PDA

View Full Version : Should abilities/skills be allowed after quests?

Daven Logarthu
12-10-06, 09:26 PM
Simple question and discussion. Should roleplayers be allowed to use abilities in quests that they have learned through roleplaying before their next level up?

Of course, it would have to temporarily approved by the judging staff and is always subject to approval by the RoG staff at the next level up. However, if an ability is learned in a quest, why should the person be hindered because of a technicality? Especially if the ability/skill is essential to their storyline and needs to be used in their next quest?

Comments and feedback on the subject are welcomed and encouraged.

Reiko
12-10-06, 09:34 PM
actually it already is allowed. If you get a skill or ability as a spoil or any other spoil then they're fair game for quests. Though battles are a different in that I've heard an ROG mod need to approve the character with that ability, though I'm sure if your opponent consents then it's all good.

Daven Logarthu
12-10-06, 09:38 PM
Not according to Cyrus in this (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?t=3330&page=2) thread.

Cyrus the virus
12-10-06, 09:52 PM
I can't see how this was confusing... You power up when you gain a level. That's what levels are for. If we change that, there is zero purpose to levels. Not to mention that I could gain a different ability per quest, which is FOUR new abilities between level 0 and 1, and nobody could tell me otherwise unless they kept up with all of my quests.

Daven Logarthu
12-10-06, 09:56 PM
Require that any abilities that are used and that are not in the profile be listed in the persons signature with a link to thread where it was gained. That way, if the person uses the ability in the thread there is a link in the signature to what it does, etc. Plus, as always, it is subject to the final approval at the next level up. Also, judges will be able to see if you have gained any abilities in previous threads since your last level and can simply say, you should just wait until your next level.

EDIT: I view the level system more for the strength of the skills, abilities, etc and not when you should receive them.

Reiko
12-10-06, 09:57 PM
well that's odd. I hate it when they change the rules and say that's always been that way when it most certainly wasn't. Spoils that are rewarded are good for quests and I'm fine with the system for battles because the competitive nature needs more rules. But this is fishy and makes me angry that it has become this way.

Rajani Aishwara
12-10-06, 10:04 PM
That is strange. From what I've been told, and from what I've read it seems as though people can earn abilities at the end of quests.
I can't see how this was confusing... You power up when you gain a level. That's what levels are for. If we change that, there is zero purpose to levels. I thought the purpose to levels was to pretty much check in with the RoG about your character's progress so far, and the RoG mods retain the right to take away or tone down anything that might not be appropriate. If what you say is correct then it's not fair that Istien University functions the way it does. I've been reading alot of these older players' profiles and it seems as though they have gained abilities between levels.

Even if I'm mistaken in my observation, I think it's much more realistic to grant players skills/abilities as spoils just as they are granted upgraded items and money to upgrade items or enchanted items that grant abilities (if the point isn't clear yet then here it is... We'll find our way around this, just as those before us did). It promotes a more organic growth of a character. The levels would still be usefull as checkpoints for moderators to make sure we're not gaining too much power.

Reiko
12-10-06, 10:16 PM
That is strange. From what I've been told, and from what I've read it seems as though people can earn abilities at the end of quests. I thought the purpose to levels was to pretty much check in with the RoG about your character's progress so far, and the RoG mods retain the right to take away or tone down anything that might not be appropriate. If what you say is correct then how it's not fair that Istien University functions the way it does. I've been reading alot of these older players' profiles and it seems as though they have gained abilities between levels.

oh they and I have and it's fairly common as it's the best way to move characters forward in their plot. This is nothing more than a power trip that Althanas will hopefully lead to nowhere. Spoils can be denied and toned down by the judges to keep things from getting out of hand and the ROG are there to trim things down if it gets out of hand at a level up. And quests shouldn't matter, power gaming is much like lazy RPing, if you don't like it then don't RP with that person and it's solved.

Serilliant
12-10-06, 10:39 PM
We apologize for the confusion. The moderators and administrators have discussed the situation and have arrived at a conclusion that I'm sure will please most people.

The new official stance is posted in the original thread on the issue here: http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?t=3330&page=3. Please direct all discussion to that thread. Thanks.