PDA

View Full Version : Establishing Respect (Invitation Only): 18+

Lye
12-12-16, 02:27 PM
The country of Salvar wore the night as a shawl. Darkness spanned over its white fields and perpetually dead trees. An eerie silence harbored each and every street of Knife's edge so only the low hiss of winter wind could be heard. Drunkards and brave couples staggered from faintly lit buildings as they ventured homeward to warm beds and warmer company. Yet, amidst the frosty serenity, a darker purpose brooded in the shadows.

"What word of Arimgahr?" asked the night brother to his hooded companion.

"Him and the master should be breaching the grounds as we speak. The mid-night shift change should be underway." A shadowed hood peered from the corner of the brick building. The faint flicker of street lights struggled to identify the face beneath in vain. A giggling couple in the far distance staggered, then rounded a street corner to disappear from view.

"Coast is clear," the night brother whispered. His gloved hand motioned to his companion before the two cloaked men slithered from their shadows to the alley across the way.

"Why do you suppose the master wants us to sabotage the barracks? Is he going to start a conflict?"

The two men came to a halt. One of them peaked around the corner with his hand held to halt the other.

"We're not in the position to ask questions, Yevon. We sabotage the barracks, isolate the Night Commander, and take him hostage. If Arch-general Llvandre is present, we abort and relay by raven." As he finished his hushed whispers, he peered around the corner once more. The stone and mortar building of the barracks came into view. Easily three stories and as defensible as the castle in its own rights, the guard's quarters glowed with the light of burning hearths.

"It just doesn't make sense, Farron. The nobles have their own guards. Why are we bothering with the city guardsmen if the Nobles live in their own district?" Yevon questioned.

Farron jerked his head from the corner and pressed his back against the wall. His finger pressed against his lip with a nod to follow as he did. The two men hushed themselves and took cover in the thick blanket of shadows.

"Y'here?" a guardsmen's voice asked with the metallic clatter of greaved footsetps. "Some word of a trade agreement going down tonight. Something about slavers."

"Yeah, I guess one of those Duke's kids is making a fuss. Sent his sister off to be a nun or some gibberish. The kid is flipping out. Beat some of the help half to death, so daddy's lookin' for a stand in."

"Guess he was into some weird shit. No wonder they're lookin' at slaves. Fuck, I wouldn't mind a hot young thing for myself, am I right?"

The two guardsmen shared a chuckle as they passed the alleyway. Enthralled in the humor of their own discussion, the armored knights passed by their hidden company without glimpse their way. Sounds of their conversation drowned out in the brush of wind as their armor clad steps carried them homeward.

"You think this has something to do with the girl?" Farron asked.

"No doubt, but I have a hunch this is something more. Word is, the master mobilized six more teams beside ours. The details were vague, but each unit is to secure either intel, or hostages from several places - including the Church." Farron's head popped out of cover, catching a glimpse of two guardsmen settling into their posts at the front gate.

"The Church? Didn't that Stalt fellow have some involvement with them? What would they want with the Church?"

"Too many questions. It's time." Farron and Yevon both pulled blades from the folds of their clothes. They exchanged a quick glance, a nod, and sprinted from cover in unison.