PDA

View Full Version : Pursuit of a Shadow {solo}

Doppelganger
12-01-06, 02:51 AM
As my character is, in actuality, two characters, this 'solo' quest will play out a little differently than others. I'll be alternating posts between the perspective of the 'real' Eltrian and the 'shadow' Eltrian. To make it easier for the reader to keep track of which perspective they're reading, I'll put every other post in the "Dark slate gray" color (which I hope will be pretty easy to see in each of the different forum layouts, though those of you who use 'Dark' may find it easier to switch to 'evonature' or 'default'.)

It was late afternoon when Eltrian dragged himself wearily into the town of Uthia, near the border of Scara Brae’s Brokenthorn Forest. All that day, he had tracked his shadow through the forest to the west, and he was beginning to worry that he would have to spend the night among the trees again. The occasional night out in the wild was fine; the cool, damp air beneath the branches was refreshing, and he slept more restfully there than anyplace else. But too many nights outside in a row left Eltrian in want of a soft bed in a warm room where he could rest after a hot meal.

Uthia was quiet as the sun’s rays began to angle more steeply, casting long shadows framed in orange light along the ground. The activities of the day were coming to a close as twilight drew near; soon, nighttime would breathe a different life into the small town as workers sat down to drink, eat, and trade stories from their day.

Eltrian tried not to attract too much attention; there was never any way to know how easily he’d be recognized, and Scara Brae’s close alliance with Corone kept him constantly vigilant for any figures of authority whose gaze lingered on him too long. He could not afford to go back to Corone, not yet, and was reminded again that eventually he would need to leave Scara Brae as well. He preferred not to linger in the house of his enemy’s ally. For now, however, only a few townsfolk walked the streets, and while one or two eyed him suspiciously none approached.

Making his way to a nearby tavern, he examined its façade. The sign was a green cutout of a tall tree, bearing the words “Oak Tree Inn” meticulously painted in gold across its branches. Eltrian stepped inside; as he expected, the inn was like most others to be found in Scara Brae, and anywhere else for that matter. Dark wooden tables, a long bar with a portly, balding bartender, and a smattering of grungy looking men hiding from the rays of the waning sun. Several of these looked up as he came in, but quickly returned to their conversations.

Eltrian slumped down at the bar, resting his elbows on its edge and laying one arm over the other. Expecting at least a greeting from the bartender, instead he found himself being pointedly ignored. The little man behind the bar stood off to one side, peering at Eltrian from the corner of his eye as he continued to polish a glass that was already more than clean enough. Eltrian was about to say something when he felt a presence behind him.

Two of the men who, moments ago, were seated at a corner table, now stood next to Eltrian’s bar stool, cutting off his escape. One was short and stocky, bald with his eyes set close together. He wore only a vest on his upper body, apparently letting his well-muscled arms provide an introduction on his behalf. The other was a bit more… withered; Eltrian guessed he was in his forties, but those forty years must have been unkind ones to produce the wrinkled face, stringy hair, and yellowed teeth that now stood before him.

The men stared at Eltrian. Eltrian blinked.

“Have our money already, do you?” asked the thinner man in a voice that sounded even more withered than he looked, “That was faster than you mentioned. You said eight o’clock, so I was going to send Bernard here after you at six. No offense, of course, but usually when someone says something like that, it means they’re about to skip town. Good thing for you, you’re a man of your word. And low and behold, here you are before the money’s even due!” The man slapped Eltrian companionably on the back and offered what was probably supposed to be a sincere smile.

Eltrian peered first at Bernard, who scrunched up his face, giving himself the squash-nosed appearance of a pug dog. He turned his face to the other man, and stared at him blankly for a moment.

“Do I know you two?” Eltrian asked finally.

“Aw, now don’t start playing games with us, Eltrian. You spent the better part of the day trying to do that, and that’s how you ended up owing so much. How could you have forgotten your pals Bernard and Tabor, after we were kind enough to cover you for the last few hands of the game?”

Eltrian cleared his throat. “And… exactly how much do you say I owe?”

Bernard leaned in closer, scrunching up his face even more. “Sixty-five gold, twelve silver, and four copper pieces.”

Eltrian nodded slowly as if pondering this amount. “Look, Tabor and… Bertram, was it? I know how this is going to sound, but I’m not who you think I am. You’re making a mistake.”

Tabor drew himself up to his full height indignantly. “Is that so? So you are not Eltrian Cadarius from the town of Jadet on the continent of Corone? And you did not play a series of card games with Bernard and myself earlier today, during which time you lost every hand and later promised to get us the money you owe by eight o’clock tonight?”

“Hmm… Yes to the first part, no to the second. Please, gentlemen, the man you saw earlier was an imposter, trying to make me look bad. The only reason he didn’t kill you was so you’d cause trouble for me later on, so just be glad that you’ve still got your lives and leave me alone.” With that, Eltrian turned back around and tried to catch the attention of the bartender.

Bernard quickly grabbed the collar of Eltrian’s jacket and hoisted him up from his seat, shoving him back against the bar. “Do you think we’re stupid or something?”

“Don’t ask questions if you know you won’t like the answer,” Eltrian snapped back, prying Bernard’s hands off his jacket, “I told you that the man you saw earlier was an impostor. I don’t care if you believe it or not. I just came in here for a drink and a place to sleep. You want your money, you head to the next town and catch the man posing as me. I want nothing to do with you.”

Snarling, Bernard knelt down momentarily to retrieve a knife from his boot, but before he could rise fully, Eltrian’s knee found its way to the man’s ribcage. Winded, Bernard reeled from the blow. Eltrian followed up quickly with an uppercut to the jaw, and watched as Bernard toppled backwards to the floor.

Catching a hint of movement out of the corner of his eye, Eltrian stepped back quickly and drew his sword from its scabbard. Its tip came to rest near Tabor’s throat, and the man froze where he stood.

“I told you the truth,” Eltrian said finally, “It is not my responsibility to convince you of that, it is your responsibility to realize it. I am not the man you are looking for. Next time, don’t believe your eyes so easily.”

Backing away slowly, Eltrian sheathed his sword and made for the building’s rear entrance, emerging in an alleyway. By now, the sun’s last rays were gone, though the sky still clung to the last pinkish hues of twilight. Wrapping himself in his cape, he made his way quickly towards the street.

Doppelganger
12-04-06, 01:54 AM
It was late afternoon when Eltrian at last made his way into the town of Olme, near the border of Scara Brae’s Brokenthorn Forest. One more boring town, not much different than the last one. But he never failed to stop at a town or village he came across; even the smallest village, he discovered, could provide some entertainment if provoked enough. And always, it left clear tracks for him to follow. That was the really enjoyable part; the knowledge that no matter what he did, he would never be the one to take the fall. For inevitably, his shadow would wander in after him and get caught up in the mess left behind.

Eltrian knew that eventually, he would have to turn and face his counterpart, but that time hadn’t arrived yet. He was waiting; waiting for some way to gain an advantage over his shadow-self. They were linked, and there was no denying that. One Eltrian didn’t have to confront the other for them both to be aware of each other’s abilities. They knew each other’s tactics, skills, powers, and weaknesses. Were Eltrian to turn and attack his shadow head-on, it would end in a draw… and before he resorted to that, he would seek out a way to rid himself of his cursed twin without perishing in the process.

”It’s strange,” Eltrian mused as he trod the quiet streets, shooting the occasional friendly smile at passers-by, ”To think how the game has changed. Now that we’re both aware of each other… we’re both out to win. So we chase each other around the continent, until we run out of places to run. And then…? A new continent? The world is vast, and could let our chase continue for a long time.”

Eltrian found his way to Olme’s obligatory tavern, wondering briefly why it was that humankind could not seem to establish any kind of permanent settlement without an ample supply of liquor. Greeted upon entrance by a pretty blonde waitress, he slumped down at a table and ordered an ale. The tavern itself was just beginning to fill, as the last fingers of sunlight dragged themselves across the landscape. Among the newcomers was a happy-looking couple, most likely in their early twenties, surrounded by a group of friends. The volume inside the bar suddenly jumped threefold with their arrival, a multitude of conversations flitting between them at speeds few outsiders could hope to track. Eltrian focused instead on the couple as the waitress delivered his drink, sipping it slowly while watching their movements. He was beginning to get an idea about trouble to create in this town; hopefully, it would keep the shadow that tracked him occupied for a good long while. It was a bit early to start anything, but Eltrian didn’t want to risk letting his moment pass.

He watched as the couple parted with a kiss long enough for the girl, a slender brunette, to make her way to the bar, presumably to order drinks. Moving quickly, Eltrian situated himself next to her, wrapping an arm comfortably around her shoulder.

“I’ve missed you, shweetheart,” he oozed, slurring his words to create the illusion of inebriation, “Where have you been all this time? I was tho shad when you left… An’ now you’re here! Gimme a kiss!” Eltrian belched lewdly and leaned towards her, lips puckered.

Starting, the woman shrieked and tried to push Eltrian off, quickly catching the attention of her beau. He and a couple of the other men in the group leapt up from their table, rushing to the young woman’s defense.

“Hey!” the first called sharply, “What do you think you’re doing? Get your hands off my wife!”

Eltrian stopped short and screwed up his face in mock concentration, staring first at the man nearby and then at the woman prying his arm from her shoulder.

“Wife?” He asked slowly, “You… You’re married? How could you do thish to me? You told me you loved me, and then you ran off and married another man?”

“Jeanette, what’s going on here?” the young man demanded, “Do you know him?”

“No! Theo, I swear I’ve never seen him before!” the girl answered helplessly, “Make him leave me alone, he was trying to kiss me!”

“Jeanette, what do you mean you’se never seen me before?” Eltrian interjected, maintaining the slur of a drunkard, “What about all thoshe nights we spent together, planning our future? I can’t believe you’d pretend that didn’t ha-happen!” Here, he broke into choked sobs, wiping at his eyes with his sleeve. Suddenly, he flung his arms around the startled young lady and began to bawl raucously.

“Alright, that’s enough!” Theo shouted, prying Jeanette free with the help of another man from their group, “I don’t know who you are, mister, but I think you better leave. If my wife says she’s never met you, then she’s never met you. Touch her again and it’ll be trouble.”

Eltrian’s eyes flared as he rose from his seat. “YOU! You stole her from me! You took my Jeanette away from me!”

Eltrian lunged for Theo, tackling him to the hardwood floor. In a flash, two men grabbed him from either side, one to an arm, and pulled Eltrian off, trying to haul him out the door. In a sudden burst of strength, he threw one to the ground and delivered an uppercut to the other’s jaw, watching as he toppled backwards to the floor.

In the interim, a number of the tavern’s patrons rushed to Theo’s aid, advancing in a broad semicircle towards Eltrian; before he was surrounded, Eltrian’s schiavona flashed from its scabbard, and he began making short thrusts at his assailants to keep them at bay.

“Jeanette, my love,” he called fanatically across the crowd as he worked his way to the door, “I will come back for you! Never forget Eltrian Cadarius, for I shall return soon to win you back from thish… thish… scoundrel! Let him call the guards, let him call his allies, I shall slay them all to win your love again!”

With that, he turned and dashed out the door, taking off down the street.

The tavern settled down a bit, and people began to return to their seats. Theo called over one of his friends, and spoke to him in a low voice.

“Alert the town’s patrol to keep their eyes open for that man. I don’t know what he’s up to, but I don’t want to see him here again.”

Nodding silently, the man slipped out into the night as the atmosphere in the tavern returned to normal.

“If Eltrian Cadarius shows his face in Olme again,” Theo muttered to himself, “I’ll see him killed myself.”

Doppelganger
12-06-06, 10:30 PM
A scant moment after Eltrian’s eventful departure, three members of Uthia’s guard reached the Oak Tree Inn, summoned by the bartender. Two followed Eltrian into the alley, while the third remained to question those still present.

“I’m telling you, he attacked me!” Bernard grumbled, still rubbing his sore jaw.

Wringing his hands, Tabor sidled up beside his companion, trying his best to appear traumatized. “It’s true, sir, we were only trying to collect money he owed us, nothing more. Ask anyone here, we were perfectly considerate,” he wheezed.

The guardsman stood with his arms crossed, eying the two men before him carefully. He had spent many years protecting this town from all manner of criminals, and there were few people in Uthia he didn’t know firsthand. Usually a quiet town, he and his fellows kept the townspeople in line, and he didn’t appreciate having some outsider stirring up trouble.

“Look, Tabor, I know you were gambling, and I know you cheated. So the fact that this guy doesn’t want to pay you is fine with me. But you weren’t the only one to have a problem with him, so I’ll add this to the list.”

“Cheating?” Tabor’s voice took on an injured tone, “You do me a disservice! I never-“

“What else has he done?” Bernard interrupted, pre-empting his friend’s chance to talk himself into trouble of his own.

“He’s been a busy man,” the guard answered, beginning to stroll towards the back door as he spoke, “He was caught stealing a few times, twice from old man Toma’s grocery. He picked a couple fights, one of them with one of my guards. And you’re not the only one he’s gambled with during the last few days, though you might be the only one who’s a better cheater than he is. Must say I’m surprised, if I was him I’d have skipped town long ago.” He paused and peered into the alley. “I’d better get after him myself. Now you two stay out of trouble, or I’ll be right back here as soon as this Cadarius character’s caught.”

Tabor began to say something but Bernard stopped him with a quick elbow to the ribs as the guard slipped into the alleyway.

The sounds of pursuit drifted down the alley behind him as Eltrian snaked his way between a series of buildings. The town was alert to his presence; a drawback of small places like this was that it was difficult to blend in amongst people who had known each other their entire lives. Much of Uthia’s guardsmen were patrolling the streets, along with a few of the more courageous villagers. Eltrian realized, with a feeling of what may have been pride, that he must be the worst criminal the town had seen in many years to bring them out in such force.

Grimacing to himself, Eltrian decided his only option was to return once more to the forest where he could hide more easily, and make his way to the next town. The events of the day were enough to show him he was on the right track, and he knew his shadow-self couldn’t be far away.

Suddenly, he heard a shout of alarm; spinning around, he saw a man carrying a lantern in one hand and pointing a pitchfork in his direction with the other, directing attention to his position. A pair of Uthia guardsmen joined him quickly, and they began to sprint down the alley towards Eltrian. Running in the opposite direction, Eltrian found himself at a T-shaped intersection. A guard was advancing towards him from the right, so he bore left, driven out into the street. The shouting attracted more attention, and soon half a dozen pursuers were running down the road with swords or farm implements, chasing Eltrian with the fervor of hounds on a fox’s scent.

At his first opportunity, Eltrian resumed winding through alleys, but the further he moved from the center of town the wider these alleys became. He was rapidly approaching the edge of Uthia, and stopped to catch his breath alongside a darkened one-story home. Carefully watching the main road, his heart sank as he saw three guards, one bearing a torch, stroll casually past the house to a stop in the street. He waited, hoping they would move along, but instead they paused to talk amongst themselves. As they did so, the calls and shouts of those behind him began to grow louder as they caught up, and he realized he was trapped.

Glancing around wildly, Eltrian spotted a door in the wall where he now rested. Knowing he’d be caught should he stay in place, he tried the knob; it was unlocked, and he slipped inside, shutting the door quickly behind him.

Inside, the house was dark, but even in the faint starlight filtering through the windows he could tell he was in a kitchen. Not wanting to risk having his hunters find him inside, he began to look around for places to hide, opening cupboards and peering into closets without success. Suddenly, Eltrian became aware that the room was growing brighter, and began to hear footsteps drawing near. Backing quickly into a corner, Eltrian drew his sword and carefully watched the open door that led into the rest of the house.

“Is someone in here?” a soft voice called, followed immediately by the appearance of a young woman with short-cropped dark hair. Raising the candelabra she carried, the light fell on Eltrian and she gasped, nearly dropping the candles in surprise. “Who are you?”

Eltrian hesitated, mulling over the options open to him. Knowing that there were guards just outside, he didn’t want to frighten the woman and have her scream. He opted for the more diplomatic approach, slowly setting his schiavona on the hardwood floor and raising his hands. “It’s alright,” he said quietly, “I don’t want to hurt you.”

“Who are you?” she repeated, taking a step closer. The candles highlighted the soft curvature of her face and doe-like eyes wide with fear. “You… You’re the one they’re looking for, aren’t you? The criminal!”

“No! No, I…”

Eltrian hesitated once again, changing his mind mid-sentence.

“I am the one they’re looking for, but I am not a criminal.”

Slowly, carefully, the woman approached. Eltrian kept his hands raised where she could see them, trying to appear as non-threatening as possible.

“They say you’ve been causing problems for days, that you’ve stolen things and hurt people.”

He shook his head. “That’s what they think, but it wasn’t me. It’s all a mistake. But I don’t think they want to believe that, so I came in here to hide.”

The woman drew closer still, now easily within arms reach. Furrowing her brow in concentration, she looked Eltrian in the eye.

“I want you to tell me honestly,” she spoke slowly, “if you are guilty of the crimes with which you are accused. Have you stolen from or injured anyone in the town of Uthia?”

“No,” Eltrian answered quickly, and then thought for a moment. “Well, actually, I did punch someone named Bernard at the inn. But that’s all.”

A long moment passed as she continued to stare into his eyes. Finally, she giggled. “I believe you. And Bernard needs to be punched now and then anyway.”

Eltrian heaved a sigh of relief, lowering his hands at last and slumping to the floor. His mind caught on her words… “I believe you.” How long had it been since someone said that to him, and meant it? It was a long time, he knew for sure. Only one person came to mind. And she would never say it again.

The sound of voices outside the door broke his train of thought. The guards knew they chased him to this area, and they hadn’t seen him leave. It was only a matter of time before they started looking inside houses.

“Hey,” the woman said urgently at last, “you can’t stay here in the middle of the kitchen. They could find you. Come with me.” Pulling back a carpet near the stove, she revealed a trap door in the floor leading to the cellar below. “Stay down here until they go away.”

Picking up his sword, Eltrian followed, pulling back the trap door and descending the steep stairs leading into the dark. “Thank you for your help. Can I at least ask your name?”

“I’m Madeline,” she answered absently, eyes flitting to the windows as torchlight became visible outside.

“My name is Eltrian. I don’t know how to thank y-“

“Just get down there!” she hissed, practically closing the trap door on his head. Quickly, she drew the rug back into place and sat down at her kitchen table just as a guard knocked at the door.

Eltrian listened to the muffled voices filtering down from the room above him, and held his breath as heavy boot-steps paced the floor. After a few minutes, the thumps retreated, and he heard the door close once more. Exhaling for what felt like the first time that night, Eltrian leaned himself against the cool wall of the cellar.

Madeline opened the hatch quietly, poking her head down into the basement room.
“I sent the guards away; they probably won’t be back tonight. But you’d better sleep down here anyway, and you’d best leave before dawn. Goodnight, Eltrian."

“Thank you, Mad-" he began, but was cut off as she closed the door once again. Shrugging, he removed his cape and spread it on the ground, laying down to sleep. At last, the exhaustion of the day caught up with him, and he was asleep as soon as his eyes closed.

Taskmienster
06-13-09, 02:12 PM
This thread has been sitting for a full year. Since no response has been made to create activity I am going to be moving this. If you would like it to be reopened please feel free to PM myself or another admin and they will be able to move it for you back to Scara Brae.