PDA

View Full Version : The Osiris Open: Feedback

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
08-01-16, 08:46 AM
So, I was considering turning this into a recurring event as long as the interest was there. Would we all be up for a continuation of the tournament in future? In particular what did you like / dislike about it?

SirArtemis
08-01-16, 08:51 AM
I would consider entering at some point if this was done maybe three times a year or so. But I do get demotivated when real life gets in the way of timelines and deadlines. If there were a way to, by some miracle, ensure a set schedule and stick to it no matter what, I'd be more enticed. This is by no means blaming as I know you have a new little one in your life. Just speaking about what one of the things that demotivates me is. As far as I know, the LLC final still isn't even judged.

Karuka
08-01-16, 08:52 AM
I don't feel like the site can support continual and occasionally overlapping tournaments.

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
08-01-16, 09:03 AM
I would consider entering at some point if this was done maybe three times a year or so. But I do get demotivated when real life gets in the way of timelines and deadlines. If there were a way to, by some miracle, ensure a set schedule and stick to it no matter what, I'd be more enticed. This is by no means blaming as I know you have a new little one in your life. Just speaking about what one of the things that demotivates me is. As far as I know, the LLC final still isn't even judged.

An interesting point. However, worth noting that the tournament has been active and all judging deadlines were met, with the only delay being that I didn't put the arena up for the final when I should have done.

For the most part I believe activity would be down to the individual posters. This might have been what you were getting at, so apologies if that was the case.

Karuka, I can understand your point too. However, this was very much an idea for boosting activity during the LCC judging lull. To a point it worked. I doubt very much we would be overlapping another tournament in the near future.

It would be interesting to hear back from some of the entrants on whether or not they enjoyed it.

Storm Veritas
08-01-16, 10:47 AM
The health of a tournament is critically reliant on the judges. Certain tournaments can get stuck in limbo indefinitely because judging is hard, thankless, and cannot easily be incentivized. The Shinvitational went great because Shin broke his back to carry the tournament and run it start to finish.

A properly motivated judge can run a tournament by themselves, but great intentions can often lead to abandoned tournaments.

Not that I could think of any tournaments that have been finished for a very long time (even through the finals!), without being judged, but that would really stink.

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
08-01-16, 10:55 AM
The health of a tournament is critically reliant on the judges. Certain tournaments can get stuck in limbo indefinitely because judging is hard, thankless, and cannot easily be incentivized. The Shinvitational went great because Shin broke his back to carry the tournament and run it start to finish.

A properly motivated judge can run a tournament by themselves, but great intentions can often lead to abandoned tournaments.

Not that I could think of any tournaments that have been finished for a very long time (even through the finals!), without being judged, but that would really stink.

Thanks Storm, that's appreciated. We did well to ensure we covered everything and I want to thank the judges for their help too and, of course, the participants.