PDA

View Full Version : Character Help

Talafein Do'Urden
12-25-06, 02:45 PM
I would like to know, before I submit my character, is it alright to use well known characters in your profile? Not to be the actual character, but to be related to him or something?

If this is unclear, please reply asking a question about it, and I'll try to clarify as best I can.

Letho
12-25-06, 03:08 PM
The rules state the following:
You cannot copy other previously made characters, whether they are famous or not. You cannot role-play as Luke Skywalker, or Legolas, or even Elton John. Your character must be your creation and yours alone. However, you may borrow or use parts of your favorite character, meaning that you can make a character that is based loosely off of him or her, provided you at least use an original name and at least make it so that the character you are registering isn't recognizable as a character from another setting.Now that I look at it, it's rather vague on the issue at hand. However, when you think about it, you will still be using an existing character (I'm guessing you're aiming at good ole Drizzt here given the username), only he would be used as an NPC in the history of your character. Therefore, you are basically using an existing character by changing the original story to give birth to your character. I think the answer to your question is no.

Why would you want to do that anyways? Althanas is its own world, not a part of Forgotten Realms or something.

Rok the Blade
12-25-06, 03:09 PM
If you're talking about Drizzt Do'Urden or his father Zaknafein Do'Urden or Malice Do'Urden or any others of the like, i'd recommend not. To me, it would dock points off of creativity. But mainly, the Drizzt character doesn't exist in Althanas, because there is no such thing as the "Underdark."

Now, I am no official mod or anything, but I think that is correct. If a mod or anyone with authority thinks otherwise, please clear this up for Talafein's sake, and mine.

I suppose you 'could' do something like that. You'll see how some characters are from Earth as we know it, and somehow came to Althanas. So maybe if you say your character is from Faerun or something like that and found his/her way here then I don't see much trouble with that.

Just don't base your skills or abilities off another character, like for example: "Talafein has the enhanced agility of a drow, like Drizzt" because for one, that's unoriginal(not really a bad thing, though, I guess) and two, some people don't know who Drizzt is so you can't really say that. If you were to refer to any of those characters, i'd make it something about your History, rather than referring to them in regards to your skills and abilities.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: Aww I see Letho beat me to the punch. I would take his advice over mine, seeing as how he's an admin. *Shakes fist at Letho* dang you!