PDA

View Full Version : Rocks in the Bazaar Tier System

Flamebird
04-13-16, 11:53 AM
Ello,

I'm hoping to write a thread where I could get a spoil on certain weapons that are, in fact, made of stone (at least three Clovis spear points) And so, I went to the bazaar wiki to see what type of materials would fit it best (bone or wood shafts, etc.)

I found something that puzzles me. I found a tier list for metal, wood, bone/ hide, and even glass... but nothing on rocks. Yes, I know, some people might be thinking "A tier list for rocks? They're just rocks, it's stupid!" However, different minerals and rocks have their own strengths and weaknesses, just like different metals do. For example, different minerals have different places on the Mohs Hardness Scale. Quartz is at number seven, and diamond (which I've seen running around bazaar purchases several times) is at 10. Not to mention that each type of rock (granite and sandstone) have different chemical properties and could react in a diversity of ways to different abilities and enchantments. And what if somebody made up their own mineral/ rock? I myself came up with the crystal nixstella. Where would that fit in with bazaar purchases?

So basically, here's the question: Should minerals, rocks particularly, get a place in the official tier ranking system in the bazaar? Like with other elements, there could be different categories ("special real world," "materials that fit into the tier system.") Not to mention how certain rocks and crystalline materials may have different reactions to things like magic and even water (looking at the metals Plynt and Delyn.)

So, what do you think? Yay or nay?

Storm Veritas
04-13-16, 11:59 AM
I like the idea of gemstones and rocks having enchantable capabilities. Perhaps echoing a system like Diablo that a Ruby has fire-inherent capabilities, Sapphire Water, etc., with larger, higher quality stones being more powerful.

Could be really difficult to figure out, but I'm all about the idea if you have something in mind.

Breaker
04-13-16, 12:42 PM
Some time ago there was actually a tier list of different types of stone, although all I remember is that "moonstone", which I think was pieces of asteroid, was at tier 10. For whatever reason I guess it never got added to the official guide. I'm all for this, the more materials the better.

Tobias Stalt
04-13-16, 02:22 PM
What even is tier 10.

Cards of Fate
04-13-16, 02:28 PM
I imagine that was before our current system...

The problem with the suggestion about gems/certain materials having certain enchantment qualities is that it doesnt work well with our current enchantment system. We'd have to restructure that section of the bazaar, and I don't think we have the manpower to do so right this moment.

As for the rocks, feel free to pitch a formal list and I can see about getting them priced and added.

Max Dirks
04-13-16, 04:15 PM
http://www.althanas.com/world/misc.php?do=form&fid=2

Flamebird
04-13-16, 08:57 PM
I really don't think I'm the one to ask for a list... I'm no expert geologist, believe me.

I can get not doing minerals with natural enchantments and stuff, it's good. As for rock on the tier list, I'd suggest doing commonly found rock like granite, other useful and outright cool ones like obsidian, and adding some Althanas originals like Breaker's moonstone. The rocks would be listed by hardness, streak (or was it cleave?), and how common they are.

Itinerant
04-13-16, 09:04 PM
Your most likely classifications if you wanted to use them as weapons would be :

-Hardness
-Cleavage/Fracture
-Color
-Texture

Bard
04-13-16, 09:34 PM
Your most likely classifications if you wanted to use them as weapons would be :

-Hardness
-Cleavage/Fracture
-Color
-Texture

Add whether its a real world rock, or one made up specificly for this reality, and we're good to go.

Gnarl & Root
04-14-16, 05:43 PM
Sounds good to me. Although, it's never been something I've felt was missing in the first place.