PDA

View Full Version : The Hollow Part Three: Horizons (Mature)

Stare
06-21-17, 07:31 PM
Mature content. Written by a bored person whilst at work.

Part 3 of 3. Previous threads:
The Hollow Part One (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?32231-The-Hollow-Part-One-(Mature))
The Hollow Part Two: Education (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?32263-The-Hollow-Part-Two-Education-(Mature))

Once she had gained the timing and the opportunity to try her escape plan.

One: be bound in little as possible. That was fine. She managed to get Vitruvion to trust her enough over time so that he thought only ropes on her hands would be sufficient.

Two: have one or fewer guards. Brer by himself was a massive weight, and thus it was one day that he was the only one who was thought to be needed to guide her over to Vitruvion's chambers.

Three: be in the corridor. Well that was easy as Vitruvion's chambers passed by the corridor, if coming from her rooms. Which she was.

Four: distract the guard. Really, with her good rapport with Brer, it was easy. It wasn't intentional that Avis had built up the conversation with him deliberately to distract him, but it turned out to be useful. All she had to do was mention a scene from one of his favourite books she had read looking a little bit like the corridor and there. He was gazing down it.

Five: get a weapon and flee. Though Brer favoured the mattock that day he had a dagger at his belt. It took Avis seconds to prise it from him, turn and begin to very quickly flee up the corridor, away from him and towards the place she knew where the surface was.

So close, so attainable.

Of course, she had reasoned for more guards. But very usually they weren't expecting a fast-moving kenku to come charging at them. She had already cut her hands loose by that point, and it took her a few scratches to down one guard, then dart forwards to the next. She was, after all, a skilled knife fighter and a kenku. She had the spirit of the senshi warrior within her that would never die, and enough dishonour from being a member of the kegareta to not care if she killed.

When she got to the door other skills came in handy. The kegareta not only had dishonoured members of society within it, but also villains. Members of the criminal world lived there, and amongst them thieves and pickpockets. It was from them, since birth, that Avis learnt how to unpick locks. Easy therefore was it simple to get through the first door, slip through it and lock it with the latch behind her as she heard the first of Brer's large and heavy footsteps.

Next was a hallway, ordained in stone with a brilliant, ornate, glass lantern illuminating the otherwise dimness. One guard stood duty here, rather surprised also to see Avis there. He paused, then ran at her, but her skill was swift and sure. Also too did she wound this one and went to the next door. A door inset with a window, leading to a sharp rising slope. There, nearing the surface.

Her nimble fingers worked swiftly, smoothly twisting the lock. There was a thud as it twisted, a clunk as it released, and she pressed onto it just as the door behind her burst off its hinges and Brer thundered in, fury on his face. Fury and disappointment.

Heart racing Avis moved into the next corridor, and used her reserves of energy to run, keep running. Her claws clicked on the cobbles, no longer white washed up here but left in their natural colour. Beating the wind she kept going, knife still in hand, the blade bloody, her eyes centered on the door ahead of her. A door that seemed to have no lock, that had a simple latch, and able to be opened from this side. Praise the kami, it was possible, it was -

Stare
06-21-17, 07:31 PM
She opened the door and stepped into a basement. An underground stone and wooden room, that was large, with benches upon benches and large cupboards. Stairs led upwards, but that was at the end, and in this room ...

Scores of men. Armed, having food, drinking and making conversation. All the guards of the ten brothers of the Hollow, now turning their eyes to her.

"Fuck," she said simply and slid down the door.

She collapsed there, panting, chest heaving as she tried to catch her breath. With all the eyes staring at her she just gazed at the floor in front of her, finding herself beginning to foolishly smile.

For being such an idiot. For even dreaming that there was a chance.

No one moved in the room. They simply sat there, watching the fool of a kenku try to catch back her breath. A thud-thud, gasp told of Brer's arrival to the room. Huge feet stopped near Avis' form, she could just spy them. A grunt, a pant and he shoved out a hand. Rolling her eyes she shoved the knife into it, and his hand disappeared briefly, leaving her now without weapon. Without anything. Then he bent down and without so much as a word grabbed her shoulder with one huge and firm hand and pulled her to her feet. She half-assed fought but really it was part of the grand game. One rough shake and she was still again, knowing that this had all been for naught. She let him addle her brains, then intentionally lift her off the ground, under his arm, dragging her back down the long tunnel, back to Vitruvion's layer.

He didn't take her back to her room, however. Instead he headed straight for Vitruvion's own chambers, where he passed right through the grand bedroom and into the more deadly place. Along the way several other guards, including Raevin who had all heard the commotion, came with. They grabbed her body, supported her weight and shoved her half-heartedly against a wall. Avis spat and swore a few times, but couldn't get the small smile from her beaked face, a spark of amusement in her eyes. The 'I know I've been an idiot' look.

Hands held her body still as chains and manacles were found. Her hands were roughly cuffed behind her, and secured against the wall whilst her feet were likewise shackled. Breathing slow, Avis caught her breath and invited in all the world's issues. She didn't react as they stepped back, just watching the reflection of the light on the metal.

There was a long pause. And they just stood there.

Avis finally looked up at one of them. Raevin.

"Just hurry the fuck up and get him, elf. Please. It's annoying you standing all there."

Raevin's​ brows rose but he silently looked to his side and nodded at his lackeys. All of them turned and left apart from Brer who looked determined to watch over her no matter what she did.

There was silence, then: "You're an idiot."

"I did not expect that door to end on your mess hall," Avis looked straight back at him. "And that plan was weeks in the making, so thank you."

"You're still an idiot."

She leant back against the wall, trying to even her breathing to prepare for whatever was about to come. Whatever creative punishment Vitruvion came up with. He had previously​ promised to have her lashed to her bed for a week without food, but that was in the first week she had been there. Now it had been almost three months and she had spent a lot of that time attempting to earn his respect and trust.

All to form her plan of running away. Which had been an utter failure.

Raevin frowned slightly, and pushed a hand through his hair. "Though you did manage to get through three well-armed and well-trained guards. That was impressive."

"My father was a warrior. He taught me how to fight."

The brows simply rose. "Interesting."

She shrugged and closed her eyes. The elf took a moment to exhange looks with the half-giant and sighed again. "Keep an eye on her. I will go confer with master Vitruvion."

Moments passed. Avis didn't open her eyes and Brer did not move. He watched her like a hawk watches a baby.

When the door creaked open once more and the faint, recognisable clink clink of the cane sounded on the cobbles Avis knew that her few weeks of hope and joy were finally over.

Stare
06-21-17, 07:33 PM
Her punishment was to live within a small narrow cage for a week. Changes were made daily - sometimes her hands would be bound through the bars upwards or behind her back, other times she would not be given water. Another time she dragged out, beaten in the usual manner, and sent back. The week following Vitruvion had her bound to the bed in the same room. Various positions, various ways, but at least it provided her rest. At least three times a day in that week he came and took her, angry or in a good mood, but leaving her in the same position - either suspended from the top of the bed or spread out. She took it with anger at first, then acceptance and finally guilt. Knowing that she herself had brought it on, she hardly fought as the end of the second week came to a close. Instead she just gave a commentary when she was awake enough, condemning Vitruvion with more and more creative phrases. Some which made him laugh.

After that, however, she was transferred back to her room. And a second guard was installed along with Brer. He was a young man whom she recognised as having hit in the face on her first week. He wasn't as conversational as Brer (the giant was already limited) but seemed to have good sense.

Thankfully in her room she was still allowed freedom of her limbs, however outside she was limited foot and hand. Which was fine for her, as over the next two weeks Vitruvion did not call for her. And Reign never returned. Avis had liked not seeing the stuck up snob. Though she had given the kenku many things to consider she was not the type Avis wanted to even try to make her friend. Instead she welcomed Blaze's visits, and even more so the conversations she had with Brer. As the weeks became months Avis found herself coming to appreciate the half-giant like she had appreciated her one time bakery master - the dwarf genius, Skra. The man who had been like a second father to her.

But now that life had certainly gone.

Lying on her bed, still easing out the cramps and pains of being contorted and controlled for the two weeks, Avis read a book recently gained from Brer. It was a kind love story between a prince and his lady, telling the tale of his power to conquer time. Avis propped her head up with one elbow, her other tucked beneath her. Her legs she let curl out behind her in an awkward way that was suited to their form.

She was lost so much that she didn't hear the door open. With her eyes intensely watching the words form the fantastical plot she did not see him either. It was only when he walked fully around her, paused for a long minute at the side of the bed, then promptly sat down right next to her head, that she noticed the movement. The bounce of the mattress, the flash of silver of his jacket. The flesh hand with a golden ring swimming into her view and cupping underneath her beak.

Turning it upwards to look at him.

With the touch, she froze and her gaze turned to one of horror as she recognised his face. Her hand on the book itself curled inwards, one claw scraping a light scar in the paper and she felt her heart begin to race.

"Hello, my dear," he said quietly, "It has been a while."

Stare
06-21-17, 07:34 PM
Breaking out of her siezed stance she moved, swiftly moving her beak away from his hand and sitting up fast, tense and ready. His usual smirk returned pleasantly to his face in a wave of familiarity and he seemed to hold back a laugh as she faced him, defensive, ready.

There was silence in the room. Vitruvion took the moment to look at her with level eyes and stare as intensely as she could. He let his hand fall, curling it around the top of his cane.

"First thing I shall inform you is that next time you attempt an escape that virrulent our association will be at an end, and you will be cast to the lower levels effective immediately. You will never see the surface again." He arched an eyebrow. "Do you understand that?"

Avis looked away, grinding the edges of her beak together. In all honesty she was not surprised he was saying it. The fact that she had made it seem she had adapted to life in the Hollow and then made such a run was abusive as well as dishonourable. It made her seem the villain, the way she had harmed those men on her way down, and caused a riot within the Hollow walls.

"Stare?" He spoke a little harder, more adamantly. "I require an answer."

She rolled her eyes, and muttered in her mind. I hate this all. All of it.

"Stare?!" His anger was clear now. She saw him move, beginning to lift his cane.

"Yes," she sighed. "Yes, of course I fucking do."

His breath came out with a sigh. He seemed to relax. "Good. And that includes any times I require you for work outside of the Hollow."

She grunted​.

He paused. "Look at me please," he said, his voice still with a fine edge to it.

Her jaw locked.

"Stare."

Irritated, she looked back at him, the spite clear in her dark eyes. His were equally as irrtated. A far cry from the softness he had initially had when he came in. All due to her work, she was happy to claim.

He pursed his lips slightly as he moved to stand. He kept his eyes thus locked with her as he found the chair that was usually by her bed and sank down into it, slowly and majestically. Resting his cane across his legs he took up a proud stance and took a moment of silence. Avis never once broke eye contact with him, and hardly moved, remaining where she was, tense on the bed. The only thing that had changed was her stare, going from an intense dislike to a more distant caution, lined with a hint of fear.

After the pause ended Vitruvion let out a breath and continued. "Despite what you attempted to do, and what disadvantages it has struck," he waved a hand. "With needing to keep you punished for so long, with the promise if this occurs another time, and so on," he laid his hand back down on his lap, "It seems that by default you have shown me other skills that you are capable of. Are you aware your exploits nearly ended a life?"

Avis stared at him a moment, and watched his eyes. He looked at her expectantly, leaving the question hanging on the air, and she breathed roughly as she tried not to even think about anything that had occurred. All she wanted was him to leave her alone. To be out of the room, out of her life.

He raised an eyebrow, a warning.

"No," she said quietly, with a note of irritation in her voice. "I didn't. I didn't mean for my blows to kill."

Stare
06-21-17, 07:35 PM
"And for two of the guards, they did not," Vitruvion nodded. "Nicking minor points, avoiding the artery by precise millimetres. However, one on a normal man you would have not injured massively. Except his heart happens to be almost in the exact centre of his chest, and his arteries thus alligned different."

Avis' heart thumped heavily in her chest. She felt nausea rising in her throat as she was told the news of nearly killing him. Certainly she had never aimed to kill, only maim and down, and it made her uncomfortable to imagine that she had nearly ended a life. Her first life. These men, after all, were not to blame for the full cruelty of their masters, and since she had never yet killed ... Well. It was not honourable to kill when you did not have to. That much her father had taught her despite his masterless Ronin identity, in which he had lost his position, his status and his livelihood in one.

Vitruvion's mouth curled into a small smile at the look of the horror burning in her eyes.

"That was sheer unfortunate​ chance, Stare, that he happened to be on duty that day. Any other guard and we wouldn't be having this part of the conversation." He paused. "Anyway, he is alive, so that is well. And I know you did not mean to kill. So I have no lives to hold over you. Which is a good thing for you. But," he sat forwards a little, his back remaining straight, a focus of strength and authority. "That is not what interests me."

Avis remained quiet as she dared to listen, dared to seek what he had to say. Not listening would be a bad idea anyway, but this time she was actually interested. And felt sick to the pits full of guilt to be distracted elsewhere.

"No, what interests me, Stare, is the fact you knew where to stab at all. Where to precisely hit so they would be downed, but not permanently injured."

He looked at her expectantly.

As per norm she stared back, not making a sound.

"... Well?"

She sighed and swallowed, hating the feeling of turmoil in her stomach. "My father was a warrior. He taught me how to fight with knives."

Vitruvion nodded, looking impressed. Avis' eyes rolled shut and she let her head drop slightly with distaste.

"And what else did he teach you?"

"Some swordplay. That was his speciality, but I was always better at the knife. I usually use two, for my-"

She cut herself off, before she could think of them. The siblings she had hardly known.

"For your ...?"

"My dead older brothers."

Stare
06-21-17, 07:35 PM
Vitruvion paused and smiled. "Ah the ones who died when you were very young? Twins, I believe?"

Avis nodded with a sigh, feeling now very uncomfortable and wanting this conversation to be over with, for him to be gone, gone, gone!

"And you learnt how to get through a locked door how?"

"I grew up with the children of thieves and murderers," Avis spoke fast, her voice becoming tinged with anxiety and irritation. Why he couldn't just go and let her deal with the issue she had almost ed someone she didn't know. "They taught me things, how to pick locks, how to move around a building silently, stuff like that, alright?!"

Her last word hung in the air. It was bitter and hating and harsh. It was the mixture of emotions she felt right now - hate for herself and him, sung into stress.

His next tone was fiercely disapproving. "Stare. I don't wish to be spoken to in that way currently. I am asking you questions and you are answering them, this is not an interrogation."

"Well it bloody hell feels like one," she retorted.

A destinctive chill in the air. The underfeathers on the back of Avis' neck stood on end. She didn't look, but she could feel Vitruvion's glare burning into her features, using the full strength of his authority and glory to strike her down where she stood.

"Stare," he said in the harshest, darkest of tones. "You will not talk to me in that way. I know I take kindly to your fervour and your passion. These are things I delight in seeing you have, and retain. But I do not appreciate your consistent lack of respect for me. You seem to regularly forget the fact that it is I who keep you fed and clean, it is I who provides you with this room, and it is I who own you." His eyes burnt into her skull. His words were livid scolds. "I am not as incessant in that fact as others, Stare, and I have never required you to call me so, but it is I who is your master. Your future is here, under my roof, in my chambers, to do with as I please. Not as you please, not as Raevin please, but as I please. I pay Raevin, I pay the stewards, but I do not pay you. I require and you give. You can fight, that is fine, but if you are constantly biligerant about it, if you constantly disobey my orders, if you constantly try to do things such as escape ... That, I have had enough of. Four months you have been here, and the only times I have managed to get you to fully adhere to my will I have had to threaten you. Repetitively. A language you comprehend, at least, but a language I should not have to go into every single time. You know the consequences of your actions, you know what I need of you, the services I require and what I will provide in return for these. So you should be able to understand your position here!"

He cut off, his face a firm look of dislike and disgust. Her own face was downcast, heart beating wildly, hands curled into light fists. She sat on the bed, still, her mind a mixture of emotions as she still tried to deal with the brought up grief over her brothers, the guilt of having almost killed someone, and now the fear of what words he was using.

His jaw tightened. "Stare, you will look at me right now."

A shiver ran up her spine, as his words echoed around her head. 'I own you.' 'You know the consequences.' 'Services I require.'

Stare
06-22-17, 03:27 AM
Biting back the torrent of disgusting words she raised her eyes to lock them with his. She saw unbridled fury, power and magnificence within him. When she finally gazed at him, her own emotions of nervousness mixed with hatred and fear, she watched him make a small, cert nod, and rested his hand on his knee. She didn't move from where she was, but she could fell the tears beginning to rise from the sense of helplessness. First the guilt, now this. Controlling, terrible bastard.

"Good. Now remind me who owns you," he ordered her in a firm voice.

Spirals of hate burned in her eyes.

"You do," she hissed through a clenched beak.

"Exactly. Now let us return to a civilised conversation."

Avis felt a breath of air rush out of her. She felt subjected, defeated, this man who held her actual life in his hand was sitting opposite her. Demanding her to inform him of their relationship. In all honesty all she wanted to do was curl up in a corner and cry. Cry away all the hurt, guilt and loss she felt, let all the sorrow out before the anger reigned once more. That along with the destestation, the malice and the irritation.

Sagging she clenched her jaw but said nothing, letting her eyesight drop away again and leaning forwards ontp her arms as they kept her body from sprawling across the bed. She looked anywhere, the posts of the bed, the tapestries, anywhere but him.

"So you learnt how to pick locks from those you grew up with?"

Her head nodded but no words came out.

"And for how long were you planning that escape attempt? Was it a spur of the moment decision or had you been waiting?"

She sighed low and heavy. Her tone was still bitter but she kept her words short and without curses.

"For about two months. Longer. Two and a hald. I was waiting for the right opportunity."

His lips pursed slightly and he leant to the side. "You mean since the council?" His eyebrows rose. "That was the first night when you finally did what I requested."

"You threatened me first."

"Indeed," his nod was regal. "However after that time there were moments that I did not need to. You did as I commanded, sometimes with guidance, but you were more ..." His words fell away as he let out a long sigh. "I see. You were trying to impress me. Make me relax security around you. Well," he paused, sitting up straight again. "At least I know that now. Security around you will be tighter, and I know to be cautious every time you are more obidient."

Avis would have scowled if her features had allowed her. Instead she muttered a line of avian under her breath, something that translated to, "May the sky fall on your head."

"If I need to keep threatening you, then I will," Vitruvion continued. "And we will continue as normal. Your skills that have come to light may fall into use, we will see. For now you will resume your duties as a member of my household here. Yes?"

Stare
06-22-17, 03:30 AM
He went quiet, the word hanging in the air. Avis didn't really know what to say, currently letting her eyes drift across the bough of an embroidered tree in one of the more elegant tapestries. She only grew alert when he coughed.

"Stare?"

She looked back to him, her solid black eyes blinking once, then twice.

"What?" She added 'dickwad' in her head after the phrase. But only in her head.

"I was asking if you understand."

She took a moment to stare into his unamused golden glorious irises. Then she murmured in a hissing voice. "Yes. I do."

Vitruvion smiled very slightly, but the smile did not reach his eyes. "Good. Now," he began to move, standing. "Time to earn your keep."

Avis' eyes flashed to him and her breath caught in her chest. She tensed, her whole body rigid and she curled inwards, her hands automatically coming to her chest. Vitruvion finally broke his gaze from her, looking over to the door, before he pounded his cane on the ground. He shouted loudly, "Brer! Zulon!"

Zulon she recognised as the name of the new guard stationed outside her door. Her new permanent escort. The door opened and Avis felt her heart sink as she saw the half-giant and the young human first looked in, and paused. They saw their employer and his kenku slave concubine, and together took in a breath. A beat of an unheard drum. A silent nod, a wave of understanding.

Avis knew she didn't want anything to do with Vitruvion right then and there. All the emotions of earlier - the sorrow, the guilt, the fear - raged within her and she began to instinctively recoil. Taking into her mine survival instinct she began to move, rapidly, heading to the edge of the bed.

"Don't you fucking go anywhere girl, not after the discussion we just had."

Avis froze where she was positioned. One leg half off the bed, the other tucked beneath her. One hand was curled around the edge of the mattress and as she heard his yell it's claws began to dig into the fabric, tearing holes with light popping sounds as they cut the individual threads. Savagely her eyes turned to where she heard the voice from. Vitruvion stood near the end of the bed, eyes dark and staring right at her. His cane was poised, half out and pointing at her, and there was venom in his voice.

"Don't you even dare."

Avis glared back at him, her vice and fury and detestation of the man thrown into her eyes. Her tongue clicked against the inside of her beak as she thought through a myriad of retorts, a million curses, but she did not speak them. Her stare - the stare - that she was still so confused about, and oh the Kami, the last three months had given her nothing more to go on - ripped into his eyes, attempting to tear him apart and expose his soul.

But he was immune to it. Just like he was amune to the fantastical power that bound the Hollow and every magic user within it. Every one but him and his sister. Vitruvion held her gaze steady, lowering his cane slowly as Brer and Zulon moved fast, grabbing what they had and what they could to approach her.

Roughly, and not kindly, for they knew that was Vitruvion's wish, they pulled her to. She hissed darkly and shoved more than once with her shoulder, all the time keeping her eye contact with Vitruvion. Brer, however, was incredibly strong and it really only needed him to hold her still in his strong arms as her hands were grabbed and forced, struggling, into a premade pair of rope loops. Tightened, they were fastened behind her back before she was suddenly flipped over and landed, belly flat onto the bed. Only then, did her gaze avert from Vitruvion, forced so. She screeched openly, in a flurry of Avian, as secreted chains appeared from nowhere and shackles started to be fastened to her body. Upper arms, ankles, knees, even one around her neck. They kept her lying on her belly as she was held down with the stretched out chains.

"Fuck you, you bastard," Avis spat to Vitruvion as she felt the final hands of her guards make their checks and then remove themselves. "Fuck you, fuck this place. Fuck it all. Fucking ..."

As the tears began to thickly roll down her feathered face, calmly sliding down the curve of her beak, Avis felt her words disappate. It seemed she couldn't keep her feelings that she had tried to bottle up and keep hidden couldn't be so, for they were too powerful. Heavily, she swallowed, as she watched Brer and Zulon walk back out through her front bedroom door. Pain, emotional pain filled her as she struggled with the faded memories of her brothers, the genuine fear of being sent below to the depths of the Hollow and the horrible guilt of almost ending a life.

"I hate this," she whispered quietly to herself as she felt the pressure on the side of the bed. "I hate this all. Fuck them and fuck me."

And a spiteful voice replied in her ear. "That is precisely what I intend to do."

Stare
06-22-17, 03:38 AM
In the full four months Avis had only stared when necessary. Slightly cautious for what power it actually had, and with no idea what it was doing to the victims involved internally, she had spared it's full potential. Indeed, it had also applied to Vitruvion in her attempts to make him believe in her calming. Despite the fact he seemed entirely non-plussed about it anyway.

Nevertheless Avis had managed to visually stun a full ten people, gaining to five rounded seconds with one corridor-wandering brother as he had come upon her. Vitruvion had called upon her for half of those times, telling her that he required it for his purposes. To what extent he imagined her stare to effect people was beyond Avis' comprehension. For herself she took the whole game merely as a fine example of her being able to demonstrate her ferocity and anger, the flame within her belly.

After her attempt at escape, Avis through the dirtiest, most direct looks she could at Vitruvion. She was not stupid enough to try an escape again - unless absolute freedom was guaranteed. When news came to her that the man she had seriously injured had made a full recovery, Avis was relieved and some of her fear began to drift away. Other fears began to drift also. When she realised she wasn't afraid of Vitruvion, but more afraid of the results of his threats, if they were to be carried out, she relaxed and life became easier. Three days glided by, three days where Vitruvion came in every single one of those and called upon her to give him what he held her prisoner for. Reluctant though she was, Avis grudgingly obliged, and only cursed him when his mood seemed to allow it. Her favourite term was, "bastard." Then he would slap her, grab her feathers or hold her beak closed as he took his fill of her small and lithe body, and reply that she was a "small breasted bitch."

"So, Raevin just told me everything that has occurred."

Avis blinked, rather alarmed. She cautiously looked up from the book she had curled in her hands, careful now not to claw any (more) pages. Brer had become a little concerned over the quality in which his books were when Avis returned them.

Before her, at the edge of the room, striding over from where the door was now closing, Blaze appeared, a flurry of red hair and gorgeous hips. Arms folded over her barely covered chest she came right up to where Avis was perched on her bed and stared fully at her.

"Well? What did I tell you?"

Avis paused and slowly closed the book. "Hello to you too Blaze," she said quietly, with a large hint of sarcasm, "Yes, please come right into my room."

Raising her chin slightly Blaze turned, red hair curling out like a lion's mane. She stomped over to Avis' table, grabbed the chair from it and carried it over. Setting it down with a loud bang she sat down and continued to look at the kenku, entirely aghast.

"I told you to be wise, that was what. And then, what do you go and do? Try to escape - get pretty far I hear but that's not really the point ... You try to escape and then, have an entire charade where Vitruvion discovers you have been lying to him this entire time!"

Avis let out a small quiet sigh as the woman rattled on, thumbing a large feather on her wrist. In all honesty she was not surprised this had happened sooner. Blaze liked to prance in, intending on giving Avis 'advice' and then invite herself for dinner.

"I did not so much lie to him as try to get back to my life, Blaze," Avis said, keeping her voice calm and collected. "And in any case he is committing the higher crime by keeping us here against our will."

Loosening her folded arms just a small tad, Blaze took a moment to consider Avis' words and then just shook her head. "It is not against crimes. It is about survival. There is no escape from here, as far as I know the room you got to is the beginning of a whole complex of upper level rooms, all in which the guards reside. Not even at night can you try to get out."

"Unless we started a riot?" Avis half-heartedly suggested.

Stare
06-22-17, 03:39 AM
Blaze simply gave her a 'are you stupid look' and Avis found herself grinning. Grinning for the first time in a while. Likely since the last time she had found a reason to smile at a plot in a book ... Or more meaningfully when she had realised what an idiot she had been, post escape.

"Do not worry, I severely doubt that is ever going to happen," she set the book aside and gestured to the door. "You've seen Zolan. He's my new extra security for the foreseeable future, as well as Brer. And Vitruvion told me yesterday he's thinking of hiring another."

Blaze did not look surprised. "I've had my two since I came here. There is a third who makes up rotation for when sleeping needs to be done."

"Why do you even need two?" Avis looked at her, now a little confused. "Surely Vitruvion trusts you enough to even just have one?"

Blaze laughed, light into the air. "They are twins. Brothers. And they are nothing compared to your giant out there. Also remember I have not been required to be bound when traversing these corridors for ..." She pulled a hand through her firey hair. "A year, about."

A year. A fair long time. Avis nodded a little, eyes glancing down to her duvet, thinking about her own position. Even in the height of her deception with Vitruvion he had had her wrists bound at least. And now, after her escape attempt, he took no liberties. Rope had been replaced with metal; shackles on her wrists were compulsory whenever she set claw outside of the room.

"He's a repulsive man," Avis sighed.

"Yes, but a good one, when it comes to it," Blaze said, making the kenku stare at her in surprise. The elf-of-a-kind made a small smile before explaining. "By that, I mean he is good as far as the other brothers here are. Wisdom and obedience is rewarded, we are given very good food from the same kitchens as Vitruvion, bedrooms, hot water to bathe in. I've talked to some others and they share rooms, don't have access to their own bathroom. And they eat like prisoners."

Avis blinked a few times and made a grunting noise. "We are still captives. Still held against our will."

There was a silence before Blaze nodded. "That is true, but we cannot do anything about it. You know that now as the rest of us."

Though she made a face, Avis had to admit that Blaze spoke the truth. For what her escape attempt had told her - and Vitruvion's promise of punishment if she tried again - she knew that being here was a long-term issue. She thought about how many girls must be here, and about the fact that all of them, at the very least most, would fall to despair eventually and be handed to the lower levels. In that situation she could not see many of them surviving for long. And when the girls got old, too old for aesthetic pleasure ... Why they would surely be hidden away also.

"How long has this place been in operation?" Avis asked, her eyes looking back to Blaze.

The Ellidin paused, her lips pursing. "That is a good question. I know about the rules of succession and inheritance - mainly, when one brother wishes to leave he may pass his position onto another of his choice. It is usually an underling to himself. Then there has to be a vote ... You saw that with Tethion at the council, right?"

Avis nodded. She did remember.

"Exactly," Blaze went on. "They always have to be voted in, even if they gain the position via the other method. Mainly, if a brother is killed in combat, by someone who is not of the Hollow, then their killer will be offered the place. If it is of someone in the Hollow already then they are immediately called traitor and executed."

Stare
06-22-17, 03:40 AM
Avis looked a little disgusted. "I see."

"And of course in natural death, a brother will usually have specified someone to take over from them. So it is all in terms of inheritance."

"That still doesn't answer my question of how long this place has existed."

The elf-not-elf shrugged. "I know but it at least can tell us something. I know, from what Raevin has let on, that Vitruvion is the only brother of the original ten."

When Avis heard the words, her eyebrows rose. "What?"

Blaze nodded. "Exactly. There's a reason why he is chairman, why his position is nearest the surface. He helped create this place."

"Is it why his magic still works?" Avis murmured, pondering on what Reign had told her once. That those with magic could not do their skills down here. Not ever. All apart from Vitruvion and Ventrua. Not even the other brothers it seemed.

The other woman shrugged. "Perhaps." She paused. "I assume Reign told you a little about the subject. It is the only thing that seems to interest her. How she is suffering because she has been denied her royal right of magic."

The mocking tone was clear in Blaze's voice, and Avis was very convinced that the other concubine disliked the pixie princess just as much.

"Indeed she did," Avis grunted a laugh. "The one time she was here. Arrogant bitch, came here to apparently apologise, then realised I'm not the best at making friends and so left."

"You are not excellent at making friends, no," Blaze smiled slightly. "You are as much of a belligerent lady dog as she can be." Avis began to stare when Blaze continued. "But - but she is arrogant. She thinks of herself higher than the rest of us. She is insufferable, abrasive, hot-headed and far too up herself."

"That she is," Avis grunted in agreement. "A type of whore of a royal."

"I hardly see her. If I am entirely honest I am glad Hugin took a shine to her. She still lives in Vitruvion's chambers-"

"So Hugin never managed to get her to move in with him?" Avis asked.

"It seems not," Blaze shook her head, "It seems as though he will not win that one over Vitruvion. As if he ever could."

Avis nodded in agreement, now that she knew what she knew. Vitruvion being the only one of the original founders of the Hollow left granted him respect from the other brothers, if not certain rights. Her gut knotted when she realised she was being kind to the man. Her master.

On point the door opened. Avis was partly surprised as she realised the figure they had been speaking of strode right in, but then she reasoned there was a high chance they would have been anyway.

As his tall lithe form, elegant and proud, strode in, Blaze turned. Her eyes widened slightly as Avis tensed. A look flickered between the two, Avis thinking, "Fuck," Blaze mouthing, "Oh well."

Stare
06-22-17, 03:43 AM
Vitruvion looked honestly surprised to see them both there, eyebrows rising in a graceful manner. Lips flickering into an amused smirk, he kept walking over to them, with only a minor pause in his step. Condemning him for his irritating interruption in her mind, Avis moved to be seated on the side of the bed, ready to act if needed, her feet flat on the duvet. Blaze remained where she was, just held onto the arms of the seat in readiness.

Quiet was between the women, knowing there was little to be said. Blaze murmured, quietly, "I suppose we will finish this later."

"I guess so," Avis replied.

They both kept their eyes upon Vitruvion as his soft footsteps brought him closer, his cane clacking. His eyes kept flickering from one woman to the other, before he finally came close enough. He stopped by Blaze's chair, taking his time to look from one to the other, silence falling as he stood above them, proud and strong.

Absolute stillness and silence. The two subjugates looking up to the man who controlled their lives, and he gazing back, a sparkle in his eye. Avis imagined reaching up and using her clawed hand to wrap it around his neck and begin strangling until his eyes popped from his skull ...

That would be killing. Quickly, she shivered and rid the image from her mind.

"If you were looking for me, I apologise," Blaze said suddenly, breaking the silence. "I just wanted to come and talk to Avis in our spare time."

Vitruvion smiled at her gently - an eerie gentleness to be sure. He shook his head slightly and replied; "I was not looking for you, Blaze. Do not worry."

Blaze glanced over to Avis who blinked her large black eyes. "Well I can draw a conclusion from that," she said rather flatly.

Softly, Blaze began to laugh, a light note that seemingly took Vitruvion by surprise. His eyes flickered from one to the other, before settling back on Avis.

"Do you two often meet?" Vitruvion asked, curiousity heavy in his voice.

Before Avis could get a chance to reply, Blaze was already starting.

"Yes. Often enough. We talk about things here and there, how we are getting on. There is no problem of us being friends is there?"

The brother of the Hollow's eyebrows rose. "No. Not at all, dear Blaze."

He placed a light hand on her shoulder and squeezed. Though Avis couldn't swear it she was sure she saw Blaze tense a little and make a face of quiet discomfort. Perhaps she wasn't as comfortable with her situation as Avis had surmised.

"Not at all. Anyway. Stare," he concentrated on Avis. "Today I need you for more than your normal duties. I need you to assist with a business matter, and for that I will require you to obey my orders as we go." He paused.

Stare
06-22-17, 03:44 AM
Avis was suddenly very cautious, her whole body nervously stiffened. She opened her mouth to begin her questions. Once again, though, Blaze spoke first, fast and fluid, likely thinking that Avis was about to say something crazy and enraging.

"Should I go and leave you to it?"

Vitruvion turned an eye to her. "No," he said, "It is not necessary unless you wish to." When Blaze did not move, he looked back to Avis and continued. "What the matter is, is of extreme importance, and only you can assist with it, with the level of irritation to me it has gotten to. However," he removed his hand from Blaze's shoulder to hold his cane with both hands. "You see, my dear, I am taking you above surface."

Avis' heart immediately began to heavily beat. Above surface. To the world of the sun, up there in the world of Althanas. Up into Beinost where she had not been for so long, where Skra was, where her life had been, what she had not seen in four whole months ...

"What?" She whispered.

And out of the corner of her eye she saw Blaze, who was looking just as startled and shocked as Avis was.

"I am being serious," Vitruvion said, and his voice sounded, for one of the rare times, completely genuine and open. He smiled at Avis' gaze of incredulity. "Entirely so. But I must remind you that the punishments we agreed on if you attempt another escape still stand. Even above ground. Do you understand?"

His smile faded as he said the last sentence, fixed her with a sincere stare. When Avis did not answer straight away, Blaze looked at her, in agitation.

He sighed and asked again. "Stare, what have I said bef-"

"Yes, I understand," Avis leant back, heavily against the headboard, all sorts of hope fading out of her heart. "And I'm assuming all of the security you can creatively devise," she said the last part with a great amount of spite.

To which Vitruvion smirked and nodded. He looked to Blaze. "Our small family will remain for some time, I think. I am glad you two get on well."

Blaze smiled back at him very gently, but there was sadness in her eyes. She began to stand. "I'm going to leave then, if you don't need me Vitruvion," she told him. "If that is alright."

As if he had enjoyed her being there, Vitruvion gazed at her for a while before nodding. "Go, my dear Blaze. I will see you tomorrow, or the day after."

Blaze nodded, and with a finak fleeting glance at Avis she turned and walked to the door. It opened when one of her guards saw her coming, then closed behind her with a soft click.

Immediately, Vitruvion looked back to her. And began talking, not allowing Avis a note of conversation.

"We are going to see a man who has failed me. Who broke a trade deal, a large one, and he is not responding to any threats. Thus, I need you. And your stare."

Stare
06-22-17, 03:48 AM
At mention of her mysterious stunning ability, Avis froze. "You need my stare? You know how bizarre that sounds?"

"Yes, but it has its uses. What you have done in the past has provided me with great interest and information."

"To be honest I don't care about your business, your trade deals, your-" She cut off with a sharp incline of his eyebrow.

"Stare, may I remind you that you admitted you belong to me. In that I own you, your body and obligations entire. If I require you to do something outside of your remit, then that is for me to decide, not you." He paused. "Though, you can be assured that I will never require you to do something that risks your life, or puts anyone else in danger. I will never ask you to kill, do anything that would otherwise be beyond reason."

She wanted to shout at him and cry that what he had her do here was beyond reason, far beyond reason. It was rude, cruel and objective. But Avis knew that to do such a thing right now would be completely stupid.

"Right," she just blandly said. "So we're going up."

Vitruvion inclined his head and visibly relaxed. He took a step back. "Are you ready to leave now?"

Avis looked at him with a tired, annoyed and fed up expression. "Since you're giving me no say in the matter, I guess I am."

For a long time the half-celestial watches her with a steady eye, and then he stepped back. As he gestured for her to stand he twisted his head back to the door.

"Come in now," he commanded, as Avis very uneasily slid off the bed and got to her feet. She watched as Brer and Zulon came in, all care and patience.

Avis folded her arms and stared at Vitruvion, letting the anger and irritation spark. "So, where are you forcing me to go?"

"Into upper Beinost. Not far," Vitruvion gestured for Brer and Zulon to come forwards, and they did.

Avis noticed the amount of items the men carried was more than ordinary. Dragging in a breath through the sides of her beak she dared to ask.

"Is this all necessary? You need me to go?"

"All my other attempts to deal with the bastard have come to nothing," Vitruvion said, his expression sour. "Thus I will respond less peacefully."

"With whatever the fuck my eyes do," Avis replied, looking a little disturbed. For she did not know either. Certainly it was magical, otherwise it would never had occurred here, and kenku mages were few and far between.

Maybe just an apt display of her emotions?

"Here," Vitruvion came forwards and moved the end of his cane. With it he touched her shoulder and nudged her forwards, over to where he was, and in clearer reach of Brer and Zulon. Caught off guard she stumbled slightly, but then caught herself as her fosled arms were needed to catch herself on the chair.

As if planning it all along, Vitruvion reached out and grabbed her wrist. Yanking her tight he turned the stumble forward onto a full stop, twisting Avis brutally around to face him.

He paused as he let go of her wrist, looking deep into her eyes. Gazing back, Avis stood still, her own heart racing from the recent energy use. She locked eye contact with him willingly, showing him that she was not amused by this entire journey. About the fact she would be allowed to see the sun for the first time in four months, but be savagely denied its glory.

Then his lips turned up into a more savage smirk and he stepped back, gesturing with a hand to Brer and Zulon. "I want it tight. No chance of escape what so over."

Stare
06-22-17, 03:48 AM
"Thanks," she drawled starcastically. "Truss up your kidnapped kenku why don't you?"

"Make sure you don't escape, yes," Vitruvion answered her, stepping back and making room for Brer and Zulon.

The two men came forwards, dumping most of the accoutrements on the ground, keeping only a pair of leather cuffs.

"I'm my own person," Avis growled.

"Yes, in part, but you are also mine, my dear," Vitruvion smiled.

And her wrists were grabbed, stuffed into the cuffs. Then, a buckle was tightened, hard and brutal, as close as they would go. She winced as she felt the pinch of them. Rope was then taken and wound around the cuffs for more security, tightened, tied and wound again. She could not move her hands a millimetre apart. She kept staring at Vitruvion, hatred pouring from her eyes to him.

"You know that, though. You admitted it yourself."

"Only under duress," she hissed. "Only with threats. Not of my own free will."

"That is because I own your will. Your future is mine. Your body is mine, your mind is yours." He paused as ropes began to be lashed around her torso, not the usually fancy knotwork but rather just looped around and tied. Avis did not struggle, she let the bucks and forced reactions reign her body, and kept her eyes on him.

"So what is your plan for me, for Blaze, for all of us? What, you keep us here for the rest of our lives? Never let us go?"

"As long as all goes well, you will be here for many years," Vitruvion said, leaning on his cane as now a thin chain was dressed over her arms and then locked into place at the back. Weaved back it was placed down her body, all the way to her hands, where a final padlock tied it off at her already very secure wrists. She looked down and rolled her eyes.

"Seriously?" She sighed, seeing the three layers of binds. Try as she might, she could not even move her arms or hands, so tight were they against her torso. As she watched Zulon passed Vitruvion over the keys to the various locks, who dropped the keys into an inside pocket.

"Yes, seriously to both. You are mine, now, Stare, and your attitude makes me just more determined to keep you. Even beyond your age of prime. I will keep you as just a prize, a thing to look at if I need."

Avis breathed in sharply, looking away, entirely disgusted. Then half-celestial lorded his power over her by coming forwards and grasping the chain at her wrists. He yanked it and she was forced forwards, right into his side. Quite satisfied he grinned at her, eyes gleaming.

Then his smile fell slightly.

"Hobble her," he said with a decisive word. Immediately Avis hissed but she had little power here. Though she moved her feet she could not stop the adding of both rope and light chain being wrapped around her feet, forcing the distance between them as a foot at most.

"Fuck sake," she growled, looking very much like an animal trussed up for slaughter, then eating.

"Now we go," Vitruvion nodded.

And he twisted around, his hand still on the binds at her hands. Striking out, he clacked cane on stone as he pulled her along with him. Half shuffling because of the weight of her burdens, and her hobbled feet, she went close to him, Brer and Zulon hugging by so shoulders rubbed.

As one body they moved, Avis at the centre, moving with short but agitated steps. Her breathed was short and livid as she felt like a fool the way she was. Dark eyes stared as they came to the corridor and turned to ascend it. They bore into the guards at each door. One recognised her, having been there the time when she attempted her escape. He paused and murmured something small.

Stare
06-22-17, 03:53 AM
"Yes, Harrier," Vitruvion said, "That is the same one. She won't be getting loose any time soon however."

Harrier's brushed up and down her and he awkwardly smiled before opening the door. Avis flashed him a steely look, as she was taken then into the chamber that served as a mess hall.

A few men were out. Not as many as before, but a decent amount who turned to gaze at their party. Most, however, did not focus their sight on Avis, rather they looked to Vitruvion, their unspoken ultimate master. If anyone was above everyone else in the Hollow, it was he.

Turning, Vitruvion watched Avis briefly as she prepared multiple curses to throw at him. He then smiled as he let go of her wrists to begin untying his own scarf from his neck. Curiousity fled across many eyes, as well as silence, as he plucked it from his throat, and then paused. After this and a meaningful look at Avis, he proceeded to raised the scarf - then press it over her eyes, wrapping then material as many times as it would go, then tying it off.

A make shift blindfold. Avis spat and a shiver ran down her spine as she whispered in a tight voice, "Really?"

"Now you are forced to trust me," Vitruvion said, grabbing at her wrists once more.

Avis growled. "I don't intend to start."

"Then I'll drag you," he said, starting walking. Bodies of Zulon and Brer pressed either side of her. She was cast in darkeness, lost. Stumbling blindly save only for a very faint light she moved forwards, short steps. She other breaths, other people moving as she was taken up a flight of stairs (that part was tricky), along a corridor, by some rooms, up more stairs, more voices, more stairs, a very awkward ladder and a small hallway before she heard the creak of mankind doors. In which she was taken outside in the first time in four months.

She could just feel the fresh air flow around her form. It brushed past her free feathers and whistled like a calm musician playing his worth. Smiling, slightly, she welcomed the warmth of the sun, the brightness it brought - before she was suddenly trundled up a small step and into ... Something.

Clunk.

Her blindfold was removed. Blinking fiercely she looked around and found she was in a wooden box - a carriage she suddenly realised. Doors closed, blinds drawn. Beside her sat Vitruvion, refashioning his scarf and at her feet was the person making the clunking noise.

Brer, taking the chain at her feet and padlocking it into a bolt at her feet.

Damn, she thought. Now she wouldn't even be able to leave the carriage if it toppled over. She was fixed within.

"One last thing," Vitruvion said, as Brer took a seat opposite beside Zulon. "I would ask you to swear to silence for this entire journey, but in all honesty I do not trust you enough. Thus, I had this made."

And he reached down the side of the seat and brought out something soft leather, long and pointed, sewed. A flicker of a smile crossed his face as he passed it to Brer, who grunted, the only noise he had made despite throwing Avis a few kind glances. Brer began to move, as Avis watched him wearily. He began to open the leather, showing it as long and hollow on the inside like a cone, small holes inserted -

"No fucking way," she shook her head fiercely. "You are not putting a muzzle on me."

Vitruvion flashed out a hand and grabbed the top of her head, as the muzzle was slipped over, right against her beak. She tried to open her mouth and twist her face to the side. She cawed, moved, dodged as much as she could, but Brer and Zulon became involved. With her already tied, and three pairs of hands, including those of the half-giant there was little fight to be done. Struggling and bucking, the muzzle was slipped on. The leather fit perfectly, with holes for her nostrils, and though she struggled, it was dragged up and over, then savagely laced at the back in three places.

The pieces of leather pressed her beak together to their extreme. It was such a neat fit that she was forced to reply on her nostrils for breathing. As she glared at Vitruvion, wishing him all the hate and death in the world he smirked and knocked on the roof of the carriage. It lurched in an unfamiliar pattern, throwing Avis forwards, and she made the smallest muffled sound.

A hand grabbed her by the shoulder and pulled her back to sit upright. She stared at Vitruvion as he peeked out the corner of the window he sat at, lifting up the blind. He nodded, and gave her a pleasant smile before speaking.

"What a good day for a carriage ride, hmmm?"

Stare
06-22-17, 03:54 AM
Avis just huffed into her leather muzzle and leant back. She rolled her eyes and glanced over to Brer. He held his mattock ready in case she tried anything, but else he was kind and gentle. Zulon was likewise, offering her a small smile. She calmed somewhat and let herself try to relax.

They went on, and eventually Vitruvion struck up some form of conversation. Avis learnt that the man they were going to see was called 'Thesus Heysan' and he was a lord who worked in the castle of city's masters. In Beinost, though the city itself thrived well on trade, it was still underwhelmingly under populated after the defeat of Xem'Zund the necromancer. So it meant there were corners of high population, like the one Avis had lived at along with her bakery brethren. For each a lord seemed to have arises, who dwelt in a castle along with the thriving bardic schools. The particular lord that Thesus Haysan served was Lord Raknia Gert, a high elf of apparently higher standards. Thus it meant that they would need to head into the layers of the castle itself.

A hard knock came on the carriage door as it suddenly stopped. Avis was thrown slightly, but by grinding her claws into the wood at the bottom she kept herself steady. She breathed hard through her nostrils.

Slightly, Vitruvion opened the door, and the face of a well-rounded elf guard came into view. Dressed in the deep purple of Lord Raknia.

"What you'm here for?" The elf asked.

Vitruvion gave him a wry smile. "I am Sir Vitruvion Elssmith, and I have an appointment with Thesus."

The elf's eyebrow rose slightly. Avis was surprised to hear Vitruvion give himself a title, but then she realised it was very likely naturally his. He was the sort of man who would have one.

"I see, milord, and-"

The guard broke off when he caught a glimpse of Avis sitting beside Vitruvion. His eyes widened and for a moment she thought he was going to raise an alarm, call out that the people in the carriage had a prisoner. Had kidnapped a woman of a rare species. Her heart thumped madly.

"What is that?"

"Documents are all here," Vitruvion suddenly produced a binding of papers, wrapped up in a scroll and baring several large official-looking seals. "My slave girl. Bought in the markets of far Hernsford. Legally mine in every nation."

A sinking feeling came to the pit of Avis' stomach as he spoke. The guard took the documents from Vitruvion, his eyes scanning over them as she thought about what Vitruvion had just said. He had managed to forge documents of binding law that ensured that she was respected as his throughout Althanas. She was surprised that there was such a thing - slavery had been outlawed in a few places across the lands, but in others there was a thriving market. Some countries depended on indentured servitude but others, like Raiaera, had nothing to do with it.

There was suspicion in the guard's eyes.

"The laws of the market in Hernsford have been agreed by every nation's leaders, last agreed in mid-winter," Vitruvion fixed the man with a constant stare. "If you want to contest my paperwork, which is entirely proper, I can wait until you contact Lady General Nalith Celiniel?" He smiled, invoking the name of the last member of the small council, the effective leader of Raiaera.

The guard siezed at that and hurriedly gave the papers back. He stepped back and gestured. "Please go, my lord."

The door was closed. Vitruvion wrapped up the paper and tied a string around the scroll again before placing it back into his pocket. Finally he turned back to Avis and smiled brightly at her dark, unbelieving, fiercesome stare.

"I have a friend who works in Hernsford. He creates these documents for me using all the techniques, all the correct procedure. To all eyes they are true." He cupped his hands on his lap. "So you see, Stare, you will never escape me."

Stare
06-22-17, 03:59 AM
Right now, all she wanted to do was kill him.

"I had one of you once, who managed to escape. It was a folly on my guard's part. She begged for fresh air and ... Well. Weakness. But all I needed to do was post a reward and she was returned to me," he mused. "Of course I couldn't keep her around. She was too violent after that, too out of control."

"Ended up killing herself," Brer grunted.

Vitruvion frowned. "Indeed."

The carriage suddenly lurched into movement again. Avis couldn't help but feel her heart sink as she suddenly realised that unless something incredibly lucky happened that this was her life now. This was her lot. This was her fate. She wasn't going to give up easily, however. She wouldn't ever take her own life, that she was determined about.

"Bare in mind, I don't have these made for all of you," Vitruvion suddenly said, continuing his conversation. "Just those that I have a keen interest in. Who I know can serve me in other ways. Who I am determined never to lose." He paused. "You should count yourself lucky. Blaze has no documents, neither does Reign, nor did Hope. My last official slave was Spice and she died two years ago."

Why on earth would that make me feel better? Avis hissed in her mind.

But her question was not answered.

It would never be answered. Here she was, stuck with him for the rest of her sorry life, until she could get away - and then, far away.

Vitruvion continued to look out of the window, his hand lifting up the side of the blind. His other hand, however, came to rest on Avis' thigh and she felt her body recoil at the touch, to the limits that it could. As their journey into the depths of the citadel continued his fingers began to slip further down, curving down towards her womanhood. Until he altogether grabbed it, she gasped into her own beak with a muffled exclamation and threw her head back. He didn't do anything but smirk and the other men - Brer and Zulon - looked away, feeling awkward.

Vitruvion kept his hand there, clutching at her with a calm finger, and only removed it when the carriage came to a halt again. He removed his hand, lightly wiping it on her feathers before opening the door. Sunlight burst into the wooden box, Vitruvion stepped out and spoke in quiet tones to someone. There was a small amount of scuffle before he gestured. Brer nodded, and got down on his knees again. Into his hand came a key, which undid the lock that held her into the carriage itself. Producing a final piece of rope from his pocket he tied the end securely around the gap between her hands, then passed out the end to Vitruvion.

Taking it, he wrapped the end around his hand, then pulled. Avis was cast forwards, onto her feet, and she awkwardly staggered from the carriage into brilliant day.

It was like stepping into a dream. Birdsong filled her ears. She breathed in sweet and refreshing air and felt the heat of the sun touching the ends of feathers. Fresh warm cobbles were beneath her claws and she could smell the scents of new grass, flowers and life itself.

Tug. She turned, was forced to turn and start walking. Coming out of the fantasy, Avis looked around and saw a few people. Servants, most likely, a lot of them staring at her like she was some dangerous animal. Maybe she was. She just glared at them back, wishing they would mind their own business. Vitruvion was heading inside the doorway of a large, grand, white building, which doors were wide open and a butler stood there, welcoming the Sir Elssmith with the grandeur of a person of his station. Avis was quite surprised to see Brer and Zulon not following them, but instead staying outside. As she drifted from the precious outside to in, she lost sight of them, stuck with only Vitruvion and his rope.

In a corridor of ornate marble.

Stare
06-22-17, 04:02 AM
"My lord, it is an honour to have you here again ..." The servant said with strange familiarity. "But never before have you come with one of your ..."

"Women. Possessions is another term. Indeed, I have not, but I have a reason for bringing my dear kenku here."

"Kenku? Is that name?" The asker said carefully.

"No, but her race."

"I see."

"Very rare. They get high prices on the markets."

"Yes sir."

Avis huffed as much as she could. Still being hobbled she moved as fast as her feet allowed as she was pulled in the direction Vitruvion wanted. Her jaw was clenched and her spirit raging.

They turned around the corner, and Vitruvion shortened the rope as they did. He strode in through a door that was automatically opened for him, forcing Avis to his side. They stepped in from the marble corridor into a high-ceilinged room, each wall covered in a painting of some high master or other. The room itself was small and consisted of a desk, many shelves leaning against the walls and chairs. Sitting behind the desk, in one of these chairs, was a middle-aged man with a clean shaven face and short hair. He wore spectacles on the end of his nose, and was peering at a piece of paper.

"Ah hem," went Vitruvion.

The man suddenly looked up. And his eyes went huge. In a panic, he stood up, scraping the chair along the floor as it was forced back.

"Vitruvion Elssmith?"

"Thesus Heysan," the half-celestial grimly smiled. "We have some unfinished business, you and I."

The man raised a hand and pulled it through his short hair before smiling awkwardly. "Not exactly. I found a loop hole in our contract, I took advantage of it and you-" His eyes glanced over to Avis, who was staring as confused and mad as he was. "Why - why have you brought one of your playthings here, Vitruvion?"

Plaything my ass, Avis thought.

"Tell your man to leave," Vitruvion answered, eyes narrowing. "Then we will sort this out once and for all."

Thesus seemed to think on Vitruvion's words for a while. Studying him, then studying the very tied up Avis, he took a while to consider. It took him a while to consider but then he waved a hand and told to his servant.

"I will be fine. Bring us tea in ten minutes."

The servant paused, but then bowed and exited. As soon as he had done, Vitruvion turned back to Thesus. He folded his arms, stared at the man. In a tight voice he said, "Sit down, slave, for now."

Stare
06-22-17, 04:03 AM
It took Avis a moment to realise he was addressing her. In something of a flutter she paused, then sank very slowly back into the closest seat. Vitruvion didn't once look at her. Instead, when she was done, he leant forwards and hissed at the man.

"I will give you this one chance, Thesus, to give me the money as agreed. Three months back pay you owe me."

"Oh is that it? Not counting this month's hmm?"

"You know very well that our contract is over. This month my wares will be going elsewhere, not to you," he pursed his lips. "This is your last warning."

"Our contract said that, in not so many words, that if the buyer, being myself, found the products unsatisfactory in a manner that effected the resale and was consistent with evidence of prior betrer quality, along with evidence that it had not been of the best quality when it left Tirel, then the buyer can negotiate alternative pricing."

"You did not negotiate alternative pricing," Vitruvion hissed, unfolding his arms. "You refused to pay me anything."

"Yes, as I found the quality deserving of that negotiated price. Nothing," Thesus smirked, in the same foul way that Vitruvion often did. Avis was beginning to understand why these men had gone into business in the first place. "So I did not pay."

"You owe me money, Thesus," the half-celestial growled, "There was no negotiation done. You just could not afford the cost, you were going bankrupt, thus you claimed lack of payment for three months, then you came out with the quality deserving naught." He curled his hand into a fist. "You will pay me double for every shipment, now, or there will be hell to pay."

"Bah," Thesus smiled, sitting back down. He waved a hand dismissively. "You have nothing that could make me pay-"

"Now, Stare." Vitruvion suddenly commanded in a strong, firm voice.

Avis' eyes went huge, she blinked at him as Thesus looked confused, wondering what was going on and why he had been so rudely interrupted.

"Now!"

Sucking in her breath she twisted around and grasped Thesus' eyes with her own. Concentrating hard she did what she had been brought here to do and tried to access that part of her that she did not comprehend. Puttiny every dire feeling at the forefront of her mind - hate for Vitruvion, disgust at herself, horror for the Hollow - she twisted this into a weapon in her mind and focused. Shoving all of this into a stare that simply spoke, "You are worth nothing," Avis held the man in the grip of shock, silence and awe as he was frozen to his seat. His lips were stuck half-open, his eyes round and unprotected by his spectacles. His heart raced as hers steadily thumped and she kept the look.

Thhhh-ump. Thhhh-ump. Thhhh-ump.

Seconds ticked by. Slowly, slowly, but they moved by. Avis kept staring, kept holding, thinking of everything she had just learnt today. How Vitruvion had enforced his hold on her even tighter, how he could summon a witch hunt for her, at any moment. How, though they were forged, he had official documents claiming him as her owner in legal form that covered all of the known lands.

"Enough," a whisper came to her ear. "Enough."

Very reluctantly, Avis ripped her gaze away from the man. She heard him gasp, suddenly wheezing. He pulled at his collar of his shirt, wiped at the sweat on his brow, struggled as he eased the best he could from a bright red colour to pale.

The reality of it slammed into Avis as she watched his reactions. She had caused him to entirely lose the ability to breathe. Her eyes had choked him.

What the hell?

Stare
06-22-17, 04:04 AM
"What - what was that?" Thesus stuttered in a painful voice, "I saw ... I couldn't ... The things I saw!"

Before Avis could hear what sort of horrors the man had seen because of her Vitruvion was speaking. In a low, threatening voice that Avis personally knew very well.

"Pay me just what is owed. No double the cost, just what is owed and now. Then we will be away, and you will never see her again. If you refuse I will get her to do it again, and the money will rise to double. Then again, triple, again, quadruple, again-"

"Yes, no, I mean!" Thesus spluttered as he grasped for a key at his throat. Uneasily and messily he pulled it out, then pushed it into a top drawer at his desk. Whilst gasping, he pulled out a bag of money, his face littered with fear and horror, and shoved the bag over the table, where it came to rest with a fine chinking. "That is it. Just take the whole thing."

"Thank you," Vitruvion smiled genuinely for the first time. He leant and picked up the tail of rope that apparently he had dropped. "A pleasure doing business with you, Thesus Heysan."

The spectacled man scowled and waved a hand madly. "Get out, please," he moaned, clutching at his skull.

"Of course," Vitruvion gave a mocking bow. And he turned just as the servant from before was opening​ the door with a tray laden with tea.

"We won't be needing that anymore," Vitruvion beamed at him, tugging at the rope. Avis stood, grunting in a low, quiet tone. "Our business here is complete." And he dropped the bag of money happily into a large bag at his belt. Twisting back around he began to stalk off, Avis fast at his heels.

Once back outside, Avis' mind was going wild. What had she done then? What had Thesus meant when he said he had 'seen things' and just what had he seen? How had she managed to cause him to stop breathing? Was it the fear? The hatred he saw? Was it really that intense.

Vitruvion opened the door and pushed her inside. She unsteadily got in and as soon as she did Brer was moving, locking her feet in place once more. With a slight nod and a pause from Vitruvion the two men began asking how it had gone.

"Better than I could have hoped," Vitruvion replied, throwing Zulon the bag of money. "Now get out and ride in front. I want to fuck this girl on the way home."

As if my day couldn't get any weirder. Or worse. Avis laid her head on the back of the carriage wall, not watching as her two guards gazed at their master stunned, but then nodded. Brer only paused long enough to suggest something quietly, out of Avis hearing, and Vitruvion nodded. Brer turned back to her, gave an apologetic smile before producing two more padlocks from his pockets. Because apparently that was what the romance-loving half-giant did. Kept padlocks in his clothes. She siezed and stared as he leant forwards to either side of her. Pressing down to keep her in place with an arm he looped parts of the chains binding her body to the wall, into fixtures already there. Since this was Vitruvion's​ carriage it made sense for there to be such things.

She glared at him when she figured out what was going on. But he shrugged and stepped back, leaving her in that way where she could not now lean back from the wall. There was an inch perhaps of movement, but between that and her feet she was trapped, the only parts of her free being her legs and -

Just enough spread. It would be painful, but Vitruvion would get what he wanted. Brer stepped out, going around to the back to sit. Presumably because he was too large to sit at the front. By himself then, Vitruvion moved in, eyes bright. He closed and latched the door, moving to sit opposite Avis, who glared at him with all the unspeakable hate she could.

"You did well," he quietly said, as the carriage began to move. "Very well today. Your gift has grown, that much is clear. I look forwards to seeing what it becomes in the rest of your life. Because I will be there. From now on, I am determined that you are mine." He leant forwards, placing a hand on either thigh. A slow, creeping and lustful grin appeared on his face. "I have a lot of plans for you, Stare."

Stare
06-22-17, 04:08 AM
They were not stopped at the gate again. Instead the guard from before waved them in, recognising them from before. It was just as well for Vitruvion was in a less than civil position. Avis had her eyes closed, taking the pain and the effects with a clenched jaw. Brer and Zulon could hear the grunts of their master and simply tried to ignore it, as was their norm.

It was when Vitruvion was done that he gave her a gift. And that was opening the blind slightly. Enough for he to just peer out. She was intrigued to see that they were near the centre of the city, where the markets were live and in full colour. It was bright midday, warm and mid-summer and -

Fucking hell.

Skra. Her old master, at his pastry stall. He held his wares, high and over his head, calling them out in his gruff dwarf voice. He was alone, neither of the other apprentices there with him and no Avis to get fresh supplies. In his eyes was exhaustion, in his tone was impatience. She leant forewards as much as she could, straining at the bonds. Avis' heart beat wildly, madly. If only she could break out of here and run to him. She would say how sorry she was that she disappeared and left him like that. He would be shocked at how angry and hateful she had become. She would cry, he would hold her like the fsther-figure he had become to her, and then - then ...

"What are you looking-"

Vitruvion's bent down to look through the gap, covering her line of sight. Clearly she had expressed her emotions in some way for his reaction had been sudden and rude. Furrowing his brow he searched around, as the carriage continued to wander past. She could still hear Skra's voice calling out on the air, kind and full of hope.

Not for her anymore.

Vitruvion looked up to her with an eyebrow raised. "I presume what you saw was someone from your past life. A friend or a familiar face." He tugged down the blind. "You know that is gone now, Stare. No matter what happens now, even if the Hollow is destroyed, you will never be free of me. You are my new Spice. My new obsession."

How very nice for me, Avis drawled in her head.

Moving to sit by her he kept a hand on her leg the entire way of the journey back. He did not remove the locks holding her to the wall, nor her feet, but instead made her sit there, silent and unable to move.

The carriage eventually ceased to move. Voices could be heard, those of Brer and Zulon and other guards. Vitruvion looked at Avis then took up his neck scarf he still had not replaced and leant forewards to tie it around her eyes again. She heard the door open, locks being turned, then she was bundled from the carriage and sunlight peered in once more. A short walk, a hobbled walk and the light and warmth was gone, and despite her protestations she was once more led, bound hand and foot, down the stairs and rooms and corridors, into the stony depths that was the Hollow.

Stare
06-22-17, 04:09 AM
Two days passed. Peace, freedom and silence. Enough time to contemplate her moment with Thesus, what had happened. The major factor that she could not get over was the effect she had had on him. His lack​ of ability to breathe, his gasping claim of "seeing things". What things? Well, clearly terrible ones by his reaction. Perhaps his doom, perhaps his nightmares. Perhaps visions of despair, perhaps simply what he feared the worst that could happen.

That day she was back in the carriage. Vitruvion's attitude seemed to have changed. Slightly. He had reduced the amount of bindings to the leather cuffs and rope binding her body, still with a short chain for a hobble and still with her muzzle but he did not require her to be padlocked to the carriage itself. Instead he relied on her to sit as the blindfold was taken off and the carriage rocked into motion. Vitruvion had not mentioned why she and her two guards were accompanying him, nor could she now ask. He just left her to muse and consider and try to figure out just what the hell his deal was.

Blaze had come to see her the evening after Avis had returned from the event with Thesus Heysan. Apparently Blaze had been out into the world but only a few times, and they were to accompany Vitruvion as his restbite on business trips. Blaze had apparently come to the Hollow two years after Spice, hearing the news from Hope herself, who had known the elf. Spice had died of an apparent illness. Spice had been mysterious in her ways, and Vitruvion had been obsessed with her, doting on her. He had been distraught when she had passed.

The major thing that concerned Blaze was Vitruvion's claim of owning documents that signed Avis to him on an international level. Whereas Avis had little knowledge​ of Hernsford Blaze knew it was a coastal city on the much undiscovered continent of Dheathian. It was a city-state, powerful in its vast navy and commerce, the main trade of which was human lives. For centuries it had fought other nations to keep their rights in owning other people, and the general consensus was so long as the slave was from Hernsford and had been bought there, there was no doubt, internationally, that they belonged to their master.

"I've never been to Hernsford though!" Avis had protested.

"Do you think that matters?" Blaze had said, "Vitruvion knows a slave trader there, one whom can have the documents created from scratch with the real ingredients. He can make it seem like the records of selling were just never written down and - oops, there another becomes property over here. I imagine it would have cost Vitruvion a great amount of money."

"Great, so I cost him a lot of money now did I?" Avis had drawled sarcastically. "And to whomever he flashes the paper at they'll believe I fucking belong to the guy. Like a cow, or a plant!"

"You're worth more than a plant to him," Blaze had frowned.

Stare
06-22-17, 04:14 AM
"Uh huh. And every time I deny to someone that I've ever been to Hernsford, Vitruvion the Bastard will just go on about how I'm lying because I'm a fucking slave."

It seemed Vitruvion had become obsessed with the idea that Avis belonged to him. In his own words he had never really enjoyed displaying the fact that he possessed his girls of the Hollow ... That was apart from her. And apparently Spice, and before her the other nameless one who committed suicide. All of them, according to Blaze, had some form of extraordinary talent that had delighted Vitruvion. For a moment Avis was sure she had heard jealousy in Blaze's voice, but she dismissed it, thinking why would she be jealous of me, when I not the one who has their future entirely forced for them. If the documentation stood in a court and Vitruvion would truly put out a bounty for her.

"We're not going past the market so you won't see your old master," Vitruvion said in a calm, cool voice. "I have been considering allowing you to see him one last time, but I have not yet decided. That will be up to you. If you behave."

Avis rolled her eyes at his comment of her obedience. It was becoming irritating, his constant reminder that she was not apt to obeying his commands.

He remained quiet for the majority of the trip, keeping himself to himself. And revealing no more about what their purpose was.

Brer said little, only grunting and agreeing with what Vitruvion said, Zulon said less and Avis was muzzled. Personally she hated the contraption, but she knew it was Vitruvion's way of controlling her one more way. He had taken her virginity, her pride and freedom, and now he had temporarily taken her voice.

He murmured things every so often, comments about people outside on the streets. Sometimes there was little to see but others there was the daily lives of Raiaeran elves. He would say if something intrigued him - such as a young boy filling an amphroae with water from a pump - or if there was an unusual happening - a husband arguing with his wife's affair partner about who loved her more. He seemed to find ordinary life difficult to fathom - an aged man walking across the road slow and steady - and the mundane fantastic - a woman hanging out all of the washing for her large family whilst her twenty children ran about her feet. He was in the middle of explaining about an elf man fixing the slates on his roof when the carriage suddenly drew to a halt with a heavy thump.

Vitruvion immediately frowned, and he peered out of the window with more scrutiny. "We are not here yet. What can be going on?"

Another thump, and a couple of raised voices. Vitruvion sighed. "Zulon, go ask the driver what the issue is."

The young man nodded and opened the door. Nothing could be seen, apart from visual proof that the carriage had been stopped. Zulon's voice could be heard, asking what was going on as the door began to shut of its own gravity.

Thump. Thwack. A heavy beat that sent the actual carriage rocking. Avis' eyes widened. She turned to stare at Vitruvion, disbelief crossing the face that could be seen.

Vitruvion looked to Brer. "Deal with this. Now." He himself took up his cane. Avis watched with strange intrigue as she saw him twist off the top, and reveal a long, thing dagger from the hilt. "I'll protect my possession."

Possession. Clearly her. Avis growled, squirming in her tight bonds that held arms to body, hands together at her waist.

Brer grunted and pulled open the door. Immediately he was assailed straight into combat, his mattock flying into the air. Avis recoiled, bringing her legs up onto the seat. Beside her Vitruvion threw the latter half of his cane to the ground and bared the dagger beside her in readiness.

I could fight were it not for these darn things, she thought in a hiss.

Stare
06-22-17, 04:15 AM
The other door was wrenched open, and a masked fighter shoved his face in. With a sneer in his eyes he bore a long wicked knife and threw himself into the carriage, eyeing up his prize. With both doors open now effort had to be made to keep eyes on both. Vitruvion threw himself forwards to begin grappling with the man as Avis was left alone, defenceless aside from her own will. Desperately she tried to gain some ground by tucking her hobbled feet beneath her on the seat. At least the claws would provide one singular weapon, what with her hands immoveable and her beak leather-bound.

Snap.

She looked over and saw Vitruvion's hand on the masked assailants face. It was running with a strange frostiness, with deep furrowed lines as if the man had suddenly aged. The half-celestial was gasping, hair having becoming loose in the fray, and the dagger still in his hand. Grabbing the body with one hand he prepared to hoist it and throw it out.

Suddenly the side where Brer had been found an enemy. A jeering face appeared, black hair and a ragged scar over an eye. He saw Avis in the corner near him and his eyes began to light up as he reached for her with grabbing hands. Vitruvion began to shout - but not before Avis reacted. Kicking up and out she doing her feet into the man's face, hitting hard into him and sending them both slamming into the ground outside.

Immediately the man began to yell and scrabble. He had a pointed weapon of some kind which he tried to flash in Avis' face. She was sprawled by him, on her back, her legs tangled with his. As he leapt for her she twisted her legs up in the air, downing him for their conjoined mess. Crumpling, he fell back down and she looked briefly around to see a host of other assailants, three at the moment being kept at bay by the huge Brer, and more trying to calm the rearing, frightened horses. Another man came around by the back of the carriage, away from Brer. He saw her, there, fresh for the taking and began to run ...

Twisting sharply around Avis flipped the chain of her legs around the downed man's neck. Crossing her claws at the bottom she yanked tight, causing the neck to suddenly snap and the already bloody face to fade of life. The man running for her - she barely had time. The best she could do was try to rock herself up onto her knees so she now was leaning on her recent victim's body. She slammed her head into the man's groin as he came at her and though she gained quiet the savage wound down and around her shoulder she managed to have him winded.

Suddenly then his face was twisted into a horrible mess. Avis' eyes grew as she saw his eyes pop from his skull in horrific fashion, his tongue loll out and his nostrils flare. He went cross eyed - then promptly fell to the ground like a downed tree and behind him the bloodied and bruised figure of Zulon appeared. His chest was heaving, his eyes round and filled with madness. On his head was running blood from a wound where he clearly had been hit on the head.

Avis stared up at him and he looked down, a wry and mad smile on his face. She stared through her muzzle, trying to tell him with her eyes to cut her out of her bonds.

But the dazed, hardly recovered man did not even begin to comprehend. From the side Avis could see one of Brer's attackers break from his defensive cover and aim straight for the inside of the carriage.

Stare
06-22-17, 04:16 AM
Zulon did not move. Fuck, Avis thought, and she was on her clawed feet, uneasily unwrapping them from the neck of her kill. As she saw the new attacker get his torso stuck in the carriage and begin to make horrendous noises, she scuttled and did her best to run. She slammed her shoulder into the small of his back where it would react on his solar plexus. Right where her father had always told to hit.

Down he fell, stunned and frozen like her second. She pushed him with the form of her bound body, down to the side. He collapsed down, his eyes huge in disbelief on how a nearly completely trussed up parcel had defeated him.

Behind him was the form of Vitruvion, staring at her with round, fixed and determined eyes. He was clearly in a state, no less than three bodies around him, each one of them with grey skin and frost covering their forms, as if they had been exposed to the harsh Berevar elements. Avis remembered the freezing, numbing touch of his created metal collar, and the chill of Ventrua's healing and she knew then that they had died due to his magic touch.

Blood still dripped from his blade as he stood over a body that was just slumping to the ground. Clearly he had been being attacked from his side when the now downed man had come, and it could have been a close death battle.

Reaching out he grabbed her with his spare hand, wrapping his fingers around the ropes at her front. She scrabbled at the steps with her feet, using them to aid his reach and ease herself up and in. Zulon suddenly seemed to come back to his senses as he stabbed into the one who was downed, piercing him through the eye and into the brains.

Dropping her onto the floor beside his bodies, Vitruvion slammed the door that he had originally been assaulted from shut and shouted out of the other.

"Get us out of here," he yelled. "Zulon, to the front, Brer, keep one alive and bring him."

He crouched low over Avis, long knife out and his eyes twitching to either side. There was a moment of shouting, of scuffling and pain. Avis saw Zulon running forewards, yelling as he went for the guards holding the horses. A body fell, a shout went out and horses shrieked. Avis began to try to get up to her knees.

A foot softly pressed on her back - not hard but built with pressure. "You've done enough for now, Stare. Stay down until we are out of here."

Suddenly the door was opened more. And a dozed, barely breathing body was thrown onto a seat, shortly followed by large Brer. Avis curled up, trying to duck beneath it all as the carriage suddenly lurched and they were galloping off at full speed, three bodies plus an unconscious prisoner now in the back.

Vitruvion remained where he was, crouched low over Avis, his hand in place of his foot on the back of her neck to guide her to keep there. In a rough voice he spoke to Brer. "How many?"

"Ten at least," the half-giant grunted. "She took out one, Zulon a couple, me a handful."

So there may be one or two left alive?"

Stare
06-22-17, 04:19 AM
Brer shrugged. "Maybe."

Vitruvion was nodding. "Good. Then they'll live to tell the tale that Vitruvion Elssmith is not so easy to destroy."

Finally he glanced down at Avis. "Are you hurt?" He asked.

Her chest was heaving and she swallowed before gesturing with her eyes to her shoulder where congealed blood was starting to gather over the feathers there.

Nodding, Vitruvion leaned in to gaze at it, using his daggerless hand to ease the feathers apart. She let out am agonising groan through her muzzle as he did so, clearly stating that she was in pain.

"We will have it seen to as soon as we get back," he said in a low, tense voice. "Then I will find the bastards who did this." He tilted his head to gaze into her eyes. "You saved me there, Stare. You could have let the bastard have me, but you didn't. Now why is that?"

In all honesty Avis did not know. But she simply acknowledged that in the heat of the moment it had been between facing death at the hands of the attackers, or facing life at the hands of Vitruvion. Despite what a half-life it was.

Clenching her jaw she looked right back at him, explaining her uncertainty in her eyes. With a small smile he cupped the back of her head and whispered to her.

"It should be me who protects you, as I have taken that responsiblity on as your master and owner," he stroked her feathers gently. "But you have given me a great service today and shown me you possess the spirit of a queen. I am proud of you, my kenku."

Curling up slightly she rolled onto her side, avoiding as best as she could the numerous bodies. But it was impossible with the number that there were. Vitruvion stayed by her, sliding away the point of his dagger into the hilt of his cane. Trying once more to ease herself onto her knees she tucked them underneath her, grunting in a muffled way.

He rested a hand on her shoulder, easing it slightly as she got to her knees, breathing hard and laboured. He said nothing more, simply held her eyes.

The carriage heaved to a sudden halt. Vitruvion stood, telling Brer to bring the prisoner as he took Avis by the upper arm, encouraging her up. He paused and grabbed his scarf from his neck. Without asking her he draped it around her eyes and tied it off, then standing to take her wrist.

Guiding her through the halls and corridors, stairs and ramps, avenues and alleys. Through to the main room where her blindfold was removed late. Then the door to her room appeared before her and by then she was wheezing with trying to keep with him. Heavily, she collapsed into a chair, just sitting there as Vitruvion looked at her, a firm frown on his face. The door was still open. But he did not seem bothered by that. Instead he reached over, and began to unbuckle her muzzle.

She practically spat it out, gasping as she did.

"That thing -" breath, "Hate it."

Stare
06-22-17, 04:21 AM
"Yet it is necessary," Vitruvion replied, taking the leather and folding it into a small section. "For when I take you out again."

"Again?" Avis placed her head back against the chair, swallowing huge gulps of fresh air. She eyed him warily. "So your whole speech-"

"About using you for more, yes," he nodded, leaning back slightly on his cane. "As you know the documents are set, and you have already proved your worth. You killed today without barely being able to move, and that was impressive. Not many of my men could do such."

"Father taught me," she sighed, glancing down at her hands. "Can we remove these now please? I'm inside."

"Wait until Brer is here," Vitruvion said, straightening to walk around the bed and find the other chair. He took it up and carried it back around with an easy arm, the other holding onto his cane without clacking on the ground.

"What are you going to do to him?" She asked, eyes watching him. "The unconcious one?"

"I have enough devices that can be altered for torture," he replied without a hint of remorse in his voice. He set the chair opposite her and sank into it.

Avis was silent for a while, thinking of the poor man's fate. Certainly with Vitruvion's reputation and with the amount of things that could be used for pain he was going to either tell them all - or die full of agony.

"So where were we going before the attack?" She asked quietly.

"That is for me to know and you to not ask about," Vitruvion said running a hand through his hair. He winced as he apparently came across a small scrape. "Perhaps it will be rearranged."

"Where though?"

"Do I need to repeat 'not to ask about'?" He said in a heated tone, eyes narrowing at her.

She looked at him for a while, considered what position she was in now. The way she was bound, their relationship now, the potential permanence of this ...

"No," she dryly replied.

"Exactly, I don't," he nodded. "See, these questions are fine, daring is allowed, but when I give a direct order I expect the men I pay to carry it out, and moreover yourself. Because-"

"You own me, legally, sort of," Avis grumbled. "I got it."

"For all accounts I do. Technically the law requires for me to have bought you in Hernsford itself," Avis nodded with disgust, she had heard this from Blaze already. "But of course any time you deny it, I can simply claim you are lying for your own benefit. And anyone believes the master's tale over the slave's in a court of law."

"And what happens if they have those who can tell if you are lying or not in court?" Avis dared to ask.

Stare
06-22-17, 04:22 AM
"Well eventually, when we have time, I will be taking you to Hernsford, where my contact there will make the matter even more formal. An exchange of money is all that is required," he grinned, showing the edge of teeth. "And then, my dear, you will not be able to deny anything. I will have, quite literally exchanged money for you in a fashion I believe they call 'buying'."

"You're an absolute bastard," she told him, matter of factly.

He nodded in agreement. "That I am. And you'll be pleased to know that if I ever died you transfer directly over to Ventrua as she knows my business the best so." He shrugged. "You'll never be free of my influence. Bitch."

"'Bitch'?" She stared at him.

"Yes. I am as much of a bastard as you are a bitch. Thus, this relationship will develop into something rather glorious."

Avis paused, then suddenly asked something that had been on her mind for a while. Despite the emotional complexities of the conversation she had already come to terms with a large part of it. Therefore her mind switched to her questions.

"Do you age at all? And how old are you?"

"I would say that is a rather rude question, but the you are rather blunt." Vitruvion paused. "To answer your question, no, Ventrua and I cannot age due to our genetical make up. And I shall not give you a precise year but I have seen a whole century."

Avis was suddenly struck dumb. Her beak halves parted as she heard his words. Over a century? Fuck me. That was older than any kenku could hope to get.

A soft laugh came. "I see you did not think I was so old. Well, I can tell you that my sister is not much younger than me either. And the Hollow ... This place has been around at least thirty years in some measure. Many hosts and guests have died and come, you know likely that I am the only one of the original ten left." He lounged slightly, tapping his cane off the floor with mild eagerness. "And I have changed in that time."

"I'm fifteen." She paused, and a lump came into her stomach realising she had missed her birthdays. "Sixteen now. The age of majority for my people is thirteen and we consider ourselves a good age if we have lived to forty years."

"Short," Vitruvion frowned slightly. "Something should be done about that."

"What?" She furrowed her brow, staring at him.

He waved a hand. "Do not worry. It is none of your major interest for now."

Creasing her brow she glared at him whilst he continued to smile. It was then she realised that if he did not age at all, then he would still be around when she was nearing her death bed. Still young, agile, full of life.

He was going to be extremely hard o escape.

"Sir," came a grunt. Both Avis and Vitruvion looked over to see Brer in the open door. The half-giant paused. "He's in the stocks of anti-chamber."

"Chained?"

Brer growled a nod.

"Good, then I shall get information from him."

Vitruvion moved to his feet, then looked at Avis he paused, then took his knife from the tip of his cane, now knowing that she herself had comprehension of its existence, and then he leant down towards her. She sucked in her breath, holding herself still as he unplucked the majority of the cords there.

He leant back up and started striding off as she eased herself out of the constraints, only the binds on her legs and wrists left.

"Tell Jared to bring her the best of the meals," Vitruvion said to Brer. "And undo the rest of her bonds." He handed him a key. "When Zulon is recovered have him resume duties, I want her guarded at all times. This one is precious to me, Brer and I will not allow clumsiness to be the reason I lose her."

"I can hear you, you know," Avis offered, rolling back her shoulders and beginning to ease her stiff joints.

"Good, then you know that I will be most irritated if you got these men into trouble as well as leaving here without my instruction."

It was a threat. A mild one, but still a threat. That if she tried or was successful at escaping it would not be her now who was punished. Whoever has been guarding her would face judgement also.

She was standing now and he was leaving. She heard the click of the door being shut, then footsteps as Brer came to her, key in hand. He raised an eyebrow when he came to her and she raised her wrists, allowing him to do his work.

"You escape, and it is bad for me."

"I know," she sighed. "Don't​ worry, I know it's stupid for me to try now."

"Even outside."

"Even outside," she agreed.

Stare
06-22-17, 04:26 AM
"Vitruvion is over a hundred years old?"

Avis sighed as she picked at her food, watching Blaze take in the information with amazement. "Yes, and his sister."

"So he's immortal?"

"Well he can't age and so yes, in a way."

Jared the steward had bought her a fine rump stake, the best Avis had had in a long time. It was seasoned well and came with high quality potatoes, vegetables and a half glass of rich red wine. It was rare she was given alcohol, but she knew it was because of the fact she had fought for Vitruvion. On his side. And potentiqlly saved his life.

"But he's a hundred?"

Dramatically, Avis sighed and looked over to Blaze who was pacing, trying to take this all in. "Yes, it makes complete sense. And the Hollow has been in Beinost for over thirty years. Vitruvion has run it, to varying degrees for all that time. He knows precisely what he is doing in this city and what he is doing here."

"Finding girls for pleasure?"

"That and indenturing them into an unavoidable life of slavery."

Blaze's lips pursed. "He said he wants to take you to Hernsford?"

"To make whatever the literal hell my life is official, yes."

She looked honestly surprised. "He's never gone that far for one of us, Stare. I am sure of it. Not for Spice. Not For Nameless."

Nameless was the term they had decided to use when speaking about the girl whom had come before Spice. The one who had committed suicide.

Stare gazed at her for a long time. "Then what is he playing at? I'm probably the least enthusiastic about this whole idea of his, the most reluctant 'guest' he has ever had, yet he is fully determined that I am basically stuck for the rest of my mortal life."

Blaze tucked a length of her brilliant red hair behind her ear and shrugged slightly. "All we can know is he thinks of you as special. So be thankful for that."

Once more Avis felt an ugly feeling coming from the sort-of elf. Pausing, she made her voice patient and calm and asked Blaze just what was on her mind. "Blaze, please just tell me. Are you jealous? Because I've heard it more than once in your voice now?"

The fiery red-head sat there in silence for a moment before huffing. "Well I have been here for longer than you."

Avis couldn't believe her. "You are jealous because I am getting my future decided for me? Because Vitruvion has literally bound my existence to him?"

"It's not that," Blaze flashed a look of anger. "It's the attention, the glory that you are getting. You have been here four months and already you have been outside twice. In three days! Chances are you are going to be able to do that a lot. He says he wants to use you for other things - don't you realise that means less sex and more business ventures? Of course I am jealous, Stare. You've got the trust from him that I've worked years to gain."

Avis went quiet as Blaze had her tirade. Pressing her the halves of her beak together she tried not to argue, but rather kept her silence. Huffing in her own way she tried to not agree with the points Blaze madez but rather retort them with her own pains.

Stare
06-22-17, 04:27 AM
When Blaze was done Avis let the silence extend for a while between them. She blinked a few times, listening but refuting in her mind before she finally quietly responded.

"He doesn't trust me. He's never going to trust me. That's partly why he is doing all of this."

"Well he gives you the special attention anyway," Blaze huffed, folding her arms across her chest.

"And that makes you jealous."

"That makes me jealous," Blaze agreed, nodding.

She watched as Avis sat there awkwardly, between trying to reason and eating her dinner. The kenku rubbed her arm, unsure of what to say or do, and thus Blaze let out a sigh. She stood, brushing down her usual white blouse, far too small for her.

"I'm going to go. I'll see you likely when there's updates, I'm sure."

Avis gave her a brief smile with her eyes, then nodded. "I guess so," she agreed.

Blaze gazed at her for one long moment before nodding and turning. With a hard knock at the door she demanded it open.

As it did a piercing cry ran through the room. A cry of pain and of terror and fear. Avis winced, knowing that the cry could only be from the captured man. The one within the attack whom Brer had chosen to keep alive. At Vitruvion's orders.

Blaze turned and held eyes with Avis in that moment. The kenku saw her angst and her jealousy, but also her understanding. There was a small flash there, where pity suddenly swam into Blaze's eyes and Avis knew that it was not meant for the man. It was the realisation that the one doing the torturing was the one who had stolen them both from their lives and held them here against their will. It was an understanding that there might, one day, be a way out for Blaze, but for Avis right now, there was not.

Ducking her head, Blaze turned again, breathing softly. Another ringing scream ran around the halls and it was all she could do was close her eyes against it. Against the door directly to her right where the anti-chamber of desperation and filth was, where Avis had first ever been taken by Vitruvion. Blaze didn't wait for her guards with their quarterstaffs to gather. She strode to the other door that led across the corridor and into the next set of rooms, her guards hurrying to catch up with her and open the doors. Avis watched her until Brer came into view and told her he should really close and lock her door. And she sighed, then nodded. Turning back to her since she resumed eating the fine food, only hearing the highest, most piercing of screams from then on.

Stare
06-22-17, 04:28 AM
Eventually the screams fell to naught. It took an entire night for the man to finally fall silent and when he did Avis felt her heart sink. Another life taken, but one that had to be done if they were ever to find out who had planned the attack. And with a man like Vitruvion at the helm - the torture would continue until he had an answer. That or he would call on his strange and mysterious powers, whatever they were exactly, to instill the chill of his might on the man.

Further days passed, and Avis received no word nor visitors. She spent time spoiling herself - allowing time for a ridiculously long bath and a stride around the halls once she asked Brer nicely enough. Naturally the half-giant​ insisted on a severe amount of bonds, based on what she had done last time when they had been striding together. With her hands firmly lashed behind her back and a chain that led from her throat to his hand the two of them, along with Zulon quietly joining in, enjoyed a stroll and a chat about romantic fiction. They passed a couple of the other brothers - including Hugin who seemed to be particularly delighted on a new girl he had just caught that was a faun apparently. He was in lively discussion with one of his subordinates going towards Vitruvion's halls, likely to discuss Reign - or possibly even the attack. Avis did not care for Hugin anyway to pay full attention much. She kept going, chat in companionship, effort on Brer and Zulon.

Avis took to spending a long time in bed, either reading or dozing off to sleep. She had decided that if this was her lot, and she was to remain in this room mostly for the rest of her life - why then she's sleep as much as she can now. The romance novels brought adventure in her dreams and ideas of a future that would never be.

Of course, her stare still bothered her, but the lack of explanation left it in the realms of 'has been thought of too many times'. There she left it, and only briefly did she consider it's power, and just what interest Vitruvion had within in. So she concentrated on better things, on books and beginning to doodle her life away.

It was dusk the day he finally came, and her life position was settled. She knew it was dusk as Jared had recently brought her evening meal - still elaborate like the last few days had been. Avis had crawled into bed after a long day of sharing tales of her childhood to a barely speaking Zulon and reading, and now was as needing rest as a babe. With her eyes slipping closed and her, as usual, naked but for her feathers body curled up under the covers, she began to settle down and ready herself for a long night of sleep.

Dim flickering torch lights. Exhaustion. She was drifting off, almost in the point of sleep, when the door creaked open. There were no whispers, no asking if she was awake, just a short pause and - whistle - cloth flew with silent steps.

"Stare," came the murmur beside her ear.

Inching one eye open, heavy lided as it was Avis saw the hazy figure of the wjite-blonde haired man crouching beside her bed. A future she recognised, that she had not seen for days, and to be honest someone she really did not want to see right now.

"Jus' fallin' sleep," she mumbled. "Come back l-lahtersh."

A soft finger traced the curve of her right hand. Smoothly it rose and fell with the knuckles, and she enjoyed the feeling in that moment. There was no denying it felt nice, like a little hand massage as she drifted off.

"May I have your hand?" He asked gently.

"Hmmm?"

"Your hand."

Stare
06-22-17, 04:29 AM
"Sleeping, it's not ... Mmm hmm," she flopped her hand into his. A small request, she reasoned. Besides the massage was nice. Maybe he was just being nice just now. It was possible. Her sleepy thinking self thought so.

"I have a present for you," he breathed the words. "May I give it to you?"

"Present?" Her half-concious mind asked.

"Stare, I need you to say that you accept my present."

"Why'm you givin' me a present jus'"

"Do you accept it?" He pushed suddenly, speaking in louder, more insistent tones.

Her reaction was to jolt awake more, the part of her brain that dealt with irritations coming on. She opened her other eye and fixed him with a steely, awake but annoyed look.

"If it will make you shut up, then yes. I accept the damn present."

His lips spread into a wide smile. "Thank you," he said, and his hands then slipped something over hers. A small light metal cuff that was smoothly slid up her hand, and nestled into the room at her wrist.

A nice fit. Fine. She began to sigh. "You've given me the present, now can you please leave me to-"

Pressure then at her wrist. Warmth and a tingling feeling. Right arm, where the cuff had been slipped. Suddenly her body jolted awake and she started, looking down at her wrist. The cuff, made of some dull but gorgeous silver metal was literally adjusting itself as she watched. It was fitting in to fix exactly around the circumference of her wrist, fitting to the exact dimensions of its whole two inches of length, to close neat at the place near the heel of her hand. Prickling began to come as across the small inch space that had allowed the room for it to be slipped on and off silver lacing appeared, darting from nowhere, weaving in and out of unseen holes to tighten the cuff, keep it from slipping, holding the entire thing perfectly in place.

With a light pinching feeling it suddenly stopped. Avis' heart beat wildly as she stared at the now perfectly shaped icon of metal jewelry glistening at the base of her hand. The lacing - it seemed to be made of the same metal, and didn't have any knots or sense in the pattern where it began or finished. Instead, as Avis moved her left fingers to try picking at it, they held like tiny wires, not shifting, the whole thing fixed to her arm no matter how much she grabbed it and tried to twist it off. As she tried to wriggle it to find any room for maneouvre, all she found was the perfection of the fit, so careful and fantastic, that it made her realise there was only one explanation.

His eyes alive with a pleasure so fine, and an elation extraordinary, Vitruvion now sat by the bed in a chair he had apparently moved in her desperation to move the cuff. As she raised her head to stare at him in confusion, shock and awe his lips curled further with delight, watching her sit up slowly, the covers falling off her.

"What in the hells this?" She demanded in a nervous but determined voice.

Stare
06-22-17, 04:30 AM
Her right hand was raised, holding up the figment of her question.

Vitruvion gazed at her carefully, the sparkle though not dying in his eyes.

"It is a gift," he said in a calm and collected voice. "That you accepted. It is the culmination of our future."

"What the fuck is it, Vitruvion?"

His eyebrows rose, but he did not react, apart from a small sigh and his smile dying.

"I spent the last three days in continuous meditation ..." He paused, "In comune with my father."

Her eyes blinked rapidly. "Your ... Father?"

He inclined his head with a slow verification. "Indeed. The celestial half of my hybrid ancestry." He straigtened his back. "I posed the question of yourself to him, he answered and together we created that," he nodded at the cuff.

Entirely stuck, not knowing what to ask or what to say, Avis stumbled for a moment. She stuttered, wanting to ask about his father - his father! - and wanting to know more about what the hell he had given her. Opening her mouth with no sounds coming out she huffed and he waited absolutely patiently, hands folded in his lap.

"What ... What is this? What does it do apart from apparently stay in my wrist?"

"It will, with time, adjust to any natural chance in your body, but yes, as you say, that cuff is now yours. To stay there." He gazed directly into her eyes. "It is your reminder of who you are from now on, Stare. It is a bond between us, a token that you are mine, from this day forth. Both legally and conjusively."

At his words she was scrabbling at her arm, trying to push the thing off. She clawed at it, grunted and groaned as she tried to prise her left claws under the thing and tear it off with all her strength.

"Stare, it is of celestial magic," Vitruvion said, raising his voice, to gain power over her desperate groaning, "It cannot be removed."

"Fucking take it off," she demanded, holding it out to him.

He just arched an eyebrow. "You agreed to be giving it to you. You think I would go through all of this to remove it now?"

"Take it off me right now," she shouted, thrusting it in his face.

Grabbing her wrist suddenly his face turned sour. He threw her back against the bed, eyes turning mad with anger. Shoved, she fell back, smashing against the pillows in a flurry of heat and ire, her heart racing and her eyes going wide.

"Not in a thousand years, Stare," he hissed, his more normal, dark self flittering in. Jaw clenched he stared back at her her with all the fury of a hundred lives. She was caught in sudden silent fear, not in pain but the throw had been damaging enough.

Stare
06-22-17, 04:31 AM
As she lay there, sprawled under his dark eyes he resumed his seat, rolling back his shoulders and keeping his eyes level with her. Once again he took the pose of a lord, his hands carefully positioned on his lap, his hair framing his face to perfection. Only his face told of the irritation within.

"You are mine," he repeated. "My property, mine to control. That cuff and this ring here," he gestured to a finger, where a thin band of the same grey metal was sitting. "They are connected. When I wish it we now share a mental link, that reaches from one corner of the globe to the other. I will be able to see what you are doing, know where you are. You cannot do the same back. Now-"

Suddenly she was leaping, hand out. Her claws were sharp and ready, reaching for his own finger he had gestured. Her face was a mask of desperation, reaching for the ring, to grab it under any circumstances, and tear it off him. Surely if-

A shock of cold, terrible pain rippled up her spine. It was the freeze if Berevar, the plunging of a body into frigid, killing waters. Pain was mixed in, savage, tearing agony that ripped open the skin and grasped with glacial cruel claws at her tendons and flesh, eating away at her bone with a ravishing hunger.

"And, that," came the voice of sour disappointment. "Really, Stare, you should have realised that would be a part of its power."

Weakly, and shivering, she gazed over at him from her curled position on the bed. The pain had now gone but it did not stop her from shaking and the tears rolling down her face. Her body was curled right into itself, feeling betrayed, hurt and ravaged.

Vitruvion pursed his lips and blinked a few times. "Even if you try to cut off your hand, there will be consequences. The cuff stays, and you are mine. I will be able to hear what you hear, see what you see, but you will not know when I am listening. I will be able to commune with you in your head and you will be able to talk back, if I am listening." He paused. "That is the only power it will grant you. As for the pain, that is a warning. Every time you stray too far, disobey an order, do anything I deem that goes against my wishes, then I can call upon it. It is my guarantee, my control." He looked down at her. "As we begin to explore what just the hell it is you are together and just what you can do, I will be there."

Thick tears fell from her eyes.

"Do you understand?"

She didn't answer. Instead she curled herself tighter into a ball, turning over so her back was too him.

Vitruvion breathed in slowly, and then grunted. He stood up to purposefully but strangely gently slide her unfighting firm up to the top of the bed, then he pulled the covers over her.

"Over the next few days," he said, "We will start adjusting. With this I shouldn't need to waste time binding you every time we go out. Brer and Zulon ... Well at the very least I will not need to hire a third man to keep an eye on you." He laid a hand on her hair gently, and she shook a little, biting back sobs. "For I am your eyes now." He paused and then stood up, straightening his back. To himself he nodded, and moved the chair back to where he had found it.

"For now, sleep," he said, "For tomorrow is a new day."

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
06-26-17, 11:49 AM
Stare receives 3080 EXP and 385 GP!

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
06-27-17, 02:17 AM
All rewards added!