PDA

View Full Version : The Fountain.

Ithermoss
12-01-06, 11:09 PM
New film by Darren Aronofsky. Just curious, what is your interpretation? I don't want to read something you read off of wikipedia. What is your take on the film.

Cyrus the virus
12-01-06, 11:14 PM
Introduction!? Baha! Noob.

I don't know much about it, really. All I know is what I heard a few months ago about it, which consists of... It's about the fountain of youth and stuff.

Reiko
12-01-06, 11:18 PM
yeah I heard about it. An interesting sci-fi idea but it seems to be a bit too artsy for my taste. I had my fill with with 2001, the book feels quicker paced than the movie. Also the 3 plot line idea just seems to be overkill a bit. though I might watch it on DVD, I just don't see myself staying up through out the movie.

Ithermoss
12-02-06, 01:03 PM
Oh fuck. Wrong forum. Aw fuck. That's embarassing.

After seeing it, calling it "too artsy" is like suggesting that Requiem for a Dream was "too depressing." It's not a movie just for a movie's sake. It's not sci fi in the same sense that 2001 was sci fi, nor is it a historical retelling of actual events. This is a film that actually gets a message across, instead of merely telling a story.

Reiko, I wouldn't be so hasty in judging something you've not actually seen yet. The directing is done in such a way that "three storylines" are actually the exact same one. It's a massive parallel, not an attempt to tell three stories at the same time.

Ashiakin
12-02-06, 06:01 PM
I really appreciated it. It takes a lot of courage to risk looking silly in order to make a movie like The Fountain. I'm sure there's all sorts of interpretations about it. I noticed several things while watching it. Like, "oh neat, the ring is a circle like the Mayan calender" and "when he starts a shot upside-down then flips it forward when something travels past the camera, he's showing how something can appear to progress in a straight line, but actually turns like it's a circle."

But I never tried to put them into anything connecting or coherent. I don't see the point. Aronofsky and Rachel Weisz are dating and have a child together. This movie was a love song for Rachel Weisz. Singers and bands write love songs for people they care about all the time, but whenever romance is dealt with in a movie it's always so fake and commercial. You know the writers were thinking about money and not someone they loved when they wrote the script. But The Fountain isn't like that. Even if it's a little uneven, you get the idea that Aronofsky really believed and cared about what he was saying. I'm going to risk looking like a pussy and say I find that touching--and comforting that there's a filmmaker in the world who has the guts to make a movie like this.