PDA

View Full Version : The RayC Tournament [Concept]

Rayleigh
03-17-17, 08:31 PM
Welcome to the first RayC!

The RayC is all about creativity, community building, and stepping out of your comfort zone! You will be paired up with someone at random, likely someone you have never written with. You will be given a randomly generated list of elements, all of which you must incorporate into your story. You will even be given a genre to experiment with. Odds are, you'll be writing something entirely unlike what you have done in the past! Are you up for the challenge?

Details

All participants will be separated into pairs using a random group generator.
Once the teams are assigned, I will roll for each team using the dice feature in chat. These rolls will determine the elements that must be present in the story (which can be found below).
All threads will be judged by me (Rayleigh), using a slightly altered condensed rubric. This rubric will take into account how well the elements were incorporated.
There will be no posting time limit (so long as the thread is completed by the deadline).
Edits can be made throughout the duration of the event.
The RayC will last two weeks.
There is only one round.
This is not an official, staff-endorsed tournament. It is a Rayleigh-endorsed tournament, so it will be more fun anyway.

Joining

Anyone may join, but if there is high interest, preference will be given to those not currently competing in the AC.
You may enter any character of your choosing, but only one per writer. No alts allowed.
The cost to join is 300 GP (or 3 AP). This will cover the judgment, and help to improve the final prize.
Note that this tournament will require teamwork, collaboration, and a bit of fun. If you are not willing to play nice, this may not be the event for you.

Prize

Any rewards typically received from a condensed judgment (to all players).
A portion of the GP pool (to the top two teams).
The chance to become the first story featured in Althanas Audio. Your thread will be read by myself, and perhaps a few guest stars.

Without further ado, here are the possibilities. You will be assigned one of each. Teams will never share elements - once one is rolled, it is removed from the list for future selections. This is to add variety to the stories.

Akashima
Scara Brae
Ettermire
Salvar
The Red Forest

Genre
Horror
Mystery
Comedy
Romance
Disaster
Sci-Fi

NPC(s)
A Crying Child
A Confused Old Man
A Stray Cat
A Merry Band of Thieves
An Angry Ex-Lover
A Traveling Salesman

THIS IS NOT THE OFFICIAL SIGNUP THREAD
I am more interested in who might want to play along. This is also a rough draft, so if anyone has any proposed changes or suggestions, I would love to hear them! :)

Rayleigh
03-17-17, 08:55 PM
Here's an alternative: all threads are no judged. That will cut down on entry fee (maybe down to 100 or 150 GP). I still give scores to rank threads, but that doesn't affect your end of thread rewards. I'll still give limited feedback.

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
03-18-17, 03:46 AM
100% behind this. Make it so.

Mari
03-18-17, 04:07 AM
I'm ok with a GP entry fee. be it 150 or 300

Passion of the Mice
03-18-17, 06:04 AM
I'm in!

Philomel
03-18-17, 06:17 AM
Sounds epic!!!

Makes me want to do one now :P

Storm Veritas
03-18-17, 06:35 AM
This is a great idea. It's got the vibe of a more heralded Vignette; I love vignettes but can never get enough time to write them; this could be really fun.

I'd also suggest "wild card" challenges to get more points. For example, you get 5 extra points this round if you can write the thread in iambic pentameter, or in first person, or from the perspective of an NPC. Take it or leave it; that could make things complicated.

Rayleigh
03-18-17, 09:03 AM
Storm, I do have a sort of Wildcard element planned! It probably won't affect writing style (as I want to let people do what they like for the first one), but it should spice things up!

So what's the verdict? Condensed judgments or no judgments? And is two weeks long enough?

Mari
03-18-17, 09:14 AM
as long as I'd be able to pay in gold I'm happy for either. 150 aka NJ would make entry easier for people, and yourself but if you want to limit entrants put it to 300gp (condensed) I guess.

2 weeks is plenty of time

BlackAndBlueEyes
03-18-17, 09:18 AM
"bonus points for first-person"

Yes, please.

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
03-18-17, 12:06 PM
Condensed judgments would be my preference but we would need to make sure we weren't clogging up the judgment queue. Especially as some judges would be competing!

Rayleigh
03-18-17, 12:19 PM
I'll be handling all judgments regardless. :)

Cards of Fate
03-18-17, 01:15 PM
Ive been behind this since we named it.

Storm Veritas
03-18-17, 01:40 PM
If you're doing the judgments, I'd leave the amount of feedback entirely up to you. In the interest of your sanity, I'd recommend no judgments with limited feedback as you've discussed, perhaps adding more feedback as it goes along.

Spectacularly awesome and incredibly terrible wildcard idea: "The Round of Jacks" - players can only type submissions with one hand.

Rayleigh
03-18-17, 01:59 PM
Yeah, most of the entry cost is to cover the judgments. If we do no judgments, 100% of the entry can go toward the final prize.

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
03-18-17, 03:05 PM
If you're doing the judgments, I'd leave the amount of feedback entirely up to you. In the interest of your sanity, I'd recommend no judgments with limited feedback as you've discussed, perhaps adding more feedback as it goes along.

Spectacularly awesome and incredibly terrible wildcard idea: "The Round of Jacks" - players can only type submissions with one hand.

How exactly would you police that? :D

Storm Veritas
03-18-17, 03:40 PM
How exactly would you police that? :D

Why do you hate dreams, Shin?

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
03-18-17, 05:01 PM
Why do you hate dreams, Shin?

The question is really what exactly is happening with the other hand?

Breaker
03-20-17, 12:32 PM
Sounds fun, I'd like to participate, if being in the AC doesn't exclude me.

Max Dirks
03-20-17, 12:47 PM
If you're doing the judgments, I'd leave the amount of feedback entirely up to you. I tried that once. The staff had a fit.

Rayleigh
03-20-17, 01:29 PM
Sounds fun, I'd like to participate, if being in the AC doesn't exclude me.

I'm planning on doing this between AC rounds. I want to give preference to non AC writers though, so they have something to do. We will know after registration.

Mari
03-20-17, 06:17 PM
I'm game, heck I'm game even if it is during AC because I am a sucker for punishment