PDA

View Full Version : Hey

Séreméla
11-27-06, 12:18 AM
So I love every one of you but FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BE MORE ACTIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!

teehee...but seriously it seems like Althana's activity has dropped drastically for some reason and I know alot of you are in school and working, but so am I. I just miss the crazy Althanas where there were so many things going on at once that I got lost in it all. I know alot of the new people are getting active, and maybe it's because they want to make a name for themselves and came from not to good sites so they want to make the best of the time they are here. But where are all of my oldies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All of the PG's have almost disappeared, it's hard to find a judge online aside from cyrus most of the time. This site being so active and so organized is the reason I have stayed for so long. Come back to me old Althanas.

Yeah so that is a rant and yadda yadda yadda, but how many of you feel the same way?

Letho
11-27-06, 03:40 AM
It's been like that for a while, so I wouldn't go as far to say that activity dropped rapidly. It more looks like it kind of went into a lull where people started to focus on other things more. As for the oldies... I don't know. I've been here for a good while now and I am still to see some of the oldies to actually rp. :P

Anyways, I like to compensate the lack of activity with the sheer number of threads I'm in. And with five characters, there's more then enough to keep me busy. I think the activity will pick up. There were times when it was worse then now, when it seemed like Storm, Cyrus and me are the only people who still actually wrote on the site, but that was a while back and we recovered from that.

AdventWings
11-27-06, 05:41 AM
Hey, how could you forget me, Letho?! *pouts*

Well, NaNo and the looming Midterms on the horizon is starting to do me in, but I'm around nonetheless.

Letho covered most of why the activity level seemed to be dropping, but us dedicates are here to stay! :D

Reiko
11-27-06, 08:22 AM
Hey, how could you forget me, Letho?! *pouts*

me too *cries*

I stay pretty active as much as my life will allow^^

I think Althanas has some pretty healthy activity and judgings seem to be quick and helpful, when I first came here it took over a month to get a thread judged and you had to pray that it would be helpful and not lazily judged. And we seem to be getting more newbies, which I prefer to returning oldbies since I enjoy the new perspective.

Letho
11-27-06, 09:11 AM
Alright, alright, it wasn't just Storm and Cyrus and me, but I had to decrease the number of names for a more dramatic effect. ;)

Séreméla
11-27-06, 10:28 AM
I think more or less what I mean is that yeah there are a few of us active (Yes I consider myself an oldie just because I've been here forever and had billions of characters) but we are active in our own little worlds. It's like we fell into a groove of just working with ourselves or with people we've known forever. I for one think we should do something really cool for the newbies..teehee that's a funny word...lol. Why don't we have a tournament in Scara Brae, or just on althanas in general where only new people can join. Not old people with new characters or anything but just all of the new people have been pouring in here like a flood and I think it'd be cool if they had a tournament of their own.

AdventWings
11-27-06, 11:23 AM
So... something like an exhibition match for the new kids to strut their stuff? Heck, sounds like a plan. ;)

What would the requirement be, then? Uhm... I'll bring this up in the Mod forum in a bit as well. Could prove useful, or it might fall through. I'm rooting for the former. :D

Atzar
11-27-06, 11:58 AM
What, exactly, is a 'newbie' in this case?

For example, I've been around on Althanas off and on for about three years, but I never really started doing anything until now. Would I be a newbie, or would I be an oldbie that nobody knows about?

Séreméla
11-27-06, 12:16 PM
How about this, the tournament will only be open to people that haven't owned a character that reached level 1. Like example I have owned like 5 characters and only one of the reached level 1 so that means I am unable to be in the tournament even though it isn't this character.

And depending upon how many people join it we could either have it to where there are single battles and team battles so that way they get use to one on one thinking and thinking with another player

Cyrus the virus
11-27-06, 12:51 PM
I fear we'd have too many people who like to drop their characters, if we did that. Makes sense, no?

Wasn't the Magus Cup a low-level tournament? That worked out pretty nicely. I figure we should just wait until it rolls around again.

MadGoblin
11-27-06, 01:29 PM
Oh, come now. We all know that NaNo accounts for squat of any inactivity anywhere. You might as well say that global warming or panda endangerment is responsible 'cuz that's about as much as an effect as it has.

I'll take the shame of finals, tho', crampin' the style. I mean, after writing a thirty page electronics report, the whimsy of fantasy worlds just has to sit the back burner for a bit. I was all ripped and ready to dish out a new thread ... but then Thanksgiving hit... and I had stuff due... and there was some TV on... then I saw a bunny and something shiny. That last one killed a good few hours, I tell ya.

Of course, I don't know why I'm saying anything. It's not like I've ever been active to any degree ever >_>
I guess I just wanted to pause the parity of the mostly same three particular participates populating this post, per se.

Komosatuo
11-27-06, 01:43 PM
O.o *blink* Uh-huh. Bunny and something shiny. I would have gone for kitty and something round and yarnish...but that's just me.

I've been around since tanthanas...if it's of any worth 'round here. Would that make me an oldie? Although, I still think I'm pretty much an unknown around here...still.

Letho
11-27-06, 01:56 PM
Wasn't the Magus Cup a low-level tournament? That worked out pretty nicely. I figure we should just wait until it rolls around again.I wouldn't say that Magus Cup worked pretty nicely. New people were mostly eliminated in the first rounds by the old members with fresh characters and in the end there was little gain for the new members. Some restructuring should occur. However, I agree that it would be rather hard to define who is a new member and thus eligible, and who's not. I mean, heck, Cory was here for a while now and he never had a character above level 1.

Lucien
11-27-06, 02:09 PM
I blame my short attention span. That and the government.

nekoprince
11-27-06, 03:58 PM
I remember Magus being fun though. Too bad, it was fun having all of the "younger" charectors at the very least. Though, we could always just do a modified version of the LCC or something. One Older person would take a younger person, and progress through the tournement. Someone gets dropped to inactivity, then they would get replaced by someone else or something.

Though, I personally consider anyone I don't know semi-personally a newbie until they hit level 1 ish. This changes though, depending on how long I think they've been around.

Ther
11-27-06, 06:34 PM
On the long-term side of things activity has appeared to be cyclical, with the cycles appearing to match when school is in and when school is out.

That said, the only way to increase activity is to RP more, and I think the best way to RP more is to write more compact posts.

Séreméla
11-27-06, 11:25 PM
I wouldn't say that Magus Cup worked pretty nicely. New people were mostly eliminated in the first rounds by the old members with fresh characters and in the end there was little gain for the new members. Some restructuring should occur. However, I agree that it would be rather hard to define who is a new member and thus eligible, and who's not. I mean, heck, Cory was here for a while now and he never had a character above level 1.

That's why I say it should only be open to people who have never reached level 1. I mean I remembered having bad luck in tournaments against older people and after that I was just kinda like F*** it...not to say that was the only reason alot of my characters died off, it's just hard to come to a new place and then on your first tournament get taken out by someone who has been here for years and has level 2 and 3 characters coming out their ass.

ANd maybe we can do some sort of team battle where it would be a newbie and someone old teaming up against another newbie and someone old but if we did that the older people would have to realize this isn't about winning for them, it would be about bringing more of the new people together and having fun. I have looked at alot of other RP sites and from the way they write, alot of them have terrible posts and if some of these people came from places like that this would give them a chance to understand the different ways we do things without having their score just taken down completely because they went up against someone like Max Dirks who has RPed here, knows what the judges look for not only ICly but also OOCly.

Cyrus the virus
11-28-06, 12:00 AM
The issue I was trying to call attention to with a tournament like that is this: People who have never had characters above level 0 are often fickle, that's why they can't finish four quests. Unless you want to recruit 16 or whatever brand new people for the tournament, which would be idiotic, I don't see the sense in basically putting up a tournament that's likely to be abandoned.

Séreméla
11-28-06, 12:02 AM
Yeah that does make sense with being new it's hard to stay focused on stuff like this. hmmm...I don't know I just want us to do something that has the new people more involved with the old so we aren't so split between doing quests with only people we started Althanas with

AdventWings
11-28-06, 05:37 AM
*Jumps in from out of nowhere*

How about this idea?

A simple 2-person short quest, with an oldbie guiding a new kid around the quest while helping as an OOC Navigator. I don't know if anyone has done that and saw the results or not, but I think it's a good idea...

...Myao~?

Cyrus the virus
11-28-06, 03:22 PM
Ser, dear, we have Scara Brae for that, but not a lot of us have time to make characters and RP with the new folk. I make an effort, but other people have to as well.

The 2vs2 tourney seems like the best idea, but I don't know if we have enough people to go around. Plus, some poor new guy might get paired with Cory... That poor new Althanas member!

Séreméla
11-28-06, 04:12 PM
Yeah that would be a shame lol...but I know we don't have alot of us left I just thought it'd be a good idea for us to get more involved with the new people