PDA

View Full Version : Mapping Althanas((READ THIS!!))

Jahl
12-07-06, 11:06 AM
So... I was looking up information on a continent so that my quest would be accurate, and I started to think, "What would I do if i wanted to describe the journey from one continent to another precisely?" I got to thinking and came up with the question, "Has anyone mapped Althanas yet? And if not, then why not get someone to be charged with finding an artist and gathering information, then compiling it all into a nice, neat map of Althanas for anyone, new or old, to use as a guidline for their adventures?" I only suggest things that I'd be wiling to do myself, and I'd be more than happy to draw up a map if someone were to help me to gather all the geographical information. Someone like a mod, perhaps.

Séreméla
12-07-06, 11:25 AM
There is a map to althanas somewhere around here, I think it might be under the rules...I am too lazy to find the link to it but if I do and no one else gives it to you I'll send it to you

Belenus
12-07-06, 12:26 PM
I actually requested a map a little while back, the link's here. (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?t=3152)

Hope that helps :D

**Edit: This (http://www.althanas.com/images/maps/northalthanaspreview.jpg) is the link to the map itself, instead of the thread it was in, if that makes it easier.

Cyrus the virus
12-07-06, 05:47 PM
As cool as Santhalas is and all, I've always hated that map. It's beyond ugly.

Vorin
12-07-06, 05:58 PM
Maps aren't really suppose to be pretty. Functionality first and all.

Though we do need a map we can zoom in on a bit more. I can't really make out any city names.

Cyrus the virus
12-07-06, 06:01 PM
Why would you settle for a functional, ugly map, when we could potentially have a funtional, pretty map? Why do the fat chick when her hot redhead friend is already drunk?

Atzar
12-07-06, 06:03 PM
Why would you settle for a functional, ugly map, when we could potentially have a funtional, pretty map? Why do the fat chick when her hot redhead friend is already drunk?

((Off-topic)) Hahahahaha, I love the metaphor. Congratulations on that one.

Vorin
12-07-06, 06:05 PM
Why would you settle for a functional, ugly map, when we could potentially have a funtional, pretty map? Why do the fat chick when her hot redhead friend is already drunk? Because the hot chick is going to wake up the next morning, and you're going to realize she takes a lot of fucking work to do after that. Not many Althanians have skills with artistry, let alone map making. But if I saw a functional, pretty map, then I'd be damn well impressed.

Jahl
12-07-06, 06:34 PM
consider it a work in progress, any size that's preferrable?

Jahl
12-07-06, 07:30 PM
for some odd reason its not letting me add atachments, but i need help identifying cities and what not (stuff not legible in the original map)

Jahl
12-07-06, 07:41 PM
there we are, those are the places that need to be identified, and ive also attached a preview of the new map

Cyrus the virus
12-07-06, 09:15 PM
Looks pretty good so far, yo. Keep in mind that as of now, the map is just a project of yours. We have no way of knowing if we're going to adopt it as the official map once it's complete.

Just making sure you know :p

As for those places, I can't quite help you.

Jahl
12-07-06, 09:23 PM
sure i have no expectations, just trying to put forth my input for the best possible understanding

AdventWings
12-08-06, 01:07 AM
Response to Post #11:

Ee~yeah. That's Alerar. I blame that on the continent writer's lack of Zoomed-in View. ;)

I can help with that. Gimme a moment to gather my words together...

1. Etheria Port. Even though it's described as being to the South of Ettermire, the current map apparently has it in the West. So that needs to be fixed - either in the text or in the map. *Glances at Vorin*

2. L' Renor Harlilen (The Black Steppe)

3. Mountains of Dawn (Which is the Mountains of Twilight for the Raiaeran)

4. Ettermire (What you see on the map is the castle where Queen Valsharess rules from)

5. Fields of Khu'fein.

I'm not entirely sure what 6 and 7 are, so you'll need to get with Vorin and Santh on that.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Sheex
12-08-06, 02:15 AM

Dude. That is totally a moral of life. Two points.

Witchblade
12-08-06, 07:15 AM
Hey, it's looking pretty good so far.

Keep the Tular Plains area blank for now as the region is in a transitional phase.

Ther
12-08-06, 06:29 PM
The only official maps have to go through the staff, of course, but anyone that can make a prettier version of what's currently up is certainly welcome to do so.

I expect the current map to be updated with CC3, though, which looks to be the new standard in fantasy cartography.

Jahl
12-09-06, 03:47 PM
I guess i'll just take my step back out then, because I have no intention of paying another $300 dollars just to buy another program even if it is for mapping. Thanks for the heads up though, i'd hate to have finished just to have found out that there was no possible way that it would even have been considered.

But thank you everyone for the help.

AdventWings
12-09-06, 10:12 PM
Hey, it could be considered if it's pretty and still has the same landmark locations as the Official Map. The Staff will review it and see if it's good enough. That's all.

But, hey. No pressure on your end. :)

Ther
12-09-06, 10:24 PM
I guess i'll just take my step back out then, because I have no intention of paying another $300 dollars just to buy another program even if it is for mapping. Thanks for the heads up though, i'd hate to have finished just to have found out that there was no possible way that it would even have been considered.

But thank you everyone for the help.

Uh, I just implied that it WOULD be considered...

The only official maps have to go through the staff, of course, but anyone that can make a prettier version of what's currently up is certainly welcome to do so.

Jahl
12-09-06, 11:02 PM
I expect the current map to be updated with CC3, though, which looks to be the new standard in fantasy cartography.

I'm not saying that you attacked me or anything, i'm just saying that in comparison, my made from scratch photoshop map would be to CC3 as MS paint would be to photoshop, that's all. The CC3 map would look sooo much better and much more consistent. Sorry if the wrong message got across

Witchblade
12-10-06, 10:33 AM
Don't worry about Santh, he's all scary like that.

I think you should continue to work on your map, after all, Santh's a pretty busy guy and if he's saying he'll be the one to make the new map, I dunno when he'll get around to it. >.>

Besides, we like player projects, it lets us know how much you guys really love this place. :p