PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Race to Roleplay

Vorin
12-25-06, 10:08 PM
There are so many races out there for your character, so how do you choose? Which race is your favorite for fantasy roleplay? Is it a classic? Your own invention? What attributes do you give to these races that may be different?

Vote and Post, please try to explain!

Choose more than once if you feel you cannot make a firm decision. Just explain why it was hard.

Letho
12-25-06, 10:33 PM
Humans all the way. I've never created a character that wasn't a human (except Rheawien who is a half-elf). I'm most comfortable with humans. You kind of get a clean slate with them and you can take them in almost any direction you want. On top of that, none of the other races is really something I wish to rp. Perhaps that is a wrong approach, because a good writer should work with a wide variety of characters, but I just can't imagine myself playing a drow or an elf. Maybe a dwarf, because there are so few of them and I need a character that would wield a hammer. :cool:

Djakara
12-25-06, 10:35 PM
I imagine I would have difficulties playing a character that was so physically different from my own, so I would like humans and elves, which I think I could relate to.

Artifex Felicis
12-25-06, 10:53 PM
I'm that one whose voted furry so far. Go Fuzzy Stuff!

I mostly like to play around with them because of the diffrent routes I can take that normally wouldn't be availible with most of the other races, It's one thing to say tha "he moved like a cat" for example, and to have him actually deal with it all the time. Not to mention the fact he probably wouldn't be accepted everywhere. . There's a lot of give and take witht hem, and it also brings along some rather fun tricks to use. A lot of human skills have been done before, and I don't think I could creative enough to really make one interesting enough in that sense WITHOUT adding something non-human. Only exception is Amy, and even she's kinda floundering a bit at the moment.

Still, there are something things I've always wanted to really try out and explore with Leon that I haven't gotten around too. I'll probably end up keep him around fro a good while before truly nmaking another main charector for me.

Lucien
12-25-06, 10:56 PM
Despite Vorin, Redeemer, Forsaken, and...like...another...Most of my characters have been human. It just adds more flaws, you know? Old age doesn't really effect the Elves or Dark Elves. Humans don't really have the strength or agility of other races either.

If there's anything I'm good at, it's flaws.

Reiko
12-25-06, 11:14 PM
hehe furries for me.

I dunno, I just think having part animal really suits my nature so it makes my characters feel closer to me.

Ataraxis
12-25-06, 11:17 PM
Bastard children of the fourth spatial dimension. 'Nuff said!

Zook Murnig
12-25-06, 11:32 PM
This is going to sound lazy, but it's too much work to play anything other than a human. I mean, think about it. Elves and dwarves live significantly longer lives than humans, which changes their worldviews a LOT. Not only that, but they have other racial characteristics, like senses and height and hardiness, that change their personalities. I can deal with the actual attributes just fine, but the mindset that goes along with them, I can't.

When I was younger and a really bad writer, I'd play characters like a three-tailed kitsune with what I called "tail-katars" and magic. Then there was the half-kitsune ninja that threw shuriken with his tail. I mean, furries can be fun to interact with, but to personally play them, it takes a certain kind of person to do it right. Reiko, for example, does exceedingly well with furries.

Basically, I write human characters because I stand by the old credo, "Write what you know." And I know magic, martial arts, and weapons fighting. And humans.

AdventWings
12-25-06, 11:54 PM
Humans and Furries. Heck, even though the Girls are humans, I'm a furry at heart. :D

I'll add more. Time to get to my *gasp* English class. =_=;

UPDATE: Bah. English classes are pretty boring when you're a judge here and they're studying about the differences between "Present Simple" and "Present Perfect" tenses. Of course, it was a fine refreshment but I've read over that too many times to be healthy. ;)

OK, on choosing role-playing race:

Humans are among the forerunners when it comes to "versatility" and "adaptability" though pays for it dearly by not having any advantages in specific fields. Or so the role-playing handicaps put it. Jack-of-all-Trades rarely excel in anything, after all. However, that's where all the beauty comes from, too. Short lifespan + inquisitive brains = drama material.

Furries. Why? 'Cuz they're cuddly and cute! XD

OK, seriously. Beastly races have that certain touch of animalistic quirks that some humans display though having extra appendages (fluffy upright ears and the occasional tail) can really help to add to the emotional display. Humans make faces - cats twitch their ears and tails. Myao~!

Cyrus the virus
12-26-06, 01:15 AM
As much as I like Luc, writing as Izvilvin is a more inventive experience for me. Drow have what elves have, except + coolness.

Dissinger
12-26-06, 04:37 AM
HUmans are fun to roleplay and easy since there is no stereotypes.

Drow are fun because I can play arrogance to the T.

Artificially created humans are fun because they are just so crazy and you can royally mess with someone's head when you make them realize they aren't "real".

Krugor
12-26-06, 08:48 AM
Undead! Mainly skeletons, but zombies could be fun too :p
Having to deal with the fact that you'll never live again is something interesting to roleplay, and the random body parts falling off is just too cool.

Chiroptera
12-26-06, 12:11 PM
Vampires are classy and so much fun to read. I picked "others" too, because I like races that break the mold.
Even though, yes, my character's race is fairly common. I like elves. Longevity rocks.

wolf
12-26-06, 12:40 PM
Furry/Beast

They're awesome, and I like describing the way they think and reasons for things like why they wag their tails, or bare their teeth, and stuff like that.

hamnat
12-26-06, 11:29 PM
Elves cause I just am aligned to an elvan personality. I just fit the elvan mindset. So does Shen :P

Dante
12-28-06, 07:19 AM
I picked furry because I have a weak spot for my first character because it was my first. Other then that, no particular reason.

I like writing with vampires. They're very versatile because vampires are open to interpretation. There aren't any well defined boundaries saying exactly what they are. And fangs are just so much fun.

Corvus MacCallum
12-28-06, 12:31 PM
Though I do humans a lot,I like to roleplay furries and beasts,not to mention scalies,its just the fun aspect of feral rage and instincts that have a stronger hold than in a human.

Point Soulularity
12-30-06, 01:14 AM
Other, simply because my crazy mind will end up warping them anyway. That time I made a character who was a beam of light is a good example of a character I made on another forum under the genre of "other".

Another one was a leaf, I think it was an Oak leaf. It was the same forum but some one else made it/him.

I went more humanesque for my character here 'cause he's been bugging me to get out. I need to sleep every once in a while after all. Any way, he's a Devil. True Devil, mind you. None of that "fallen angel" stuff. An example of a "true Devil" in recent works is Belair from BloodRayne.

I'm kinda delirious from sleep deprivation, so I might be rambling... Dammit, my sister's dog is whining in his sleep...

Negative
12-30-06, 08:51 AM
I would have to say I enjoy playing Drow the most. The arrogance, the malice, the hate. It's all natural in that race of character...it's like the perfect release at the end of a bad day. Being able to release all ones aggresion in a productive manner.

I do have an extreme soft spot for were-beasts because of the ability to play out that alternate personality. When I do a were-beast I base the character off of myself throwing in that personality I can't show to people because it would be deemed inappropriate, but when added to the feral, primal instincts of a were-beast...its just natural.

HikariAngel
12-30-06, 07:59 PM
A majority of my characters are angels because I absolutely love being able to fly around. Catgirls are the only furry characters I'll do, and even then I only have one (this account's charrie). Other than that, pretty much any race that has angel-esque wings is fair game.

Never vampires or dragons because they are both far too stereotypical of the noob that just read a novel and thinks he can pull off a decent vampire when he can't.

I'm sure you never have that problem here, though...

DakkonRyck
12-30-06, 08:09 PM
Any sort of made up race- though Dakkons appearance is similar to human with some small physical differences and many biological differences I've made other races farther away from the basic human construct- its always fun to create a culture and general behaviour parterns for them thats- different.

grim137
12-31-06, 01:10 PM
I picked vampire because like somebody said before me, there aren't any real defined barriers. The only downfall is that it can be easy to fall into stereotypes with the race.

Humans can also be fun to play due to their versatillity.

DakkonRyck
12-31-06, 01:13 PM
Humans also get the advantage of people being able to focus more on the character developement and skills- instead of the racial skills.

Sighter Tnailog
01-03-07, 04:34 AM
I have, as you may guess, a very special affinity for the elves. I find them fascinating, primarily because I like exploring the aspects of elves that make them seem the most human.

Lots of people like to make elves superheroes, really, and I admit that can be a fun thing to do, but I think finding ways to explore the vulnerable, mortal, and frail side of the otherwise noble and enduring elvenkind is a very rewarding way of writing. It makes my day.

And for the record, Cyrus, Drow are elves too. Just Elves that can't admit it.

Atzar
01-03-07, 01:55 PM
I just stick with humans. I tend to ignore racial flaws when I use other races, so to stick with good old humans just makes my writing that little bit more realistic.

DarkStrike
01-06-07, 05:02 PM
Angels much to my dismay.

You see my fascination in celestial creatures has caused me to lose creativity points on many accounts.

Kefziel
01-08-07, 04:23 PM
Nocturns, bitches. Nocturns rock your world.

Ashiakin
01-08-07, 04:36 PM
Beyond a doubt, humans. Other races can be okay, but I don't see the point in them unless you're trying to make a point about humans. Or if you just want to have fun.

Lou
01-08-07, 05:18 PM
Beyond a doubt, humans. Other races can be okay, but I don't see the point in them unless you're trying to make a point about humans. Or if you just want to have fun.

Perfect summary of how I feel as well. I've always liked humans because they have so many opportunities open to them and because they have, of course, the most comfortable point-of-view from which to play; anyway, other races just seem to be manifestations of some human attribute taken to an extreme.

Koran
01-08-07, 07:10 PM
Cyborg. Why?

Becuase it's human that has been perfected with modern mechanics and computer processing power - means they think and reacte faster - and they're ten times stronger and resliliant and just kick ass.

That and they're hard to kill.

Farmboy
01-08-07, 07:17 PM
Cyborg. Why?

Becuase it's human that has been perfected with modern mechanics and computer processing power - means they think and reacte faster - and they're ten times stronger and resliliant and just kick ass.

Yet, put them up against a seasoned human warrior/mage and they get pwnt.

Koran
01-08-07, 10:01 PM
Yet, put them up against a seasoned human warrior/mage and they get pwnt.

And if they themselves are a seasoned warrior or mage? O.o If it takes a seasoned warrior or mage to take out a 'simple' cyborg, what happens when it's seasoned? o.O

Scary thought. . .

Lucien
01-08-07, 10:03 PM
Put it up against Godhand.

Problem solved. No more Cyborg.

The Madd Hatter
01-08-07, 10:12 PM
I've had not-even-God-knows how many characters and only a handful of them have been anything that is close to a normal race. Another handful were human. The rest were something that resembled human or a humanoid race but was completely different. The most fun I ever had with a character was an animated teddy bear, however.

Like Ashiakin said, I make non-humans for the fun part, not the saying-something-about-humans part. It's all about the plot.

Rok the Blade
01-09-07, 03:06 PM
I prefer humans, usually. They've all been the good well-rounded type that you can make pretty much any type of character with. You don't see many dwarven mages around, or elven brutes. If you make some form of goblin character there's a good chance he/she won't be very bright. But a human can be anything you want. The only bad thing about a human is their terribly short lifespan when compared to other races. Though since all is possible here on Althanas, I find ways to make human characters that get around that short lifespan. I.e. Ravenok's Soul Stone.

Farmboy
01-09-07, 05:49 PM
Often, I like to stray outside the norm with my characters. Not racially per se, but when I do a certain race I try to add quirks that differ the stereotypes.

I.E. a dwarf that isn't outspoken, a drow that was raised by dwarves, an elf that is cruel-hearted after years of isolation, a half-elf newb to adventuring, and finally...

My human. I must admit, after writing a couple posts with Braden here, I've realized how much in depth I can go with the emotions. Simply because I've based him largely off of myself. I know how I would react to different situations, and I now know how I can play off the emotions to better the story/post I put up.

So all in all, I love the other races, but have a new-found appreciation for writing with humans. (I had one human before, but he was a psychotic earth mage hellbent on decimating all life.)

Twylyght
01-09-07, 06:59 PM
I almost always pick humans, just because they're basic and easy. The only other race I really pick is Elves, because they are decently close to humans. Other races like demons and spirits I don't like because they can be amazingly different. Some might have wings and a snout, another might be 100 feet tall with blonde pig tails and dolphin fins. Humans are humans. Sure, they have different hair/eye/skin color, but w/e, they're humans. Dwarves/Gnomes are short, therefore I do not RP them. In short, humans are the way to go, my friend.

Skie and Avery
01-10-07, 11:04 AM
Drow and demons are my favorites, and I adore werewolf characters.

Sorahn
01-10-07, 01:56 PM
other >: D

lol I put furry/beast too... <.<

Moonlit Raven
01-12-07, 10:26 PM
I'm particularly fond of half breed characters. Stereotypes can't truly be reinforced with them as they have one foot in one world and one foot in another. Generally I create a char that is torn, hating one part of themselves and their heritage.

Though, if I’m forced to pick just one race, vampire it is. I love the elegance and dark humor that is almost always present.

Hey manda, I'quelin Mori'Quessier naa ba Mori'Quessir. :D

Nova
01-13-07, 11:12 AM
Cyborg. Why?

or furry cyborg^^

the tail adds another limb to made into a cool gadget or awesome weapon, like a tail gun or something.

Karuka
01-16-07, 09:05 PM
>_>

<_<

Well...me, personally, I prefer to play Drow. I have a human character here, though, because I am so unaccustomed to using them that I figured it would be useful to have someone who thinks human for a change.

And I have Drow running around EVERYWHERE. Geeeeeeeeez.

^_^'

Nova
01-16-07, 10:26 PM
>_>

And I have Drow running around EVERYWHERE. Geeeeeeeeez.

^_^'
like me and furries^^

though I don't plan on playing humans any time soon. there's enough of them everywhere.

Slayer of the Rot
01-16-07, 10:30 PM
though I don't plan on playing humans any time soon. there's enough of them everywhere.

Racist!

I don't have a preference to race. The majority of my characters are human, though.

Karuka
01-16-07, 11:42 PM
Well, I don't really like playing humans, because in ordinary situations it feels so...limiting.

Why play a big ape when you could be a cunning fox, a noble eagle, a graceful swan, a cute chipmunk, an irritable badger, or any other some such?

Y'know what it's like to be an ape. Sometimes it can be freeing to get out of the monkey race and see how life is on the other side(s) for a bit.

And yeah...Guts...that white-haired leader he had that crush on....Gryphon, I think? (was a long time ago)

He creeped me out.

But the spoofs at the ends of the episodes were win.

Lucien
01-16-07, 11:45 PM
Aren't most other races just caricatures of human personality traits. There are humans that can be as graceful as elves or as angsty as dark elves. So, what you should be saying is;

Why limit yourself to a one dimensional clumsy ape when you could have a cunning ape, a noble ape, a graceful ape, a cute ape, or an irritable ape? Considering the wide array of human characters we have, I think you'll see we're not all angsty Aragorns.

Karuka
01-16-07, 11:51 PM
Aragorn was part Elf! :-P

And I think that we humans just have to describe these magnificent Others in human terms, otherwise we'd be so dang terrified of them we wouldn't touch them.

What if my next character was a big, hairy ol' spider? How many would eagerly come and play with that character?

AdventWings
01-16-07, 11:51 PM
That's Griffis, Miss Karuka. :p Nonetheless, he is certainly the creepiest leader/villian/major character with an innocent face I've seen. O.o

Humans are fun, too, at times. It's mostly because you can mess with your characters' heads and make 'em get into all sorts of awkward moments where you can play on their emotions. You know how fragile humans are, right? ;)

Murakama/Yamihara/Mikami: Hey~! What's that supposed to mean, Master Raven~?!?

Karuka
01-16-07, 11:56 PM
I play Drow all the time...and it amazees me just how easy it is to break a human mind.

'Tis fun.

And YES, that's the name! It's been almost four years since I watched part of the series, so cut me some slack!

Pretty boy...creepy...angel demon monster of DEATH...thing...eegh.

^_^'

The writer did a good job with him.

Lucien
01-16-07, 11:58 PM
Face it; humans don't have to follow a silly racial cliche.

And Raven dear, look at Letho's Profile.

Now look at Godhand's profile

Notice how frail humans are?

Karuka
01-17-07, 12:29 AM
Look at my profile!

Hai, we are such fragile creatures. We bruise at ANYTHING, and it takes us so dang long to heal.

And that's what I have to say on it, that and g'night, for now tis the hour of deepest dark, and I be up with th' light.

Nova
01-17-07, 08:01 AM
Face it; humans don't have to follow a silly racial cliche.

nor do any other race if you don't let them.

Fantasy races are the creation of our imagination and have as much flexability you can have a weak orc or a fat elf or a skinny dwarf that doesn't speak like a mad Scotsman. yes it's true because in real life we are human that these beings that come from our imagination would be based off of us but that doesn't mean they're going to have to follow the cliches of other fantasy novels. And after reading many I've found that the humans main characters fall into cliches as much as the elves or even dwarves. But like human characters the person doesn't have make a fox girl cunning, heck my nine tailed fox isn't very cunning and her magic is definitely not nine tails caliber. you have as many choices with your character as a human as a furry, elf or dwarf. the other races add an exoticism that our world lacks, and I really prefer them though I hate people thinking humans are better characters because they don't have to follow cliches but in fact niether does any species, it's up to the author to use cliches or not no matter the character.

AdventWings
01-17-07, 08:16 AM
@ Lucien: Well... They both need some kind of catharsis or else they're going to have mental breakdowns... You said so yourself. ;)

Nova hit it dead in the head, right there. Every single being is the creation of the writer's own imagination. Don't let the Box shut you in! :D

Ravenok Kinnes
01-18-07, 04:27 PM
True, true. Though I pick human, my humans are usually not like your average run-of-the mill human. Ravenok has that beastly temperament, and his hand-to-hand fighting style is ruthless, almost animalistic.

Rok has an inhuman sense of unselfishness and generosity. Again, these characteristics are my creations, without abiding by any rules or restrictions with the human race. I just pick them because they are plain and simple. If Rok or Ravenok were to be an elf, they'd probably have the same characteristics.

Also, I do believe there is ONE stereotype for humans. They, more than the other races, tend to have an insatiable thirst for power, and that greed corrupts many men and women. I speak of real life humans too, many of the world's great leaders now and before were corrupt. Even past presidents, such as those surrounding the Civil War Era, committed scandals and schemes to make more money for their pockets. So yeah, that's my opinion. If you don't like it, that's not my problem.

orphans
04-11-07, 12:03 PM
Mmmm >< I'm not sure if I'm going to get bapped on the head for bringing such an old topic to the front, but since it caught my interest... please forgive me?

If I could still have voted, I'd have chosen Other. I think that humans are definately the types of characters that most people can be familiar with because... well, we're obviously human, I think. So with that the case I like to try and branch out and see what happens. I'm not entirely sure what I base my characters off either, but my guess is a part of my personality pushed to the extremes. Unfortunately I have a hard time playing dwarven characters with a serious attitude because I view them as somewhat comical...

Azza's race and Azza herself are based off of moral of mostly oriental culture but with a almost westernized religious blended with a some more oriental philosophy train thought? (Talk about random thinking...) I've also found child characters a little more difficult to play personally, but I suppose my unfocused mind helps me in that aspect.

Nin is pretty much entirely based on traditional myths and legends about fox spirits in Japan, China, and Korea. There are a few major changes to it and tweeks but mostly stayed true to tradition.

Sirrus
08-26-07, 06:30 PM
Tough question. I've played in furre themed areas and didn't mind it, but if the character selection is open I'd have to say it's a toss-up between human and 'other.' I don't like playing uber characters all that much, and humans don't tend to be expected to be (not that I don't still get called a powergamer by lamers with no imagination).
However, most of the humans I've played are altered in some way, be it mutant powers in a Marvel hub or prophetic foresight in something more occult. I guess that counts as 'other,' huh.

Agnirei
10-24-07, 08:35 AM
Troll, though I find elves and humans fun too.

Sidhe
10-25-07, 07:22 AM
Who on earth separates elves and drow in a poll but lumps together vampires and demons...?

Well, my favorite so far has been vampires/demons, I suppose. Something about the superiority complex that comes with immortality makes for enjoyable dialogue and rhetoric. It'd have to be followed by elven/drow, since they're basically hyper-agile humans with better hearing and are generally more in tune with their surroundings, both physical and magical.

Sidhe is none of these. I haven't done human before, but it's just like writing realistic fiction outside of Althanas. I know what it's like to be a homo sapien. I suppose he also counts as a beast, though, given his transformations. That's pretty fun to write so far, RPing the effects of a wolf's senses or the sights witnessed by a crane soaring high above a forest.

Caden Law
10-25-07, 02:26 PM
*Puts on goggles, and funny leather cap-thing. Dons ugly cape. Smears self in vomit.*

HUMANS! ARE! SUPERIOR!!!

Seth_Rahl
10-25-07, 05:43 PM
Bassically, anything but human. >.< I don't know why humans don't appeal to me, but I see them as weak fragile creatures who can't become nearly as strong as their counterparts. I'll make my characters similar to humans in appearence and stuff, but i'll never make them true humans. Now, save Letho and others, who's humans could kick my demons and furrys and experment's and witch's asses. And I respect them for that. But you won't find me playing a human, eva.

Probably because i'm too influence by video games and anime. >.<

Gem
10-26-07, 09:20 AM
Dang, the voting is over... Oh well, that doesn't mean I can't put down my opinion here.

I personally like using races I create like this one for the simple reason that people can't tell me how my race is supposed to act, look, or anything like that. I know my race better than anyone else, so I never have to worry about racial restrictions.

brickshoemaster
01-31-08, 08:43 PM
Human, more fragile than most. So they have to use smarts to do something big

styles1005
02-24-08, 06:45 PM
Elves and werecreatures, definitely. I like creating different kinds, though, like Werespiders and Wind elves and that kind of thing, not just the usual elves and werewolves and vampires. I don't know whether this falls under other, beast, or elf. Hopefully other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem

Dang, the voting is over... Oh well, that doesn't mean I can't put down my opinion here.

I personally like using races I create like this one for the simple reason that people can't tell me how my race is supposed to act, look, or anything like that. I know my race better than anyone else, so I never have to worry about racial restrictions.

So do I! This is the exact thing that I like...