PDA

View Full Version : Futures and Legacies

Stare
07-03-17, 11:18 AM
Follow up to the Hollow triology (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?32296-The-Hollow-Part-Three-Horizons-(Mature)&highlight=hollow)

Rated Mature, but less hard-core mature than Hollow.

Two Months Later.

Silence.

The purest of atmospheres. An absence of everything else, but that which is nothing. No whispers, no heartbeats of the earth, and no calls of nature. It was a hollow, empty shell, but a void that invited the beautiful ability of creation. It was a silence that was the beginning and the end, the love and the hate, the hurt and the joy.

Focus. Focus your mind on the silence and let it fill you. For this silence can be found in the most noisy of places, the distracting and the raucous. If you were in the heat of battle you could believe in the absence of all else except this silence. For this silence is the truth between all things, the space between realms. It is the time of no air, the distance between the magical world and the physical one. All you need to do is focus and you can find it.

Focus.

Focus.

Focus.

"For heaven's sake just focus!"

A voice. The voice. His voice. Ruining it, ending it, breaking the silence's reign.

Swiftly she turned from the stunned and shivering pig in the corner of the room, twisting right around to face him, lounging there in his throne-like chair. Indeed, he was sitting in an agitated manner, but it did not take away from the relaxed aristocratic role he took. Anger permeated her face, not too different from the hateful rage that had been filling her before. Letting her claws scrape the fine tiles of the floor, she rose, like an eagle from its nest.

"Shouting at me does not involve more focus," she growled, her hands rolling into fists. "In fact it takes away from what I am trying already."

"The pig is still the same as the last ten," Vitruvion replied, spreading a thin and pale fingered hand towards the swine. "Exactly the same, in fact. You have not improved."

Avis was incredulous. "Vitruvion, one interrupting me every time you want me to do better doesn't help. Two, it's a pig, they're all pigs, so they can't tell us what they're experiencing. Three, I have practically no idea what I am doing with this, so complaining at me to try to 'improve' is not going to work in these circumstances."

"Your powers are triggered by your intense feelings of hate, fear, anger ... and others," he shrugged. "That we know, therefore we can say we are a large part of the way to understanding your ability."

"But not all of it," she stressed, throwing her hands up. Then she sighed with a groan and ran fingers through the feathers about her head. "I don't know what I am, and you said you would be able to figure it out."

He watched her then, in silence but with his eyebrow raised. He watched as her focus slipped from him to the ground, staring at the tiles around her feet in the small basement room. The walls were simply plastered and the ceiling had a small hanging chandelier, and the only furniture was Vitruvion's lordly chair. Else, the room was bare, and a set of wooden stairs led to the next floor. It was a far cry from the underground labyrinth tunnels of the Hollow, where Vitruvion had kept her the first four months of their acquaintance. For above the basement was a servants mess hall. And by that a kitchen. And that kitchen led up to a grand dining hall which was the centre of the glorious town mansion that was Vitruvion's city home in Beinost.

His true home. Where he resided when he was not in the Hollow. His business home. And the same home where he had brought Avis two weeks after he had resolved to have her at his side for the rest of her life.

"I said we would explore the situation, Stare," he said, using the name that had originally been formed when she was a simple slave concubine in his empire of the Hollow. Now she was his ... Whatever she was, though still a slave under his pretense of near to official documentation. "I did not say I would provide direct answers. For I have as much interest in this as you. Otherwise I would have kept you in the Hollow, chained as you were. I wouldn't have gone through these extensive measures to keep you at my side."

Avis did not respond. She had very little to say. Her right hand wandered over to her left wrist, where a small scrap of leather was bound. It hid a cuff, one that had been designed, made and placed on her by Vitruvion. He watched as she held it in her hand, and folded his own left hand into a fist. In his third finger sat a dull silver ring, and it was onto this he concentrated. For the ring was joined directly to the cuff, the master over the subjugated. Through it he could see what she could, hear what she could, know her thoughts, and never the other way around. She would never know when he was in her mind, and she could never take the cuff off. It was bound shut with impossible metal thread that was part of the cuff itself, but his could be removed. In essence, he was the controller, she was his device, and if she ever considered anything less his celestial power could be called through it to fill her body with frigid, unyielding pain.

Very gently he poked at her conciousness, somewhere near her hip. Suddenly, as the vivid physicality of the prod came to be, and Avis was struck by a short but agonising sting. Gasping, her body flinched with a uncommanded convulsion, and she lifted her head up to look at him with wide, stormy eyes.

"Good," he said. "You are paying attention again. Let us finish for the day." He nodded to the corner where the supine creature had now toppled onto its side, eyes rolled back, dumb. "Deal with that. I will be down in the Hollow for the rest of the evening." He began to rise from the chair.

Gulping in air, gaining back her sanity from the cruel though brief stab of pain, Avis stuttered as she responded. "Th-that's not my job," her voice was near breathless. "I don't know anything about-"

But he was already walking, striding long footsteps over to the stairs. "I will see you in the morning," he said, entirely ignoring her. "As usual, do not leave your room once you are finished here. Brer will be here tonight to watch you."

With no cane in hand it was his footsteps that were his rhythm. It matched the feverish beat of her heart as she watched him leave. His eyes did not meet hers, they were mere shadows that drifted away and like the very same he carried himself up the wooden steps. Hardened leather boots carried a dull tone, and even as her beak snapped shut as she body gained breath once more. Good breath, stable breath, back from then brink that his dark humour created.

Thud.

The door from the top of the stairs closed with a loud tone. Still feeling tender, she recoiled protectively inwards. Her arms crossed over her chest, she glanced back to the resting pig in the corner and let out a slow sigh before picking her way towards it. Tomorrow, the beast would be sold to the butcher. In a few months time it would die. Sometime in the next week a new pig would arrive, and the same cycle would continue. Gain the pig, stun the pig, sell the pig, forget the pig.

Avis grabbed a rope from the floor, that had been half hidden by shadows, and found the looped end. Going over, she hooked it around the dazed animal's neck and began the long task of encouraging it from the room. It was not the first time she had done this, and it would not be the last. But it was not her speciality, and it was not her ken. The pig squealed, and she did the only thing she knew and pulled on until it followed her up the stairs.

Stare
07-03-17, 11:20 AM
"I thought I told you to stay in your room?"

Her eyes rolled up to his. Blinking, she looked back to him as she gazed up at him.

"It's been three days," she said in a low voice. "You have not been here in all that time. I needed to get out."

"You were not allowed out of your room in the Hollow. I certainly don't think that because you are here now you can take liberties."

She was struck dumb, not sure quite what to say. Indeed her lot in life had changed, and she was no longer doomed a life underground. But, aside from that little had altered. Vitruvion had moved her from the rank of 'for sex' to 'for his own intrigue'. He had changed her from being a central part of his twisted, sexual fantasy, paradise life, to the above-ground, homely, life of servitude. She now sat in an aging armchair in the centre of a tiny lounge, a stroke of sudden agitation running through her. On her lap was a book, and before her was a small tray of food, gained from the lone cook who resided in the city manor.

Looking away she stared with a passion at the book in front of her. She could feel Vitruvion's eyes on the back of her head, glaring at her, waiting for a reply. The reply she would never give.

"Get up," he said, coming over and nudging her leg with his cane.

Her jaw tightened. Slowly she closed the book on her lap, taking a long breath in.

A second nudge came, and it was closer to a shove. "Stare. Get up. Now. And give me the book."

A hand appeared in her vision, flat out and pausing. Avis tightened her jaw, looking at the beige carpet that led to the other few armchairs in the small, tidy living room. Two windows looked out to the south, to the sprawling hedge gardens. It was dressed in general neutral cream, a light but boring room.

Very slowly she lifted the book and slid it into his hand. Fingers closed around it, holding it tight, turning it to his side.

"And get up."

Sighing quietly, she stood, concious of the cuff at her wrist. Taking her by the shoulder, Vitruvion turned her body to face the lone door of the room. He pressed at the back of her ankle with his cane.

"Move. Now."

Slowly she lifted up her head, dignity determined, but stared moving, irritation beginning to rise. But she couldn't react with it, shouldn't react to it. Just keep walking. Keep moving your feet.

She grabbed the door handle, picking up her pace, knowing he was behind her, following her clawed footsteps. Without any prompt she headed straight for the curve of the stairs that rose grandly from the vast, white, marble hall. Her arms folded over her grey tunic, and she began to nearly jog, twisting at the top of the stairway to head for the balcony that ringed the hallway beneath, rooms darting off from all directions of the square shape of it.

There was Brer, standing outside of a plain wooden door. As she headed towards him, he raised an eyebrow, eyes flittering between her and the master behind her. Without so much as a hesitation he turned the knob of the room, opening it. It led to a dark room, panelled entirely in a dull grey-tinted wood, with a small amount of light coming from a tiny bay window window. Into this room Avis strode. She headed right for the bay window, where a cushioned seat lined all the way around.

Down there she dumped herself, leaning right against the window side. And the clack clack of the cane followed her. Right to the window. To her window, in her new panelled room. Compromised of a four poster bed, a wardrobe and a vanity.

"How many times have you been out of this room?" He said in a low, controlled voice.

Her eyes were fixed on the window, overlooking the city that sprawled beneath her like a forgotten wonderland.

"Three," she answered, quiet honestly. "Once, yesterday to the gardens. Twice today, the front lounge and this morning to the kitchens."

A pause. Then a rush of movement and he had taken the seat opposite her. Cane poised between his knees he stared.

Stare
07-03-17, 11:21 AM
"That would be three times then that you disobeyed my orders. I am severely disappointed, Stare. I did not even look into your mind once, rather I gave you the benefit of the doubt," he spat the last word.

Avis sucked in her breath, pulling her legs up to her chest.

"And I assumed you never told Brer that I had given you the order," he said with a grunt. "Otherwise he would never had let you out. At least he is loyal."

Falling silent, Vitruvion studied her. His eyes ran up and down the length of her form. He leant back against the window and willed himself into the ring and into her mind. In it, at the surface thoughts that he could read, he felt the turmoil within her. The complete lack of love for him. The emptiness she felt each time she contemplated her now inevitable future. The anxiety that each day took her through that, at any point, he could choose to cripple her. Maybe even kill her.

In part, she was frightened of him.

A smile flickered onto his lips. Though fear was not what he truly wanted - instead he wanted he devotion - he had used the emotion before to manipulate others. And he could use it to control her.

"I do not want to start locking you in here, Stare. You're not my Hollow guest anymore. Instead you are my project. My device if you will, with hopes of refining your abilities and using that for my benefit. Ever since Thesus Heysan ..."

Thesus Heysan. The first person Vitruvion had had Avis use her powers on. A man who had refused to pay Vitruvion for produce, all because of some small loophole in their business contract. Avis had made the man suffer what he termed as 'nightmares' and he had paid. He had then, some days later, sent a team of individuals to attack and kill both Avis and the half-celestial but that had failed between a mixture of equal effort. In the spirit of the fight Avis had saved Vitruvion's life - whilst being mostly bound. They had found out those responsible for the heist after a long torturous night for one of the attackers, and that had been the simple start. From that day Vitruvion had sworn to himself he would never let Avis from his sight.

"Within the Hollow there were exceptions for belligerency. There were levels I was willing to allow, for you had but one purpose. Now, however, I require that you obey ever order that is given to you. There is no leniency. There are no men waiting outside to drag you onto a bed, or a table for my delight. Instead there is simply yourself, Brer and I, and Brer at one point will be gone. I have given you a mansion to live in, clothes, better food and many other things that your heart desires, but I need your obidience, Stare. From now on I need you to take everything I say seriously, otherwise there will be pain."

To make his point he reached through the ring. He imagined a knife appearing in his hand and he stabbed her in the gut.

Cold, striking and doubtless pain slammed into her body. Suddenly Avis was keening over, screeching out in a loud cry and clutching at her abdomen. The strike was cruel, and it was vicious. It was the dark chord of an endless nightmare, caught in the throes of a deep, long winter.

"That," Vitruvion said in a pitiless tone, "was for disobeying me."

She closed her eyes, holding her torso as if she expected it to fall off.

He kept the pain going for a moment longer, then ended it. A gasp struck from her mouth. Collapsing a little she fell back against the window pane, her breathing erratic. Her eyes were tight closed and she felt as if her world was slipping. Therefore, desperately she clung to it and clung to herself, grasping onto her feathers as she gained back to sanity.

Vitruvion leant forwards. "Do we have an understanding?"

Her eyes were screwed shut and she shook.

When no answer came directly he ground his teeth together. "Stare!" He shouted. "You will answer me directly!"

"Yes," she garbled through unsteady gulps of air. "I understand, you bastard. I am yours to command."

His brow rose with use of the swear, but he let it pass. With the admittance by her own words he was satisfied. He straightened his jacket, leaned forwards and stood.

"Then show me exactly how," he said in a smooth voice. "Get on the bed."

Stare
07-03-17, 11:22 AM
Her eyes flashed to him in honest surprise. Still shaking slightly, still curled up, she whispered, incredulous.

"What?"

He looked right back at her, back straight. "You heard me. Bed, now."

"But I'm not-"

"What? My guest in the Hollow anymore? No you are not, but by your own words you are still mine, to do with as I wish. And right now, I wish to satisfy myself."

A lump caught in her throat. He had only had sex with her once since he had brought her to the city mansion, and that had been once. There had been drink, then some laughter, then rope. He had bound her himself, Brer and Zulon holding her down.

"But we have never ..."

"You are still mine," he looked at her with an undying pride. "Even more so with the documents I have. And when we get to Hernsford it shall be until the remainder of your days." He took a step towards her. "Therefore, I own you and your body. So get on the bed." He paused. "Please."

Slowly she wiped at her cheeks, stained with tears born from pain. "You're asking me to ... Without ...?"

He arched an eyebrow. "Stare. Bed, sex, now. Yes, without." He pointed to the bed with his cane, shaking it. There was a line of irrtation in his voice. When she didn't move directly he sighed. "I do not want to, but do I honestly have to-?"

"No," she got up, surprised at her own speed. Her eyes were huge, glistening a little. With a reluctant heart she found herself an unwilling accomplice. Reluctant, but her body new she had to. "No you don't."

Placing her eyes to the ground she turned to hurry over, knowing what 'that' entailed. After all she had just got a brief dashing of it.

Her claws carried he to the edge of the bed. Once there she found herself sitting on the edge of the bed, barely able to look at him.

A sigh as the clink clunk made its way over.

"On the bed, not at the edge," his patient voice commanded. "And clothes off. Please."

Her beak snapped closed, pressing the halves together as she moved her hands. They slowly undid the belt at her waist, letting it fall to the ground. Pausing after that she took a gulp of air before reaching and scooping her entire tunic off, over her head. Since she wore nothing beneath it floated to the ground and left her there in her simply feathered nakedness.

A tap by her ankle. A nudge with the cane. Taking in a breath she moved backwards onto the bed, lost in it all. Why now? Why this? Why was she doing what he said without ...? Clacking her tongue against the roof of her beak she realised the answer to the latter question at least. Because he still had constraints over her. They might not be physical in the sense of men and ropes, but they were mental. If she ran away, then he would search mentally for her and there would be hell to pay. If she resisted - why, he could cripple her with pain, then take her body.

But with her consent, it could be entirely easier. He could force her, but he was offering her this - a moment of acceptance and a sliver of freedom.

With a small sigh she paid back against the bed, her head on the pillows. Her hands she folded across her stomach for now. Staring up to the stupidly elaborate ceiling she waited. She heard the thwump of cloth falling to the floor and the clatter of the metal vane besides. The creak of the bed came next as he moved onto it, the balance of the bed being upset.

His mostly naked form swam into her vision. And she instinctively froze. But he smiled softly and reached to take her hand, lacing his strong, soft fingers with her clawed, gnarled ones. Pleasure shone in his eye as carefully moved into position.

Stare
07-03-17, 11:25 AM
The next morning she was curled into the bed. A lose foetal position, under a light, thin blanket. As she awoke she felt the warmth of another body near her. Eyes blinking open she saw his still form, still except for the sculpted chest moving slowly up and down. His eyes were peacefully closed and he lay on his side, turned towards her, an arm extended and wrapped around her waist.

Avis swallowed, blinking in the new light. Breathing was hard to regulate with the various memories that swam to her, but she managed. The fact that she had let him come. She had not resisted and been completely accepting of the situation. It had not been rape. In fact she had enjoyed it. For the first time ever.

Dropping her eyes from him she tucked an elbow beneath the arm around her and carefully nudged it upwards. With that movement successful she then twisted out from underneath him. The nausea did not rise like the last time she had awoken in the bed with him - there had been no pain, for a start - and she felt sort of relaxed with it all.

Ducking out from under his reach Avis moved off the edge of the bed. Sliding off it, she took up her tunic once more and pulled it on before making her way over to the bay window. Upon the cushioned seat she sat, reached under the cushion at the back of it to find a book. She didn't dare try to leave the room, for she knew that would be idiocy now. Instead she resigned herself to staying here for the whole day, and the foreseeable next few days.

She got lost in the story, letting the plot fill her mind. It was not a romance from Brer - now, living in the mansion, she had access to Vitruvion's library. With a hundred years of life he had a significant collection. Therefore she was currently absorbed into the tale of an exciting adventure, of a centaur called Nightshade and his dwarf companion Farsee who were hunting for mythical items. The Holy Grains, the Sword of Artur and the lost silver city of El Doro. Right now, in this particular book, they were looking for the legendary Arc of the Conversation - a supposed arch in a city that if one stood under it they could talk to the gods.

Right now Nightshade and Farsee were battling with a crew of human mercenaries whose master wanted the Arc for his own devious desires. They were trapped in a basement of a pub, a ridiculous set of circumstances having led them there, and fighting with whatever they could find. Nightshade had a fire poker and Farsee a chair leg.

"What are you reading?"

She jumped with a gasp at the suddenness of his voice. Looking up, she stared, startled at his figure standing to the side and over her, his head tilted to the side as if trying to read over her shoulder. When their eye contact met he twisted the corner of his mouth into a quirky smile.

"Good morning, Stare."

He was still mostly naked. She felt chagrin rise and she looked hurriedly away, folding her book closed. "Good morning."

A chuckle escaped from his lips. He bent to pick up a pair of trousers from where he had left them near the seat. Avis' darted to outside, where she saw the expanse of the gardens and the high hedge beyond. Luckily there was not even staff out today so no one saw Vitruvion prancing around with his manhood swinging.

"I need you for a business matter down in the Hollow today," he said in a warm voice.

The idea made her startled. She felt like asking why he had not mentioned it the day before, but then she reminded herself that this was Vitruvion. The man who would never explain himself to those he employed. Or owned.

She blinked a couple of times, looking at his refection in the glass rather than him. "A business matter? What sort?"

"Tidying up of the Thesus Heysan affair," he shrugged. "One last witness to question who has been reluctant to speak and whom I cannot torture for legal reasons."

Avis furrowed her brow, confused. "Who ...?"

"Thesus' daughter is married to a Duke," Vitruvion explained, his voice drifting in volume as he moved away. She had to turn her head now to listen. "And the law states that as a duchess I cannot lay a hand on her. But you do not need to lay a single finger, so." He smiled. "You will help today."

Stare
07-03-17, 11:32 AM
"You want me to stare at a duchess?" She asked, disbelief in her voice.

Vitruvion nodded, coming back over to her, picking up his cane from the last thing off the floor. "Indeed, you are going to use your stare on a duchess. We leave in two hours." He ran a hand around the curve of her cheek, brushing the feathers as a moment of rare kindness. She felt a shiver run down her spine, a breath escape from her lips, after all that had occurred the previous night. Vitruvion cupped her chin for the shortest of moments, then let go.

With that done he turned, picking up his boots as he went and left her in her room.

Letting out a sigh Avis sagged back against the window frame. She had never once dreamed she would be required to go back down to the Hollow, but here Vitruvion was, requesting it directly of her. Or rather, telling her so. Having a duchess in the Hollow was something she had not expected - surely if Vitruvion had qualms about torturing her then wouldn't he have brought her here? There were unanswered questions and it made Avis queasy to the stomach to consider them. Would he blindfold her, like he had the other times she had been taken from and to the Hollow? Would he even bind her? The intercourse last night had been a new step in the development of their relationship, something Avis had not expected. Consensual, no fight desired.

Two hours he had said. And knowing Vitruvion that meant an hour and fifty nine minutes. Two hours to get ready in whatever way he expected her to, and very likely not leave the room in that. After all, he had not said she could leave as yet. It was a best guess that it meant she should stay within the walls.

Those walls, however, included her attached bathroom. As with her rooms in the Hollow Avis had a place to wash. More ornate than what she had had, after all this was part of Vitruvion's public home, there was a heavy ceramic tub, with taps. A simply engineering trick stolen from Alerar gave her hot water on command. Thus, Avis ran herself a warm bath, and took her time in relaxing. Afterwards she dressed in a clean tunic, slipping on the leather strip she called a belt, and on top a cosy cotton cloak - one of the many decent quality items her new position granted her.

Barely had she begun to read once more than her door banged open. Brer's face appeared, an awkward smile upon it. Blinking Avis opened her mouth to question his sudden entrance when the half-giant stepped back, opening the door for her.

"We are going downstairs," he grinned. "Down far."

It took her a moment to gather her wits, then she nodded. "To the Hollow."

He nodded. "Yes." And he gestured again.

Taking in a breath Avis stepped out in front of him, raising her head just a little. As she did she was able to peer over the balcony of the upper floor hall, where the stairway came up to. It looked down into the main hall, with the vast marble floor and exquisite sculptures. Before an old mirror Vitruvion stood, tugging at his shirt beneath his long coat. He twisted this way and that, ensuring his entrance to the Hollow would be grand indeed.

When the clack of Avis' claws began to be heard he turned around. He eyed her on the broad stairs, closely followed as she was by Brer. Without much of an expression he waited for her, taking up his cane which he had left to the side. He rolled back his shoulders. Avis felt a knot tighten in her stomach, feeling odd because of what they were about to do. As she came to slow by where Vitruvion was she shot a look into his eyes, and he responded by twisting around. He started out, walking whilst his cane tapped on the ground.

Avis breathed in, quickly as she was sandwiched between Brer and Vitruvion. Tugging her cloak around her, she breathed in slowly, wondering what it would be to see Blaze as she was now, with her new life and new 'freedoms'.

The grand doors opened, revealing the outside. A soft wind whistled, playing with the soft feathers at the nape of her neck. Leaves rattled together, whispering a line of good words towards a carriage - the carriage - sitting in the driveway with two horses tossing their heads.

A tall elf that Avis knew as one of the stewards of the mansion hurried forwards to open the carriage door. Avis paused as Vitruvion stepped directly forth, heading right for the interior. In that moment she honestly did not know where she stood. Was she still a captive enough to go within the confines of the carriage itself, to be kept there for security - or was she a proper member of Vitruvion's household, expected to ride upfront. She had seen many a noble lord with his servants at the head near the driver, or struggling to hold onto the back of the carriage. Was her position now a servant or was she still not trusted, that she needed to be watched steadily?

Stare
07-03-17, 11:33 AM
The question was quickly answered for her. "Stare. Inside."

She looked up to where Vitruvion was settling within it. So, she wasn't trusted. That or she was still considered liable to escape. Sucking in a breath and letting it out as a sigh, Avis walked over and clambered inside. She was surprised to hear the door close behind her, and not to see Brer climb in also but instead appear as a shadow making his way to the back.

With quite some surprise she looked to Vitruvion, settling into the seat opposite him. As she did the carriage rocked into motion. He saw the way she confusedly expressed herself and smiled with amusement. There was a moment of silence where his eyes drilled into her and she had the uncanny feeling he was reading her thoughts.

"It is that I do not trust you enough," he answered her question. "But in time, as a member of my household, you will be expected to sit out."

She kept his eyes on him for a while, not sure what to feel. Then she glanced away, letting out a slow grumbling breath. "Are you going to fucking blindfold me again on the way in?"

"The need to blindfold you has passed. At some point you will likely need to know the exact route in and out for your own."

She blinked, staring at him. When would it get to the point that she would be getting out on her own? He had just said he did not trust her enough to be outside of the carriage. When Vitruvion did not say anything else Avis leant back, clacking her beak together with agitation.

"Stop that, Stare. You know I dislike it. Your curse words are something that can be beneficial even, depending on the situation, but your beak issue," he frowned. "It irritates me."

"There are a lot of things that irritate you," she replied, her voice thick.

"Indeed," he said, not even needing to pretend to not be bothered by her comment. "And I require you to learn them and alter your behaviours thusly."

She picked at the hem of her cloak. "I am not magical."

He arched an eyebrow. "That is up for debate."

Suddenly it felt like her heart stopped beating. At least her breathing did as she held it in her chest, both deep black eyes widenening, then fixating. A myriad of emotions flashed through them - shock, confusion, stress, disbelief, then incredulity. Shock and confusion due to the fact she had never been magical, had never shown any hint of being magical as she was growing up. Stress, because she knew her eyes had some ability, and the thought of them actually being connected to magic make her begin to panic. Where was she supposed to start? Disbelief because, she could not have magic, for the Hollow disallowed it. Only Vitruvion and his sister Ventrua's magic was able to work for they were the source of the powerful spell that banned all other magic from operating within. Any magic of any type. Therefore it left Avis incredulous for there could not be a way that she could possibly have developed magic, especially within the Hollow.

Not to mention that magic was rare within kenku.

Vitruvion's eyes glinted. "You do not believe it, I see. And for the reasons you have deduced in your mind you would usually be correct. However, I have theories."

Avis sat forwards, genuinely concerned. What the hell was going on with her stare had never been answered and now she desperately wanted answers.

"What theories?"

Stare
07-03-17, 11:33 AM
The half-celestial crossed his legs. "Those are for mine to query until I find the correct one."

Immediately Avis was frowning, eyes dark and annoyance rising. "It is my body. My 'powers' or whatever you want to call them."

"Partially correct," he inclined his head. "Your abilities are yours, but your body is at least in part mine. And your abilities are mine to do with as I see fit."

She felt entirely irritated. "Vitruvion, I want to know what is going on here. Magic doesn't make sense, I'm a kenku for one, and then Hollow-"

He interrupted her, with a rapid response. "There are exceptions to the magic-cancelling spell I cast on the Hollow."

This was the second statement to catch her off guard. She stared, her beak opening in astonishment. "What?"

Vitruvion smiled. "As I said there are exceptions but they are extremely rare and have to follow a series of strict criteria, which I myself control. In this fashion, if you are able to do magic it makes you a very unique individual indeed."

"What strict criteria?" She asked, her eyes huge and her breathing going erratic. "What sort of unique-"

"Stare, have I not made it obvious that I will not reveal that right now? I have my suspicions and they are mine to keep until I determine which is correct. I do not want to raise hope, cause speculation." He looked directly at her, raising a hand to point a finger with challenge to her heart. "And this is to remain an entire secret between us. All that we speak of, all the developments your power is taking you, you will not tell anyone about it."

Avis narrowed her eyes but said nothing. It was not like she had many to tell anyway. The only people she would have considered were Brer and possibly Blaze - Vitruvion's currently longest surviving 'guest' in the Hollow.

"I mean it when I say it," he looked at her seriously. "You are not to tell anyone."

She huffed a breath, leaning back, but keeping her eye contact with him. One other thing about her power was that it never seemed to effect Vitruvion. It gave him more power over her and made him all the more mysterious.

"Stare, can I have some form of verbal confirmation please that you understand?"

Avis clacked her tongue loudly on the side of her mouth. But she granted him a small nod and a grunt. "I won't tell anyone, not that I have many to tell."

"Good, because if I find you have them there will be Hadia to pay."

"You say that about everything," she folded her arms.

"That is because I mean it," he raised a finger in the air, smiling. "I can bring fire and brimstone on you." He paused, reaching through the ring briefly to find an area of exposed flesh and nip at it lightly.

Avis jumped, a scowl in her eyes as she felt the pain. Her hands clutched at the throbbing area, though it was quickly dying away. "I do not need a demonstration," she snapped.

The half-celestial gave his angelic, godly smile. "Ah but sometimes it is good to have a reminder, my dear."

Stare
07-03-17, 11:34 AM
True to his word, Vitruvion did not blindfold her. Instead he led her from the carriage out to the front of a large stone building that Avis recognised as an older part of the city. It was also fairly devoid of any loud bustling crowds. The streets therefore were quiet, with only a few couples and gang members stalking the streets. The building itself was a broad-faced place, with small windows and lichen growing thick upon the stone. Age was clear in its work, for cracks were prevalent and dirt clung in tight bunches. A small but double door stood as the entrance, facing directly onto the street, wooden and reinforced with iron. Aside from that, however, this place looked as if it was the dingiest, grimiest pub.

Avis raised her brow, turning back around to look at Vitruvion. He chuckled a little at her expression, and strode forth to rap on the door with the top of his cane. Glancing around Avis began to consider that it would in fact be a good time to attempt a run, but her usual trepidations stopped her. No matter where she went, Vitruvion would easily find her. And besides, Brer was stepping heavily down from the back of the carriage, unbuckling the mattock as he did.

A creak and the door opened, revealing a short, skinny man who looked less like a guard and more like a secretary. He wore a pair of pinz-nez on the end of his long nose. With one look up at Vitruvion he nodded and stepped back, no words coming out of his mouth. Vitruvion stepped right in, not even pausing to gesture for Avis to follow him. Instead she used her own incentive, stuck between the door and a giant. She folded her arms and stalked into the dank building, her claws clacking on the ground. It took a moment for the man to realise that he had seen her before, but that time blindfolded and dressed in a mountain of rope and chains. She quirked the corner of her mouth up into a smile, and gave him a sly wink.

"Stare, stop showing off and hurry up."

She looked up and saw Vitruvion over the far side of the large, dingy and sparse entrance room. He stood beside a closed door, his eyebrows crushed and his expression frowning with impatience.

"Stare!"

Rolling her eyes she twisted around and headed after him, picking up her feet. "I'm coming," she grunted.

When she got to him, he stepped around her and nudged her forwards with his cane. She stumbled forwards slightly, catching herself with a step. This she turned into a movement, and soon she was walking ahead, Vitruvion close behind. Brer stepped in behind after that and they started their way down, Avis taking point. Vitruvion carefully guided her through the myriad of stairs, rooms and corridors, murmuring quietly vocally, and eventually only into her mind. It was when they were descending the final stair to the great mess hall of the guards that she paused.

The last time she had come here with sight was through the door at the opposite end of the room. That was a large, heavy and iron door, without windows. It had a massive padlock on the current side, bolted. That had been an addition after Avis' escape attempt had led her into this room, and then collapsed to the floor. Since then, though the security of the Hollow had simply got tighter hence the padlock now this side of the door.

As she descended a score of eyes turned to her. Avis paused, eyes growing large as she stopped on the steps, clawed hands around her. Silence fell, and bodies froze, going from casual conversation to 'what the hell' looks. Her beak parted slightly, as she felt the stab of anxiety run through her and she ducked her head. Out of the corner of her eye she saw hands inch towards weapons on hips and tables.

"For the sake of Hadia," Vitruvion's voice appeared above her. She turned her head and saw him, a couple of steps above her, disapproval in his eyes. But for once it wasn't for her. Instead he was focusing on ... The room. He sighed, coming further down and placing a hand on her shoulder. "All of you should know by now that Stare is a permanent part of my business household. She is no longer a guest here, but a respected member of my society. Any hands laid on her, either for sex or for other matters will be subject to me." He paused, and encouraged her forewards. She stumbled down the last few steps in an awkward manner, a growl in her throat. "Think of her as my servant, the same level as one of you, not as a guest here."

"Except you don't pay me," Avis muttered.

Vitruvion paused, hearing what she said. Others near the bottom of the stairs heard and they twisted up mouths into amused grins. The half-celestial pretended to think for a moment, and ended up nodding.

"That is true. I don't, do I. Well, then, you are more of my slave, then."

Stare
07-03-17, 11:38 AM
He threw a pleasant smile at her as he passed by. She scowled, taking a moment to glare at the men who were still grinning.

"It's not funny," she growled, and then stalked off after Vitruvion.

By the time they had passed through the throngs of bodies, stools, drink and tables, the majority of the men had gone back to their idle chatter. The door at the end of the hall also was open, a man having stood up and taken out a large key. Avis eyed it warily, wondering if this really was just an elaborate trap to bring her back into the Hollow. But then she considered, and she realised Vitruvion wouldn't have gone through the charade of an act. He would have simply dragged her here and told her flat out.

"Indeed I would," he said behind her ear.

Twisting her head around she caught him in an angry eye. "Why do you always end up in my head in the most irritating of circumstances?" She snapped quietly.

Her response was a chilling stab at the base of her spine. Not so harsh as she send her reeling, but enough pain and cold to cause her to inhale a gasp, and miss a step or two.

She partially collapsed into the wall. They were between the main gate and the next one in which Avis knew there was a small guard hall. Luckily the guard was on the other side, so her stagger went unknown but to Vitruvion and Brer, who lumbered behind.

"Fuck you," she grumbled back to him, as she attempted to alight herself. "You're-"

"A bastard, I know," Vitruvion wearily replied. "Really Stare, you must come up some other insults. Now cease this for now, I want to make it seem as if you respect me, at the very least. This is where I am obeyed, by Brer, by the guards and most especially by you. So unless you want to spend the evening a cripple then behave yourself."

She sucked in breath, then steeled herself to swing back onto her feet. A few steps of stumble, and then she was back to walking normally. Up to the next door.

The door was opened, revealing two guards in the hall. One raised an eyebrow at the sight of Avis, but that was all the reaction. Vitruvion nudged past her and as he did he spoke into her mind.

Remember. Behave.

She sighed, grumbling under her breath but followed him in silence. Clearly he wanted nothing more than to make a good impression, to make it seem he was in control of her in this, his empire under the earth.

So she said nothing as they continued the journey down through the catacombs. All the doors were locked behind them, securing their path. Avis' heart beat solidly as she descended into the hell she had just escaped.

Doors began to appear on either side. The start of Vitruvion's own world; his chambers. The man himself strode with confidence, turning abruptly half way down. He opened a door, and the memories of her past lives were suddenly shoved into her face. A room of tables, of stockades and ropes. A room of chairs to secure a victim in, of manacles, all arranged in a neat, though fearful way.

Avis' jaw tightened.

Vitruvion stopped suddenly, and tilted his head to her. She ceased to move also, on edge because of where they were. She felt a light bump against her and a grumbled, "Sorry," as Brer was caught off guard.

"Stare, you will stay here until I come back. Brer come with me."

He turned to walk off.

Immediately Avis was concerned. "You want me to stay here? By myself?" She was uneasy, tense due to the area.

Vitruvion looked back at her, amusement in his eyes. "Exactly what I said, Stare. I have business to attend to, and will return. Until then, stay here. Yes?"

He waited for her reply. Letting out a slow sigh she folded her arms. "Fine."

"It should be fine," he nodded. "In fact it should always be. This is how it works now, Stare. I should never need to lock a door behind you or bind you, so. Do as I say. Stay here."

With that he was striding the rest of the way, grabbing a door and walking through. Brer threw him a grin before he left.

Stare
07-03-17, 11:40 AM
The door shut. Silence fell. Avis let out a huge groan and folded her arms. Looking around the room she saw three doors, one going back to the corridor, one opposite it with a small window within, and perpendicular to these the door Vitruvion and Brer has disappeared through. A sudden feeling of déjÃ* vu came over her as she realised this was the exact set out of her old bedroom. Curiousity struck into her and she headed over to the windowed room, partly intrigued and partly disgusted. Holding her arms around her she narrowed her eyes, staring at the window, the view coming clearer with every step. She saw glimpses of red, stone, furniture - then a limo formed in her throat when she saw it. It was her old room. Now empty, void, and in dimness. But still the same one, with the bed, the tapestries and the swathes of material.

Trust Vitruvion to leave her here. For his own amusement.

Hating it, she turned swiftly around and stalked over to one of the plain tables, placed against a wall. Shifting the ropes and mancles on it to the side she moved onto the surface and tucked her legs under her. Leaning back she summoned up the will to be incredibly bored, realising then she should have brought her book. Yes, she could probably head into her old room and hunt around in search for one there that she had maybe left in a hurry, but then what was the point? Vitruvion had told her to stay in this room, so she would. Knowing what circumstances lay in wait for her if she disobeyed him. Especially here, where all he wanted to be was in power.

Cupping her hands on her lap she let her eyes wander up to the ceiling, to not look at the bonds and other items of the room. That was one thing she did not regret with her new life - that she did not have to have herself bound constantly. Though the cuff at her wrist was its own manacle in its own way, there was still the fact she could walk and roam and move as she liked. She was determined to never be bound, never again.

The sound of a handle being depressed. She first glanced to where Vitruvion had strode through, but that door was still. And her old bedroom - well, it was empty save for the ghosts of her memories. Instead the one from the corridor was slowly moving and the sounds of several pairs of feet could be heard behind it. Scuffling, shuffling, and -

The door swung open. And one individual that Avis had put her mind to never seeing again appeared. Blaze. Vitruvion's 'guest' for more than two years. Dressed in nothing but a thin shirt, with her hands in manacles before her. And behind her were four guards, two humans and two elves, all bearing quarterstaffs. Her retinue.

As soon as Blaze saw Avis she stopped, wild red hair seeming to dance with fury. Just like her maddened eyes. Avis looked back, on the edge of the table, poised and tense. No idea what to say.

Silence. Fury. Irritation.

Gently Blaze was encouraged forwards by one of her guards. He was a man called Bertran, if Avis remembered, one who had been assigned to her for her first few weeks. Then Brer had formally taken over.

Bertran stepped in, eyes directly at Avis.

"What are you doing here? And where is your master?"

Avis tore her eyes away from Blaze with unease to turn to the guard. She sucked in her breath before answering.

"If you mean Vitruvion he had gone through there," she pointed with a clawed hand at where he had disappeared. "And I am in this precise room because this is where he told me to stay. If that is a problem, bring it up with him and not me." She lowered her hand to grip the edge of the table again.

Bertran paused. He looked a little confused but nodded. "Right. I see. We were told to bring ..." He gestured lamely at Blaze. Avis finished the sentence in her head. 'Told to bring Blaze here.' To the same room. Clearly this had been deliberate.

"Fucking bastard," Avis muttered underneath her breath, as she still saw Blaze staring at her, incredulous. The kenku paused, then went on. "He has some form of business. If you want him, go find him."

Bertran paused for a moment, then turned back to his comrades. He exchanged a few looks and a few short mumbled words that Avis could hardly here. Very gently they turned to Blaze, and led her over to the wall. Avis dared to watch as the fiery-haired beauty was sat down in a chair, then her ankles, torso and arms bound to it. Her wrists remained in the manacles, and her eyes remained on Avis, seething with anger. She hardly fought but kept herself tall with pride, taking the treatment as if she bared it every day.

Which perhaps she did.

Once done the guards stepped back. Bertran looked over to Avis, squinting his eyes slightly, studying her clothes and unbound form. She gave him a blank look as if to say, 'I dare you to even try.' in response he gave a small smile and turned, heading through the door Avis had indicated. The rest of the guards headed out the way they had come, presumably to take up stance there.

Stare
07-03-17, 11:40 AM
Silence. Avis' gaze fluttered between the doors, still bored, but now tense. She swung her legs over the edge of the table.

"We thought you were dead."

The kenku paused, and let out a small sigh before she looked over to Blaze. "What?"

"We - Reign and I thought you must have died," she was speaking in rough, harsh and jealous tones.

Avis shrugged, "I didn't. I just moved."

"Where on Althanas have you been?"

Avis paused for a moment, "Living in Vitruvion's mansion. In the city." She looked away from her and at the ground her feet swung above. "Only there."

Blaze's eyes seemed to glow with fire as she watched the kenku look away. She shook her head with disgust. "What did you promise him for all of this? Are you pregnant or something?"

With that suggestion, Avis looked back up to her, alarmed. "Pregnant? Of course not! My race cannot reproduce with another for a start. And you know he has ways of preventing anything like that!"

It was a truth not very commonly discussed. Every 'host' or 'brother' in the Hollow had a responsibility to ensure no reproduction was taking place in the Hollow.

Blaze continued to stare. "Well you might have been. You might have persuaded him with whatever wiles you use."

"I did nothing of the kind," Avis spat back. "You know exactly why he took me away from here. I told you everything that he told me. And then you got carried away in your jealousy and-" she looked away again. "The only thing that has changed, Blaze is that I am not here anymore. He uses me for a different purpose. He still controls my fucking life."

"I doubt that very much," Blaze responded with a bitter laugh. "You are clothed! And not even bound in any way!"

The kenku looked over to her, studying the ropes that held her there. Blaze seemed to take the situation with a calm relaxation, not seeming in discomfort in any way. Avis blinked slowly, her chest rising up and down and in that moment she considered telling Blaze everything. About what Vitruvion considered about her power. That she might be magical beyond the norms. That at her wrist was a device through which Vitruvion could see her, hear her, speak to her ...

"What?" Blaze testily said, "Why are you looking at me like that?"

With a slow intake of breath Avis sat up taller, her shoulders rolling back. "I'm not looking at you like anything. Trust me, you would know if I was."

There was a silence then as Blaze's brow creased. A curiosity came into her eyes. "You were in here, with the door unlocked. Does Vitruvion trust you now?"

A short, bitter sounding laugh. "Not quite," Avis said quietly, the conversation now more gentle in tone. She looked back down at her feet. "He's very likely never going to."

Silence came between them. Blaze pursed her lips and looked away, seeming to think other things. The anger in her eyes was beginning to die away.

"So," she said softly, after a long pause. "What do you do for him now?"

"Nothing much at the moment," Avis replied, black eyes also dimming from the agitation she had felt. "Just not sex." Though that was partly a lie. It had just been that night that he had taken her, her consent entirely there.

"Then what has he got you out there for?" She said, eyes large, gesturing to the ceiling with her head, to 'up there', to the surface.

"It's better to ask him," Avis said, a sigh on her beak edge. "Because sometimes I have no idea."

Blaze frowned slightly, but she took the statement as an answer. "Then what is it like? To be up there, free to do as you want?"

"When did I say I was allowed to do as I want?" Avis murmured in reply.

Just as the door opened. Just as he stepped in, Brer and one man Avis had not seen in a long time. Raevin. Vitruvion's captain of the guard in this horried hell-hole.

Stare
07-03-17, 11:42 AM
Their eyes met, the elf meeting the kenku and a thread of mutual surprise flittered through. The captain arched his brows, lips forming a small circle as he took in the sight of the woman he had guarded so many times and only just heard rumours of the new state of.

Vitruvion stopped short, his eyes flickering from Blaze to Avis. It was then Avis realised he had probably deliberately done this, made them end up in the same room. His two prize girls. His two prize possessions, one's fate changed, the other still the same.

A small look if amusement came to his face, affirming Avis' suspicions. She rolled her eyes slightly as she began to hop down from the table. At that moment Vitruvion began to speak.

"Stare," he said. Her eyes swept up to meet his, a look of annoyance in her eyes that said 'why did you arrange for us to be in the same room?' And the thought permeated her mind.

His lips smirked. "Because I am able to," he openly replied.

A series of confused looks ran through the other faces - Raevin, Bertran who was behind him, Blaze. Only Brer seemed to understand and he grunted a little with laughter at the looks on his co-workers. Vitruvion's eyes wandered around, settling partly on Blaze who looked astounded, lips parting as she stared once more at Avis. Seconds ticked by, and Vitruvion took the time to start meandering over to Blaze, his eyes however constantly watching the reactions of everyone in the room. When Brer let out a second, louder rough chortle eyes grew wider still. Avis could not help but let out a small strangle of a sigh, making it clear in her mind that she just wanted to be out of the room away from Blaze.

"Go then," he gestured to the door leading to the corridor. "Raevin will show you the way. I want as much information as you can gain without breaking ... Doing as we discussed earlier." Breaking the law, he said into her mind. She simply blinked. He continued. "I will inform you when you have gained enough. After that let her rest for an hour, and then you will escort her back to her city house. You may inform her of such when you have finished your questions." He paused, now ignoring all the highly confused looks around, especially from Blaze, who was bordering on incredulous. "Then go back to the mansion. Yes?"

Her jaw tightened. She sighed again into her beak.

He arched an eyebrow, bore daggers into her with his eyes. Pain, they said, do you really want the others to see?

"Yeah," she said, looking away from him. "Yes."

He nodded once, then waved a hand like he was dismissing a servant. She wasn't much different. Eager to be away from him Avis turned with a deep scowl. Folding her arms across her chest she sought out Raevin's eyes. He smiled slightly and twisted slowly towards the door, indicating that he was ready to go. Avis rolled her eyes and started on herself, walking swiftly to the door, where she grabbed the handle and pulled.

A startled look appeared to her from the other side, by the two of Blaze's guards who stood there. Avis glared at them before pushing past. Coming in her wake Raevin apologised in a low voice, hurrying after her as she began to stalk down the corridor, swinging her eyes left to right.

Stare
07-03-17, 11:43 AM
"Eh, other way."

She stopped and turned in a full circle to look at him. With his arms folded the elf had his head tilted. He used it to gesture back the way she had come.

"We're going this way? Remember he said you can leave after you've met the duchess."

Avis let out a heavy sigh, realising she had been heading upwards towards the exit. "I don't see why he didn't just have her kept at the mansion," she spoke with a bitter tone.

"Because he desired for her to see just what he could do, even if he wasn't going to do anything on her," Raevin shrugged, watching her as she stalked back to him.

She clacked lightly on the inside of her beak. Well, at least it made sense.

"Fine," she muttered, coming to his side.

When they were close Raevin moved to walk with her. Avis noticed that Brer was not there - presumably the giant of a man was assisting Vitruvion. Perhaps, because of the high number of those truly loyal to him here, Vitruvion realised he did not need to have her followed by him. Or perhaps, Raevin was filling in Brer's position.

After a moment of silence the elf began to speak again. "Hello by the way."

Avis eyed him, "What?"

"I said, 'hello.' We have not seen one another since you left."

For a while she blinked, then she shrugged. "I guess not. I haven't really thought of you though."

"It is not everyday that your employer's concubines become his secretary."

She snorted. "Is that what he is calling me?"

Raevin smiled, amused. "It fits, in a way, does it not? It is blasé enough for people to not question."

"It doesn't have the same ring as 'pet project'."

The elf laughed. "Not quite I suppose."

He was speaking to her in a very different tone. Rather than the darker, more cruel humour than he had before Raevin had a lightness in his voice, a friendliness. It could only be that he saw her differently now. Exactly as Vitruvion wanted it. 'The same level as one of you,' she had said to the men of the mess hall.

Slowly, she breathed a sigh and looked at Raevin. "So, we almost there?"

He nodded and went a few more places until they came to a white-washed wooden door. It was as plain as the others, but had a certain cleanliness to it, as if this led to better chambers than most. Raevin depressed the handle and stepped inside. Avis kept her eyes dancing around, and saw within a sub-chamber of sorts. A gorgeous suite of chairs were tucked into a corner, and an ornate enormous rug covered the majority of the stone floor. The walls were filled with paintings of landscapes and fine portraits, all with only one occupant. A large burly guard, well dressed, sat on one of the chairs reading a small learher-bound book. The wall his chair was closest too had a door set into it. A door with no less than three bolts drawn across it.

Where the duchess was kept.

As Raevin stepped into the room after Avis the guard began to stand, presumably to attention as he raised a hand. Raevin smiled and waved a hand.

"Xabe, this is Stare. I am sure you have heard of her."

The burly man, who Avis now saw was an elf typically of Raiaera due to his small pointed ears, rolled his eyes over to the kenku. She blinked back at him.

"Apparently I'm a secretary," she answered, reaching up to undo the clasp that held her cloak.

The burly man raised his monobrow and Raevin laughed. "Apparently so. Xabe, how is the duchess?"

A grunt. Watching as Avis carefully draped her cloak across a chair. She felt she needed freedom of movement to be able to do this properly.

"She's as irrita'ing and eager teh be ou' of 'ere as she'll ever be. Guessin' the master sending 'er 'ere ...?" The thick accent man tossed his head towards Avis.

"To get what we have not been able to so far from her, yes," Raevin nodded. "Vitruvion said you would know when enough information is gained."

She shrugged. "He'll let me know."

Blinks came from most elves but she ignored them. Instead she tried to think 'pig' and readied herself to find all the anger, fear and frustration she had. Beside her Raevin shifted.

"You can get her to talk?"

"I got her father to pay, did I not?" She asked, eyeing him with a hint of amusement in her voice.

Raevin shrugged a little but nodded. He gestured invitingly with a hand towards the door. With a small glint in her eye Avis turned and watched as Xabe unlocked the door. The three bolts, then a tiny key later and it opened, revealing the ornate room. And the ornate beauty that lay beyond.

Stare
07-03-17, 11:46 AM
Like her father the Duchess né Heysan was something to be intrigued by. Her long, flowing, fair and wavy hair was clasped back with a number of large pins in some fantastical fashion of the day. Over her thin but endowed form she wore an elegant dress, in deep rose and purple, reaching to the ground and to her wrists. Quite rigidly she sat, straight backed, on a dining chair set to the side of this gloriously decorated room, which echoed the ante-chamber outside. A large four poster bed. A table. A vanity desk. Shelves, filled with the latest beauty trends. And to the side, by the wall was a young girl, her arms folded and her attitude resolute. Avis then realised that she recognised her, as one of the ordinary staff of the Hollow.

As she stepped in, the click of her claws dulled by the rugs, Avis saw the duchess stiffen. Abruptly she turned dark eyes onto the kenku. Her lips formed a thin line, pride in every fibre of her being. Clearly she hated being in here.

"I think you can go," Avis said gently after a moment of silence looking to the girl. When the girl opened her mouth to talk, Avis said, "If it bothers you that much tell Vitruvion I need you gone for me to work better."

The girl paused a moment, then shrugged and kicked off the wall. Though she was clearly here to serve as a lady's maid her attitude failed. She strode past Avis with a mild bored expression. Avis paused, then looked behind her to see Raevin standing there in the room's doorway.

"Are you staying or going? What did he say to you?"

"I cannot pretend I'm not intrigued," the captain smirked.

"Excuse me!" A high, royal voice proclaimed. Only one person. Avis looked back to the duchess with a slow, deliberate blink. When a moment of quiet had passed again, the duchess continued. "Good. You are finally talking to me. Now, you will tell me who you are, and just what exactly you intend to do. I would have you know your master has threatened me exceedingly colourfully thus far."

Eyeing the very fine woman for a moment, Avis paused, then moved to go take a seat opposite her. She deliberately moved the chair so it faced hers, and remained at a considerable respectful distance from hers. As she sat she heard the door click closed and footsteps move close by - a sign Raevin was remaining inside. A faint sound told them that they were being secured inside.

"My name is Avis. Well," Avis grunted. "My 'master,' as you call him, and everyone here calls me Stare. I have been sent here by the bas-" she paused, knowing that Vitruvion was likely listening and remembering what he had said before about the appearance of respect. "By him in order to help you give us what we need. Once you have given us the information then I am to escort you back to your castle."

She finished with a small smile at the corner of her beak - the only place a smile would appear on a kenku.

The duchess just stared. "Your master is known by me outside of these walls. He is a nobleman, and thus will be subject to the court. If you intend to lay a physical hand on me in order to gain what information I might-"

Avis shook her head. "I'm not going to even touch you, your grace," she said calmly, deigning this precious princess the use of the honorific. Just this once. Maybe more. "I'm going to first of all let you just tell me without any further words."

The elf blinked, and narrowed her eyes. "I have been here trapped for eleven days now. I have not as yet told your master anything. And if he things some - some tengu will gather more from me-"

"'Kenku,'" Avis interjected.

"What?"

"The term is kenku not ... Ten-ten- whatever."

The duchess frowned. "Your species is tengu, surely? As scribed by Karas the Wise during the uprising of the Forgotten Ones?"

Avis shook her head. "No. It's 'kenku'. And we're not even from here. Originally we come from across the vast sea." She clacked her tongue as the duchess' frown grew. "That does not matter, we should talk about information. I am asking you - imploring you - to give it to me of you own, free will."

The duchess blinked, her eyes growing wide with alarm. "You mean to force it from me? I tell you, your master has tried to ply at my mind, but I am an elf from the line of Heysan. Our minds are strong, they do not falter easily."

Avis sighed slowly, shaking her head, really very reluctant to do what Vitruvion had brought her here for. "No, it doesn't work like that. It's something different. Something I don't even understand," she paused and looked at the duchess solidly. "Please. Let me know what else you father is planning, how the guards knew we were in the carriage that day, what else he has been keeping from ... Sir Elssmith." He opted for Vitruvion's lordly title, knowing that it sounded better than simply 'Vitruvion' and was a good compromise from 'master'.

Light skinned fists formed from the Duchess' hands. "If I could use my power," she hissed, "My magic, I would tear this place apart. You and your people would be reduced to ashes, my husband and I would storm this place, throwing you all off guard and ..."

Avis ignored the rest, knowing that it meant her suggestion was being denied. Absolutely. Running a hand through the feathers at her crown she groaned under her breath and turned around slightly. She caught Raevin's gaze.

"You sure you want to stay for this?" She said quietly. In the background the duchess' rant grew madder.

The captain raised a single shoulder in a hapless shrug. "Call it curiousity," he smiled at her.

Avis rolled her eyes a bit but nodded. Then she blinked a fair few times, taking in a breath. Her hands formed light balls on her lap as she let the duchess' words fade to the background, and let her own emotions begin to ebb forwards. From what she had learnt with the pigs she knew several things. Several emotions she could latch onto.

Hatred, for the capture. For the stun. Fear for the nightmares. Rage for the unbelievable realisation of inevitability. That you are going to die. That we are all going to die. That your lover will, one day, die.

Slowly she let these feelings, and the memories tied to them, come to the forefront of her mind. Taking a deep breath she paused, then raised up her eyes, capturing the duchess in them. In her stare.

And at once the woman fell silent.

Stare
07-03-17, 11:47 AM
All eyes on her. Something she was quickly needing to get used to.

Avis felt exhausted and awkward, not two feelings that went well together. But after her feat with the duchess her entire body felt drained of energy. After she had given the duchess her thanks, and said in a hollow, guttral voice that she would be back for her in an hour, Avis had stood. And slammed on the door. Raevin had quickly followed. Indeed as she had begun to stumble haphazardly from the rooms and into the corridor he had taken a hold of her arm. She had tensed at the contact but his quiet voice had said, "You look awful and need to rest. Come with me."

Without anywhere else to go, and a knowing that Raevin wouldn't take her anywhere she would be hurt - for fear of Vitruvion's wrath - Avis had followed. And ended up in Vitruvion's guards' personal hang out. Or 'The Hall' as they called it. A stone, dry room down the far end of Vitruvion's territory, with a barrel of ale and chairs aplenty.

Now she was in such a chair, a large mug of ale in her hands, feeling as if the world had turned mad.

All eyes on her. Staring at the girl they used to guard, chain and lock away. Sitting there with them, as one of them.

"Will you all bloody stop staring," she growled, not for the first time. "Pretty sure you've all seen me before."

"Yeah but not clothed," one man commented.

That sent a howl of laughter through the five or so of them in the room, besides Raevin.

"Yeah something you'll never get to see again, so shut your arse mouth," she replied, downing a large gulp more of the alcohol.

"Is that so?" One dared to ask.

A short silence as Raevin looked up. And Avis felt rage rising in her, despite the fact she was tired of feeling those negitive feelings. Forcing them on the duchess. The shivering, whispering duchess who had been left begging. Begging for her to stop. Begging for her to go and let the nightmares go. Spilling everything she had about her father. How he had tracked the carriage by sending spies throughout Beinost. How he had a vast network of such people. About where they were based, how they worked, how they were essential to his operation ...

"That is so," Raevin said, power in his voice. "Sir Vitruvion has chosen to take Stare on as one of his staff. She's not a guest here anymore. She's one of us."

"When have we ever had a female guard?" Another man asked. "When has any other female, apart from the kitchen wenches, apart from the Lady Ventrua, ever wandered these halls free?"

"Never as far as I am concerned," Raevin shrugged. "But our employer has decided that it is to be, and so it is. Maybe if Spice had not died we'd be in the same situation, who knows."

"Nobody else has," Avis cleared matters after draining her mug. She motioned for Raevin, who sat right beside the barrel, to refill it for her. He obliged.

"As to being free, I'm not even paid by the bastard. So you've got that up on me." She stared up at the man who had asked the question with dark eyes. "You and I both are going to have to deal with it that I am here." She snapped her beak sharp at him.

The man fell silent, looking at her with exceptionally raised eyebrows. From the corner of her eye Avis could see Raevin looking amused, but also intrigued. Ever since she had conducted the interview with the duchess, and Vitruvion had finally spoken into her mind, That is enough, she had caught him watching her with a mildly fearful, but in awe look. Like somehow, simply watching what she could do had made him suddenly realise why Vitruvion had such an obsession with her. Like he now had respect for her.

His words in this place seems to back that theory up.

"Do you know if you'll be down here often?" He asked her.

She paused, feeling a strike of discomfort at the idea. "I certainly hope not," she said in a low voice, the bitterness clear. "It doesn't exactly strike find memories."

Raevin nodded a little. "A very fair and reasonable reaction. But will you be able to avoid it if he does ask you here?"

A quick intake of breath. Twisting around to him, Avis fixed him with a steely stare. The elf reacted rather oddly: he stiffened suddenly as her eyes lay upon him, and his spare hand flashed to his side, where she knew his blade was hidden under his coat.

Around them the room had returned to a low hub-bub of normal voices, though there was certainly an air was awkwardness remaining. Despite this, the other men seemed to go back to their conversations, and were chatting idly away, leaving the elf and kenku to their own talks. For some while Raevin watched Avis with uncertainty - the first time she had ever seen such a thing in the usually so calm and proud man. It made her feel strange. Like a twinge of honest guilt had planted itself into her heart and was pulling, harsh.

"I'm not going to do anything to you," she said in a quiet voice, finally looking away. "I don't think Vitruvion would forgive me if I did."

Stare
07-03-17, 11:48 AM
Raevin still looked concerned. "You can do that here, however," he murmured. "That power ... It rivals even his."

Thinking of the cuff at her wrist, Avis shook her head, staring into the brown sloshy liquid before her. "No it doesn't. And I don't want to be compared to him."

"But is it magic?"

She hissed sharply. "I don't know and I don't want to talk about it."

He looked at her with a little bit of irritation then, pursing his lips. She saw a hint of the proud man she had known before her ... Promotion in it.

"Okay then. We will not talk about it." He inclined his head.

Carefully she drank more of her beer, taking the moment to allow a pause.

"Are you feeling better?"

She sighed, "Yes. I'm fine. I just can feel disoriented after a strong ... Session."

"Who else have you interviewed in that way?"

"Ten pigs, five sheep and six rabbits," she grunted.

Raevin smirked. "I see."

"Interviewing is a good term though," she replied. "I will use that in future if you do not mind."

"Mayhap I do," he shrugged. "But I will lend it to you."

"In exchange for what?" She allowed herself another chug.

He raised both brows in quiet contemplation, musing. Then his mouth twisted up in a smirk. "I'm sure I'll think of something."

Avis rolled her eyes. "Well you can't get sex from me. Not now."

"Yes," Raevin suddenly whispered. "Because you're still having sex with him."

Suddenly everything seemed to grow cold. Swivelling around she fixed him with a bright, uncertain stare, her beak parted as one might part lips in shock. Breath caught in her chest she gazed at him for a long while, unsure and unsteady as to how on earth he knew ...

A soft smile played on his lips as he turned his eyes from her, turning to scan the rest of the room, his voice dropping to barely more than a whisper.

"I'm the captain of his guard and generally second in command here. He tells me a hell of a lot. I even know how he controls you now."

Her right hand shot instinctively out, letting go of her mug of ale, and wrapped itself tight across her left wrist. Where she had tied the scraps of leather to hide the metal from view. Eyes growing mad with fury and with agitation she felt her heart begin to rapidly beat.

Suddenly Raevin's hand moved, grabbing the top of her right hand and pulling it, along with the left, beneath the table. Avis uncomfortably tore it out of his hold, but kept it there - the sign of her agitation away from these people she now was beginning to see as equals. Except ... Except they were not.

Stare
07-03-17, 11:49 AM
"Please stop looking at me like that, Stare," he murmured, eyes turning back to hers. "I'm not going to do anything. I'm not even going to tell anyone, he doesn't want that."

At least her instinct not to tell anyone about it had been correct. But it still did not make her fury dissapate. Finally, also because he had asked, and kindly, she looked away, right at her ale.

"What I'm saying is you are worth more to him now than any girl here," Raevin looked down at his own ale, moving his hands well away from her to clasp them on his lap. "You're worth more, I suspect, than many of the men here, the lives, and from what I saw here today, maybe even his sister and I." A soft tongue ran across his lips, moistening them. "Bound by oath to him as I am, so long as I am able to do so, I will ensure that you are treated with the utmost respect."

Her jaw clenched, but his words made her passionate heart flutter a little. Just a little.

"You need never fear anyone here again. If they lay a hand on you, touch you, say anything inappropriate about you, you are protected. By me, by Sir Vitruvion. By Brer, who I suspect is as much there for your protection as he is for security."

If not for her feathers, one could have seen the colour drain from Avis' face. She suddenly felt small, very small, like what she had felt that first night when Vitruvion had placed the cuff on her. With the metal laces appearing from nowhere and lashing her destiny to his will. With that vulnerable feeling she took her right hand slowly off her left wrist and rubbed at her eyes, a small sigh forming.

"Do you want me to say thank you, then or ...?" She asked in an honest, still quiet voice. There was no sarcasm there.

"You don't need to," Raevin took a swig of his ale. "But rather be safe in the knowledge that despite your situation, you are no longer, in any way, in danger of being placed in the down deeps of the Hollow."

The down deeps, the lowest depths of the old catacombs. Where the 'guests' of the Hollow who no longer pleased their hosts were sent, into the mercy of the guards, where there was no limit to what they were allowed to do. In her time that she had been liberated from that world, Avis had learnt that few women down there survived six months.

"I know that," she murmured into her mug. "It's been one comfort at least."

"And you'll have my company for the foreseeable future," the captain smiled.

"Great. How do I get out of this again?"

Raevin let out a warm laugh. He paused for a while. "It's been about an hour, you should see to taking the duchess back to her castle."

With a groan Avis remembered. And she sank slightly. "Princess stupid fancy pants," she muttered before downing her drink. She stood, and recieved eyes on her again. Without a glance to Raevin she looked around the room briefly. "Well gentlemen," she drawled to them all, "It was lovely knowing you."

And with that she strode from the room, her mood sour, her tiredness gone, but now replaced with tipsiness.

Stare
07-03-17, 11:51 AM
Luckily Avis managed to keep her nerve when she returned to the duchess. The woman had managed to gather herself enough to place on a fresh, more road-worthy dress, and collect the few things together. It seemed she had been provided with all the clothes and beautification tools.

When Avis arrived the duchess silently understood. She rose, taking her small pack and followed the kenku out without so much as a word. Avis waited in the ante-chamber long enough with the intention clear in her mind for Vitruvion to acknowledge it.

Raevin will come with you. He knows where her castle lies. She is a duchess, so do not ride within. Drop her off, then head back to the mansion. A pause. Just remain in the grounds. You may wander the house and gardens, but do not go into town, or beyond the hedge.

Keeping her on her leash as usual. A long one at that, much better than the confines of her room. It was doubtful, however, how long she would be required to stay there.

Raevin opened the door to the corridor, looking unamused. His eyes flashed up to the duchess, who was all quiet and little movement.

"You should have waited for me," he said with a note of spite.

"I didn't know you were coming until now," she replied, and turned to look at the duchess. "If you please, your grace," she gestured to the door, finally granting the woman an honorific. After all she had forced her to go through, it was the least she could do.

It took a moment for the duchess to reply, but after that time had passed she raised her chin. The training she had learnt from childhood, and the pride inset within her by her marriage awoke: that internal, instinctual state of any noble.

Her hands clasped before her the duchess started out, and Raevin twisted to be at her side. Smiling with a vague, but respectful expression, he used a hand to show her the way, a bow in his waist. Then, with grace and poise he escorted the lady of high rank onwards, back up to the surface, with Avis bringing up the rear.

The carriage was ready, and waiting. Raevin opened the door for her, bowing once more. With eyes to Avis he nodded, slowly closing the door. They then flittered behind her, where the appearance of several guards stood at the building's doorway, a curiosity within them. Avis turned, seeing those who had followed them up, made room for them, intrigued not just by the duchess' exit but also that of the kenku they could no longer hope to touch. With a small sigh she moved, not giving Raevin a single look. She took herself to the back, where a small perch rested. Considering that if Brer could balance there, then she definitely could, and thus without even a hint she made her seat. Raevin strode to the front, where he greeted the driver of constant few words. Between them they held the duchess, between them they escorted her.

As the carriage was thrown forwards in the first lurch, Avis had to hold on. Her seat was simply made of a bench with little to no back and a hand hold. Thus, she had to rely on the latter to stay upright. Gripping it tight so the claws of her hand dug into the heel, she suffered and survived in silence, watching the world of Beinost wander by. As they moved from this horror of a backwater into a void of the city, and from there into then into one of the two major metropolises.

Stare
07-26-17, 10:44 AM
Life sprung from nowhere, like a spring in a dry desert. One moment there was dusty streets, the rest there was a lovely attitude. Lovers and friends walked down the streets, mostly high elves but many others too. Some hand in hand, others in groups, laughing and sighing and not saying anything. Houses became wide shops and town centres. One moment there was a university. The white marble that was part of the centre became more commonplace. The road itself was fairly easy to pass through, for it was simply a space for other carriages. And most folk strode. As they twisted down a straight main street, colour burst into life. And with that smells. And with that sights. And with that ...

Him. Skra. The baker, standing behind his stall hoisting a loaf in the air and offering it to a patron. He had a bright smile on his tough dwarf face, one made just for the customers. Still then he was here, the man who had taken Avis in. Who had been so kind to her, fed her, given her a job.

She gripped the rung of the seat tight, peering desperately past the block that Raevin's head in front made. Then there was a flag in the way, bunting, a monument and -

Then he saw her. Their eyes met across the crowded marketplace, two people who had been close friends and like father and daughter. Blessed opportunitied had given them both life, though Skra might never had mentioned it. Not though he looked mournful, a man without chance, gazing at her with shock and wonder and -

"Avis?" He mouthed.

Then the carriage spun around the corner. And her past was rapidly gone. But she was staring in the distance, desperately, wanting to let go of the carriage right there and go back to where she had come from. To be that baker's assistant once more.

Her hand began to leave the handle, leg slipping from the root of the seat.

Stop. Right there. Don't.

Her breath caught in her chest as she froze in place. And behind her the market was getting further and further away asrhe horses trotted - no, cantered - to a castle in the city. It would be defying death to risk jumping off now.

Stare.

No pain. Simply a name. Her name. At least one of her names.

Slowly her hand curled back around the balance, pulling her end back onto the seat. Skra was a good man, but he was another time, another life. He would probably despair at the kenku Avis was now. So bleak and full of hate and no hope. Never hope.

Her head hung, eyes boring a hole into the ground that kept rapidly moving beneath her and the carriage. She felt the minute bounces of the structure as it skipped over rocks and ditches, swinging on gentle springs. Skra was moving further behind her, as was an idea of what had been.

Stare
07-26-17, 10:45 AM
They lurched to a halt, breaking her stupor. Looking up suddenly, knowing they had stopped, Avis caught sight of where they were. A giant tower, spilling into the sky. A hedge surrounding it and more stone building. A massive iron gate set into the hedge, but barred from outsiders. A short stocky man ambling his way over, a limp in his step and a foul look on his face. As he lurched with each odd step he jangled. And he was ready to shout at them from the other side of the gate.

"Eh, Stare?"

Rapidly, she blinked and glanced over to see Raevin across from her from his perch beside the driver, pointing at the floor. She paused, blinking. He was wanting her to open the duchess' door.

"Why the fuck-" she began to say.

"Hoi there!" The stocky man began to say, his voice full of venom. "You can't park-"

Sighing, Avis moved. She leapt straight from perch to ground, allowing her hard feet to take the impact. It worked, and she nodded a little to herself. Ignoring the man as he continued a rant about how she could not park there, "you bird idiot," see grabbed the carriage door and yanked it open.

"Your grace," she stared at the woman within. "You are home."

A gasp went up both from the stocky man and the duchess. His was much longer and less controlled. Grabbing a jangling key from his belt, he began to work on the gate lock.

The gasp from in the carriage lasted much less. Carefully the duchess ended hers with a hand to her mouth. Her eyes looked around, then set to focus on the city castle behind the gate. A breath rushed from her and a look of peace finally settled over her face.

"Thank you," she whispered as she began to move, hand quickly grabbing her bag of few belongings. "Thank you."

Then she was coming out of the carriage, trying to hide her eagerness to simply be away. Avis tried to offer a hand to the clearly shaky woman but it was refused.

"I would perhaps review the texts of Karas the Wise," she said in a low tone to Avis, speaking of the only famous kenku in history. The master writer who was responsible for a lot of their history and theory. Whom was near worhsipped as a saint by some of the scribes. "Though I am sure you know your people, there is definitely mention of the tengu. Read his treatise on Keribas."

Avis slowly blinked, but kept away from the desire to stare at her. She thought that the duchess, considering what she had already been through, would not appreciate it.

"And you are kinder than your master. Hold onto that, kenku," she murmured as she raised her chin and smiled dimly at the stocky man.

"Your ... My grace?"

"Take me home, Greyson," she said in a quiet voice to him. Rather quickly the gate swung open enough to let her through.

The duchess smiled more, and without another look at the people behind her, she strode right in in. Leaving Avis bewildered and confused as to her comments. Tengu. What did it mean? What else could Karas have written of importance aside from the basic Karas Theory that all kenku children learnt? Apparently his treatise on Keribas. That lonely, strange and bizarre continent, over the far sea. Where the island city state of Hernsford lay in wait, and a thousand other places to be explored. What could be wrong with kenku traditional stories, apart from some of their vagueness?

Stare
07-26-17, 10:45 AM
Tearing her eyes away from the duchess, and the now closed gate, Avis left the woman to cause a joyous turmoil in her world. Closing the door and climbing up to the back, with lithe movements, she managed to ascend in less than a second. Then she nodded, not caring if Raevin saw, for she certainly wasn't interested in speaking. Instead her mind was elsewhere, dreaming of what Karas had written that was deemed unimportant to basic kenku learning. What he had said on them and Keribas. Was that their ancient homeland then? Was that where they had come from, the land that the Kami, their guiding god spirits, had brought them from in order to escape the darkness - otherwise known as the Kage, or shadow?

The carriage lurched back into movement, speeding away from the duchess and that part of life. Taking a bemused kenku with it. She closed her eyes, lensing her head against the railing, thinking of what the duchess had said and how Skra had seen her. One simply journey and so many things. A day in the Hollow as a new person and life had changed. She swallowed hard, and waited for the mansion, Vitruvion's city mansion and Avis' home, come into view. Immediately when it did, Avis threw herself off and began the trudge up the stairs and too the huge wooden doors.

They were opened by the out of breath butler Mesis. He blinked in surprise. "Miss Stare?"

"I'll be in my room," she said quietly. "If anyone asks ... I am there."

The butler paused, glancing outside. He saw Raevin and opened the door further, but Raevin shook his head, settling down as the carriage moved ... Again.

"I see," Mesis closed the door and hurried after Avis, who was tiredly and confusedly climbing the stairs. "And will you be taking dinner my lady?"

"I'm not my lady," Avis told him, not for the first ever time. "Just Avis. I mean Stare. Don't call me that, he'll hate it."

"Yes, Miss Stare, I know. But would you take dinner?"

She sighed, taking each step slow, him frantically trying to follow at a slow pace. "I'm tired. I'll be fine. Maybe a few sandwiches but that is it."

He smiled and nodded. "Of course my la- miss. I will let you rest."

"I'd appreciate that," Avis said exhaustedly.

She reached the top of the stairs and began the trek along the hallway, with the balcony side, to her room. It took time, but she got there. And from there it was just to get to the door. And from the door to the rug. And from the rug ...

Fall, fall, and crash into the bed. Inviting sleep. To take away all that had been. At least for now.

Stare
07-26-17, 10:46 AM
The next day was a day of research.

With the freedom of movement around the house - not that she was certain Vitruvion was watching at all - the next day Avis headed for the library. Her mind filled with questions for what the duchess had said. She had been adamant about the word 'tengu' and the fact that Karas the Wise, also known as Karas the Scribe, had written a treatise on the origins of the word. All that Avis knew about Karas, was that he had spoken vaguely of his people's origin in running away from the Kage, the Shadow, but that he focused on the history ever since they had landed on the shores of Corone. The way the feudal system had developed, with the teirs of the society had come about.

Vitruvion, luckily, was a man of academic interests and thus had a vast collection of books that he had bribed for, bought and stolen over his one hundred years of life. He had everything from the adventures of Nightshade and Farsee, to a detailed account of the Aleraran and Raiaeran wars. Avis found a strong theoretical section on the idea that there was more than one strong source of magic other than the Tap (now apparently a theory proved to be correct) and books on the influence of other worlds into Althanas (apparently not as yet proven). The presence of Planeswalkers seemed a fact, whilst the idea of gods was more of a perspective, apparently. A whole alcove was dedicated to the different forms of magic, and an entire back wall was filled with religious books and texts, from the Church of the Ethereal Sway to the Hall of Fire, an apparent Corone recent invention that proposed all gods were part of a larger pantheon.

Avis sighed as she worked her clawed fingers carefully over the various titles. She picked out a religious book on, 'Spirits and Other Worshipped Anomalies,' and tucked it under her arm. As she gained to a culture section she wove her way through the major races and their various exoduses, then found a smaller section. A book entitled 'The Book of Pan' told her about the origin of fauns and satyrs whilst another spoke of various elementals, come alive. After a while it took Avis to realise that the books were sorted by country and area, and so after looking into Corone a little more she found the basic kenku text, 'Karas' History.' This she tucked with 'Spirits and Other Worshipped Anomalies.' Then, furthering on and into Keribas' section she finally found it:

'A Treatise on the Off Continent Origin of the Kenku.'

Finally.

Rushing to a table Avis put down the two books she had under her arm. Settling then into a cushioned seat she brought her legs up and rested the Treatise on them. Staring at the brown leather cover for a moment she took in a slow breath, thinking of all the things that she might find out inside. Who she was. Where her power might have come from. Whether she was magic or not. A, "specific type of magic," Raevin had said. One that worked in the guarded tunnels of the Hollow.

Very slowly she opened the first page, passing by the flimsy protector pages. Her eyes settled on the heading, "The Treatise and Where I Began," and her heart began to pound.

Then, she began to read.

Stare
07-26-17, 10:47 AM
Avis learnt more that day about her race than she had in her sixteen years of kenku life. Being raised within the outcast class, the kegareta, had meant she had no formal schooling. Instead there had just been her mother's tales, and those folk stories that the old thieves of the clan she was in used to tell around camp fires. They were the adventures of the first kenku, who came over the Vast Sea, guided by the Kami to escape the Kage - the Shadow. Other tales had the Vast Sea described as the ocean, but the stories were the same enough. Over the generations the kenku had come to believe as fact that they had come from a distant land, and were once birds. The Kami looked after them, had created them and guided them, protecting them from such horrors as the Kage. That was the basis of the kenku religion and it provided a whole structure to worship under.

The Treatise, however, gave an entirely new perspective. According to Karas' new research, there was little to no evidence that the kenku had ever had the means by which to travel far. Their history of ship building was poor. Thus, he proposed, that the kenku came over from Keribas, when exodus ships had brought other races across. The kenku being few in number could have bartered their way along with a number of any trading ships - or, as he dared to say, they might have even been slaves. This he claimed was far more likely, for the kenku were quick to adopt the closest culture they came across - that being of Akashima. If they had been a slave race, then it would explain for their lack of history before ever landing on Corone shores.

The thought made Avis' heart beat wildly. According to kenku tradition, they had nothing to do with Keribas. Instead they claimed to be from another, as yet unknown land, which had since been devoured or taken over by the Kage. Anything there now could not survive, hence Keribas being out of the picture. Keribas, despite its exotic nature, was known to have life, with rich cultures. So it was thought that they could not be the kenku homeland, for the Kage took everything.

However, could it be that their ideas were all wrong? That the Kage, whatever it was, a literal shadow or some other beast, was more metaphorical than real?

Taking a deep breath Avis plunged back into the book. And learnt that the word 'kenku' had only first started being recorded about a hundred years after their reported sightings in Akashima. Karas proposed that it was a name given to them, after they developed the beginnings of their culture. A name that was a mishearing of the word 'tengu' - an ancient term that meant 'bird one'.

Wham!

She slammed the book shut. Her eyes staring around the room, Avis could barely breathe, so erratic was her mind and body working. It made sense, really. It was true that kenku had not always been how they termed themselves, and it was true that they didn't have any ship building history. The Kami were said to be guiding spirits, but also creators - was it that the kenku had been around before them? That they had existed as a slave race for another being, had been brought over from Keribas, where, Karas wrote, there were murmurs of other bird-like bi-pedals. As Avis opened the book back up, very tentatively to catch sight of Karas' comments on these other races she felt a gust of wind. And Brer stepped into the room.

"Hello," he grunted, moving into the room and heading over to a far bookshelf. He sat heaboly down into a seat there.

Avis swallowed hard and kept staring at the pages, her black eyes above her black beak stoic and unable to collate words, let alone thoughts.

"Going to keep an eye on you," Brer said. "Orders."

She closed her eyes, biting back a retort. Whatever garbled mess it would come out as.

"Hmm," the half-giant put his head back, looking up at the ceiling.

Stare
07-26-17, 10:48 AM
Avis set her head into a hand, shutting the book closed again. Pausing, and struggling with the ideas that Karas proposed she sat there for a while, just staring at the book cover. No sound came from Brer, who soon took a book out from his massive pockets somewhere and began to read himself. Probably one of his diehard romances the strange huge man loved so much.

Minutes passed, and it seemed like hours, as Avis considered what she had read. The kenku had been slaves. It made her sick to her stomach; she could feel the acidic taste burn at her oesophagus. And their name, kenku ... It was just a mispronounciation. That was all. A flaw from a group of creatures who had had no culture of their own so stole the one closest to them. Then rewritten their history so none would know the truth.

Being proud as the kenku were, they would never accept this theory as true, even though the evidence all fitted. That was why Avis had never heard this theory before. Just what this meant for her people was huge - they weren't as special as they had once thought, and had once been just possessions to another race. To what race, it was not clear, but Avis was sure some more research and she could find a few strong candidates. Blinking back tears she reached for the book on the spirits, wondering if any more information on their worship and purpose could be gained. It was at this moment when Mesis strode in and announced it was dinner.

Over the next two days Avis threw herself into research. Quiet and grumpy she did not respond much to anything Brer said. He followed her from room to room, house to garden, not asking any questions but looking at her in brief moments of concern - especially when she gasped in despair. What Avis learnt over her time was that slavery was indeed prevalent in the period of question, and certainly towards the Keribas area. Several large scale slavery rebellions also took place, as well as occupation of the Corone shores. She also studied the origins of the word tengu, and found it traced back much further than kenku, and was very likely the first term used. Hence the duchess using it over kenku. Spirit worship was, too, particularly situated within the area of Keribas often associated with trade and included the island city state of Hernsford, famous for its international slavery standards - a thing Avis knew far too well, Vitruvion having produced faked but all too official documents in the past with regards to her. It was what he called his 'last resort,' in case she ever did get away from him. He would send out a large scale reward for her capture and return. That was if the cuff ever stopped working.

It seemed though, Avis thought with a bitter heart, that being a slave just ran in her blood.

It was on the third day that Vitruvion finally returned to the mansion. When he did it was with Raevin. The elf Captain burst into the living room, where Brer and Avis were deep in reading. Avis now had a sheaf of papers, making notes about the horrific past of her people.

She looked up, the ugly, haunted, angry and depressed look that had become a consistency in her eyes. Pausing for a moment, Raevin frowned and then folded his arms, going from his energised state that he had been in, to now an irritated one.

"You're here?" She asked in a cold, quiet voice. "You're never here."

Raevin curled his lip. "Well. Aren't you in a foul mood?"

"I'm not in any mood," she growled back before going back to her writing.

Throwing a curious look to Brer, Raevin asked what was the matter by mouthing. When the half-giant simply shrugged, the Captain let out a sigh.

"Well. Your master is back."

"He's not my master," Avis abruptly snapped. She hated the word. Now of what she had discovered she hated it.

"Fine. Sir Vitruvion is back and he wanted you to know."

"Great. That is really nice. Now you have found us you can go." She folded her arms over her breasts as she stared intently at a book.

Raevin furrowed his brow. "Stare, you can at least be cordial."

"If all you have come here to do is give information then you've done it. So you can go now. Go and tell the bas-"

Get out here. Now.

Stare
07-26-17, 10:52 AM
The words rattled around her head like an avalanche. They were couple by an icy, thundering pain to her head which felt as if a frozen, stone fist was making contact with her skull. But on the inside. Jarring her brain and sending her eyesight reeling and her rocking forwards in agony.

Hissing darkly, chattering a verbal curse in avian, Avis gripped the side of the table as she gritted the sides of her beak together. Uneasily, she tried to stand, but as a wave of pain came back into her head her footing faltered.

Now, girl! Now!

If you fucking let me stand I might! She growled back, making the thoughts as clear as day. She felt his powerful presence at the edge of her mind consider for a moment.

Come out now. You have two minutes.

Clearly Raevin and Brer had noticed her torment. They now looked at her with curiousity in their eyes, with a hint of concern. Avis tried to ignore them as she pushed herself to her feet and left the room, pausing briefly to slam the book shut and grab her papers. As she stalked out she folded them carelessly and stuffed them into their now usual place in a pounch at her belt. She stormed through the door, into the smaller chamber outside, and from there into the main hallway of the mansion, where the stairs rose from to and the balcony overlooked.

She had gone some distance when a forceful hand slapped over her upper arm, pulling her to a halt. A cruel voice, teeth at her ear hissed.

"You will never speak to Raevin like that again, do you hear? He is worth ten times more than any of the rest of you are. He is your superior and your better. You will give him the respect that you should give me and never swear at him, never. Do you understand that, you little bitch?"

Rooted to the spot she didn't move. And did not answer. Instead she just glared at the floor, her heart racing, waiting for the whatever punishment to just start. Then she could suffer, hate him more ... Then continue this -

The hand moved, releasing her upper arm and providing restbite briefly before he grabbed the nape of her neck. He cut off her thoughts processes with a continuation of his words.

"And I am your master. Whatever you want to say that you are - my secretary, my worker, whatever - understand this, Stare," he gripped her neck harder and she was forced to freeze, hunch, breathing short and rapid. "I will always be your master, one day I will drag you to Hernsford and make it official. You will never escape me, never get away, no matter how powerful-"

Then he broke off. He paused. And suddenly the pressure at her neck was gone, the pain was gone. Avis let out a light gasp, but it did not stop her anger and frustration, the dark look in her eyes. Instead she remained where she was, out of knowing he required her to be there, with her heart still racing.

Then he appeared in her view. His white-blonde hair, his tall, handsome form, his bright blue eyes. His brows lowered, his expression somewhere between pure rage and sudden ... Concern.

A hand came under her beak and tipped her head up. Bringing up her eyes to meet his he took a long moment to gaze at her, lips forming a thin, passive line. Not caring, she stared back, the frustration beneath her roiling like a constant storm. All born from her days if searching, discovering, hating to admit the truth.

She dropped her eyes from his, the now familiar lump forming heavy in her throat. Slowly Vitruvion let her head slip from his hand, a strange look crossing his face. Pursing his lips he took in a long breath before stepping back.

In a much softer tone he said, "Go upstairs to your room. I will be up shortly." As her rigid, hateful form began to stiffly turn and skulk that way he stopped her with a light hand on her shoulder. His quiet voice continued. "Just ... Be respectful to Raevin, please." Then he let go. "You may go now."

And then she was off, her heart hammering, her breathing ragged. She ran up the stairs, not sure what he was saying or meaning, but knowing she only wanted to be alone. And the few moments she was going to have ... They were precious. So she fled to her bedroom and shut herself tightly in. Into the window seat she curled, a tight ball of confusion, twisted emotions and anxiety, unsure of what the past and future even was.

Stare
07-26-17, 10:53 AM
It was only ten minutes until he came in. This time, however, he did not storm in, a torrent of fury that he had been before. Instead he was calm. He was peaceful. And he was purposeful. He strode over to her after a general pause and sweep of the room. He took a moment to look at her, then there came a loud sound. It made Avis jump slightly, and look up. Just in time to see a pile of books being ceremoniously dropped on the small table beside her. A brief look of them showed that they were her books, the ones she had been reading steadily for the past three days.

"You have been writing notes as well?"

She kept staring at the books. It took a moment but she gave a small nod. There was a moment of silence, then a hand appeared in her vision.

"Please."

His soft tone and his word choice made her startled. Blinking a little she slowly pulled out her papers from their pouch and pushed them into his waiting palm. The fingers folded around them and extracted them from view. With a small sigh she looked away, gazing out of the window.

There was quiet then for a long time.

Avis remained seated, looking out over the gardens. She watched as two small birds darted in and out of a laurel bush, gathering twigs and so on. One would disappear for a while, then come out chattering. Another would then appear from the end of the garden and they would talk until they found more foliage. Then they would both dart into the bush, clearly enamoured and making a nest. It fascinated Avis, the way their simple lives could be so complex, their language and their dance so meaningful.

She got lost in their seemingly mundane lives, and it felt like hours as the silence became normal. She watched as the two gardeners Vitruvion employed, Fain and Celedro, worked their way around the hedgerow and flower patches. Other animals, including a squirrel and a stoat, popped their way into her life, and slowly the peace of it all quelled her racing heart. It calmed her, instilled into her a sense of peace. And despite the tiny sounds of paper being moved intermittently, Avis felt comfort.

Eventually his voice broke the stillness.

"Well," he almost whispered in a low, understanding manner. "I see how this has come about."

Breathing slow Avis turned her head to look at him. Perched on the window seat Vitruvion poised comfortably, with her notes spread out before him on the table . He had also opened and marked a few of the books, a hand resting on one.

"First thing I should say is that you have a very fine calligraphic hand," he raised his eyes to hers, curiosity dancing in them. "Where did you learn?"

She sighed with her first words, "My mother. All kenku are taught calligraphy as an art at school and even though I did not have formal schooling because of my family's social standing my mother remembered enough." She closed her beak and dropped her eyes after, the thoughts and sights of her grey-headed (or 'hooded') mother fill her mind.

He gave a small nod. "I see."

He set the papers down carefully. "Have you found any information to refute these theories?" He asked, gesturing with a hand at the books and papers.

"Only that of oral tradition of my people," Avis replied in a hollow, tentative voice.

"And the Kami can not be creators as ...?"

Her hand moved awkwardly and slowly. From the pile of books she pulled out Spirits and Other Worshipped Anomalies. Without looking at him she pushed it towards him and flipped over the page where she had marked it.

"By Keribas tradition spirits are guiding souls, sometimes those of the dead," Vitruvion read out loud, "There has never been a case of them associated with the direct creation of anything, aside from mythical theories. After the writer communed with the spirits of Venshow, however ..." His voice fell quiet as he read, lips moving slightly. Avis eyes dropped.

Stare
07-26-17, 10:54 AM
He was silent again for a while. For a strangely long time. Avis was watching out the window again when she heard the rustling of paper. Looking back over she saw Vitruvion grabbing her notes again and pouring over them. His eyes were now intense, strutinising, lips murmuring silence.

"What is it?" She asked in a whisper, starting to feel strange.

He held up a hand to her, shaking his head as he asked her to wait. She grunted and sat back, her familiar grumpy mood taking over. Messily she folded her hands on her lap.

Another few minutes passed. Avis grew agitated, closing her eyes to try to calm herself: if she couldn't see then that might help.

Eventually.

A hand. On hers. The soft, warm flesh cupping over her own rough-skinned, clawed fist. And it was gently placed. Oddly gently.

Her eyes flashed open, and she stared down, where his pale skin was obvious against her dark grey flesh. She froze entirely, unknowing what that touch meant. Was he really, right now, while she was going through this, trying to initiate a sexual encounter?!

"Stare," he said quietly. "I think I know who created your race."

The breath woodshed from her lungs. Eyes wide and full of intrigue, full of confusion, full of wonder, swept up to fix on his. Once again her heart beat. Wildly.

"What?" She stared at him, not caring about her tone or choice of words now. He could not expect her to watch her mouth, not after the three days of terror she had had, not after dropping ... That.

"What the fuck?"

His blue eyes, the colour of the summer cloudless sky, blinked and a bright smile came to his lips.

"I said, that I think I know who created your race. Where you came from ... Everything. It's a rather bizarre set of circumstances but it explains a lot." He looked down at her notes. "Those for a start." He waved a hand at her collected books, "Those." And he then paused, eyes rising up to fix her with a solid, unexplainable gaze.

His hand unfolded from her books and formed into a fist, but the index finger extended. Slowly he raised it and pointed with all the authority of the earth.

"I think, we can finally explain you."

All time seemed to stop. Frozen, in midair, the atoms of the world stopped their movement, the gases stilling to take into account this one, vivid moment. His hand, formed and prodding the air about her heart. Meaning, but not menacing. Profound, but not provoking.

Then the hand curled back into a loose fist and fell down to the table. A soft gleam in his eye caught her breath, her attention, her entire being.

"What are you saying?" She whispered, barely even able to stutter the words.

"I am saying I think we finally have an explanation as to why your powers ... Your magic as I am sure it is now, developed in such a fast and significant way, and only when you were in the Hollow."

Avis began to shake her head, "No-no," she said fast, her hands splayed, trying to to reason with him. "No, the Hollow does not allow magic. Everything apart from yours. I spoke to Reign, and she explained it. You cast a spell, a powerful one, when you first settled in it and-"

"Blocking all use of magic that occurs naturally in this world," he nodded. "Including anything divine, from the Tap and it's associated similars, from the ground, genetics ... Anything." He spoke as if it were all simple science. "Yes. There have been no occurances of this rule breaking at all."

She sighed and gestured at him, her voice becoming cracked. "Exactly! So what I do can't be magic!"

"Unless ..." He looked at her firmly, a smile at the corner of his mouth.

Avis heart beat erratically. She shook her head, at a loss. "I don't know what your inferring, Vitruvion. At all."

"Unless your power source is not of this world."

Stare
07-26-17, 10:55 AM
Once more, silence.

Dumbfounded, and utterly bewildered, Avis stared at him.

"I don't ... What?"

"You told me that your race does not show magic often."

Avis nodded slowly. "Only if they have a reason ... A goddess blessing or a magical item," she murmured. "Never naturally."

"And that you have always had some power with staring. Latent and never truly powerful."

She swallowed, uneasily. "I would not describe it as that."

It was strange that this man, who not an hour ago had been holding her by the neck and telling him that she would never be free of him, was being so kind. This conversation, though it was going somewhere, and though a part of her still wanted him out of the room and away from her. Preferably forever.

Vitruvion took a slow breath, keeping his eyes level with hers. He folded his hands on his lap.

"What I am about to tell you, Stare, does not go beyond you or I. The only others who know the full truth of this is my sister Ventrua, and Raevin." He looked at her seriously. "If I even suspect that you have even hinted at this to anyone there will be serious reprocussions. And I mean, I will be forced to end your life, my dear, something I do not want to do, not in the slightest, now knowing what you are."

To use the terms 'my dear' and 'end your life' in the same sentence was threatening to say the least. It almost defined Vitruvion's strange mixture of personality - the power-obsessed emperor of a sex-fantasy and the sometimes kind, understanding man who rewarded good service with honest reasoned advantages.

Avis stared at him with large, almost fearful eyes.

"Then don't tell me," she said in a hushed, fast voice. "Because I don't want that."

Vitruvion shook his head a little, giving her a sad smile. "What is more important to you, knowing what you are and the truth about your people, or your life?"

Jaw tightening, Avis honestly felt thrown into a volcano. In all honesty, it was a very difficult choice. Her life was worth something to her, but it had been dwindling over time. Then again, being now in the mansion and no longer in the Hollow gave her new purposes and new direction, despite the firm fact that it seemed she would never be free from him. Suicide had felt like a viable option several times, but Avis suspected that if she ever came near to conducting a plan that Vitruvion would act. A raised eyebrow told her the truth of this. No, instead, she had to deal with that which she had - which certainly had its advantages in some ways. She had a home, good food, friends, if one counted Brer and the servants in the house. And that was more than others could ask for. So was that really something she valued more than all the ideas, thoughts and emotions that her discoveries had racked her body with over the last three days.

Knowing what a kenku truly was. Knowing where they came from. Knowing where she came from.

"I don't know," she whispered, in complete honesty. And she dropped her eyes from his.

Taking a moment Vitruvion paused, then nodded slowly. "It would be a hard decision for anyone to make. But for the sake of your understanding of who and what I am," he paused, raising a hand to elegantly curl a piece of stray hair to behind his ear, "And for the sake of the ongoing future, I will tell you."

He took a moment, pausing.

"You will have noticed I am powerful."

Avis almost laughed. Instead a wry cough came from her throat. Him? Powerful? He was the most powerful man she had ever heard of. To hold a constant spell in one large location that stopped anyone else from being able to use magic surely required a significant amount. Avis had been considering the Forgotten Ones level for some time. Or at least aiming for that.

"As well as the spell on the Hollow, I have thirteen other full time magical committments," he said, "Those that I will, depending on what uses I have for you, reveal to you. Some of them are supported by Ventrua, but then she has her own as well." He blinked. "Stare, this would be better if you looked at me."

She grimaced in the way that a faceful of beak can allow. "I ... Don't know if I can," she replied hoarsely.

He frowned a little, but nodded. "I see. Very well." He sighed a little, took another pause, then went on.

Stare
07-26-17, 10:55 AM
"It is my belief - and I will confirm this later, but I have very high assumption that it will be confirmed - that the history of your people and the source of my power are connected. You see," a small smile came to his face. "I know for a fact that there were several races who arrived in Keribas between seven and one millennia ago from another world. When they arrived they were without memory of their previous cultures and all of them shared a distinct idea that they were running away from something."

Avis gripped her legs tight, bound as they were by her arms to her chest.

"Clearly your ancestors, your people, fit into this category fairly well. They know little of their past, they could easily have been come across by slavers, who caught them in confusion, then been taken to Corone where they escaped or gained freedom in some way. Being of no clear cultural memory they adopted that of the Akasimans, built the idea for themselves that they were guided by the spirits you call the Kami, an idea very likely taken from their Keribas masters, and deliberately forgot their slave and confused past." He leant back slightly, raising his smile into a grin. "And it explains the shadow, your Kage. The fear that they are running from, the unknown beast that their instincts were left with. The only hint of their past lives."

He fell silent, his eyes dancing over her form. She still sat there, curled up and trying to take it all in. Certainly it fit what she had learnt from Karas' theories. But to be from another world ... Another place that was not Althanas ... That was mad. Surely.

Vitruvion lost his grin. Seeing that she was not moving he sucked in his breath. "One moment," he said. "I'm just going to-"

There was an audible pop. Startled, Avis looked up, eyes wild and the instinct to fight or flight awakening in her. Blinking, she saw Vitruvion's mouth move but no words come out. Then it seemed as if time moved slower, more inexporably ... Then sped up again. He was talking, normally. The pop was gone. Everything was as it should be.

"No one will hear us now," he explained, catching her gaze. As he held her eyes, he gave a small smile, genuinely kind and patient. "Are you able to listen?"

Solidly, she swallowed, but she nodded, having nothing better to do.

He was going to explain now, even if she refused.

"All this also explains why your powers don't work on me. They also wouldn't work on Ventrua, as she is of the same genetic make up," he coughed. "You have had my inheritance explained to you as half-celestial, correct?"

Slowly she nodded, not quite remembering where that idea originally started. Perhaps it was Raevin who had told her, or Blaze. Even she might have just supposed it herself. But everyone called him that. So that was what he was.

He smiled then, and for the first time Avis saw him actually uncomfortable.

Stare
07-26-17, 10:58 AM
"That is ... An understatement. Half-celestial has the idea of one of my parents being a heavenly servant of some kind. Angel, or fallen angel as apparently some of my guards have surmised, Raevin tells me." He raised his eyebrows, amusement coming onto his face. Avis also saw that his eyes were not quite looking at her, instead they were somewhere distant. Over her shoulder, as if looking into a vision.

She began to look that way when his voice came back stronger, and his eyes fixed back on hers.

"None of that is true. Instead I am the first born, full blood son, born to a single entity who goes by the name of Ansaldo. He is the lone diety of a single world some fair fantastical lightyears from here. And when I say lone, I mean lone. He created the world, gave life to every being, shaped the plants, the ground, the people ... All of it."

He paused and looked at her.

"Ansaldo is my father. I have no mother, he created me from his own celetial being. Ventrua is my half sister technically, daughter of him in human form and a being close to a human on his planet. We were sent here ... Well because there wasn't enough room for two gods there."

He folded his arms and sat back, looking vaguely irritated. "That is about it. My father has a knack of creating beings and then despairing of them. When he does he sends their entire species to other worlds. One of those clearly beings your own one. The reason why your powers came to be when you arrived at the Hollow was your connection to me. We met, and a latent ability that was locked away by Ansaldo awoke. Your magic should not exist, but by some circumstance,"he practically threw a hand at her. "By sheer coincidence, you came across me. Your would-be god. And 'son' of your creator. Hence why," he leant forwards suddenly, unfolding his arms and pushing his face into her very, now frightened, uncertain, shocked features. "Hence why, Stare, there is no bloody doubt that I am your master and always will be." He extended a finger to her barely held together form, on the verge of shaking. It's tip bounced off the edge of her cuff. "And hence why I need something this powerful to hold you to me. You're a forgotten creation, a happenstance and now with the full force of your people's forgotten inheritance slammed into you as a lone representative, the first in centuries, ever since your people were sent here ... You have the full force of all the abilities that should have been shared amongst you." He slid his fingers up and over her wrist, right onto her frozen hand, so their fingers intertwined. "Stare, you are very likely going to become the most powerful kenku that the world will ever see, or had ever seen, a discarded thing by my father who in his arrogance likely forgot that a race which should be so powerful was here."

Tightly, he gripped her hand and pushed his face further towards hers. She couldn't move. She could hardly even blink, for all the adrenaline, panic and sheer understanding - because gods this finally all made fucking sense, finally, bloody finally! - that ran through her. It was just ... So clear now. All that Karas had thought, all that Raevin had hinted at with his 'there are exceptions' and his sly smiles. All that Vitruvion was capable of. Bloody hell, he was a god, not a half anything!

Vitruvion's eyes were glowing then, something she had never noticed before. The light from the sun steaming through the window was glistening. It was delightful, warm and illuminating. Illuminating to him and the truth.

His other hand rised to comb through the feathers of her head, sweeping around gently to caress her. "You are mine, Stare. No one else's. Certainly not my father's. He threw you away, and so now I am claiming you, in all the ways that this world requires. Call it obsession, call it what you will but I found you, I found a people that my father so recklessly threw away, and this is the reason I need you." He gripped her hand tight, dropped his fingers from her cheek. She swallowed tight, barely able to even comprehend that here was the man - no, the god - who was directly connected to the one who had created her race. Ansaldo, the one she now realised that was the Kage. That was the shadow who her people so feared. The god who had created them singlehandedly ... Then thrown them away.

"Do you understand, Stare?" He asked in a warm, nearly desperate voice. So passionate, so full of life. "Do you understand what you are to me?"

Swallow. Again. She could barely breathe. And not answer. How could he even expect her to begin to answer?

He suddenly pulled on her hand and then his arms were around her. He was holding her, tight to his chest, and she could hear his heart racing. His godly heart. His dirty heart. His heart likely made of diamonds and liquid gold.

"By right of my birth, I claim you," Vitruvion whispered in her ear. "The gods here, when I came, there were so many that they cast me aside, forced me to give up any ideas of creation, for they said it was too much. There were too many." He face bent down, pressing his lips to the crown of her head. "I'm bound by their many powers and promised not to interfere with any of their creations, but you are not, Stare. You and your people are not. So here I am in this simple body, claiming you as my fucking birthright as I should have had from the start." Avis began to sob, finally letting the wave of insane emotions overwhelm her and rush her. Vitruvion said nothing about them, but held her tigher to him, breathing through gritted teeth.

"Mine," he hissed, "You are mine and no one else's. Most especially not my father's."

Stare
07-26-17, 10:59 AM
That night was a strange one.

Avis cried for what seemed hours. Everything that had been building up over the three full days, all the anger and frustration - it spilled out of her. With Vitruvion's confession she felt warm. A strange sort of warm, but warm none the less. He explained a little more to her about his situation, sparing the story over a number of hours in the short gaps of her tears and shivers. Having carried her over to the bed he held her as a lover would his darling, hands not touching inappropriately for the time, but still soft and comforting. He told her how he had been sent away after only ten Althanas years from his father's world, called Ansaldo after him.

They just had not got on, and all the hopes Ansaldo had had in sharing his planet with another had failed. So he had given him a single servant, Ventrua, through the void to a random other world. Which apparently was Althanas. Thunk, Vitruvion had come, gotten rid of any idea that Ventrua was his servant, but rather was his sister. The gods of Althanas, however, immediately spouted issue with him just arriving at such a complicated, already developed world. They had forced him to swear that he would not interfere with any creations of theirs in any dietific way. He would be allowed to influence the world like any other creation, but wasn't allowed to claim anything for himself. With that on the table and annihilation for him and Ventrua, Vitruvion had agreed, and he had been trapped within a, though immortal, physical form. Ventrua, being half human anyway, had already been trapped such.

"It's not a romantic tale, nor a kind one," he said darkly and bitterly, "And I am still in communication with my father, despite the condition I was reduced to. I have searched long and hard for any remnants of the races if my father, as you have seen by my books, but all of them bar yours seems to have ended in death."

Avis closed her eyes and breathed against his shirt. Though, after all he had put her through in the past half a year - all the pain, physical and emotional, the turmoil and personal changes - she could not let go of him. He was there. He had explained everything, finally - himself, his power, the Hollow, who she was. Her hands were backed into fists still, after rubbing her eyes countless times, and they rested partly on her lap, partly over him.

"'Tengu'," she quietly whispered. "It was in the book. It was-"

"The name originally given to your race by Ansaldo," Vitruvion nodded slowly, his fingers twirling around the feathers of her shoulder. "That makes entire sense."

She huffed and hiccuped a little, looking down at her feet. One was cast over Vitruvion's own stretched out legs, and one was curled under her body so that the knee awkwardly jutted into the air.

"At least your people found something though," Vitruvion said quietly, "That may be why they survived where the others did not. The fact that they pleased the spirits you call the Kami and gained their favour."

Avis nodded a little, letting out a small sigh. "They are good guides for our life. They even take care of the Kegareta."

The outcast class. The one Avis had been born into after her father and brothers' shame.

Vitruvion swirled a small pattern up her neck. "Then that must be what has kept them alive in an alien world this whole time," he agreed.

There was silence for a long time. Avis felt as if she should move, really, but couldn't bring herself to it. This felt so natural, and so comforting after all she had learnt. Not that she was going to leap into bed with him, not at all. That was definitely off the table now.

"Raevin ...?" She suddenly realised. Why did Raevin know this?

"Raevin actually figured it out. When I first started hiring him as a mercenary, he apparently saw my powers as beyond normal for even a holy person, as I was styling myself back then. By the Althanas gods' laws, as you know I cannot ask for worship. So flaunting myself as a god is out of the way." He brushed his hair away back over his head. "Raevin did some reading, saw into my, at then, bad lies. He kept asking until he got it correct. He then helped me to create the persona of Sir Elssmith, gain the title and the lands, even helped in the original idea of the Hollow."

Stare
07-26-17, 11:00 AM
The memory of the place made Avis cringe. She began to curl away from Vitruvion, and he frowned, but did nothing as she took a slow foetal position. "You created it to mimick having your own world," she realised with a quiet whisper.

"Exactly," he agreed, leaning his head back against the headboard, arm still around her but not actively seeking her touch. "Eventually, for various reasons, Raevin and I added the 'brothers' but the concept of it was to immitate full control my own world. It's changed over time, but I still do not regret ever making it."

Avis rubbed her eyes, a sigh on her beak. "Yeah."

"Raevin has seen me through a great amount," Vitruvion murmured. "He has been there since the first year I came to this planet. When Ventrua eventually left my side to go and start projects of her own," Avis nodded a little. She knew that the woman was not around all the time. "He remained by my side." He patted her shoulder. "Stare, I want you to respect him. Though neither of us I am sure are 'good men' your eyes he is your superior in this."

She sighed and closed her eyes, slumping back to relax against him.

"Can you please answer that question."

"Yes," she mumbled. "I understand."

With a small smile his arm tightened around her again. "He will be required to respect you also - I will let him know what passed between us today. So you can take comfort in that."

She grunted a little, hidden ear finding the thumping beat of his heart.

After a while she let out a question of her own. "Where does this leave me?"

Vitruvion took a moment to answer.

"The Althanas gods cannot interfere now that I have found you. For now ..." He rested his hand on her knee. "We will work on your powers, and see what else might be hidden within you. I expect we'll see a few unknown delights underneath your feathery hide." He chuckled to himself at his small joke. "Aside from that, it's definitely time to install you officially as a member of my household. I have thrown around the term secretary a little ..." Avis nodded, Raevin had mentioned that. "... But something more substantial. With more power." He paused. "Steward." He himself closed his eyes and smiled. "That will do. Has enough ambiguity for everyone to be happy."

Avis felt herself curl into his side more. In all honesty, she felt exhausted after all that crying. Now that things were spoken and known, the truth was out, she felt more confident in who she was, and her relationship to Vitruvion. He was a god, trapped in a physical body. She was the subject of an experiment by his father, thrown away and now found. Claimed, owned and wanted, the latter word being the one that mattered to her most now. Yes, he was still a megolomaniac, and yes, she still hates him now, but at least she understood him. And that was worth everything. This god wanted her, and so she was to stay, rising from an outcast of society to a god's steward in less that a year.

A worthwhile year.

Stare
07-26-17, 11:01 AM
Waking up in Vitruvion's arms when they had not had sex the night before was a new experience. Avis did not know quite how to feel about it. She found, however, she was a lot calmer than the night before. And all the days before that. As she lay there and assessed what she thought about Vitruvion, who he was and what he did, she decided that she hated him less. Still, she did not agree with what occurred in the Hollow at all, but there was an understanding within her of his reasons for it. For why he had, at the beginning, started such a project. As the years had slipped by its real reason for existening had changed, both for Vitruvion, Raevin himself and the various other occupants of the place. But it still did not keep from the original theme. That Vitruvion had wanted power. And the Hollow sated not only that, but also his lust.

Supposedly strong in a god.

She awoke a more powerful woman. Wiser, and with more reason for living, wrapped now in the arms of the man she knew for certain now there was never any escaping from. A man who was a god, determinedly now her god. A man who wanted her there, and who she felt much better in relation to.

After a long period of thought she began to emerge from under his arms. So tight were they around her, however, that her movements made him grunt, then pause, then awake.

"Ah," grunted the voice by her ear.

She waited a moment, then began to try to move again. Instead his arms wrapped around her tighter, shuffling down until they were around her waist and torso, pinning her arms to her side. Avis let out a quiet growl, trying to shift out of the hold, but her only response was a chuckle.

"No," he said in a voice thick with pride. "I'm savering the moment. You are not going yet."

She huffed, but lay there, his body spooned around her. Their heartbeats synchronised, becoming two heavy thunders in the room. Laying his head over her shoulder, tucking it under his chin he grinned gently, breathing against her neck.

"Mine" he smoothly murmured, and to him the word meant so much more than simply belonging to his will.

He held that position for a while. Avis forced herself to relax after a few minutes and the rest of the time drifted away by the slow seconds. When he finally did let go, it was he who moved entirely off the bed. The shifting weight bounced the mattress and she Avis found herself rolling somewhat before his feet began to move. A scrape off the floor told her he was collecting his shoes and other items.

There was a short pause until she thought about beginning to get up. Her eyes glanced over to where she presumed he was, and true enough there he stood, pulling on a short. Making eye contact with her he smiled warmly, delight in his eyes. He was seemingly perfect still, with free crumples in his shirt, even hair despite having slept.

Stare
07-26-17, 11:01 AM
"Come down in an hour or so," he said. She blinked and started moving, looking away to push her body into a sitting position "Then we will begin discussion of your new duties."

Her eyes flickered back to his in surprise.

"New ... Duties?" She asked, a little confused.

His small smile grew slightly, one side twitching with amusement. "Stare, I was not jesting when I said that you are now to be my steward," he said in a strong, purposeful voice. "Or are you now declining my offer?"

Parting her beak a little she felt entirely lost, not knowing what was the right answwrr in this situation. If she declined, then was that a way of saying that she wanted things to remain the same? Was this a gift? An indication of him trusting her, or was this simply a test?

"I'm not refusing anything," she murmured hurriedly. Could she even refuse it? "I just ... What would be the alternative?"

Both white eyebrows rose. Pointedly, he leant on his cane. He was silent for a while as his eyes bore into her, and Avis knew then he was delving into her thoughts. She breathed faster, realising now it may have been a stupid question.

"It's not a test," he finally spoke. "And neither do I trust you entirely. Not even now. But," he straightened. "It makes sense, Stare. I know /precisely/ what you are, and why I was intrigued by you in the first place. Why that innermost part of me felt that ..." He sighed and shook his head. "You either take on this status, Stare, or you remain as you are. In this room, doing what you have been. But," he arched an eyebrow.

She looked down. There really was no choice.

"There is," he said, reading her thoughts, "But you would be a fool not to take what I offer. That and this is what I want."

She dropped her eyes again, nodding a little. There was a choice, but the consequences of such would become his steadily growing disappointment of her. With him one step between her and the god who had created her race it was a dangerous place to be. With all that she knew now, and with the other option being to have a lack of purpose ... Accepting what he wanted was wise. And keep her busy. And please him.

Please him.

"Then I will see you in an hour downstairs," he nodded, beginning to move once more.

She nodded, and waited for him to leave.

Stare
07-26-17, 11:02 AM
Once he had she threw herself out on the bed, letting out a mighty gasp. Her eyes wide, she stared at the ceiling of her room with sheer awe.

Vitruvion was a god. Bound in earthly form, but he was an extremely powerful, awe-inspiring, fucking god. And not just any idle one. Son of the very diety who had created her people, Ansaldo who ran his entire own planet. Here, he would be a single voice amongst many others. It gave her an idea of why Vitruvion was the way he was, with his arrogance, his power-lust and his pride. His personality in that respect would never change, and his obsession over her ... It would only last. He had claimed her for his own. After all she only had the Kami, if they even cared about her anymore. More or less she had given up the idea of prayer. Circumstances were that he had found her and would now never let her go.

Throwing herself out of her bed, Avis sighed and rang the bell at the side of her bed, which sent a message to one of the downstairs staff - likely Mariah or Fortuna who worked as the maids of all work. Forty minutes later and Avis was clean, having gained hot water, washed and dressed into a new loose grey robe that wrapped around her easily. She took a moment to look at herself in a polished metal sheet that acted as a mirror, seeing a kenku that was more aware than ever before. Her eyes were dark, filled with knowledge and power, and her clothing was of good quality. She was strong and she was bold. And, though partly by force, was about to commit a life in service to a god that her people would never had known about had she never come to Beinost.

Opening the bedroom door she found Brer outside. She blinked a couple of times before nodding to him and starting down the stairs. He did not say anything - she did not know what Vitruvion had told him - and so she went straight for the stairs. Early, but was that not ever better?

Pausing at the bottom of the stairs in the hall she took time before seeing an open door. With that the best indication of where to go she headed over to it, finding herself in the Blue Room, one of the reception rooms of the house that was done out with soft blue wallpaper. As she looked in she saw the cream sofa at the far wall, and beside that the grand round coffee table. Another sofa beyond and a small set of shelves, by which Vitruvion was standing, now dressed in a fine clean shirt and breeches, shiny black boots on his feet. As Avis entered, he twisted around to look at her, and a smile came to his face before he gestured to her.

"Stare. Come in."

She breathed in, looking down, but took a step in. And as she did she caught the sight of first Raevin standing just by the door itself, and then behind that, sitting in an armchair was a woman Avis had not seen for a long time.

Ventrua, Vitruvion's half-sister. With her gorgeous blonde hair, her fine blue eyes, dressed in an elegant chemise. As Avis cane in the half-goddess looked at her with wide, hungry eyes, a smile on her lips that told her Vitruvion had shared their discovery.

"Close the door, my dear," Vitruvion said softly, "And come, sit. Leave Brer outside.

Avis looked back to Brer, who shrugged a single shoulder. A brief thankful glance to him and she set her clawed hand on the door. Very slowly, without a word, she pressed the door shut before it clicked in the frame. Then she took in a breath before twisting around, not looking at anyone and going to place herself on a sofa. Back straight and hands on her lap she finally raised her eyes to Vitruvion once more. Raevin stepped from behind the door to be closer to her, and she noticed his strong curious look directed to herself.

Serenely, Vitruvion inclined his head. Then began.

Stare
07-26-17, 11:03 AM
"Now that we are all akin in knowledge, then I think we can directly begin in discussion of how these changes will effect us all. I think everyone is agreement of the circumstances." His eyes flicked from person to person.

"Have you actually confirmed your theory with father yet?" Ventrua said sharply, eyes on her brother.

The god pursed his lips. "Ventrua, it is not a theory. And no, I have not entirely as yet, but I doubt he will have any objections to me taking on one of the species he just threw away."

"You don't think there's a reason he got rid of them?"

Avis blinked a great amount then. A wave of anger rushed through her, fury for Ventrua and what she said, fury for what her people had been through so far. So cruel was she to say so in the circumstances; for a slave race, a discarded race, a forgotten race. Vitruvion spied Avis from the corner of his eye, pursing his lips slightly as he sensed the emotion from her. But the kenku could not say anything. She simply stared at the opposite wall, heart beating like a rapid drum.

"No matter what you think, Ventrua," the god continued, "I have every intention of making Stare my steward from now on. She has power, she has my authority. With knowledge of what we are and where we are from it makes sense that she knows how to act in our - my - best interests." He moved then and dropped himself into the other sofa.

There was a tight pause in the room.

"But you do not trust her."

"Not yet, but I am sure that will change. Either way I can see what she sees, hear what she hears ... It would be a shame not to use this all." He suddenly looked over to Avis. "You wouldn't disobey or disappoint your god, would you?" He had a sparkle in his eye.

Avis found her breath catch in her throat. She stared at him, beak halves apart slightly.

"Well?" He said in a voice that was harder.

Looking around briefly Avis found all eyes on her; Raevin with raised brows, Ventrua with a cruel beauty. Swallowing fast and knowing there was only one answer that did not mean her instant demise, Avis sucked in her breath then, and gave a quick shake of her head.

"No," she murmured.

Raevin visibly relaxed. Lounging, Vitruvion laughed a little and nodded his acceptance. Ventrua, however, in the minority kept the glare, disbelief in her.

"Sister, you cannot doubt the usefulness of what I have discovered here. Stare is mine, and I will use her as I see fit. Perhaps even pay her a people a visit at one point." Avis made a face, but Vitruvion did not notice. "Her position here is permanent and people must know that. I am installing her as my steward and that is it."

His eyes glanced then over to Raevin. "Of course you still remain head of my security, commander of my interests here, the Hollow and elsewhere. Stare will take on responsibility for the administrative sides of our business, more of the practical side of the running of the Hollow and ..." He paused, then looked back over to Avis. "Yes, running of this household. You could do with a challenge."

Avis blinked a few times. "But Mesis runs the house." In truth she found the concept of assisting the running of the Hollow more daunting. Whenever she went there she felt sick, knowing personally the emotional trauma and pain that the 'guests' went through in there.

"He is the head butler," Vitruvion said with a firm tone. "You are my steward. It makes only sense that you oversee it as I do in my spare time." He waved a hand at her. "I find it all boring, so I am giving it to you."

Looking away from him Avis grumbled in her head. A soft amused smile came on Vitruvion's face, though his sight now drifted to Ventrua as she spoke up.

"But what if she finds a way to ruin this all? Giving her power only increases the chances of her bringing your empire down!"

"Sister," he sighed with a groan. "Stare is clever and thus she knows that even trying such a thing would be foolish. This, combined with my promise to kill her if I even suspect that she might tell anyone what my secrets are ... Well." He shrugged. "I won't hesitate to carry out that promise." Avis tipped back her head to stare at the ceiling, letting out a quiet sigh. There really was no choice here, other than to do what he wished her to do.

Stare
07-26-17, 11:04 AM
"And there," he pointed at her as she sighed. "Is my proof. Stare is despairing over the knowledge that she can do little about this, and that she has no choice," he said, speaking her almost exact words.

"You'll hesitate to kill her."

"Well I don't hesitate to cause her punishment when it is due."

Ventrua glared daggers at him. "Then do so now, when no punishment is due. Show me brother what your seriousness is."

Slowly Avis raised her eyes to fix Vitruvion with a stare. Her jaw tightened, hands curling into fists. In her mind she clearly thought, You're a bastard.

Raising his chin he turned his attention back to Ventrua. Then, with no words, he pushed his conciousness through the ring at his third finger. Through it he found the resolute, swearing kenku, knowing in her heart nothing could stop him.

Agony ripped up her spine, knocking her backwards to sprawl on the sofa. Empty gasps came from her strangled throat as cold, biting pain exploded into her head. Like a thousand thundering drums her inside beat raucously and she was screaming silently.

Hells, hells, hells. Like a primordial form she bent and squirmed as her limbs unceremoniously twisted without her command. Tightly she tried to bring herself back into a sitting position, forcing her backbone to straighten once more, but instead she became hunched. She sat there, fists to her stomach, grunting in breaths as the excruciating pain slowly ebbed away.

"Do you doubt me now, sister?" Vitruvion's voice said with a spiteful note. "Do you doubt that I cannot control her? That she cannot earn my trust?"

I hate you, Avis thought, throwing the words towards him. But she knew in her heart she now hated Ventrua more.

"That is us done for now," Vitruvion stood, ire written into every perfect curve of his face. "I will be in the east part of the city. Raevin, you will give Stare a thorough show of the Hollow today, from the building to the Hells. After that, Stare, return here and Mesis will show you the details you are to be responsible for from now on." He spoke without looking at anyone but his sister, disgust coming slowly into his eyes. "Ventrua, I would appreciate it if from now on you do not doubt me and what I am willing to do."

With that he stormed out of the room, fire in him. Avis kept her eyes fixed on the floor, gaining back her breath as her body recovered from its torment. It was not long until she heard Ventrua let out a sigh and stride out of the room herself, making curses to her brother.

Fin.

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
07-26-17, 12:19 PM
Stare receives 3570 EXP and receives a masterwork Mythril dagger and a masterwork Plynt dagger.

Please note that the 70 GP shortfall for the spoils has been funded by conversion of 56 EXP to GP. The EXP earned above is after conversion has been taken into account.

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
07-27-17, 09:53 AM
All rewards added!