PDA

View Full Version : nintendo wii?

galadra
12-06-06, 02:05 PM
I didn't see ANY threads about the nintendo wii.... at all.

but to start things off, I waited in line from the day befoer it came out, up unti it came out, camping out in front of best buy and had a BLAST! we pulled cars up and played super smash bros. in the back of them and smoked my hookah, even played some guitar hero and got to talk to two friendly cops!

I got a copy of the wii and the new zelda, but all the controllers were taken waaaay before I even got there, so I didn't get any extras... (;_;)

I really like wii sports, and zelda is just (ah!) amazing. really liking the graphics, the storyline, the characters, and using the new controllers. im in the temple of time right now, just got in, and it sounds like the "temple of many hard puzzles" to me, but i guess i'll find out later :D

anyone else have zelda? if so, how far in are you?

any other wii-related thoughts?

AdventWings
12-06-06, 02:15 PM
*Crickets chirp*

...Uh, OK? I'll start something...

I don't have a Wii yet, though I doubt I'll even have enough money to actually buy one, but it looks like a nice system despite the rather... ah... "odd" name.

...Yeah, I'll stop there. It's hard to write a review when you haven't even seen the real thing...

*Crickets resume chirping*

hamnat
12-06-06, 04:58 PM
I think it looks promising....but I've always been a fan of Live-Action Swordplay and the like. I d wonder what the name means...and where it comes from...

galadra
12-06-06, 05:02 PM
I think it looks promising....but I've always been a fan of Live-Action Swordplay and the like. I d wonder what the name means...and where it comes from...

You might like Call of Duty and/or Red Steel then. :P

Artifex Felicis
12-06-06, 05:11 PM
Though I've only played Wii Sports, I have to say it's pretty awesome. It shouldn't be, but it is. Honestly, who would have thought that actually swinging in virtual tennis would be so much fun and so interacting.

As for the new Zelda, I haven't played it, but I've heard good things. Sadly, the Wii I bought I can't have until Christmas, but still, nice thing to know I'm getting.

Letho
12-06-06, 05:33 PM
There is actually a thread about all the next-gen consoles here (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?t=3269) in case you want to throw in your two cents, Galadra.

As for Wii... I mentioned my thoughts on it in the aforementioned thread. I think I'll pass on it, just as I passed on pretty much every console from Nintendo.

Reiko
12-06-06, 08:46 PM
Well I'm definitely not getting a Wii for a couple of months because it's just a frustrating mess at this time of year. Also I'm sitting on the fence on the Wii for it seem that 3rd party development is more curious experimentation than trying to make a really good game. Zelda's cool but I really don't care for the control system, there's no way it'd work in my room and the fact that it seems more like a fad than a serious system.

Atzar
12-06-06, 09:12 PM
I question the controls when used in more 'ordinary' games. It's good in Zelda; you have to swing a sword, that works perfectly. But will they make it work in games like Mario, where there aren't any immediately-noticeable ways to take advantage of the unique controls?

galadra
12-06-06, 10:12 PM
I question the controls when used in more 'ordinary' games. It's good in Zelda; you have to swing a sword, that works perfectly. But will they make it work in games like Mario, where there aren't any immediately-noticeable ways to take advantage of the unique controls?

hmm, i dunno. i can't wait to see the new super smash bros. though. i'm really wondering how the controls'll work for that.

though in mario, you could use it to target other players for.... whatever reason? (like in mario cart or something) also, they don't necessarily need to use all the new controls, as they do have a way to plug in your old controllers, as well as the old school remote controller, too.

though it's important to note that there haven't really been any problems with the wii at all, other than the wrist straps that broke or something like that.

Atzar
12-06-06, 10:18 PM
The wrist strap deal isn't even really a problem. It's just the result of the jackass portion of the population swinging the control around like a ball & chain.

galadra
12-06-06, 10:24 PM
hehehe, yeah it is.

did you see that video of the guy who bought a new tv for his wii, chucked his remote through it, and then tried suing nintendo? XD

hamnat
12-07-06, 04:31 AM
BEWARE MY FLAIL OF WII-ISH MIGHT!!!! I think that is what went threw their heads up until the strap broke:p

galadra
12-07-06, 07:45 AM
BEWARE MY FLAIL OF WII-ISH MIGHT!!!! I think that is what went threw their heads up until the strap broke:p

XD

threw their heads, indeed.

though i dont understand how those things could break.... i mean... they're pretty solid, have you ever felt one? i TRIED breaking one off of my wrist and... yeah. i couldn't, that's for sure.

nekoprince
12-07-06, 03:33 PM
PHEAR MY WIINJA SKILLS! *expertly destroys everything in reach*

I heard the new SSBM is gonna be using Gamecube controllers too. Or something like that. Either way, I'm sure they've thought about it. Nintedo wouldn't purposefully dig a hole to shoot a good franchise in

Atzar
12-07-06, 07:16 PM
PHEAR MY WIINJA SKILLS! *expertly destroys everything in reach*

I heard the new SSBM is gonna be using Gamecube controllers too. Or something like that. Either way, I'm sure they've thought about it. Nintedo wouldn't purposefully dig a hole to shoot a good franchise in

At least, I hope they wouldn't. SSB is indeed an excellent franchise, and would be one of about 3 reasons I'd consider the Wii.

What they've done with Donkey Kong, however, makes me question the last sentence. They shot one of my favorite Nintendo concepts in the foot with the GameCube DK titles.

Jahl
12-07-06, 07:50 PM

actually, the remote section of the nunchuck for the controls turns sideways to double as a NES style controller for the other 'ordinary' games. The Wii is a beautiful thing, and anyone who shuns it for the whole interactive portion is sheer ignorant (no offense) but honestly, who passes up something new because of other people's reviews. You are your own person.

Reiko
12-07-06, 09:28 PM
actually, the remote section of the nunchuck for the controls turns sideways to double as a NES style controller for the other 'ordinary' games. The Wii is a beautiful thing, and anyone who shuns it for the whole interactive portion is sheer ignorant (no offense) but honestly, who passes up something new because of other people's reviews. You are your own person.

yup and I'm a person that makes informed purchases, meaning that I do buy based off of other's reviews so i don't waste money. The wii looks like a fad and just doesn't have the internal hardware to really go much further than the unique controls.

galadra
12-08-06, 08:04 AM
yup and I'm a person that makes informed purchases, meaning that I do buy based off of other's reviews so i don't waste money. The wii looks like a fad and just doesn't have the internal hardware to really go much further than the unique controls.

though from what i understand, you should be able to surf the internet on it once they get that developed, and you can already send little emails back and forth between you and your other friends that have wiis. and im pretty sure you can play your friends in wii sports when you're at yourhouse and they're at their house. i see a lot of potential for the wii myself.

Elrundir
12-08-06, 08:14 AM
I've always trusted trying something rather than reading other people's reviews. Stores have Wii stations that you can play. That is beyond a shadow of a doubt better than reading anything that anyone, and I do mean anyone, will have to say about the system. Now, I've always been strongly anti-review but even so I do believe that hands-on experience is the only real way to go. So many wonderful games would never (and unfortunately, often do never) get played because of a couple of bad reviews - usually bad because of something insignificant like graphics or music.

galadra
12-08-06, 08:20 AM
I've always trusted trying something rather than reading other people's reviews. Stores have Wii stations that you can play. That is beyond a shadow of a doubt better than reading anything that anyone, and I do mean anyone, will have to say about the system. Now, I've always been strongly anti-review but even so I do believe that hands-on experience is the only real way to go. So many wonderful games would never (and unfortunately, often do never) get played because of a couple of bad reviews - usually bad because of something insignificant like graphics or music.

'tis very true. do you plan on getting one, or do you already have one?

Elrundir
12-08-06, 08:29 AM
Oh, I definitely plan to get one eventually. I've played it at my friend's house a couple of times now and I'm hooked. Unfortunately they're sold out absolutely everywhere (there was a 50-odd person lineup at Best Buy at 7:30 this morning when they got some in) so I'll probably have to wait until after Christmas.

grim137
12-14-06, 05:28 PM
If the launch of the 360 was any indication you'll probably have to wait a few months after the holidays to snag a wii at the stores and even then it will still be a pain in the ass to get.

Dissinger
12-14-06, 05:36 PM
There will be a third release of the Wii before christmas, good luck to ye few. At least they're pushing it farther rather than be SOny and decrease ship numbers before you even get a chance to get first shipment

Dissinger
12-14-06, 05:46 PM
though from what i understand, you should be able to surf the internet on it once they get that developed, and you can already send little emails back and forth between you and your other friends that have wiis. and im pretty sure you can play your friends in wii sports when you're at yourhouse and they're at their house. i see a lot of potential for the wii myself.

Be informed.

Wii will allow you to surf the internet form your couch using the Opera Browser. To anyone who gets a wii before July next year you can download this program before then for free. Afterwards it will cost Wii points. Also here's a list of older games you can purchase by Dec 30th by wii points to play the classics;

NES

Mario Bros
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong JR.
Ice Hockey
Pinball
Soccer
Tennis
Urban Champion
Wario's Woods
Baseball
Solomon's Key

TurboGraffix 16

Bonk's Adventure
Super STar Soldier
Victory
Bomberman 93
Dungeon Explorer

Snes

F-Zero
Sim CIty

Sega

SOnic the Hedgehog
ALtered Beast
Golden Axe
Columns
Ecco the Dolphin
Gunstar Heroes
Space Harrier 2
Toe Jam and Earl
Ristar
Dr. Robotniks Mean Bean Machine

N64

Super Mario 64

All those titles by the end of the month are downloadable. The internet is the actual internet but does require a Wi-Fi network. The normal Game CUbe controller works with Wii. There is a classic controller you can use instead of the Wii-chuck.

It also has a Weather CHannel and a News Channel built into it so you can keep up to date.

Top this there is serious issues with PS3 in the fact that you must have a specific television to make maximum use of HDTV it doesn't accept any old TV you must be at least 1080p with 60 Hertz otherwise it will show as 480p.

Also the controller is known to give out mid game and not allow you to do anything as it shuts down. It is not 100% backward compatible, infact you might want to keep your system around because they are going to have to take some time to figure out if its fixable. There is no official word on a fix yet.

AdventWings
12-18-06, 05:53 AM
More reason to keep your PS2 as your main system than these Next-Gen. ;)

Reliability does come first in my gaming desires, sir. Still... Armored Core 4 makes me wanna weep from lack of money... T^T

Letho
12-18-06, 05:56 AM
That's one good thing about living where I live. By the time the new stuff reaches us (and if it reaches us), they manage to fix all the little quirks and stuff. :D