, unfortunately that was unintended. I had never heard of that until googling Sonne.

@Everyone else:

One question left, and as a hint, the name was only mentioned in passing (by me) in the thread, but has been mentioned a few times in this thread.

1. Who is the doctor?

Storm Veritas
04-03-16, 10:09 PM
Based on derivative word searches, and images that tie it to the image of the snake on a dagger (common in Pharmaceutical imagery), "Arztschlange" is the doctor.

Hysteria
04-03-16, 11:18 PM
Indeed! So another portmanteau of two german words, Doctor and Serpent. I didn't realise till later that the snake around the dagger had the same name. 50gp to Storm!

Add in the despair in him being infected by a plage caused by humans, and that's some deep stuff.

https://media1.giphy.com/media/tDOwHqLWykZgI/200w.gif

Thanks for playing all. I'll organise the gp.

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
04-04-16, 02:10 AM
Trust me Hysteria, I loved it, however unintentional it was. :)