PDA

View Full Version : The Northern Crown (Open)

Kuroki
01-02-07, 08:31 PM
(((Open, Please join. I have a story planned, but it's only a basic idea. Feel free to add whatever you want.)))

"Stop," Hirota demanded. Her brother's voice seemed filled with worry as the young girl froze in her steps, stopped by his brawny arm. The man cautiously stepped forward, avoiding the large oak trees that touched the sky. Something had caught his eye, a glimmer up ahead. "Wait here. Don't move until I tell you."

Kuroki silently obeyed, nodding her head to where she though her brother was. The girl swore she only blinked for a second, but that was all it took to leave her alone in the woods. She shifted uncomfortably on the ground, a stiff sound moaned from the dirt. It was frozen; though the land lacked frost, the air still had enough of a chill to it. The sun above provided no comfort. It was veiled beneath a creamy layer of clouds that seemed to have no end.

It was the stillness that got to the shy girl. No sound beside her own uncomfortable fidgets. No soft rustle of dried brush, no twigs snapping; not a single sign of Hirota. Small squeals of nervous thoughts escaped the lass' lips as she kept turning her head left and right. The minutes stretched on like hours as cold sweat formed at her brow.

Before Kuroki had a chance to hyperventilate, the noise of squeaking gears caught her attention. She bit at her fingers slightly, afraid of who it could be. But Hirota slowly came into view, dragging a small, four wheeled carriage behind him. The wagon looked as if it had seen better days, much of its left side remained splintered. Even the dim glow of a cloudy day could not hide its faults.

"What did you find?" Kuroki trailed off towards the end, afraid of her brother's answer.

"There's a battlefield up ahead, or there was," mumbled Hirota. "It's more of a graveyard now." As her brother finally pulled into the small opening where she had waited restlessly, the girl noticed the red smears and rips on the canopy that covered the wretched carriage. The man began to unload was he had found. A crudely made spear that was more a sharpened stick, and a small chest filled with dried fruits and meats. There wasn't much food, but it would be more then they had for days.

"It's my fault we had to leave that village. I know Hirota's angry at me for it." Kuroki's mind was racked with guilt. "Salvar's such a harsh place." The girl noticed the wolf pelt they had brought with them from home inside the wagon. Hirota meant to use the thing as a make-shift home.

"I'll get a fire started," stated her brother firmly. "Go find some brush we can use to start it."

Nymph and Dragon
01-03-07, 12:01 AM
"The only thing humans are good at," Twyla muttered, daintily lifting her robe as she stepped over a skull, "is making messes."

This is a terrible place.

The nymph glanced at the foot-long dragon that stood in the grass behind her, its multi-faceted eyes dim as it surveyed the ground before them. The Elemental was sensitive to the aura of pain and death that lingered on the field and its moroseness carried clearly across the bond that linked their minds together and cast a pallid gloom over the afternoon's excursion.

Twyla frowned and moved forward, eyes roaming over the bone-ridden land. "Stop being such a pansy," she muttered. "I'm working here. This place is supposed to be the site of some important battles- important to the region, at least. It'll be good to have a first-hand description of it for my record. Once I've seen my fill, we can leave."

She paused when she realized that she'd been explaining herself to the dragon, as if she had to justify her actions to the unwanted creature that dogged her every step.

"Then again, maybe I'll just stay here for a while. Set up a camp and have a nice cookout."

The sound of something oddly akin to a snort echoed in her mind. You? Camp? That would be the day.

Twyla tried to repress her surprise so that the dragon wouldn't sense it. She hadn't realized that the little monster was even capable of sarcasm.

She lifted one hand to grasp a silver medallion that hung from a chain around her neck, a slight breeze rustling her hair as her eyes focused on a distant point in the sky.

Though reported to have been the location of one of the bloodiest wars ever to have been fought in Salvar, the ground before me gives testament only to the futility of human interaction. The land is verdant and lush, undoubtedly deemed "haunted" by any who might consider making use of its obviously fecund soil. This site is a merging of historic and recent conflict. Obvious traces of ancient battles remain, half-buried skeletons and rusty, outdated weapons mingle with still-rotting corpses and constructs that haven't even begun to be affected by rain. Though locals may consider the place sacred, plunderers have obviously not adhered to this sentiment and have helped themselves to anything of value that the dead soldiers had to offer. Such displays of human disrespect do not surprise me, being one accustomed to the manners of humans. In fact I find it amusing indeed that the battles that raged between tribes and clans that caused the deaths of countless men, women, and children have even been deemed as "inhumane," as if one should expect better from humanity.

You're not being very objective. The Elemental's voice sounded petulant.

"I don't have to be," Twyla replied loftily. "I am of a superior race, and my opinion is therefore more trustworthy. Now, if it were you that were making the record, you'd have to seriously temper your thoughts, because you are a being at a level that barely qualifies as sentient. Now shut up."

She refocused her thoughts onto the medallion, but as her gaze swept out she caught sight of movement near the surrounding forest. Squinting to make out the details, the nymph's eyes lit up with unconcealed enthusiasm.

Even now I can see a looter making off with something that was undoubtedly overlooked by the last vandals who mugged the battlefield-

Robbed, the Elemental interjected timidly. People are mugged, places are robbed.

Twyla turned to fix the green dragon with an icy glare. "Just for that, I'm going to go talk to that looter."

She turned on her heel and set off after the man, who had already disappeared into the trees a few hundred meters away.

That's not safe! The Elemental protested, though Twyla smugly sensed him crawling through the grass after her. He could be a robber!

“Don't you mean a mugger?” A triumphant smile curled the nymph's mouth, but she didn't slow her pace. She couldn't see the man anymore, but how far could a cart get through a forest? The line of trees grew steadily closer. “Besides, if he attacked you’d have to jump forward and protect me. It’s about time you started doing something other than criticize.”

The Elemental didn’t deem her comment worthy of a response.

Kuroki
01-06-07, 03:16 PM
The girl huddled close to the fire, her chilled flesh prickled by what little heat she felt. Like tiny needles the feeling went up her hands and legs, only relieved by more rubbing. What pale light was left felt useless with the thicket of trees surrounding the duo. Kuroki tightened her robe in preparation for another cold gust that was bound to happen.

"How many were there?" she squeaked. The girl didn't dare look her brother in the eye, fearing whatever grim look fell upon his face.

"Enough." Hirota was blunt as possible. He seemed curious with the small fire they started, keeping his eyes on the flickering flames. The man blinked for only a moment before continuing. "Keep quiet."

"Wh-" However soft Kuroki's tone was, it wasn't enough to satisfy her brother. The man hushed her between closed lips as he looked around them.

"It'll be dark soon. I don't want to meet up with whoever fought in that battle." All grew quiet again. Only the hard crackle of burning wood and soft light from the fire gave any information on their position.

The girl huddled herself up, uncomfortable looking at her brother. There was still a burning question in the back of her mind, a small statement she'd wanted to say since they left their home those long weeks ago. It had been too awkward to tell Hirota her doubts or fears, she knew what his answer would be.

"But I miss her," thought Kuroki. "I miss her a lot. I don't know what we're going to do without mother." The girl could only notice how on edge her brother looked. His hand ax was readied at his side, prepared to face any danger that threatened he or his kin.

Nymph and Dragon
01-07-07, 10:12 PM
"Blasted bushes. If I owned this land I'd buy a dragon and set him free to burn all this crap to tiny ashes," Twyla grumbled as she pushed her way through the low-hanging branches and thickets. Her long robes and cloak seemed to catch on every twig, forcing her to stop and free herself to preserve her garments.

Not all dragons breathe fire.

"No," she agreed sarcastically, "only the useful ones."

She almost smiled at the Elemental's resentful silence, but her lips pulled down instead as the lizard went beneath a bush that she got caught on, envying the ease with which he scurried across the ground.

Why don't you walk where there's less thicket? The dragon queried.

"Because then whoever's out there would know where I was, and I want to ensure that he isn't some kind of slave trading murderer before I reveal myself."

But you're talking aloud and stepping on dead leaves and rustling through bushes. He'd have to be deaf not to know you're coming.

Twyla stopped moving and glared at the Elemental. "I believe I've mentioned before that your words hold no value. When I feel like listening to animals communicate, I'll sit under a tree and appreciate birdsongs. Don't talk to me."

Mentioning birds made Twyla suddenly aware of the unexpected lack thereof. The forest, though far from dark, seemed somehow forebodingly still, as if the cold air had frozen all that once lived. The only sound, aside from what her movement generated, was the squeaking from the cart that the looter had been pulling the last time she’d glimpsed him. She was skirting wide of his path, using his noise as a landmark to keep herself from becoming hopelessly lost as she pushed deeper into the forest.

I don’t like this either. Let’s just go back so you can finish looking at the battlefield.

“Stop whining. I just want to talk . . .” The nymph cut herself off as the squeaking of gears suddenly stopped. For a few seconds she stood silently, head tilted as she strained to catch a sign of his location. The only thing she heard was her own breathing.

With a frustrated growl the nymph started moving again, eyebrows lowered in determination and hands in front of her face to shield it from attacking branches. The Elemental, which had been crawling in front of her, suddenly stopped, head lifted and ears perked attentively.

Wait, Twyla, I think-

“No, actually, you don’t.” She crossly stepped over him, eyes on the ground as she tried to keep from tripping over roots.

Pay attention!

The Elemental’s warning came too late. Twyla stumbled forward as her next step took her suddenly out of the thicket and into a clearing where a small fire burned cheerfully. Coming to an awkward stop with both hands outstretched, Twyla looked up and saw the fire and the cart, and assuming that the owners were about, slapped her hands to her face. Raising her eyes to look around the clearing, she swore silently as she tried to think of a way to pull up her hood without removing her hands from her face.